American Horror Story Season 9 - '1984'

2»

Comments

• jmmcat22 said:
    Michelle said:
    Following it! Thanks!
    yw!  I'll update it weekly after each episode :smile:
  • Have they announced what the schedule is for the podcast?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2019
    Have they announced what the schedule is for the podcast?
    Friday release.  Waiting patiently for today's. :smile:

Edit: @Cecily or @A_Ron_Hubbard, this is coming out today, yes?  
  • First prediction: Jingles dies in episode 2 and the season immediately veers into supernatural/occult.
    cdrive
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Michelle said:

Sorry, the next few Fridays might be on the later side because our Thursdays are disrupted. After that we should have them out before Lunch.
    Michelle
  • Michelle said:

Sorry, the next few Fridays might be on the later side because our Thursdays are disrupted. After that we should have them out before Lunch.
    All good here, just stoked you’re back for another season!
  • Guys, I'm watching Sleepaway Camp right now to see where some of this season's influence might have come from and it's terrible.  Every single thing about this movie is so bad.  Is it possible to give a movie 0 stars?

If anyone's curious, it''s on Amazon Prime.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Michelle said:
    Guys, I'm watching Sleepaway Camp right now to see where some of this season's influence might have come from and it's terrible.  Every single thing about this movie is so bad.  Is it possible to give a movie 0 stars?

If anyone's curious, it''s on Amazon Prime.
    When you say you're watching it, does that mean you stopped to come in here to comment? Sleepaway Camp is pretty much all about the ending.
  • Hunkulese said:
    When you say you're watching it, does that mean you stopped to come in here to comment? Sleepaway Camp is pretty much all about the ending.
    Nope, it was still playing while I was commenting.  And the ending was just as bad as the rest of the movie.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Nope, it was still playing while I was commenting.  And the ending was just as bad as the rest of the movie.
    Not saying the ending was good, but it's pretty much the only reason people talk about the movie.
    Michelle
  • Hunkulese said:
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Not saying the ending was good, but it's pretty much the only reason people talk about the movie.
    Kinda like the Wicker Man
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Glad this was brought up- 

Aqua sex is a lie. In a pool. In a hot tub or jacuzzi bathtub. Lake sex sounds like a guaranteed UTI. Ocean sex sounds like a guaranteed UTI. Please stop having aqua sex, TV characters. No one is gonna go hold their breath either. Come on! 
  • I'm not getting too invested in this Camp Redwood thing. It seems we are rapidly running through some 80s slasher film clichés, and if last season was any indication, there will be at least a couple huge pivots. 
  • In the podcast Cecily mentions that in Meyers in Halloween is the brother of the main character, is this like a known thing? I've only seen the original and the recent remake and I never caught anything about that. Doesn't he stab his sister in the beginning which is what gets him arrested in the first place?
  • In the podcast Cecily mentions that in Meyers in Halloween is the brother of the main character, is this like a known thing? I've only seen the original and the recent remake and I never caught anything about that. Doesn't he stab his sister in the beginning which is what gets him arrested in the first place?
    It was established in I believe the second Halloween movie that Laurie Strode was actually Michael Myers sister (her name was changed from Cynthia Myers after the murder of her sister).

However, in the latest Halloween movie from last year, they retconned that reveal and basically took it back because apparently John Carpenter always regretted it.  He said that it's a scarier story if they're not related because the violence against Laurie seems more random that way.
    bizmarkiefader
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Thanks for the corrections, guys - my memory was a little fuzzy on how exactly that shook out.  However, we are taking on all theories so no wrong answers!
    Brieanne
  • @Cecily asked in the Pod why they made Cody Fern's character straight. I'd say it's because there were really no gay characters in 80s slasher films. In fact gay characters didn't start showing up in mainstream films until about a decade later. There's also the fact that 80s slasher films were all about the horny teens hooking up. They pretty much have to be straight since they didn't do gay hookups back then. (The implied bisexuality of Montana is therefore an anachronism). 

That said, I'm having a hard time buying Cody Fern as a straight guy. 
    Cecily
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 2019
    @Cecily asked in the Pod why they made Cody Fern's character straight. I'd say it's because there were really no gay characters in 80s slasher films. In fact gay characters didn't start showing up in mainstream films until about a decade later. There's also the fact that 80s slasher films were all about the horny teens hooking up. They pretty much have to be straight since they didn't do gay hookups back then. (The implied bisexuality of Montana is therefore an anachronism). 

That said, I'm having a hard time buying Cody Fern as a straight guy. 

It's pretty funny that they have a gay guy doing straight for pay acting as a straight guy that does gay for pay.  

That wily Ryan Murphy!
    CecilyTBINKANSAS
  • Jamie91Jamie91 Pennsylvania
    I am so glad you guys are back! This season is mostly hilarious and not scary, but I'm here nevertheless.  However,  does anyone think Ray's cutthroat nature seemed forced? He was obviously a cokehead, but I feel his inability to care about anyone else but himself was forced and kind of lazy. And, did the first guy killed in the "group of five" have to be the black guy? I expected more from this show. Murphy and co. love to honor tropes and subvert them simultaneously, but I am curious as to where the subversion will take place this season. In all honesty, this season feels very un-American Horror Story besides the use of flashbacks. What is the idea behind this year? A  10-episode straight, linear slasher arc is disappointing. Unpopular opinion: even "pulp" shows  need to have some overarching question or thematic hold to them; I am not entirely sure what this season's  agenda is right now. .However, I do think the cast is doing a phenomenal job--even the fresh faces.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 2019
    @A_Ron_Hubbard, here's your credit sequences, mashed up. 

Cecily