Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

Comments

• I mean that seems like it might work for low levels but high levels where you have dragons with 500* HP it might get annoying because obviously we’d be bloodied far quicker than the enemies. 
  • I do think it’s useful as just a general description of health for NPC’s. Like it’s good to know if an ally is looking real hurt or if the Big Bad looks like that last hit bounced off him to know whether it’s time to fight or flight. 
  • No problem here. I think every online D&D series I've watched uses "bloodied".  WotC must have dropped the ball with that on 5e because everyone uses it.
  • I mean I guess we can try it out and drop it if it gets cumbersome. I think if we’re gonna do it though we should go all in and add the bloodied abilities as well, but then I’m a fan of more chaos in general. 
  • The last edition I played before 5th was 2nd, so sure, let's give it a go if other want it....
  • guys. i think we should think carefully on our next move and take agreement. 

we have 2 or 3 alive witnesses that can confirm we did nothing wrong and were helping. 

however, if we run and get seen/caught we look guilty and will have more trouble. 

i say we stay and help put the fire out but demand that the unconcious rat is interogated by us. 

also if we head down the sewer then we lose the rat and any info he may have. 

i vote we stay but ill do what the group wants. 
    CretanBull
  • Yes, running looks guilty but has an NPC guard ever believed a party's story after a bloodbath?

It's my D&D instinct to run but I will abide by the party's vote.
    CretanBull
  • I can hold the one into the sewer for later interrogation while you all deliver the other to the guards as evidence and offer up an explanation. 
  • Actually let’s just do a brief scan of the tunnels/impromptu interrogation then pretend we found him down there trying to escape. 
    Flukes
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited September 16
    You can’t threaten a cultist with death, you gotta either threaten him with an extremely painful death or convince him that his god is fake and he’s going to Hell instead of eternal salvation. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Alkaid13 said:
    You can’t threaten a cultist with death, you gotta either threaten him with an extremely painful death or convince him that his god is fake and he’s going to Hell instead of eternal salvation. 
    Good point. We're going to need to know a LOT more about this cult to wield any of that leverage.
  • Anyone have any healing cantrips or anything?  Or should I spend the spell slot?  
  • Anyone have any healing cantrips or anything?  Or should I spend the spell slot?  
    There are no healing cantrips (by design in 5e)
  • @CretanBull I can't access Roll 20 right now, do you mind activating my cure light wounds spell when you get the chance, thanks.

• @CretanBull I can't access Roll 20 right now, do you mind activating my cure light wounds spell when you get the chance, thanks.

I did and you lucked out, you're back up to full!
  • I saw an excellent homebrew rule.

You ever crit and then do hardly any damage on a crit because of bad dice? This way makes a crit feel like a crit. You take the max damage that attack can do and add a dice roll and modifier to it. So if your weapon does d12 damage you get 12 + d12 roll + modifier.  That applies to monsters hitting you too.I'm going to start using it in my weekly game.
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited September 17
    CapeGabe said:
    I saw an excellent homebrew rule.

You ever crit and then do hardly any damage on a crit because of bad dice? This way makes a crit feel like a crit. You take the max damage that attack can do and add a dice roll and modifier to it. So if your weapon does d12 damage you get 12 + d12 roll + modifier.  That applies to monsters hitting you too.I'm going to start using it in my weekly game.
    This has been a standard rule in previous editions (and generally speaking, I like it!) but the problem is that at 1st and in most cased 2nd level too a single hit can take down a PC and that puts a lot of un-fun pressure on clerics to reserve their spell slots for healing and not be able to cast any of the other fun spells that clerics get.  I wouldn't be against using it, but maybe introduce it at 3rd level?
    CapeGabeFlukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited September 18
    Oops wrong thread
    edited September 18
    cdrive said:
    Oops wrong thread
    rm /mnt/c -rf

• I wouldn't be against using it, but maybe introduce it at 3rd level?

Makes no difference to me. I'm so squishy a stiff breeze had a good chance of killing me until level 14 or so. 

Heads up: I'm traveling for work next week (leaving Sunday afternoon). I'll be less available to check on the thread during the day but hopefully more available in the evenings. I'll do my best not to hold things up.
    CretanBull
  • Icons still have no names on them except for me and Plastalyn.  Is there a setting that I might have turned off or something?
  • Icons still have no names on them except for me and Plastalyn.  Is there a setting that I might have turned off or something?
    No, it's a known roll20 glitch that is supposed to have been fixed.  The issue is that when I set it up where you can see them, it works and then when I change maps the set-up isn't carried over and I have to manually redo the set-up again.  That was supposed to be fixed with the last patch, and I think it was so this might be something new.  Normally, when the labels aren't appearing, I can look at the tokens and see that the name plates etc are turned off.  When I look at them now, it looks like they should be on & visible to you.  I sent roll20 a ticket yesterday but they haven't addressed it yet.  When we change maps again, I'll see if it's still a problem.

• @CapeGabe
    Your Owl is still dead right?
  • Yes. Not dead but unconjured. It dosen't die, just goes back to Fey realm. Takes an hour to cast ritual.
  • Mmmmmm, don’t feel good about walking through a weird portal with no info. 
    CapeGabe
    If I know anything about portals there will just be some pizzas sitting on phones talking into people ordering chairs.
    Alkaid13HatorianCretanBull
  • Think that amulet will do some good for our squishier arcane types. 
  • edited November 1
    Alkaid13 said:
    Think that amulet will do some good for our squishier arcane types. 

I do appreciate the thought but the focus of those spells would be the tanks. Better they have it.

• Oh this talk about not fighting things you’re unprepared for has reminded me of the time my Monday night crew and I beat a dragon we were most definitely not supposed to fight. 

Some background for this, if you’re at all familiar with Lost Mines of Phandelver you’ll know that there is a particular village with a particular young green dragon in it. You’re not really supposed to fight that dragon and definitely not at level 3 and yet somehow we got it into our heads that this would be a fine idea our party to take on. To be fair, I attempted to subvert this particular encounter by appealing to the dragon’s greed and lust for power to get him to go an kill a bunch of goblins nearby who had taken over a castle but apparently he decided to eat us first and then take over said castle. Luckily our one bit of tactical planning had us too spread out for big greenie to instantly kill us with his breath weapon so he spent round one killing one of the NPC’s with us and missing me. This proved to be his undoing because it was also the last round of combat he ever got. My next four turns were spent casting Command “Grovel” which, amazingly, worked every single time thereby causing him to waste his turns falling prone and turning from a instant kill machine into a big meat sack of hit points which the remaining party members quickly worked through. 
    CretanBull