Succession - HBO

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It is interesting how that is such a bugaboo for some, but I never even noticed. It definitely came up on the /Film podcast when I listened today, it didn't bother any of the podcasters, but they did mention how they heard plenty of people that were on your side of the camp, @ken hale

They did bring up an idea that was bubbling around in my head, but that I could never really put words to, for anyone thinking this show is just about rich people being jerks to one another, it definitely is that. But it also treats wealth as a kind of curse. None of them are happy, they are constantly having to stay on guard, protect their interests, and always looking over their back and decipher each conversation that is had, because they don't know what is legitimate or what is not. Sure being rich means that you have one less problem or worry (about being poor), but the way this show treats it, I really do feel sorry for the kids that they were raised in such a cut-throat way. There is no way you could be a normal functioning member of society when you are subjected to everything they were. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I don't see no damn Connor in that trailer!
  • Freddy said:
    I don't see no damn Connor in that trailer!

His presidential campaign must have gone the Jeb Bush route.
  • Full season 2 trailer, I'm pumped

FreddyNoel
  • Season 2 is getting some solid coverage. The Ringer of course is covering it extensively, but now I'm seeing that Joanna Robinson and David Chen are doing a separate podcasts on it with different partners. I for one am all here for Succession content! wish Bald Move would give it a chance but I know they're going to be slammed with Rick and Morty etc. this month
    NoelTeresa from Concorddarthcaedus1138
  • Succession was a big hit last year, and a great watch.  I hope Bald Move can cover it....
    ken haleMrX
    I am glad this is getting a big ad-push as well as some podcast coverage. Last year I felt like I was one of 10 people actually watching the damn thing. It is so, so good. 
    NoelMrX
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I am glad this is getting a big ad-push as well as some podcast coverage. Last year I felt like I was one of 10 people actually watching the damn thing. It is so, so good. 
    Make that 11 haha. I guess us Californians really know how to find the good shit. 
    MrX
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I have a crush on Shiv. Can’t wait for season 2.
    MrXFreddydarthcaedus1138
  • I really can't understand why this show is not getting the coverage or the following it deserves . Last season was a truly great season of television and the reviews for the 2nd season seem to be great. People seem to be skeptic about it because it's about rich people but they're missing the point that show is making fun of those rich people and showing what miserable fuck they are and not glorifying them 
    darthcaedus1138
    mft9186 said:
    I really can't understand why this show is not getting the coverage or the following it deserves . Last season was a truly great season of television and the reviews for the 2nd season seem to be great. People seem to be skeptic about it because it's about rich people but they're missing the point that show is making fun of those rich people and showing what miserable fuck they are and not glorifying them 
    Sure as fuck looks like the life to me, and I can't wait to live it. Elephants for my kids. Companies for my kids. Extorting my kids. The life.
    mft9186
  • edited August 2019
    This show is so good and absolutely deserves some form of coverage. It’s wickedly funny like Veep while also being an expertly tuned family drama. In some way, I enjoy all the characters! Really something special, binged the first season in like 3 days when it finished last year and renewed my HBO sub just for it (And Righteous Gemstones).
    mft9186FreddyNoel
    edited August 2019
    This show is so good and absolutely deserves some form of coverage. It’s wickedly funny like Veep while also being an expertly tuned family drama. In some way, I enjoy all the characters! Really something special, binged the first season in like 3 days when it finished last year and renewed my HBO sub just for it (And Righteous Gemstones).
    I don't know about it being quite as funny as Veep. There are some scenes where Jonah gets ripped on that are unreal. The one where he gets called an unregistered sex offender comes to mind.

That being said, I've never watched an episode of Succession twice. I imagine it could be like The Wire where it just keeps getting funnier the more you've seen it.
    Noeldarthcaedus1138
    @Freddy I just listened to a review on Pop Culture Happy Hour and they love it as much as we do. And two reviewers commented on how much better an episode is on second viewing. I’m gonna take that advice and rewatch season 2, episode 1. 
    edited August 2019
    Exhibit J:

Seriously though: Connor Roy for President.
    darthcaedus1138
  • Freddy said:
    I don't know about it being quite as funny as Veep. There are some scenes where Jonah gets ripped on that are unreal. The one where he gets called an unregistered sex offender comes to mind.

That being said, I've never watched an episode of Succession twice. I imagine it could be like The Wire where it just keeps getting funnier the more you've seen it.

Yes there is so much fast dialogue that it really benefits from a 2nd watch - lots of really funny and creative insults being lobbed around.
  • Another stellar episode , this show has the best writing on TV  " looking for pussy like a fucking techno Gatsby "  that line killed me last night 
    FreddyMrXNoeldarthcaedus1138Doctor_Nick
  • Jeremy Strong is giving a Baldie-worthy performance this season. His ruthless dismantling of Vaulter was amazingly written and performed.
    Noelmft9186darthcaedus1138
  • mft9186 said:
    I really can't understand why this show is not getting the coverage or the following it deserves . Last season was a truly great season of television and the reviews for the 2nd season seem to be great. People seem to be skeptic about it because it's about rich people but they're missing the point that show is making fun of those rich people and showing what miserable fuck they are and not glorifying them 
    I can't speak for everyone who lacks enthusiasm for this show, and I can't even really articulate my own reasons for it, but I find it really difficult to get through an episode, much less binge it now that I've fallen behind.  I mean, I started this topic and I'm just now trying to finish episode 7 (again).  I don't know why.  It's well-written and funny and everything, there's just something about the tone of it that makes it less than fun to watch.
    mft9186
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited August 2019
    Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Cousin Greg. Quickly becoming one of my favorite side characters in all of HBO’s history. The actor who portrays him recently went on Colbert’s show and it was gold.

https://youtu.be/hr--GsnnaM8

(Hopefully that link works ok. I’m on mobile and don’t know what I’m doing)
    ken haledarthcaedus1138
  • ken hale said:
    mft9186 said:
    I can't speak for everyone who lacks enthusiasm for this show, and I can't even really articulate my own reasons for it, but I find it really difficult to get through an episode, much less binge it now that I've fallen behind.  I mean, I started this topic and I'm just now trying to finish episode 7 (again).  I don't know why.  It's well-written and funny and everything, there's just something about the tone of it that makes it less than fun to watch.
    I totally get that , it might not be for everyone and if you still don't get it after the first 5-6 episodes then it might just not be your taste . For me it's one of those few show where the trailer sold me the show and I was in from the beginning , maybe it has to do with me growing up watching family Dynamics soap operas ( I didn't grow up in the USA ) 
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Personally it took me about 5 months to get through the first 6 episodes and then somewhere around 6/7/8 it got really good and I blew through the rest of the season the night before season 2 started. I only ever pushed through because I kept hearing how good the ending was and it was definitely worth it, but it took some time to get used to what the show is going for. Especially at the beginning everybody is an unlikable shitbag. It's got a lot of jokes and witty dialogue but it's not funny the way Always Sunny or Archer or other shows that have irredeemable characters are, so I found it really hard to care about what happens to any of these people and it felt like just watching rich assholes be rich assholes. Towards the end and especially when Kendall started to put together his big plan the characters felt a LOT more filled out and interesting which made the show miles better.
    ken hale
  • edited August 2019
    Finally sat down and watched episodes 1 and 2 this afternoon and damn this show certainly doesn't disappoint.  I can't believe how engaged I am watching people that I couldn't be more different from but it is entertaining as hell.  @MrX mentioned it before but Jeremy Strong with his speech as he told all the Vaulter employees to basically get the fuck out was downright amazing.  Extremely well acted and I'm really curious to see how the rest of this season goes.  Shiv just burned her bridge and now it seems like Logan (the dad) is bringing Kendall in closer with the company.  Was he sincere in regards to the conversation he had with Shiv or what's going on there.  Side note, Shiv's husband is hands down the biggest deusch bag on the show in my opinion.  I feel bad for cousin Greg because he seems like the only person on the show that actually has a heart. Really wish we had the Bald Move treatment for this show because it definitely would bring about some amazing discussions.

NoelTeresa from Concorddarthcaedus1138
    What the fuck...
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Brian Cox was throwing straight high heat this episode.
    NoelFreddy
  • fidoz said:
    Brian Cox was throwing straight high heat this episode.

Boar on the floor! Boar on the floor!

I need to watch again to appreciate all the one-liner insults he was slinging.
    FreddyNoel
    Since it’s no spoilers all I can say is I’ve lost my appetite for sausages. Another great episode. 
    FreddyNoel
  • Haven't laughed this hard during a tv episode since ..... Succession aired the episode " Prague" last season.  This show is a gem 
    Teresa from Concord
    Holy shit. That went straight into horror movie territory. Good god that was difficult...yet amazing to watch.