Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones

2»

Comments

• It's probably a cliche of sorts now, but way back in the 90's when I was working in the music business I heard several musicians say that they didn't mind being hated because at least they were evoking a response - they were making you feel something.  What they feared was apathy.

Apathy is where I'm at with Chappelle...I don't know if I'd like or not like this special, the honest truth is that I don't care enough to find out.
    hisdudeness915blacksunrise7
  • This just popped up on my Youtube feed...

JaimieTdarwinfeeshycdriveblacksunrise7hisdudeness915Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • I'm just annoyed I have to suffer another round of people who think they're awesome because they can make the "If it takes a few kids getting molested to get Billie Jean, then maybe we throw MJ a few kids!" joke. It reminds me of the time after Louis CK had his "I want to keep saying f**got because I don't really mean it as a gay insult" bit and every douche on the block thought they had a license to calling people that.

At least it's a really great, giant, blinking "Asshole" light for everyone
    CretanBullblacksunrise7
  • This just popped up on my Youtube feed...

Mine too !! I’m so glad you posted it. 
    CretanBull
  • AlexAlex Seattle
    Its hard to enjoy a  tv show or movie once you loose your suspension of disbelief. I think in the same way, it's hard to laugh at a comedian's work if you are offended or decided before hand that you are going to be offended.  I thought it was funny, not Chappelle's best work, but it's still better than most of the specials on Netflix.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagrarhcoop
  • I thought it was funny also but that TYT clip changed my mind a little bit. I agree, the Trans joke was lame. I wonder if he just did that joke so he would have an excuse to make a racist Chinese impression... or needed to fill a few minute to have a full hour.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Alex said:
    Its hard to enjoy a  tv show or movie once you loose your suspension of disbelief. I think in the same way, it's hard to laugh at a comedian's work if you are offended or decided before hand that you are going to be offended.  I thought it was funny, not Chappelle's best work, but it's still better than most of the specials on Netflix.

But what if you decide before hand that you don't even want to watch it? Is it still hard then? God I hope so.
  • I thought it was funny also but that TYT clip changed my mind a little bit. I agree, the Trans joke was lame. I wonder if he just did that joke so he would have an excuse to make a racist Chinese impression... or needed to fill a few minute to have a full hour.
    I think Contrapoints (sorry, I forget her name off hand) was right...he has a stubborn insistence to be what he thinks edgy is, but as she pointed out - listen to your audience.  That stuff is old and played out.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Did anyone watch the epilogue? It's a little half hour thing that shows when he did some shows on Broadway and I think another place but he opens it up to a Q&A. At one point he tells a story of a trans woman who came to 4 out of his 6 shows in San Francisco and he said as he was going through the set, he could see her laughing and he thought to himself, should I do these jokes? Obviously he still did them but she laughed even harder at those. There is more to it, and maybe it really happened but the cynical side of me also thought it sounded like when a politician says something like "I met a working mother today that...." and then some story that absolutely never happened follows just so they can make a point.
    CretanBull
  • Did anyone watch the epilogue? It's a little half hour thing that shows when he did some shows on Broadway and I think another place but he opens it up to a Q&A. At one point he tells a story of a trans woman who came to 4 out of his 6 shows in San Francisco and he said as he was going through the set, he could see her laughing and he thought to himself, should I do these jokes? Obviously he still did them but she laughed even harder at those. There is more to it, and maybe it really happened but the cynical side of me also thought it sounded like when a politician says something like "I met a working mother today that...." and then some story that absolutely never happened follows just so they can make a point.
    Even if true, there's a difference between a fan who pays to go to a show and the much wider audience who watch Netflix.  More over though, as Contrapoints said - it's an old and dated joke,  Maybe it was funny 5 years ago, but culture has shifted since then and even if your views haven't changed with the times it's still an old joke.  At his peak, Chappelle is one of the best comedians in the world...I'd expect more than a recycled joke and/or a joke that's out of touch.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    He has more than one joke about them.
    CretanBull