Got Stick? 2019/20 NHL Talk

Starts for realz Wednesday.  Discuss.

Let's Go Pens!

Comments

• edited October 2
    LET'S GO CANES!

Last year's miracle Canes have me feeling less optimistic going into 2019-20.  No Williams, we swapped Faulk for Gardiner, and both Chicago returns for de Haan were just placed on waivers.  Sophomore Svech and (hopefully) a revitalized Haula and Dzingel look like solid additions, but is it enough?

What propelled last year was the leadership/culture change and goaltending.  Mrazek/Reimer and Jordo as the new captain appears like a big step in the wrong direction.  I'm ride or die, but I'm not feeling last year's magic.  Long live the king.

• Go Sharks.  I hate Vegas.

That’s all I got.
  • I'm a Minnesota Wild fan and really don't have that much optimism for this season.  We didn't make any big changes other than pick up Mats Zuccarello who I'm looking forward to watching play but I he's not the game changer we need.  The problem is we can't pay the game changer that we need until Parise and Suter are gone with the money being eaten up in their contracts.

Sorry @DoubleA_Ron my sister lives in Vegas so I'm naturally a Vegas Knight fan for all games except when they play the Wild.  
  • awookiee said:
    Sorry @DoubleA_Ron my sister lives in Vegas so I'm naturally a Vegas Knight fan for all games except when they play the Wild.  
    That’s OK... nobody’s perfect.   :p
    awookiee
  • edited October 1
    awookiee said:
    On a side note I've always rooted for San Jose because Brent Burns was and likely will always be my favorite Wild player.  I was pissed when we traded him.  Look what we got for that.... Devin Setoguchi who sucked and was past his prime and Charlie Coyle who played good but not great for us but we ended up trading him last year to Boston for Donato (a nobody) and a 5th round draft pick.  The Burns trade was the worst decision ever.  
  • awookiee said:
    On a side note I've always rooted for San Jose because Brent Burns was and likely will always be my favorite Wild player.  I was pissed when we traded him.  Look what we got for that.... Devin Setoguchi who sucked and was past his prime and Charlie Coyle who played good but not great for us but we ended up trading him last year to Boston for Donato (a nobody) and a 5th round draft pick.  The Burns trade was the worst decision ever.  
    Dude, no doubt.  DW has made a habit of absolutely fleecing other GMs throughout the years.  That one was up there with the Thornton and Karlsson trades as being positively baffling (in a good way, for SJ at least).

I'm not a big fan of Burns defensively, but on the offensive side of the puck and, more importantly, the being-a-good-human side, he's one of my all-time favorites.  The positive influence he brings to the team and the community is undeniably awesome.
  • edited October 1
    awookiee said:
    Dude, no doubt.  DW has made a habit of absolutely fleecing other GMs throughout the years.  That one was up there with the Thornton and Karlsson trades as being positively baffling (in a good way, for SJ at least).

I'm not a big fan of Burns defensively, but on the offensive side of the puck and, more importantly, the being-a-good-human side, he's one of my all-time favorites.  The positive influence he brings to the team and the community is undeniably awesome.
    He is definitely in the category of offensive defensemen.  He lead all defensemen in points last year with 83.  To put that into perspective with the Wild, our top scoring player only had 61 points last year and we only had 2 players that had more than 50 points.  San Jose had 8 players with more than 50 points and had Karlsson not been injured for a good chunk of the season he'd be right there with Burns in points.  He had 45 points in 53 games. 

Meanwhile the Wild are signing huge lengthy contracts to our mediocre defensemen.  We just signed Spurgeon to a 7 year deal and he's making half a million less than Burns per year and he put up 43 points and played all 82 games last season.  The Wild GM office is frustrating and we can't seem to keep the same GM for more than a couple years.  It's quite frustrating being a Wild fan.  And then there's the Vikings hahahhahaha, don't get me started down that hole.
  • Flyers are going to be soooooo bad this season.
  • awookiee said:
    awookiee said:
    Not that it's a good (round-about) return for Burns, but keep an eye on Donato...he's a very good player and IMO a prime candidate to have a break-out season.
    awookiee
  • Was just going to say hat., Donato could score A LOT of goals if he gets big minutes and PP time.

I'm a leafs fan through and through, we have the up front talent, and tons of depth... healthy goaltender and some consistent play and we'll go far this year, hoping to place above the bruins through the season, so if we have to play them again at least we have home ice!

Go leafs go!

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    My Bruins got a nice win on the road to open the season in Dallas. I'm impressed with the speed of the team this year. Tuukka is still in locked in mode from the playoffs last year. I'm still concerned about the drop off that seems to happen in the 2nd Period. This was a problem that plagued them all last year. Hopefully they can get it corrected. Still happy to get a win and excited that hockey is back on the menu!
  • Good win for the B's.

You forget how fast hockey is during offseason. Favorite time of year, weather cooling, mosquitoes about to die, football started and I get to do one of the most painful and enjoyable things I do for entertainment.

I switch between hockey and baseball and laugh at how much more painful hockey can make baseball. 
  • CapeGabe said:
    I switch between hockey and baseball and laugh at how much more painful hockey can make baseball. 
    I had a funny hockey vs baseball moment a few years ago.  I was flipping back and forth between the Blue Jays and the Canadiens games.  In the baseball game, the Jay's pitcher had to leave the game because he had a blister.  At the exact same time, Carey Price (Montreal's goalie) got a bunch of teeth knocked out, their trainer was out on the ice picking them up for him while he was over by the bench getting looked at.  Price had a loose tooth, so he just yanked it out and then went back to the crease and was playing a minute later.  Switch back to baseball, the announcers were speculating how many games the pitcher was going to miss because of his blister.
    CapeGabe
  • It is a long season, and it is early, but, I like my Pens.  Especially if Murray can overcome glove side problems, and injuries don't kill us.  Nice win last night against a really good Avalanche team.
  • edited October 30
    Svech has been talking about scoring a lacrosse goal since his rookie season.  What a badass.

The Canes being ranked #6 in the league going into November certainly sounds like the magic has returned.  The most exciting team in hockey and voted to have the best fan base.  It's a proven fact, y'all.