The 80s references

2»

Comments

• The whole banter between Hopper & Joyce (will they or won't they? do they hate each other or just should get a room?) is a throwback to Romancing the Stone AND Moonlighting
    kojiattwoodcdrive
  • AlexAlex Seattle
    When Nancy was shooting at Billy they used the Back to the Future car POV
    rkcrawf
  • I just watched Jaws and saw that Hopper's pickup was basically the same as Brody's  (paint job, model, etc.) minus the open top.
    kojiattwood
  • Im wondering if the Duffer Bros will cast people like Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall or Ally Sheedy in future seasons. Wouldn’t it be great to see Judd Nelson as the  principle of Hawkns High yelling at Mike in detention?
  • I'd KILL for a James Tolkan cameo.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 13
    rminator/Rocky 4: Russian dude
    miami vice/Pi magnum: hopper
    the blob/thing: the upside Monster
    day/dawn of the dead: the zombie people
    Alien: Nancy
    The Shining: Jake Busey
    stand by me: kid at the pool
    Rambo: fat hopper 
    close Encounters of the third kind: the spaceship ride
    Star Wars: El using the force
    Die Hard: Russian dude and Dustin in the Ducts as well as the conspiracy guy wearing a Wife beater and going into the ducts as well
    Weird Science: Russian scientist with the slurpee and mall
    Night of the Comet: El and Max in the mall
    something wicked comes this way: carnival, evil taking over innocent people
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Billy at the pool, all the Pheobe Cates mentions, Scoops Ahoy uniform/job.
    Gremlins: The automatic hammer
    Cat Clock: Back to the Future
    Raiders of the Lost Ark:  wearing the Russian military uniforms as a disguise, nodding while smiling
    The cool girl's name being "Heather" was surely a nod to Heathers.
    Wargames: key turn
    red dawn: Russians invading
    hard copy: tv
    ghostbusters: the station wagon looks like the ghost mobile in the last episode
    back to the future. Multiple references 
    never ending story: obvious
    aliens: the second tongue of the mind flayed 
    cerebro: X-men
    jurassic Park: hiding behind the car
    Indiana Jones: Steve/robin captured like Indy and Indy Sr

70 references
    jaws: mayors
    body snatchers: body’s being snatched
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^the Lord’s work, amigo 
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 13
    cdrive said:
    ^the Lord’s work, amigo 
    It’s funny I asked people to just copy, paste and add to the list. But the only person to do it was @awookiee ;)

• Hatorian said:
    It’s funny I asked people to just copy, paste and add to the list. But the only person to do it was @awookiee ;)

Sorry - I just figured I'd make sure you approved of my references before they were added....And they weren't so I guess they were too vague for Romancing the Stone and Moonlighting? Anyone? Bueller?
    Hatorian
  • adobo1148 said:
    Im wondering if the Duffer Bros will cast people like Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall or Ally Sheedy in future seasons. Wouldn’t it be great to see Judd Nelson as the  principle of Hawkns High yelling at Mike in detention?
    Maybe Molly Ringwald as Max’s mother?
    Michelle
  • How do you cast Cary Elwes and not do a Princes Bride reference? He could have said “ As you wish” while Fake terminator was roughing him up in the spinning vomitron ride
    kojiattwood
  • Hatorian said:
    cdrive said:
    ^the Lord’s work, amigo 

It got to a certain point that the references were beyond me and questionable so I figured I'd leave it up to you to decide what made the cut.  The guys had said quite a few different ones that I don't think were on here but I'd have to go back and listen, oh shucks maybe I'll just have to do that this week while I'm at work.  
    Hatorian
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Okay, telekinetic teenagers, I can buy. Possessed xenomorphic douchebag lifeguard flay monsters? No problem. Technology that can de-gauss kitchen magnets at long range but have no other noticeable effect on the environment? Hey, pal, Joyces gonna Joyce.

But an audience full of teenagers joyfully watching George Romero's 'Day of the Dead?' Not on this planet. I saw 'Day of the Dead' on opening night and it was me and about a half dozen hobos :)
    Hatorian