S10E2 - We are the end of the world

Didn't see a thread so I thought I'd start, I wasn't too happy that they were going to tell these stories separately for the first few episodes BUT...as far as episodes involving backstory goes I thought this was actually not half bad. Anyone else? Thoughts?
blue_sleeverustywright4

Comments

• I can see the argument that making the Whisperers a cult-like group makes them make more sense but I found that the stilted dialog, special terms, naming ritual, etc. put me in the mind of the Heapsters.  Personally I think wearing walker faces as masks, living like animals, and walking with herds of the dead is enough to make the Whisperers a distinct group.
  • lengmo said:
    I can see the argument that making the Whisperers a cult-like group makes them make more sense but I found that the stilted dialog, special terms, naming ritual, etc. put me in the mind of the Heapsters.  Personally I think wearing walker faces as masks, living like animals, and walking with herds of the dead is enough to make the Whisperers a distinct group.
    I hear that, the dialogue is borderline cringy at times but I identify it as more of a religion that way. The heapsters just did not talk normally at all and they didn't believe in anything per se, they were just weird for weird sake, nor did they pose much of a threat. Here at least they have this strange faith in the "guardians" which for all intensive purposes keeps them safe, but I do hear you. I find the whisperers 100X more engaging either way. 
    blue_sleeverustywright4
  • wasn't looking forward to another flashback episode told through more flashbacks (has this not been done to death at this point? Thanks Lost...)

But some good editing saved it. Kept the story beats moving along and some good cuts from 'present flashback' to 'past flashback' were interesting. There was a sequence that inter-cut between Beta looking for Alpha in the current timeline, Lydia covered in guts going out to do solo walker-walking, and Alpha looking for Lydia in the past timeline, all of which end with an Alpha/Beta confrontation that plays out mostly equal-but-opposite. Normally this show does horrible at editing the "This person walks to another place and does something" scenes, but this sequence stood out to me. Last season had a similarly edited sequence with the Michonne episode where she was essentially hunting down the group of kids that showed up with her old friend. 

I do agree the Whisperer dialog is a bit overly stilted, but not nearly on the same level as the garbage people.

jleav382
  • How about that lady at the beginning of the episode getting torn apart by walkers??!! That might be the best death scene yet in this show. The special effects were on point. As for the episode, I felt like it was needed to help flesh out Beta. Up until this episode he was just a ‘generic henchmen’. That being said, I’m hoping the next episode cranks it up a notch. The audience is fully brought up to speed on what’s been happening, time to move the story forward. 
    rustywright4jleav382
  • How about that lady at the beginning of the episode getting torn apart by walkers??!! That might be the best death scene yet in this show. The special effects were on point. As for the episode, I felt like it was needed to help flesh out Beta. Up until this episode he was just a ‘generic henchmen’. That being said, I’m hoping the next episode cranks it up a notch. The audience is fully brought up to speed on what’s been happening, time to move the story forward. 
    Yeah the nose bite and the jaw rip were on point, almost if not just as effective as noah's death.