Discussion for episodes 307 & 308, "The Bite" and "The Battle of Starcourt"

13»

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 2019
    I'm glad Jim said a thing about how beautiful it looked.  The actual battle of star court in The Battle of Star Court was a god damn visual masterpiece.  So kudos to the person or group of persons who led the way on that.  You have an actual star-shaped court, a polygonal area which visually shoots great as a battle arena.  You have a large two-story cavity with glass ceiling and it's surrounded by a hodge-podge assortment of neon signs glowing different colors and blinking incandescent bulbs in displays.  Then that bouquet of light gets stretched and is complimented by all that shiny, reflective 80's veneer, tile and brass trimming.  Then you got satan's babies getting tossed from each point of this star's 2nd level. Green, Purple, Pink...all the wonderful fireworks colors.  And the monster has a wet slimy coating so all the light is reflecting off it as well. It was just really fucking beautiful.  
    HatorianAww_PHuuCkGredalBee
  • edited July 2019
    cdrive said:
    I'm glad Jim said a thing about how beautiful it looked.  The actual battle of star court in The Battle of Star Court was a god damn visual masterpiece.  So kudos to the person or group of persons who led the way on that.  You have an actual star-shaped court, a polygonal area which visually shoots great as a battle arena.  You have a large two-story cavity with glass ceiling and it's surrounded by a hodge-podge assortment of neon signs glowing different colors and blinking incandescent bulbs in displays.  Then that bouquet of light gets stretched and is complimented by all that shiny, reflective 80's veneer, tile and brass trimming.  Then you got satan's babies getting tossed from each point of this star's 2nd level. Green, Purple, Pink...all the wonderful fireworks colors.  And the monster has a wet slimy coating so all the light is reflecting off it as well. It was just really fucking beautiful.  
    I second this completely.  Both the sound and the visuals of this entire season were fantastic.  I watched it in a completely blacked out room on an OLED TV that excels in dark scenes and black levels and there aren't many shows or movies I've watched that have encapsulated me and put me right in the middle of it like this show did.  It might have part to do with how much I truly enjoy this show but regardless the visuals and audio was impressive.  The Russian machine firing up in the intro to the first episode was extremely impressive as well.  
    Hatoriancdrive
  • thirded
    awookieecdrive
  • awookiee said:
    cdrive said:
    I second this completely.  Both the sound and the visuals of this entire season were fantastic.  I watched it in a completely blacked out room on an OLED TV that excels in dark scenes and black levels and there aren't many shows or movies I've watched that have encapsulated me and put me right in the middle of it like this show did.  It might have part to do with how much I truly enjoy this show but regardless the visuals and audio was impressive.  The Russian machine firing up in the intro to the first episode was extremely impressive as well.  
    The sound design was ESPECIALLY good. I'd guess 50% or more of why the mind flayer zombie scenes were so effectively gross was the sound design. 
    awookiee
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Not to hijack this away from Stranger Things, but wasn't there some sort of Netflix update a month or two ago that upgraded their sound?

I don't know if that matters in this case, but that could be what helped things stand out. Maybe they were prepping for season 3. I also could be way off.
  • Not to hijack this away from Stranger Things, but wasn't there some sort of Netflix update a month or two ago that upgraded their sound?

I don't know if that matters in this case, but that could be what helped things stand out. Maybe they were prepping for season 3. I also could be way off.
    I don't know if it's new but I noticed Netflix defaults the audio for me to 5.1. I don't have surround sound so it ends up making dialogue hard to hear against loud sound effects. It reset every episode which is a pain in the ass.
  • edited July 2019
    So while I really liked Stranger Things 3, it's also my least favorite season. Its not a knock on it as I loooove the first 2 seasons and they were always a hard act to follow. The things that brought it down were these things:

- Very hammy performances. It was weird, I felt like Hopper was dialed up to 11 this season which probably wouldn't have bothered me if he wasn't so much more grounded like he was in prior seasons. Even the actors portraying the Russians were chewing up scenery which while matched the tone of the season, felt inconsistent with season 1 and 2.

- Team Ahoy in the Russian Secret Base. Steve, Dustin, Robin and Erica were easily my favorite things until they jumped in the elevator to the secret base. Then a lot of their plot got either very implausible or silly. 

- Neverending Story Sing-along. It was cool the first 30 seconds then it got extremely cringey.

Still, while these three flaws were some of the worst things of the show's entire run, season 3 offset them with real highs.

- Team Ahoy. While the Russian base portion of their subplot really took me out of it, everything else before and after were gold. Steve since season 2 has become by far my favourite character and loved the Robin twist. Erica as well was super fun.

- Max and Eleven Friendship. Their "boys suck" shopping spree at the mall alone was so delightful that it's in my top 3 moments of the season and possibly in the top 5 of the entire show. Glad that Eleven was able to enjoy a real friendship with another girl where she could just be a normal person. 

- The Finale. Outside of the neverending story song bit this was a very strong finale and loved the end battle. 

- Billy. What a great villain for the season even though he was possessed for pretty much all of it. I think it was the right call to have him die after his redemption. While I certainly wouldn't have minded more Billy post-redemption, after what the show did with Steve, it would've been redundant if Billy survived to be a Steve-lite in future seasons. I will say that I wish we got more scenes with Max interacting with Billy to really capitalize on his last words to her. Hell I think it would've been a cool twist if she was the only one person he refused to hurt after being possessed. 

All in all I'm very happy with the season and can't wait for season 4.

DoubleA_Ron
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    To the speculation that the last sentence of Hoppers letter to leave the door open 3 inches refers to the gate seems to forget that Hopper wrote that letter way before his death. Unless some sort of time travel is being foreshadowed for next season, maybe exploring the back to the future link I don't see the connection. I think it was just Hopper being Hopper and that's what makes El smile even through her pain.

The thing you're forgetting is that it's a work of fiction, and writers do things like that all the time. It's the same reason why it's 95% sure that "The American" isn't Hopper. The intention in the scene is to make the audience wonder if it's Hopper, so it's almost guaranteed to be someone else.

Also, not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there's some other evidence Hopper isn't dead. After Eleven reads Hopper's letter, "Heroes" plays. The other time they used "Heroes" was when they saw the fake Will being dragged out of the lake. I can't really think of another instance where they reused an actual song.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Pjhazel1 said:
    Not a fan of killing off Hopper or putting him in the upside down or whatever they did with him. But I know it’s supposed to also be a kids show so probably not great to kill off El’s dad/ the hero
    Definitely not supposed to be a kids' show. Remember the "surgery" from episode 8? That almost gave me nightmares.
  • ok i have a few thoughts/questions/theories about the timeline. bear with me i haven’t really had a chance to talk this out yet! sorry if this has been said!!

could the russians have already known about the upside down before eleven ever saw the demogorogan in the void? could it be that she wasn’t able to see the upside down without a gate being open?

season 3 opens in russia just about 8 months after the gate initially opens in hawkins, so i’m thinking maybe the russians opened their own gate before the events of season one. if so, maybe they released the demogorgan, making it visible to el in the void. this would explain why she’d never seen it before. plus, she sees it while spying on a russian, so maybe we can also speculate that the demogorgan was nearby (russia).

BUT i can’t imagine 8 months is enough time for the russians to find out about the upside down, study it, decide that they’d like to explore/weaponize it, AND build a machine to crack it open.  this makes me wonder if they hadn’t already opened a gate... what if the russians ACCIDENTALLY opened the gate (briefly) with some weapons testing gone bad and the demogorgan(s) escaped and terrorized them as well. maybe the russians aren’t trying to open the gate for nefarious reasons at all; maybe they’re trying to open the gate to get the demogorgan back in. they are unable to kill it (because they’re not eleven) so they feed it prisoners to keep it “happy” until they can get rid of it. maybe that’s why the russians are desperate enough to set up an (illegal?) operation on enemy soil

• Just finished it.  I really liked it but it wasn't the strongest of the three seasons for me.  I think I wasn't entirely in the right mood for it to be honest.  I hope if they have another season it will be released around Halloween again.  The acting was a bit off to me - Hopper and Erica for the good guys were a bit too much at times.  Hopper is usually more of a strong straight man if I recall, but this season he was more comic relief.  The Russians also seemed like Russian caricatures more than a serious army.  And I kept asking myself - why don't the good guys call the cops? But overall it was the fun nostalgia-ride I enjoyed in the previous two seasons.  Dustin is always a delight to watch and Steve and Dustin are still great.  I liked Robin as a new character.  I hope Jim Hopper isn't dead because even when overacting he is fun to watch in this show.  It feels like a soap-opera situation where they put an actor's character in peril during contract negotiations.  Some of the characters got short changed - The science teacher,  Lucas, Will, Will's Brother, even Nancy a bit.  I always get a kick out of seeing "prissy" Nancy get serious with the guns.  She is a fun character.  And of course Billy should have stayed mean for his own self-preservation - The season can't end until someone nice with a name beginning with "B" dies.

• Just finished it.  I really liked it but it wasn't the strongest of the three seasons for me.  I think I wasn't entirely in the right mood for it to be honest.  I hope if they have another season it will be released around Halloween again.  The acting was a bit off to me - Hopper and Erica for the good guys were a bit too much at times.  Hopper is usually more of a strong straight man if I recall, but this season he was more comic relief.  The Russians also seemed like Russian caricatures more than a serious army.  And I kept asking myself - why don't the good guys call the cops? But overall it was the fun nostalgia-ride I enjoyed in the previous two seasons.  Dustin is always a delight to watch and Steve and Dustin are still great.  I liked Robin as a new character.  I hope Jim Hopper isn't dead because even when overacting he is fun to watch in this show.  It feels like a soap-opera situation where they put an actor's character in peril during contract negotiations.  Some of the characters got short changed - The science teacher,  Lucas, Will, Will's Brother, even Nancy a bit.  I always get a kick out of seeing "prissy" Nancy get serious with the guns.  She is a fun character.  And of course Billy should have stayed mean for his own self-preservation - The season can't end until someone nice with a name beginning with "B" dies.

Alexei, granted he started out "bad" but he was definitely going down the path of living in the basement of Murray Boeman's place.
  • Spoilers
    So my take on Hopper is that when he pushed the Terminator into the machine, it created an electromagnetic field that prevented him from escaping. When the machine exploded, the field protected him from the de-atomization but the explosion still knocked him out. We see the Russians charge in while Joyce and Murray mourn and they escape. Joyce and Murray don't run into the Marines until they get to the elevators, approx 9 miles away. Then we see that there are no Russians left when the Marines charge through the facility. Thus the Russians found Hopper knocked out and took him when they did their escape