What grinds my gears (today)

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    This may be a California-specific grind, but when are weed smokers gonna realize they smell just as offensive as cigarette smokers? I’m amazed how much a person can reek at 6am. And no smoking means no smoking anything! The few times I’ve brought this up the answer I always get is “at least it’s not disgusting cigarettes.” I’m sorry but stinky is stinky. 
    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 19
    This may be a California-specific grind, but when are weed smokers gonna realize they smell just as offensive as cigarette smokers? I’m amazed how much a person can reek at 6am. And no smoking means no smoking anything! The few times I’ve brought this up the answer I always get is “at least it’s not disgusting cigarettes.” I’m sorry but stinky is stinky. 
    Try living in Humboldt County.  We get people (mostly men) coming down off of the hill from their grow sites that smell like they just trimmed and packaged a literal ton of it.  It's so bad, when you're standing near them you have to hold your breath or put your nose in your shirt collar or something.  And if they walk past you or you walk to an area where they just were standing or walked through, you can still smell it just as strongly as if they were still there.  It's *awful*.  I mean, to each their own, but have some sense of recognition of how repulsive you smell, dude!!!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 20
    Worst part about pot is potheads and pot dealers.

Oh, and the several generations of systematic criminal targeting of minorites and poor people.

Noel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Freddy said:
    Worst part about pot is potheads and pot dealers.

Oh, and the several generations of systematic criminal targeting of minorites and poor people.

God I wish I had some pot right about now. 
  • cdrive said:

God I wish I had some pot right about now. 
    Better be edibles, sounds like you couldn't torch up. Stay dry.
    cdrive
  • I work with this woman who posts terrible Memes during the evening and then comes to the office in the morning and asks people why they didn't like the Meme she posted, its "So funny" this is a weekly thing.
    ChinaskiMichelleDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    BroRad33 said:
    I work with this woman who posts terrible Memes during the evening and then comes to the office in the morning and asks people why they didn't like the Meme she posted, its "So funny" this is a weekly thing.
    haha that sounds very Michael Scott :D
    MichelleNoelBroRad33
  • Filters....

the worst invention ever created. Allowing people to completely fake what they really look like. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Hatorian said:
    Filters....

the worst invention ever created. Allowing people to completely fake what they really look like. 
    For real. It's like "look here lady, I swiped right for dog ears, so I expect dog ears."
    HatorianCapeGabeChinaskiNoelFlukesasmallcatDummy
  • Freddy said:
    Hatorian said:
    Filters....

For real. It's like "look here lady, I swiped right for dog ears, so I expect dog ears."
    Yea! Exactly. Cuz that’s what I meant...
    Freddy
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Crossword puzzle writers' love for the word 'TSAR' because it starts with two consonants and can be spelled so many ways.

It isn't a clue if knowing the answer doesn't let me fill the goddamn boxes in.
  • Hatorian said:
    Filters....

I mean, makeup has existed forever too. Filters are just a faster way of doing it. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 25
    Edit: delete. Cuz I’m drunk and saying stupid shit. 
    awookieecdriveFreddy
    This is Cali-specific:  the planned PG&E shutdowns that are scheduled for midnight tonight could last up to 5 days.  I get that they're doing it for a very good reason, but everyone is scrambling right now - at the gas station, the grocery store, the hardware store, and in their homes & businesses to prepare.  Water is sold out at my local grocery store.  Lines at the gas stations are lonnnnng.  Gah.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    Michelle said:
    This is Cali-specific:  the planned PG&E shutdowns that are scheduled for midnight tonight could last up to 5 days.  I get that they're doing it for a very good reason, but everyone is scrambling right now - at the gas station, the grocery store, the hardware store, and in their homes & businesses to prepare.  Water is sold out at my local grocery store.  Lines at the gas stations are lonnnnng.  Gah.
    Was just coming here to see if any of my fellow NorCal folks were posting about this.

Luckily, most of my town and my house specifically are not supposed to be affected.  However, looks like my work will be out of power.  I'm currently scrambling to get a bunch of stuff together to work from home.

Hope it goes ok for everyone out there!  As you said Michelle, it's a bummer, but I guess at least they are trying something to prevent any more tragic fires?  Let's see how this goes...
    Michelle
    I gassed up this morning before the lines got too long.  Check this out.  This is at my local Costco gas station.

https://www.facebook.com/nazyjavid/videos/2980903808593569/
    Michelle said:
    haha yeah people scrambling like it's the zombie apocalypse around my neck of the woods too. me being oblivious went to the grocery store. parked, walked in, saw that it was like the day before Thanksgiving, chuckled, and walked out. my taqueria was open and dead so hello priorities!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    haha yeah people scrambling like it's the zombie apocalypse around my neck of the woods too. me being oblivious went to the grocery store. parked, walked in, saw that it was like the day before Thanksgiving, chuckled, and walked out. my taqueria was open and dead so hello priorities!
    lol, so true.  But still, I hope you have enough water & nonperishables.  Do you have to go in tomorrow?  I'm hoping for a day off!
    Feeling super underappreciated at work today.  Not feeling very well though (congested and a scratchy throat - @Chinaski, I think you jinxed me! :tongue: ), so that might play into it, but still.  I've been here 9+ years and still have these moments where I feel like I'm seen as 'just an employee', not someone who plays a valuable part in the company.  Sigh.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited October 16
    Michelle said:
    Feeling super underappreciated at work today.  Not feeling very well though (congested and a scratchy throat - @Chinaski, I think you jinxed me! :tongue: ), so that might play into it, but still.  I've been here 9+ years and still have these moments where I feel like I'm seen as 'just an employee', not someone who plays a valuable part in the company.  Sigh.

Me too. I mean, I've only been here 2 years, but still. Nothing like misdirecting a huge email thread because you misunderstood something. I got off my antidepressants a few weeks ago and my brain is slow, so that's my somewhat equivalent illness....  3 hours until I can go home. :)
    Michelle
  • edited October 31
    Does everything in the world need LEDs now? There are like 6 items in my bedroom I have to put electrical tape over the LEDs or I would never sleep because it looks like Times Square.

The worst is buying a new PC. What color LEDs do you want? This has LEDs on the fan, case, video card and memory sticks! Huh? How about none? I'm not 2 and swirly colors don't entertain me much anymore. I can't read the screen from the glare from the case!

(That was sarcasm so no need for suggestions on seeing the screen  :D )

Chinaski
    CapeGabe said:
    Does everything in the world need LEDs now? There are like 6 items in my bedroom I have to put electrical tape over the LEDs or I would never sleep because it looks like Times Square.

The worst is buying a new PC. What color LEDs do you want? This has LEDs on the fan, case, video card and memory sticks! Huh? How about none? I'm not 2 and swirly colors don't entertain me much anymore. I can't read the screen from the glare from the case!

(That was sarcasm so no need for suggestions on seeing the screen  :D )

i would have leased a knee cap for some LED last Sat- Mon :|
    CapeGabe
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Requiem I get them from weird places like Mauritius and Belarus, usually at about 3 in the morning. And I block them but they use different numbers all the time. Bastards. 
  • these damn guys are getting smarter and local(local dialect to the country). i had a local phone call and the guy said this was citibank and they have some questions about a recent check i wrote. but first they needed to verify my information. for a second i was going to answer their question because 1. i have bad handwriting so it could legitimately be a problem 2. i have a citibank account and just didnt think twice. 

but i caught myself right away when he asked for my DOB and Maiden Name and i was like wait. how do i know your citi? i think you need to verify yourself first. the guy stumbled for a second, i could hear him asking someone, most likely a manager/boss type. 

he told me ok then call the citibank hotline and they will re-direct you to me. i said ok. Called citibank, they had no records of anything wrong with my checks and had nothing in system about a call to me. close call. 

the only thing i was confused by was how did he know i had citibank when there are like 5 major banks and Citi is pretty small...
    Non.stop.robo.calls.to,my.cell.today.  :angry:
  • Michelle said:
    Non.stop.robo.calls.to,my.cell.today.  :angry:
    That's why I love my google pixel phone.  I have an option to "screen call" when someone calls.  That makes the person calling talk to a recording that says "Hi, the person you're calling is using a screening service from Google, and will get a copy of this conversation.  Go ahead and say your name, and why you're calling."  99% of the time they hang up within 15 seconds.  It's also fun to fuck with your family and friends and make them talk to your own personal Google robot.
    Michelle
    @awookiee that’s a really cool feature.  I’m surprised that Apple hasn’t come up with something like that yet, at least nothing that I’m aware of.  I of course do get to see the number of who’s calling and can decline the call, but constant declining & blocking gets so tiring.  And I’m on the Do Not Call list, too...and they still call.
  • I essentially never answer my phone if it's not a contact. If it's something important, they'll leave a message. Nothing a stranger is calling be about is so important it can't wait 5 minutes. 
    rhcoopCapeGabe
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    One thing that drives me crazy are redundant meetings at work. People either don't pay attention to info that has been previously provided or want to have a meeting to plan a meeting to really get organized for a meeting next week.

I would say that 75% of the meetings I go to are useless or just a repeat of what I've said or heard before.  

I'm to the point now that I push back on any meeting request I get from these Time Vampires. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @rhcoop I work for the public service (federal government). My whole life is redundant meetings. I have two today. :-(

rhcoop