402- Payment Required

edited October 14 in Mr. Robot
It was a cool watching Darlene and Elliot/Robot reconcile their feelings over Angela. The Mother’s Day tape was a nice reminder that they were just kids at one point. 

Zhang losing his shit over Philip was a little confusing. Other than his life, does Philip have anything  to lose? Is that why Zhang can’t bend Philip into submission? 

Comments

• Elliot/Mr Robot/ and...............what the hell Esmail????????? Could it be us? Vera was looking right into the camera as if he was 4th wall breaking. 
  • Im a little fearful we’re going down a S2 mystery shitshow wrapped in an enigma but I gotta believe Esmail learned from those mistakes. That conference room is right out of the S1 pilot and hasn’t been shown since. Time Travel theories anyone? Plus there 4 seats at that table, are those for the divergent personalities of Elliott. Good God Esmail, WTF!!!!!!
    Elisa
  • The ending of this episode had me like  :o :o :o

I'm looking at the 4 chairs around the table at the end as meaning there are 4 personalities, so that would be Elliot, Mr. Robot, and ... ?
    Tyrell has been seen as sitting in that exact chair in that exact room, so I'm guessing #3 would be Tyrell.  Is the little boy #4? Someone else? Is Elliot actually someone ELSE'S alternate??!

TL;DR - I have so many questions,  and I want it to be next week NOW!
  • Elliot is also Zhang and WhiteRose!!  :o
  • Just came across an interview where Esmail said he doesn’t intend this to be a gotcha twist, that if the writers did their job, it will be an earned reveal, and the audience will look back on the show and say “ Oh shit of course”. Im already preparing myself for a lukewarm/meh reveal. Hopefully this controls the impending disappointment. Im wondering how long he holds onto this reveal, because I can’t believe this “other one” wont be dropped till close to the end of the season if not maybe in the post credits of the series finale.
  • edited October 15
    I didn't like the episode very much, it felt pretentious and forced. No payoff from Elliots fake death and I rolled my eyes at the possibility of another split persona twist. I hope they learned from season 2 and why it wasn't good storytelling, I really don't care anymore to guess what's real or not, been there, done that. 

Garrison66
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    That episode was really good, I read though a bunch of theories about the third personality and most of them hinge on that dream sequence in season 1 which is really interesting. I almost forgot about that scene but the line where Angela says Elliot was only born a month ago could mean the Elliot we know is actually a new personality, so he and Mr Robot are like a yin and yang thing that were born at the same time which could be cool.
    adobo1148 said:
    Zhang losing his shit over Philip was a little confusing. Other than his life, does Philip have anything  to lose? Is that why Zhang can’t bend Philip into submission? 

Ultimately she still needs people to play their roles and Phillip is way less interchangeable or replaceable than most of the pawns we see, especially being part of that group and everything. I think you're right in that if Angela was still around this wouldn't work and he wouldn't be motivated to do it anyway. He can probably only make a move like this once, he's using all of his leverage to set up this one meeting and understands he's pretty much dead as soon as this is settled no matter which way it goes.
    Elisa
  • That episode was really good, I read though a bunch of theories about the third personality and most of them hinge on that dream sequence in season 1 which is really interesting. I almost forgot about that scene but the line where Angela says Elliot was only born a month ago could mean the Elliot we know is actually a new personality, so he and Mr Robot are like a yin and yang thing that were born at the same time which could be cool.
    Elliot was going through morphine withdrawal in that episode. The withdrawal for sure opened a window into Elliot, one at the time didn’t feel relevant. Esmail has stated the importance of that episode to the series as a  whole, so It probably deserves a rewatch or two. 

So are we to believe the “other one” is Somehow related to his morphine habit?
  • Anyone else catch that Dan Carlin was playing in the taxidermy shop? Voice jumped right out at me, but I am going through Hardcore History the past few weeks.
  • edited October 16
    Elliott shows up at the table in a Darlene Angela outfit and says, "Why do you think I came all this way?"

And scene.
    DoubleA_Ron
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    No photo description availableTeehehe
    GredalBee
    What does that say?
  • adobo1148 said:
    Elliot/Mr Robot/ and...............what the hell Esmail????????? Could it be us? Vera was looking right into the camera as if he was 4th wall breaking. 
    I don't know, but she will most likely be female (Krista?  - A not insignificant name) .I really hope it's not Vera.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    What does that say?
    Wolfram & Hart - The name of an evil corporation, and series long antagonist in another show.
    GredalBeebizmarkiefaderShum
  • edited October 17
    If E = A, then Elliot fucked Duck Phillips.  Too dark, Esmail.  WAY too dark.
  • Poor Angela. She tried.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited October 17
    Zhang's line, "You know that in order for me to replace you as CEO, the Deus group members must all agree on your successor... in person," may be the most poorly written and delivered line of the entire show.

I also didn't really like the Dom stuff. Killing Agent Horton seemed entirely unnecessary and is just going to push Dom closer to fighter back against the Dark Army. You'd think the Dark Army would be better at reading people than that. 
    Schlupp
  • I for once didn't tell white rose anything. I think. Damm pillow Talk.
  • Did the writers just retcon this Phillip Price / Whiterose / Zhang stuff and figure that no one notices it?  For 2 and a half seasons, Price had been real belligerent to Whiterose for someone who's such a feeble pawn that he doesn't have a connect to the real money (Susan Jacobs) without Whiterose's say so.  It seems the writers vastly changed the power relationship over the last few episodes of last season and this season.
  • edited October 17
    With all the pomp over who “the other one” is I hope this doesn’t distract us from wtf Zhang/Whiterose’s master plan with a particle accelerator and the Congo.  Maybe it’ll be a double reveal. Well like the guys said, if Esamil can stick this landing, its beyond brilliant. I’m staking out a middle ground and letting the arrows just fly over me.
  • So if the third alter was baked into the beginning, then that could explain why Elliot doesn't recognize Darlene when he first meets her in S01E01. I like the idea that Elliot isn't the prime personality.  Someone else is the host, probably not even named Elliot.  
  • So if the third alter was baked into the beginning, then that could explain why Elliot doesn't recognize Darlene when he first meets her in S01E01. I like the idea that Elliot isn't the prime personality.  Someone else is the host, probably not even named Elliot.  
    As part of his work with the Washington Township project Elliot’s dad might have allowed Whiterose to subject his son to an experiment which enabled him to assume multiple personalities. It would track with Whiterose/Zhang’s stating the necessity of father and son to her endgame. 
    Elisa
  • JeffreyJeffrey Des Moines
    1. The Philip Price monologue / explainer at the beginning felt like a homage to the X-Files exposed where Cigarette Smoking Man revealed he was responsible for every conspiracy theory of the last 50 years, including the Buffalo Bills losing the Super Bowl four times.

2. Is Sam setting up a Holy Trinity -- Father, Son, Holy Ghost?
    ElisaDoctor_Nick
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited October 17
    hopefully we're not heading for a St Elsewhere snow globe ending...

I still maintain Elliott never woke up from his lucid dream in S2...  :smile:

• A lot of the dialogue in this episode was... not good.   :#
  • edited October 18
    So if the third alter was baked into the beginning, then that could explain why Elliot doesn't recognize Darlene when he first meets her in S01E01. I like the idea that Elliot isn't the prime personality.  Someone else is the host, probably not even named Elliot.  

Darlene’s the host. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 18
    I think I like the theory where the third alter is the main personality working with Tyrell.  That would explain that scene in season 1 where Joanna sees Eliott looking for Tyrell and is very puzzled, and tries to speaking Swedish or Danish to him......
    Elisa
  • mharmless said:
    Anyone else catch that Dan Carlin was playing in the taxidermy shop? Voice jumped right out at me, but I am going through Hardcore History the past few weeks.
    I'm actually surprised that @A_Ron_Hubbard didn't catch that Hardcore History was playing in her shop.  That episode is probably my favorite of all of them and should be the boys favorite too, since it's about a cult of violent anabaptists that took over the town of Munster, Germany in the 1500s.  When the leaders were finally caught, they were tortured in one of most gruesome ways you could at the time; by having their skin slowly removed with hot iron - which also is why you hear the torture stuff on her stereo because that's the opening of the podcast where Dan Carlin talks about the historical nature of torture. 

Anyways, the leaders were then put in cages and hung from the steeple of the church in Munster, where they still hang today.  Now, does that podcast being played during that moment mean anything for future episodes?  It does take place in a taxidermy shop, and the Munster anabaptists were skinned alive.  Will that happen in this season to Dom or someone else?  Will the almost religious nature of the Dark Army be it's downfall and we see them hanging in some form or fashion by the end of the show?  Or maybe it's nothing.  Who knows, but it caught my attention immediately, especially since I've listened to that podcast at least 30 times.  It's so interesting and so disturbing.  Love it! :P

Btw, this the link to the podcast, if anyone is interested:  https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/
    Elisa
  • I'm starting to think, by way of my last post, that Dom is going to find her mother taxidermied because she's not going to properly head the warnings.

That would certainly be super fucked...