El Camino (Spoilers)

Trying to be as unspoilery as possible.

Guesses - How much more than $1800 was obtained at the welders?

General thoughts?

Comments

• “Give me a hoover.......uhh......350,.....with aaaaaa filter, ya know bitch” Thats not what he said but easily the funniest scene. 
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited October 2019
    The world building is incredible. Everything about Skinny Pete’s house is perfect. The TV stand is one of those old gigantic console TVs from the 70s. I love it.
    blue_sleevegjames80ken hale
  • I thought it was interesting that some of the trailer footage didn't make it into the movie, but, informed the viewer.

Glad it did not seem like a 2 hour TV episode.
    blue_sleeve
  • It was basically an epilogue to season 5. Good closure. Not very intense. Surprised how little the dea actually played but feels like we finally got a definitive ending. 
    blue_sleeve
  • tom_g said:
    I thought it was interesting that some of the trailer footage didn't make it into the movie, but, informed the viewer.

tom_g said:
    I thought it was interesting that some of the trailer footage didn't make it into the movie, but, informed the viewer.

Yea. The Skinny Pete interrogation scene really didn’t need to be in the movie. Felt like the trailer was sufficient to fill that gap after Jesse left the house. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    It was pretty boring. Only thing I really liked was that one of the antagonists from Righteous Gemstones showed up as basically the same character. Except this time he was the "party boy".
    gjames80ken hale
  • Fat Damon was pretty great in this movie. 
    JoshuaHeterkojiattwoodgjames80
  • That was SO. GOOD. !!!
    JoshuaHeter
  • It was soooo good . Only part I didn't like was Walter whites bald head . He looked like a part of coneheads 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I started the journey seriously disliking Jesse. I ended the journey horrified by his situation, screaming for him to get away, and wanting to give him a big hug. Now after watching El Camino I’m blah. I was bored and wish I could Un-watch. I’d want that “holy shit BB is the best ever!” feeling I had a day ago. 
    Cecily
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    It seemed like a fan fiction video. I don’t think we needed more Breaking Bad this didn’t add anything for me. I kinda figured years ago that his story ended up somewhat they way they ended it. I don’t usually grade movies but I think it was a solid C. Probably the best grade Jessie ever got in school.
    gjames80CaptainTripsDee
  • Um, to all you *haters*...

Jk.

I definitely think this dragged a bit in places, I don’t think it dragged enough to be made into a one hour B.B. episode or anything, but I do think they could’ve easily gotten the 2 hour runtime down to 100 minutes or so.

It’s as if somewhere along the line, they just decided “Look, the ‘taking our time’ / montage thing is what we *do*. It’s our style.” So, they almost purposefully look to do that (i.e. in B.C.S. & B.B.) even when it’s a detriment to the storytelling.

That said, I still really enjoyed it, it felt like B.B., and *to me* it was good enough to feel “worthy” of being added to the story.
  • edited October 2019
    I put this on par with Deadwood. Didn’t need it but not mad that I got it, and it was cool to see these characters again for a couple hours. There were some pretty neat little neo-western elements to the story that made it fun. The outlaw gets the law to go one way while he goes the other, in search of that last little bit of money to get out of Dodge for good. We even got a duel, complete with the protagonist finding a clever way out of an overmatched situation. I had forgotten all about Chekhov’s 2nd gun.

When do we get the prequel series about Ed? Where did all these damn connections come from that he is able to run a one-man disappearing service? 
    justinmyownhead
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I really really dug it. Meth Damon was absolutely fantastic but there were a couple moments in his stuff that felt like it dragged a tad. But that's kinda Vince Gilligan's style, so it was expected. As everyone has said, not the most necessary thing in the world but it was nice to see Jesse once last time and live in this world just a little more. Which I know is a funny thing to say since we have Better Call Saul but still.
    JoshuaHetergjames80
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2019
    Was worth it for Jesse Plemmons and Robert Forster alone. Aaron Paul was great but those two were fantastic. It's clear that the Villigang would have liked to have more time with Todd during the show.
    Wow, just read that Robert Forster just passed away.
    JoshuaHeterCecilyMrXblue_sleeve
  • This was like an ok regular 40 minute episode of BB stretched over 2 hours. My main takeaway was that Robert Forster looks better than Jesse Plemons these days, and then I found out he died and am sad.

It would feel TV movie level if it weren't for the charisma of the actors/characters they had developed in Breaking Bad. 
    gjames80ken hale
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 2019
    Wow, just read that Robert Forster just passed away.

Well shit, that really sucks. Brain cancer, ugh.
  • tom_g said:
    Trying to be as unspoilery as possible.

Guesses - How much more than $1800 was obtained at the welders?

General thoughts?
    Assuming they split it evenly and he got both shares: ((125,000 X 2) - 1800) X 2) - 1800 - Hookers and Blow
    gguenot
  • At least we get one bitch...
  • I overall thought the movie was pretty 'meh', but that scene with Todd made it worth the watch. I laughed for a solid minute when Todd asked "Would you like to say a few words?" to Jesse. It was a pretty long scene considering the whole purpose of showing it was to tell the audience that Todd had money hidden somewhere, but I still wouldn't have cut much from it because it was all pretty entertaining. 
    gjames80
    edited October 2019
    Just saw this on Reddit and thought it was cool so I'll share it here. Skinny Pete and Badger have fat stacks of cash because they were just with Walt like, two nights ago, pretending to be the hitmen for Gretchen and Elliott. It's been so long I didn't even think of why they had so much money on them.
    JoshuaHeterblue_sleevehisdudeness915ken hale
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I’m seeing “Fat Damon,” “Meth Damon,” and “Jesse Plemmons” when clearly, we should all be calling him “Messy Plemmons.” 

*Minor Spoiler*

I do wonder what Jesse could’ve possible said to Brock that wouldn’t have made his life worse....
    JoshuaHeterMurderbeargjames80
  • I don’t remember the “kandy” welding guy?  Who was he?
  • I sent this to Jim & Aron, but it might be too long for feedback, anyway. I think it's an interesting question.

Is Jesse actually better off having partnered with Walt and lived through the events of BB? Here's my best (quick) attempt in answering in the affirmative.

1. Jesse now has a fresh start in Alaska. He's seen the worst that the drug game has to offer and he's almost certainly learned that he wants no part of it anymore. He's got somewhere around $200,000, which could buy him a pretty decent woodworking shop and at least a modestly long runway to get a business (of some sort) off the ground. Beyond that, he's almost certainly got more self-confidence and perspective about himself specifically because he's overcome so many trials and tribulations.

2. There's of course no way to know for sure, but what's the most likely scenario for how Jesse's adult life would have turned out sans his partnership with Walt? There's a fair chance he'd be just a slightly more successful knucklehead like Skinny Pete or Badger, but there;s just as good of a chance that would come back to bite him (e.g. with a beating by a real player in the drug game, or a long trip to prison). In the pilot, he narrowly escaped an arrest by the D.E.A. and he was driving around in a hoopty with a license plate that read "Cap'n Cook" for crying out loud.

The case against this of course is all the psychic trauma that he's suffered (which admittedly is a lot). Despite the peaceful look on his face at the end of El Camino, he almost certainly has plenty of PTSD that he'll need to work through. That said, I'd still say that it's an open question as to whether or not Jesse is better off having gone through what he has during B.B

TBINKANSASmft9186
  • pireb said:
    I don’t remember the “kandy” welding guy?  Who was he?

New character for the movie.
  • I sent this to Jim & Aron, but it might be too long for feedback, anyway. I think it's an interesting question.

Is Jesse actually better off having partnered with Walt and lived through the events of BB? Here's my best (quick) attempt in answering in the affirmative.

1. Jesse now has a fresh start in Alaska. He's seen the worst that the drug game has to offer and he's almost certainly learned that he wants no part of it anymore. He's got somewhere around $200,000, which could buy him a pretty decent woodworking shop and at least a modestly long runway to get a business (of some sort) off the ground. Beyond that, he's almost certainly got more self-confidence and perspective about himself specifically because he's overcome so many trials and tribulations.

2. There's of course no way to know for sure, but what's the most likely scenario for how Jesse's adult life would have turned out sans his partnership with Walt? There's a fair chance he'd be just a slightly more successful knucklehead like Skinny Pete or Badger, but there;s just as good of a chance that would come back to bite him (e.g. with a beating by a real player in the drug game, or a long trip to prison). In the pilot, he narrowly escaped an arrest by the D.E.A. and he was driving around in a hoopty with a license plate that read "Cap'n Cook" for crying out loud.

The case against this of course is all the psychic trauma that he's suffered (which admittedly is a lot). Despite the peaceful look on his face at the end of El Camino, he almost certainly has plenty of PTSD that he'll need to work through. That said, I'd still say that it's an open question as to whether or not Jesse is better off having gone through what he has during B.B

Two dead girlfriends, severe mental and physical torture, murdering several people ... Put me in the "not better off" camp.
    JoshuaHeterShellyfunkydude
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I sent this to Jim & Aron, but it might be too long for feedback, anyway. I think it's an interesting question.

I’m in the definitive no camp as well. You gain perspective and self confidence as you age, so he might’ve come by some degree of maturity naturally. 

He has a conscience. Without Walt, he might’ve messed up his own life. With Walt, he, as the news reporters and Mike mention, ruined possibly thousands of lives. And he can never make that right. With them or with himself. 
  • I really enjoyed this. I don't get people saying it dragged or was boring. I thought it was two really entertaining hours with characters I've missed.

As always Gilligan's attention to detail is remarkable. It added a nice ending for Jessie's story that was missing from the original. Anything Gilligan makes I'll watch, he's earned my trust. 
  • edited October 2019
    I liked it, but I'm not sure that I buy Jesse getting a happily ever after. I've always felt that even though he managed to get away at the end of Breaking Bad he was in for a sad life given all the horrors he'd been through. So yes, I liked it, but it did feel like fan service.

Also, even though the flashbacks were a great way to include some of the old characters, Jesse Plemons is noticeably older looking than he was just six years ago.