Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    My husband and I saw the movie Yesterday today.

The basic premise is that an unsuccessful musician wakes up in the hospital after an accident to discover that somehow he's the only one who knows of The Beatles or their music. So he decides to sing their songs and pass them off as his own.

I'm a *huge* Beatles fan, so I was super excited about this movie, and was already primed to enjoy it. And I did. It was funny, and sweet - more of a RomCom than I went in expecting, but I didn't mind that.

I looked when I got home, and was surprised to see that it's not getting very good reviews. Maybe the soundtrack is so fantastic that it made me overlook what some other people didn't like? I don't know. But I do think that you'll like this movie if you're a Beatles fan!   :)
    If you ever make your way to Vegas (and maybe you have already) check out the Cirque de Soliel show Love. I saw it this past April and it was an amazing and moving experience. Loved it. 
    April_May_Junerkcrawf
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    If you ever make your way to Vegas (and maybe you have already) check out the Cirque de Soliel show Love. I saw it this past April and it was an amazing and moving experience. Loved it. 
    I want to see that show SO BAD!

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:
    I’m not a Beatles fan at all, but I love Himesh Patel, so I kinda want to see this. I love that he’s got a starring role in a mainstream movie. I also had no idea he could sing! 
    He's really good in this! Very funny, and his singing voice is amazing!
    Just got back from seeing it and I really enjoyed it. No real surprises, but the British have a knack for making things not quite as twee as they could be. There were so many actors I really like in it - Joel Fry, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Meera Syal, etc. 

Also, that’s the most Ed Sheeran music I’ve ever heard in my life. 
    April_May_June
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I've been on a real horror binge lately, and while I'm not going to list them all, two have stuck out in the last week.

The Vault of Horror (1973) - The quasi-sequel to the Tales from the Crypt movie, but British. It's a really quick anthology that was a lot of fun, decent enough acting, and some good deaths. It's on Shudder. The 4th Doctor was in it, so special bonus points. It was five stories, and I'd say four were really good.

Intruder (1989) - A cliche (in a good way) slasher flick that takes place in a super market. Some very unique deaths, terrible 80's acting, both Raimi brothers, and a special appearance from Bruce Campbell. It's exactly what I want out of a campy slasher. Weird note, if you seek it out, don't look at the movie poster on IMDB (and maybe other places?) because it weirdly spoilers the killer.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Finally watch Blade Runner 2049. Was always turned off by the 3 hour runtime and never was a huge fan of the first so I just let it be. But I finally put it on and got hooked. Probably the most beautiful movie I’ve ever seen. Amazing cinematography. And the deliberate use of very slow scenes build a lot of emotion and tension but that’s also the cause Of its 3 hours...overall it was at RT level. A good B+. They didn’t really pay off Joes’s love and it was heart wrenching to see the last scene and wanting to know more. 
    FreddyBroRad33ken haleSchlupp
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Hatorian said:
    Finally watch Blade Runner 2049. Was always turned off by the 3 hour runtime and never was a huge fan of the first so I just let it be. But I finally put it on and got hooked. Probably the most beautiful movie I’ve ever seen. Amazing cinematography. And the deliberate use of very slow scenes build a lot of emotion and tension but that’s also the cause Of its 3 hours...overall it was at RT level. A good B+. They didn’t really pay off Joes’s love and it was heart wrenching to see the last scene and wanting to know more. 
    The way they handled the timeline was great.
    Hatorian
    Freddy said:
    Hatorian said:
    The way they handled the timeline was great.
    Spoilers for BR49......

it was great. They did an amazing job of making 2 AI fall in love. Just wish it had a more satisfying conclusion for Joe and Joi. 
    edited July 15
    Took the kids to see Spider-Man. Spoilers....

I thought it was one of the worst MCU movies. I don’t follow the MCU Super close so maybe I missed some things but 2 points really stood out that just ruined my experience of the movie the entire time. 

1. Wasn’t Peter in the blip? So how is he the same age and/or is high school class still the same? Makes no sense. Either he’s older or their older. 

2. So the greatest US government/shield operative doesn’t know Beck as someone who was literally 30 feet from Tony Stark at one of his big announcements? We’re supposed to believe the guy who started the avengers and was the number 1 key operative just didn’t notice Beck? They even make a point at the end of the movie to say Fury didn’t know...seriously? So the big reveal is like 4 people connected to previous events all seem to be able to deceive the world?? Really? 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Hatorian said:

I thought it was one of the worst MCU movies. I don’t follow the MCU Super close so maybe I missed some things but 2 points really stood out that just ruined my experience of the movie the entire time. 

1. Wasn’t Peter in the blip? So how is he the same age and/or is high school class still the same? Makes no sense. Either he’s older or their older. 

2. So the greatest US government/shield operative doesn’t know Beck as someone who was literally 30 feet from Tony Stark at one of his big announcements? We’re supposed to believe the guy who started the avengers and was the number 1 key operative just didn’t notice Beck? They even make a point at the end of the movie to say Fury didn’t know...seriously? So the big reveal is like 4 people connected to previous events all seem to be able to deceive the world?? Really? 
    1. Pretty much all of the kids Peter is friendly with were taken in the blip too. It's not the most elegant story telling but it gives them the space to make these movies without weird age gaps.

2. The villain side of things always tends to be the weakest aspect of a Marvel movie, and I didn't necessarily like Mysterio either (did like Gyllenhaal in the role though). Quick question though, did you stick around for the post credits scenes, the second one in particular? That might have some answers re. your problem with Nick Fury.
    Hatorianrkcrawf
    amyja89 said:
    Hatorian said:

1. Pretty much all of the kids Peter is friendly with were taken in the blip too. It's not the most elegant story telling but it gives them the space to make these movies without weird age gaps.

2. The villain side of things always tends to be the weakest aspect of a Marvel movie, and I didn't necessarily like Mysterio either (did like Gyllenhaal in the role though). Quick question though, did you stick around for the post credits scenes, the second one in particular? That might have some answers re. your problem with Nick Fury.
    2. No but I just looked it up. Makes sense now but I sat through the movie with my arms crossed disappointed. Sort of ruined the movie for me as the entire time I’m like wtf SHIELD..I couldn’t focus on the good parts with this nagging issue of how Beck was able to get away with what he did in the first place. 
  • Caught Captain America: The First Avenger on FXNow. I hadn't seen it since it came out however many years ago. It holds up reasonably well, despite the formulaic superhero movie structure. A few pleasant things that I never noticed (having not gone back for a rewatch):
    1. Callbacks (or Call forwards): "I can do this all day" and "On your left"
    2. The fate of Bucky in this movie really calls into question of how he survives and why he didn't age. My memory is fuzzy. Will need to rewatch Winter Soldier next.
    3. The fate of the Red Skull. Man, that seems really well thought out, given where he shows up during Infinity War.

awookiee
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Hatorian said:

1 - yes he was, along with most of the other key cast kids. They made a point of referencing the other kid on their trip that wasn't dusted in the snap and went from one of the characters younger brothers to now being his 'older' brother.

2 - As mentioned, the post credits scene solves the problem of Fury not knowing WTF was going on. I said in the spider-man movie thread this also almost ruined the movie for me until the final reveal.

I actually (semi-jokingly) predicted that reveal on Reddit about a week after Captain Marvel came out and how it played into Infinity War, just didn't know I'd be correct or that it would happen in Spider-man. In Captain Marvel they seem to give you the 'code' to figure out when Fury is and isn't Fury, just need to watch further back in the MCU to see how consistent it is.
    Hatorian
    edited July 17
    It’s not a movie. It’s a Netflix special. But Frankenstein’s monsters Frankenstein Monster. Was pretty good. Enjoyed the tongue and cheek about a lot of cinema tropes. David harbour can do no wrong. Even if hellboy sucked

i liked how it was only 30 minutes and was an easy watch. I hope Netflix does some more of these types of 1 episode specials with good actors. 
  • Hatorian said:
    It’s not a movie. It’s a Netflix special. But Frankenstein’s monsters Frankenstein Monster. Was pretty good. Enjoyed the tongue and cheek about a lot of cinema tropes. David harbour can do no wrong. Even if hellboy sucked

i liked how it was only 30 minutes and was an easy watch. I hope Netflix does some more of these types of 1 episode specials with good actors. 
    Hellboy was certainly not a great movie, but for some reason I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun watching it.  I was so happy to hear A.Ron give it some love during their first run Bald Movie.  I'll have to check out that Netflix special.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 21
    The Art of Self-Defense. Loved it. The epitome of a dry, dark comedy. Very much like a deadpan version of Fight Club. I will say, it's not for everyone.

Freddy said:
    The Art of Self-Defense. Loved it. The epitome of a dry, dark comedy. Very much like a deadpan version of Fight Club. I will say, it's not for everyone.

I’ve been really looking forward to that one, I’ve heard great things 
  • I love my Apple 4k TV and I love it when Apple puts on some amazing sales. $4.99 for Prisoners, Rounders, Boiler Room, Hell or High Water and Hackshaw Ridge. 
    Chinaski
    Hatorian said:
    I love my Apple 4k TV and I love it when Apple puts on some amazing sales. $4.99 for Prisoners, Rounders, Boiler Room, Hell or High Water and Hackshaw Ridge. 
    I love mine too. Unfortunately it croaked after the most recent firmware update. I’ve had it few years, so it’s out of warranty. They sent me a new one anyway. I’ve had nothing but great customer service with Apple. I’m sure people have some horror stories, like with any company, but I’m not one of them. The quality of those 4K movies is pretty awesome if you have a good internet speed. 
    Hatorian
  • Hatorian said:
    I love my Apple 4k TV and I love it when Apple puts on some amazing sales. $4.99 for Prisoners, Rounders, Boiler Room, Hell or High Water and Hackshaw Ridge. 
    I love mine too. Unfortunately it croaked after the most recent firmware update. I’ve had it few years, so it’s out of warranty. They sent me a new one anyway. I’ve had nothing but great customer service with Apple. I’m sure people have some horror stories, like with any company, but I’m not one of them. The quality of those 4K movies is pretty awesome if you have a good internet speed. 
    I’ve never paid for a servicing with Apple. They have replaced everything from motherboards to cracked screens for free outside of the warranty a few times I’ve had to escalate and ask them to look at how many devices I’ve purchased using my iTunes account. But most of the time it’s hassle free and they just fix it no questions asked.  

A week ago My IPhone X  had this vertical green line on the left side of the phone. I took it into the Apple store and the guy said unfortunately the green line is a display issue that’s not covered so you have to pay $400 to fix it...I was like WTF...

but then he proceeded to say, however, if you are having any issues with the touch screen on your X we are currently fixing them for free. Wink wink. So I was like “oh yea, my touchscreen has been real sensitive lately some apps like my podcast app and music app will shut on and off for no reason when I put it back in my pocket.” Which is actually true. I do have that issue. He was like ok come back in a hour and we will have you sorted. Hour later got a brand new display and best of all didn’t need to back anything up or restore. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Just recently rewatched Pleasantville and then today Election; I’ve seen both several times but it’s been a while since I have watched either.

Pleasantville is still delightful, and beautiful to look at. The message is not subtle, but I can forgive that in a 20 year old movie.

Election’s got some questionable stuff in this #metoo era - the whole 16-year-old-seductress trope is not a good look, but it’s toned down a lot from the book (which I also just re-read for the first time in years and holy shit is that a sad sack middle aged man’s lament). It’s still a pretty great movie - Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick are fantastic. And let’s be real, we’ve all known a Tracy Flick. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Roadhouse. Watched it Friday night. Gloriously 80s. Ridiculous and terrible and hilarious. 

ChinaskiDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    Roadhouse. Watched it Friday night. Gloriously 80s. Ridiculous and terrible and hilarious. 

1000% to this haha! some hilarious wtf memorable moments :D

-Dalton doing Ti Chi as the bad guy stares like a creep from across the lake on his motorcycle
    -Dalton causally shopping at a hardware store in a karate gi and jeans
    -Dalton rips a dudes throat out. and if that wasn't enough he then roundhouse kicks him into the lake
    -'A Polar Bear fell on me...'

this would be such a fun BM podcast!
    cdrive
  • one of my favourite scenes in Parks and Rec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N2jRPRyKWg

I could watch Chris act out movies all day long. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I went to see The Peanut Butter Falcon, and it's one of the best movies I've seen in a really long time. I think the best way to see it is going in knowing nothing, so I won't really say too much about it. It definitely has an indie movie feel to it, but if that doesn't turn you off, you should try and find a way to go see it.

Shia LaBoeuf is almost as good an actor as he is a crazy person in real life.
    Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:

1000% to this haha! some hilarious wtf memorable moments :D

-Dalton doing Ti Chi as the bad guy stares like a creep from across the lake on his motorcycle
    -Dalton causally shopping at a hardware store in a karate gi and jeans
    -Dalton rips a dudes throat out. and if that wasn't enough he then roundhouse kicks him into the lake
    -'A Polar Bear fell on me...'

this would be such a fun BM podcast!
    Agreed!  They did a fantasy movie watch.  Doing a watch of Road House via "classically awful 80s action movies" would be so fun.  

Also another gem from Road House:  "Pain don't hurt!"

Chinaski
    Bigfoot trucks appeared in Cannonball Run II (1984), Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985), Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989), Road House (1989), Tango & Cash (1989), and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003).
    Chinaski
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    If you enjoy Danny McBride I recommend you check out The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter on Netflix. It stars Josh Brolin, Danny McBride, Carrie Coon and Scoot McNairy. Directed by McBride creative partner Jody Hill and written by McBride and Hill. 
  • fidoz said:
    If you enjoy Danny McBride I recommend you check out The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter on Netflix. It stars Josh Brolin, Danny McBride, Carrie Coon and Scoot McNairy. Directed by McBride creative partner Jody Hill and written by McBride and Hill. 
    Wow.  Yet another inexplicable failure of Netflix's non-existent marketing department.  How could I not know they put this out last year?  Thanks for mentioning it!
  • Rampage (2018).  I think it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but at least you can laugh at it, so I kind of had fun!
  • If you like Danny Mcbride and also Jack Black/Tenacious D check out Roadie....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1acvZRvV4
    ken hale