Watchmen

2»

Comments

• So I was just listening to the /Film Daily podcast and they had a guest on that saw the first episode of watchmen and it didn't sound like she had seen the entire series of The Leftovers but she stated  "I'm glad I saw a couple episodes of The Leftovers before I watched this pilot because there's a lot of shared DNA with this Watchmen pilot and the leftovers at least the beginning of it."  I think Lindelof just has that style of storytelling that feels a certain way and it worked perfectly for Leftovers and I feel like it would work well for where Watchmen is picking up after the movie/graphic novel.
    OpusWho
  • edited October 2019
    podcast dropped!  Im grave need of tempered expectations!
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Good call by A.Ron on Hooded Justice, that's a very interesting theory.  The minute men limited series by Darwin Cooke has a LOT more info on Hooded Justice if anyone is looking for more stories involving that character.

I will sharpshoot on Nite Owl being a Batman analog.  He's really a Ted Kord-Blue Beetle knock off.  Moore wanted to use DC's newly acquired Charlton characters for the story and DC balked due to the mature nature of the story and they were afraid it might tie their hands for any future plans they may use those characters going forward.

Due to this Moore created analogs of the Charlton characters for his story.  You can see below the one to one comparisons. 

The Question, the Ted Kord Blue Beetle (especially in the Bwha Ha HA Justice League run in the late 80's) and to a lesser extent Captain Atom are pretty important and popular DC characters now so that was probably a smart move for both parties. 

https://watchmen.fandom.com/wiki/Charlton_Comics

Charlton Comics characters and their Watchmen counterpartsEdit

Charlton Comics characterCreator(s)Watchmen counterpart
    Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett)
    (WPDCDP)
    Charles Nicholas WojtkowskiNite Owl (Hollis Mason)
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
    (WPDCDP)
    Steve DitkoNite Owl (Dan Dreiberg)
    Captain Atom
    (WPDCDP)
    Joe Gill
    Steve Ditko
    Doctor Manhattan
    Nightshade
    (WPDCDP)
    Joe Gill
    Steve Ditko
    Silk Spectre (Laurie Juspeczyk)
    Peacemaker
    (WPDCDP)
    Joe Gill
    Pat Boyette
    Comedian
    The Question
    (WPDCDP)
    Steve DitkoRorschach
    Thunderbolt (Peter Cannon)
    (WPDCDP)
    Pete MorisiOzymandias
    OpusWhoFlukes
  • Reviews are coming in, overall very positive reception. Sounds like this will be a very ambitious and "challenging" show which is not surprising for Lindlof's follow up to the Leftovers.

Sepinwall is always worth a read (not spoilery but if you want to go in without any idea of the general setup for the show you might want to hold off on reading):

Also he really was able to get at the core of what I think is wrong with the a Snyder movie:

"Snyder’s take has its moments (particularly an opening credits montage inserting superheroes into iconic American images across four decades), but in faithfully adapting the comic’s pulpy plot, it missed all the conceptual daring that was the important part. Characters who were meant to illustrate the absurd arrested development of superheroics were instead badasses having fights with bullet-time effects. It was like someone proving they could trace over a Picasso painting, without understanding what the original artist was doing with his strange rendering of the human anatomy."

FlukesOpusWho
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    MrX said:
    "It was like someone proving they could trace over a Picasso painting, without understanding what the original artist was doing with his strange rendering of the human anatomy."

Fuuuuu that's some good writing.
    FlukesMrX
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, that was my biggest problem with Snyder's version. He just didn't seem to get that these characters were not all about how cool they should look and be. It was a deconstruction of superheroes with characters who (mostly) had nothing super about them. Yet it was scene after scene with slow-mo, Matrix-like fight scenes. I get why he did it, because he is Snyder and that is his wheelhouse. It just was a general misunderstanding of what the book was trying to convey. It made me wonder if we read a different book. That opening montage though....
  • JaimieT said:
    MrX said:
    "It was like someone proving they could trace over a Picasso painting, without understanding what the original artist was doing with his strange rendering of the human anatomy."

Fuuuuu that's some good writing.

I was so excited when they got Sepinwall on an episode of their Rick and Morty podcast - would be amazing if he could come on for The Watchmen too!
    Flukes
  • Yeah, that was my biggest problem with Snyder's version. He just didn't seem to get that these characters were not all about how cool they should look and be. It was a deconstruction of superheroes with characters who (mostly) had nothing super about them. Yet it was scene after scene with slow-mo, Matrix-like fight scenes. I get why he did it, because he is Snyder and that is his wheelhouse. It just was a general misunderstanding of what the book was trying to convey. It made me wonder if we read a different book. That opening montage though....

The "Snyder Cut" should be The Watchmen edited down to the opening credits. And maybe Dr. Manhattan's origin scene. It's been awhile but I recall that maybe it was handled pretty well?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    MrX said:
    Yeah, that was my biggest problem with Snyder's version. He just didn't seem to get that these characters were not all about how cool they should look and be. It was a deconstruction of superheroes with characters who (mostly) had nothing super about them. Yet it was scene after scene with slow-mo, Matrix-like fight scenes. I get why he did it, because he is Snyder and that is his wheelhouse. It just was a general misunderstanding of what the book was trying to convey. It made me wonder if we read a different book. That opening montage though....

The "Snyder Cut" should be The Watchmen edited down to the opening credits. And maybe Dr. Manhattan's origin scene. It's been awhile but I recall that maybe it was handled pretty well?
    Yeah, the origin scene is handled pretty well. The other memorable part to me is the Flight of the Valkyries moment during Dr. Manhattan's assistance in Vietnam. Again all those parts are visually stunning, a thing that Snyder has never slouched in. I am glad we have the movie, though, and I remember being pumped after seeing it. It was largely seen as unfilmable and at least Snyder put it on screen. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited October 2019
    I’m not even sure exactly what the fuck I just watched but it was wonderful. 
    Flukes
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    It was great. We need a spoiler thread!
  • I always get confused on the timing of the live after show stuff. I'm mst and I'm assuming the guys are central time zone?
    Mofojones333
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I always get confused on the timing of the live after show stuff. I'm mst and I'm assuming the guys are central time zone?
    Eastern
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I always get confused on the timing of the live after show stuff. I'm mst and I'm assuming the guys are central time zone?
    Eastern
    I mentioned this in the spoiler thread - instant talk still not available in the feed. Guess it’s not so instant anymore  :'(