El Camino (Spoilers)

2»

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I liked it, but I'm not sure that I buy Jesse getting a happily ever after. I've always felt that even though he managed to get away at the end of Breaking Bad he was in for a sad life given all the horrors he'd been through. So yes, I liked it, but it did feel like fan service.
    I feel Jesse is still in for a sad life, at least for a while. His situation is obviously vastly improved at the end but he is clearly still suffering from PTSD. He's going to be remembering what happened to him and what he has done forever. He will probably live looking over his shoulder for a really long time.
    gguenot
  • I liked it, but I'm not sure that I buy Jesse getting a happily ever after. I've always felt that even though he managed to get away at the end of Breaking Bad he was in for a sad life given all the horrors he'd been through. So yes, I liked it, but it did feel like fan service.
    I feel Jesse is still in for a sad life, at least for a while. His situation is obviously vastly improved at the end but he is clearly still suffering from PTSD. He's going to be remembering what happened to him and what he has done forever. He will probably live looking over his shoulder for a really long time.
    He's driving around Alaska seeing his dead girlfriend in the passenger seat.
    Murderbear
  • I enjoyed it for the pure BB nostalgia but I don’t think it added anything. Fans have said that Jesse probably headed off to Alaska for 6 years now and all the movie did was take two hours down memory lane to confirm that. Not bad but “meh.”  I would have loved it if the movie started with him having been in Alaska for awhile but something returns to pull him back into his old life. 
    johnnytruantCaptainTrips
  • Jesse’s bookend was more satisfying than Walt’s

For how much Walter White was the main focal point of Breaking Bad, I was surprised how much he absolutely wasn’t missed throughout this movie. Walt without Jesse was an unsympathetic shell, but Jesse untethered by Walt turned out to be an honest to god hero worth rooting for. El Camino capped Jesse’s brutal and redemptive coming of age story. This character had earned himself his own bookend and it was rich, reflective and entertaining. In contrast to Walt’s “out of the crawl space” Myth Buster machine gun conclusion, Jesse’s felt nuanced and whole. 
  • It was... fine.  Kinda simple, the heists Jesse had to pull to get Max Cherry's money were just ok.  I think the could have even backfilled the time a little more, but that would have required more Walt, and that would probably have put Jesse back in his subordinate position.  Have to say that having rewatched up until yesterday, seeing flashback Todd now was just really jarring.  His acting was totally fine, but Plemons doesn't really come off as sinister, cracked Opie to me anymore.  
  • It was... fine.  Kinda simple, the heists Jesse had to pull to get Max Cherry's money were just ok.  I think the could have even backfilled the time a little more, but that would have required more Walt, and that would probably have put Jesse back in his subordinate position.  Have to say that having rewatched up until yesterday, seeing flashback Todd now was just really jarring.  His acting was totally fine, but Plemons doesn't really come off as sinister, cracked Opie to me anymore.  
    Agreed. I like Jesse Plemons as an actor, but ignoring how different he looks (which was distracting) I just didn't like the way they wrote his character. In BB he was this dead-eyed remorseless simpleton that represented an evil even worse the Walt, but in this movie, he was just a goofy sociopath that was played mostly for yucks.
    gjames80
  • edited October 2019
    It was alright but ultimately unneeded. In both the series finale and the end of the movie, Jesse drives off, supposedly to find freedom. The exact circumstances are not that important. And the story of "El Camino" wasn't so great that it definitely needed to be told now. 
    Since the villains were all killed by the end of BB, they needed to invent a new one, so Jesse could have revenge on someone (he was NOT in BB, was he?). I wish that would have been handled differently. And yeah, Jesse was lucky that the guy was suggesting a duel (?), otherwise his plan wouldn't have worked. That was a bit too convinient, I was not used to see that from Gilligan. 

That sounded very negative, but it was not a bad movie. A bit boring and unneeded maybe,  but overall alright. Nothing that ruins BB or the characters. But nothing that enrichens the BB mythology either. 
    tom_g
    Agreed. I like Jesse Plemons as an actor, but ignoring how different he looks (which was distracting) I just didn't like the way they wrote his character. In BB he was this dead-eyed remorseless simpleton that represented an evil even worse the Walt, but in this movie, he was just a goofy sociopath that was played mostly for yucks.
    I’ve been surprised reading reviews that so many people had issues with Todd.  I found his parts to be extremely creepy and thought that it was an excellent example of how real life psychopaths can appear to be nice people from the outside to those who aren’t close (the Stereotypical quiet neighbour) but because they don’t experience empathy or process emotions in the same way as everyone else he’s imitating and saying things that should be polite or comforting based on what he’s seen but doesn’t see why they are so out of place in the situation.  He’s calm and emotionless.  He is also a master manipulator and how he has broken Jesse so completely is so sad.  The push pull of threats/punishment and rewards is classic abuser behaviour.  I found their interactions to be some of the most difficult in the movie.
  • tom_g said:
    I liked it, but I'm not sure that I buy Jesse getting a happily ever after. I've always felt that even though he managed to get away at the end of Breaking Bad he was in for a sad life given all the horrors he'd been through. So yes, I liked it, but it did feel like fan service.
    He's driving around Alaska seeing his dead girlfriend in the passenger seat.
    Sorry to quote myself - correction - seeing one of his dead girlfriends - PLURAL.  Had he not met Walt, he would have made less money, and would have been FAR HAPPIER.
    Shelly
  • jbryant27jbryant27 Waxahachie, TX
    MrX said:
    pireb said:
    I don’t remember the “kandy” welding guy?  Who was he?

New character for the movie.
    At first I thought I was missing some super obvious callback to something from BB. 
  • Thought it was hella deace 
    JoshuaHeter
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited October 2019
    i didn't mind it.  a nice 2 hour closure episode of BB, that was nicely shot (loved classic Gilligan top down shot of Jesse searching the apartment).

as far as Todd goes, he was one of my fav parts. i wonder how much soup, pizza and beer he gave Jesse. cause for being held captive in a cage Jesse sure put on a few lbs :D

Teresa from Concord
  • gjames80 said:
    I enjoyed it for the pure BB nostalgia but I don’t think it added anything. Fans have said that Jesse probably headed off to Alaska for 6 years now and all the movie did was take two hours down memory lane to confirm that. Not bad but “meh.”  I would have loved it if the movie started with him having been in Alaska for awhile but something returns to pull him back into his old life. 
    Wait, was that opening clip of Jesse and Mike actual footage from Breaking Bad? I was under the impression it was new footage filmed for this movie. At any rate I don't recall any instance of Mike and Jesse having a discussion about Alaska or Jesse ever mentioning Alaska.

Also, yes, it does feel like they left this open-ended in case they want to do more with Jesse in the future. Which I wouldn't mind.
  • I think Jesse does mention Alaska in the actual show, but that discussion with Mike was new.

gjames80 said:
    I enjoyed it for the pure BB nostalgia but I don’t think it added anything. Fans have said that Jesse probably headed off to Alaska for 6 years now and all the movie did was take two hours down memory lane to confirm that. Not bad but “meh.”  I would have loved it if the movie started with him having been in Alaska for awhile but something returns to pull him back into his old life. 
    Wait, was that opening clip of Jesse and Mike actual footage from Breaking Bad? I was under the impression it was new footage filmed for this movie. At any rate I don't recall any instance of Mike and Jesse having a discussion about Alaska or Jesse ever mentioning Alaska.

Also, yes, it does feel like they left this open-ended in case they want to do more with Jesse in the future. Which I wouldn't mind.

• One thing that stuck out to me during the el camino podcast was Jim and Aaron agreed that the opening scene with Mike and Jesse takes place right before Mike is killed, which doesn't make any sense to me. I thought that scene took place during the "Buyout" phase of the series, which explains why "you know mr. white isn't going to be happy" coupled with the fact that they were talking about all the money that they were going to have. Plus why wouldn't Jesse just wait for Walt with Mike by his side before saying goodbye to him forever? I think the boys might have dropped the ball on that one. 
  • Overall I just thought it was OK. I loved Todd’s performance. He nailed that role and possibly saved the movie for me. I haven’t wanted to jump through a tv and punch someone so bad since King Joffrey.   “Want some soup?” “What kind of pizza do you want, Jessie?”  No wonder he got so fat. 

Unfortunately most of the movie was a drag for me. I love BB and really like BCS but the whole slow burn writing style is starting to feel overplayed in this universe.  I don’t feel much has really been resolved for Jessie by the end. He’s still a high profile wanted fugitive no matter what state he’s in. 

Glad the fans loved it.  Just wasn’t for me. I hope BCS can wrap this all up nicely. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited October 2019
    Overall I just thought it was OK. I loved Todd’s performance. He nailed that role and possibly saved the movie for me. I haven’t wanted to jump through a tv and punch someone so bad since King Joffrey.   “Want some soup?” “What kind of pizza do you want, Jessie?”  No wonder he got so fat. 

Unfortunately most of the movie was a drag for me. I love BB and really like BCS but the whole slow burn writing style is starting to feel overplayed in this universe.  I don’t feel much has really been resolved for Jessie by the end. He’s still a high profile wanted fugitive no matter what state he’s in. 

Glad the fans loved it.  Just wasn’t for me. I hope BCS can wrap this all up nicely. 
    What I wouldn't give to see Todd taking Lydia out on a date to a restaurant she likes. 

"Ummm... I guess I'll just have the paw-mezz fritt-ezz."
    NervousRhino
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    haha the guys did mention they spotted the bald cap..

NervousRhinoTeresa from Concord
  • The shootout at the end felt like it was tacked on so people wouldn’t think this was flat-out boring, but holy shit that was some baffling choreography and am I the only one who finds it wildly out of character for Jesse to blow those dudes away like he did? Shooting Gale fucked him up completely, and he couldn’t pull the trigger on child-murdering, girlfriend-hunting Meth Damon, but then the end of the whole series is him action-quipping and lighting dudes the fuck up without second thought? That made no sense to me. Otherwise Jesse Plemons was the best part and this whole thing felt pretty extraneous to me. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited October 2019
    I think Jesse, after surviving the hell that was being locked in a cage and being prepared to do whatever he needed to escape this life, was going to do exactly that. Shooting Gale and shooting Kandy welding guy, who asked for the duel, are two totally different things. And the second guy was going to shoot him so he had no choice. And as much as I wanted him to shoot Todd in the desert, we knew it wasn't going to happen since he was there in the compound for Walt's trunk gun attack. But he didn't do it for one reason: Brock. If he and Todd never showed back up, I'm sure that shitty Nazi uncle would have taken revenge. (Although Jesse didn't know where Brock was after the state took custody, I don't know if Uncle Nazi would know how to find him either. He wasn't going to take that chance though. Also also, I thought Jesse was going to pull the trigger and it was an empty gun Todd had planted to test him.)
    FreddyJoshuaHeter
  • An average movie to me, but I appreciated the theme of Jesse having to say good bye to idealistic or childish notions to really start his new life. Even after everything he did in the TV series, he didn't become a man in that world until he stopped bowing to his adversaries. I think it played more like a fantasy because Jesse's struggle was in his head.
  • My biggest issue with this movie is with the cleaner/vacuum guy.  No way a guy like that doesn't get paid ahead of time.  So him telling Jesse he that he owes him 125k from last time is a bit off.

Other than that, I didn't mind this movie.  Was it awesome?  No.  But for me, getting 1 more chance to see the characters from the show was fun enough.

Doctor_Nick