Read any good books lately?

2»

Comments

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited December 2017
    So I keep a running reading list, thought i'd share, see if anyone else felt like doing the same or had any highlights from 2017. Think my list shows i'm a total history and politics geek, so I don't expect it to be everyone's cup of tea.

December -
     Homage to Catalonia George Orwell Ongoing
    1984 - George Orwell
    The Guns of August Book - Barbara W. Tuchman (Ongoing)
    November - Stalin: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928 - Stephen Kotkin
    Storm Before the Storm - Mike Duncan
    October - Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar - Simon Sebag Montefiore 
    Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari
    September - A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawkins, The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins ,Hitch 22 - Christopher Hitchens
    August - Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy - Francis Fukuyama
    July - The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution - Francis Fukuyama
    June - Stanley Kubrick and Me: Thirty Years at His Side - Emilio D'Alessandro, Filippo Ulivieri 
    The Stanley Kubrick Archives Hardcover - Alison Castle
    April - The Silk Roads: A New History of the World Peter Frankopan
    March - Napoleon the Great - Andrew Roberts 
    The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan (Unfinished)
    February - Somme: Into the Breach - Hugh Sebag-Montefiore
    January - The War that Ended Peace Margaret MacMillan
    A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts - Professor Robert Bucholz
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I just finished Disobedience by Naomi Alderman, a really great novel about an affair between a Rabbi’s wife and female cousin of her husband.

It’s been made in to a movie starring Rachel McAdams and Rachel Weisz and I can’t wait to see it next year!
  • slowly (tho it's not long) reading the new phillip pullman book.
    Talking of books, does anybody else use Goodreads to track their reading? If so, let's be friends!

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6048309-amy-andrews
    DaveyMac
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

The Tao of Bill Murray

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2017
    In mostly chronological order for 2017, I collected some of the series out of order.

Old Man's War - Scalzi, John

This Brutal World Chadwick

The Walking Dead- Volumes 3-8 Kirkman, Robert

Sandman Vol 10: The Wake and Overture Gaiman, Neil

Ammonite - Griffith, Nicola

Batman Noir - Snyder

Lush Life- Price

American Gods- Gaiman, Neil

Deep State, Vol 1 - Jordan

The Day in its Color: Charles Cushman's Photographic Journery Through a Vanishing America- Sandweiss

Known And Strange Things: Essays -Cole, Teju

The Art of Inequality: Architecture, Housing and Real Estate -Reinhold

Wolf in White Van - Dainelle

Amazing Spider-Man Ommibus Vol 1,- Lee, Stan

A Scanner Darkly- Dick, Philip K

Just Kids- Smith- Patti

Foundation- Asimov, Isaac

Chinatown Beat- Chang, Henry

When Gravity Fails- Effinger, George Alec

Budayeen Nights- Effinger, George Alec

Masters of Mankind: Essays and Lecture, 1969-2013- Chomsky, Noam

Norse Mythology- Gaiman, Neil

Jack of Shadows- Zelazny, Roger

Providence- Act 1- Moore, Alan

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold- Le Carre, John

A Legacy of Spies- Le Carre, John

Six Wakes- Lafferty, Mur

Shadowrun: The Neo Anarchists' Guide to Real Life, Seattle Sourcebook and Anarchy

Call for the Dead- Le Carre, John

Jhereg- Brust, Steven

FlashGordonDaveyMac
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    I'm currently reading EA: IRS Enrolled Agent
    It's a page turner, let me tell you. Alternative Minimum Tax rules, taxable capital gains basis rules on gifts and transfers, like kind exchanges and what not. WHAT? C'mon son!
    DeeFlashGordonFlukes
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited December 2017
    Just checked my Goodreads list as I keep track every year on there. I've got a mixture of novels and comics. These are in chronological order of when I completed them on Goodreads.

Monstress by Marjorie M, Liu

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet - Book 1 by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Inglourious Basterds: Screenplay by Quentin Tarantino

Django Zorro by Quentin Tarantino

Death's End by Cixin Liu

A Personal Anthology by Jorge Luis Borges

Black Panther: 
    A Nation Under Our Feet - Book 2 by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker (I read this as a part of local book club with friends)

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet - Book 2 by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Empire of Signs by Roland Barthes (Book club)

The Wall of Storms by Ken Liu

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (Book club)

East of Eden by John Steinbeck (Probably my favorite book that I read this year)

Salmon Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan (Book club) (worst book I read this year)

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny (Book club)

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Currently Reading:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
    Travis
  • @amyja89 I did the Goodreads add from you link above. 
    amyja89
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Just ordered this:

Looking forward to it. I rarely ever buy physical books anymore. 
    Noel
  • I don't know how I missed this thread over the past few years.

My sleeper addition to this list would be Clifford D. Simak's Way Station. It is a science fiction book from 1963 about aliens wanting to  have a way station on teleporting through the galaxy. They find a civil war veteran who agrees to let them use his home and is set in the 60's. He doesn't age while in the station and is only in his 30's. Not the fastest paced book ever but a joy to read.

As @Doctor_Nick mentioned a few years ago The Friends of Eddie Coyle is a truly amazing book. It is the book Raylan Givens holds up at the last episode of Justified saying he's read it a million times, a little nod to it being Elmore Leonard's favorite book. Not only being set in Boston where I live but the movie, also a good take, even has a one of the bank robberies shot in my hometown. It is a snapshot of the gritty grimy Boston that does not exist anymore. George Higgins should be required reading for any author on how to write dialogue. It also has one of my favorite quotes of all time that has wrongly been attributed to John Wayne "Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid."

I would agree with a lot of the consensus about a lot of popular books mentioned.

The Expanse series is just awesome.

The Martian, such a great read. Laughed out loud on the train enough times to scare my fellow passengers I'm sure.

I hardly even count Ready Player One as a book. It is horribly written, has a dumb plot and some of the most awkward character interactions I have ever read. I still listen to the audiobook, narrated by Wil Wheaton, every year or so. For someone who grew up in the 70's and 80's it's just pure nostalgia injected into my veins. A guilty pleasure.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I scoured around goodreads to find something to read along the lines of "if you like The Expanse, you'll also like" and ended up giving the Luna trilogy by Ian McDonald a spin. 

I'm almost through the second book and while it's not The Expanse, it's pretty damn good. It's set about 80 years after the first commercial/industrial colonization of the moon which means the tech is more science than fiction.

There's a dash of cringy sex in there that isn't my favourite, but overall it delivers some strong emotional beats and interesting characters. There's even some interesting speculative psychiatry around what social constructs might develop around mental disorders in this version of the future. 

Here's the goodreads link to the series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/166174-luna

• You can also get really cheap used books at https://www.thriftbooks.com/

I think I got like 5-6 for about $15.

Most recent books I've read/reading are:
    Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind by Annaka Harris
    The Outsider by Stephen King
    Edgar Alan Poe collection 
    cdrive
  • The Institute.

New one by Stephen King out last week. Incredible. The guy's still got it!
    gguenotCecilymostlywright
  • "The Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan , is a great book if you like Hardcore History, its basically a Dan Carlin podcast in literary form, and some of the stuff is mind-blowing, its about the battle for Berlin in WWII and the craziness of the last moments of the capital.

• Just finished Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer. Really eye opening view into just how horrible Hitler was as a person and leader. I don’t want to use the word lucky because of how many people were murdered and died but the allies were extremely fortunate that he was so inept as a wartime leader. The amount of bad decisions he and his top leadership made during an already catastrophic period could have been even worse. 
    BroRad33CretanBull
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Flukes said:
    I scoured around goodreads to find something to read along the lines of "if you like The Expanse, you'll also like" and ended up giving the Luna trilogy by Ian McDonald a spin. 

I'm almost through the second book and while it's not The Expanse, it's pretty damn good. It's set about 80 years after the first commercial/industrial colonization of the moon which means the tech is more science than fiction.

There's a dash of cringy sex in there that isn't my favourite, but overall it delivers some strong emotional beats and interesting characters. There's even some interesting speculative psychiatry around what social constructs might develop around mental disorders in this version of the future. 

Here's the goodreads link to the series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/166174-luna

Thinking about anyone reading this pseudo-review and then reading the book, I want to make a clarification. It's not the type of sex or who's having sex that I find cringy. I've just never really enjoyed detailed descriptions of sex in books. There are a handful of passages that are more descriptive than I'd prefer, but the author gets at least one thumb up (ahem) for inclusiveness.
  • I hate the fact that I don't have enough time for reading now. I read only books and articles for my university and then I write my own essays. So, I do it not always. Sometimes I just order essays on https://studymoose.com/ ;
    Just finished The Testaments, Margaret Atwood's sequel to The Handmaid's Tale. It doesn't feel quite as shocking or impactful as THT, but it definitely fills in some interesting gaps that fans will have been wondering about for years.
    Flukes
  • I've recently read some introductory-level physics books and loved them both.  "Storm in a Tea Cup: The Physics of Everyday Life" by Helen Czerski is a really interesting look at everyday things through the lens of physics and "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman is a primer of the basic foundational concepts of physics.  Really interesting stuff and not intimidating to just jump into!
  • September has been a great month for releases of my favorite authors. So far I have plowed through the new Stephen King-The Institute, the newest Longmire novel by Craig Johnson-A Land Of Wolves, and I am getting ready to read Margaret Atwood's newest-The Testaments. Right now I am a bit in to a book a friend has been recommending forever: The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen.