Watchmen S1E1: It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice (SPOILERS)

Comments

• So what do we think the setup is?

Official police are so hated by the population they police that they mask themselves and try to hide themselves in the community?  Sounds like the shot officer wouldn't even be safe in the general population hospital, from what Don Johnson's character was telling the wife.  Are these Federal police, or locals?

LordBy said:
    Deputy with the silver mask’s face looked like a Rorschach mask during about every set of images in the interrogation pod. That’s not an accident.
    Well, that is one of the ways they are getting a reaction out of the guy he was interrogating.  The interrogators said something like "his pupillary response was off the chart on every Rorschach..." or words to that effect.
    gguenotJaimieT
  • OpusWho said:
    I think the Squid Rain is an unexpected side result of the large one....not a huge leap . All the little squids are beginning embryos that never make it once they fall to the ground. I dont think Adrian continues with this .  It seems to ordinary. People are SO used to it its just another pain to deal with and have regulated cleanup...like snow. Very LinelofyTM2019. Maybe candidate Redford ran on a platform of public funding to deal with the Squid Rain...some get wet while others...gross.
    I haven't watched this yet, but the big squid was a fake. Why would there be embryos? 
  • They don't go into this at all, it's assumed background knowledge so far.  But I assume to keep up the charade.

asmallcat said:
    OpusWho said:
    I think the Squid Rain is an unexpected side result of the large one....not a huge leap . All the little squids are beginning embryos that never make it once they fall to the ground. I dont think Adrian continues with this .  It seems to ordinary. People are SO used to it its just another pain to deal with and have regulated cleanup...like snow. Very LinelofyTM2019. Maybe candidate Redford ran on a platform of public funding to deal with the Squid Rain...some get wet while others...gross.
    I haven't watched this yet, but the big squid was a fake. Why would there be embryos? 

Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    They don't go into this at all, it's assumed background knowledge so far.  But I assume to keep up the charade.

asmallcat said:
    OpusWho said:

Yeah, it seems to be something they use to identify 7th Kavalry members because the allegation that the squid was faked (and not from another dimension or whatever) comes from Rorschach's journal which appears to be their foundational text.

What we know, that most people in-world probably don't, is that Rorschach's journal is true. That means "why is there squid rain?" is a very good and pertinent question. Why the fuck is there squid rain!?

OpusWho
  • I haven't watched this yet, but the big squid was a fake. Why would there be embryos? 

Well, the threat that it was an invading alien planet was fake. A biological thing was created. A giant squid that was expected to die once transported. So, since the actual Squid was only transported once Veidt couldn't know about any other variables that could cause lasting effects...like random baby squid storms.

or the flux capacitor crossed the streams with the dilithium crystals and BOOM! Squid Rain.

PS-The Land We Belong To Is Grand
    FlukesTeresa from Concord
  • I am from Oklahoma so I’m pretty excited to see a show set in Tulsa. That 1921 scene was horrific and incredible. Even in state history class the Tulsa race riot was barely mentioned and it wasn’t until recently that I’ve heard it framed as the “Tulsa race massacre” that it truly was. 

adampaszJaimieTElisaken haleblacksunrise7
  • They are posting in universe materials after every episode. Similar to how each issue of the comic would have info after that informed world building/plot.
    https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

This explains how Rorshachs journal was received, ozy's disappearance, why technology like computers were banned and now are slowly being reintroduced, and more.

The one detail that's interesting is that night owl and the comedienne(silkspectre 2) were arrested in 1995 for violating the Keene act. Dan is still in custody but Laurie works for the FBI.
    @Killert0ast There is so much good stuff here. Thank you. It touches on everything this thread is talking about.
  • edited October 2019
    OpusWho said:

Well, the threat that it was an invading alien planet was fake. A biological thing was created. A giant squid that was expected to die once transported. So, since the actual Squid was only transported once Veidt couldn't know about any other variables that could cause lasting effects...like random baby squid storms.

or the flux capacitor crossed the streams with the dilithium crystals and BOOM! Squid Rain.

PS-The Land We Belong To Is Grand
    Wait wait, I thought it was all special effects. It wasn't a living thing. There was a fake movie and it was a monster for the fake movie right?

Edit - and definitely starting this show this week. Was initially tepid but the generally positive reviews have me willing to give it a chance. 
    OpusWho
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2019
    "[Out of respect for Agent Blake, who has consistently objected to the science of the Werthem Spectrum tool, I shall refrain from diagnosing her"

Seduction of the Innocent is a book by American psychiatrist Fredric Wertham, published in 1954, that warned that comic books were a negative form of popular literature and a serious cause of juvenile delinquency. The book was taken seriously at the time in the United States, and was a minor bestseller that created alarm in American parents and galvanized them to campaign for censorship. At the same time, a U.S. Congressional inquiry was launched into the comic book industry. Subsequent to the publication of Seduction of the Innocent, the Comics Code Authority was voluntarily established by publishers to self-censor their titles. His research has been disputed by later scholars.

Fun Easter Eggs....
    OpusWhoElisaFlukes
  • Was that (Mad Men's) Bob Benson in the previews for the season??? With him and Regina King, I am so in!!!
    Aeshaw90
  • Was that (Mad Men's) Bob Benson in the previews for the season??? With him and Regina King, I am so in!!!
    NOT GREAT BOB. 
    MurderbearJaimieTElisarkcrawfMichellelawgirl2528
  • Not really adding anything new but damn what an opening episode.  Just jumps you straight into it and gets going.  That opening scene was tough to watch but I'm glad this show is including a real event like that that's not ever talked about or teached out in schools.  The squid rain was equally comical and disgusting.  Everybody knew exactly what to do when it happened and I couldn't imagine being caught outside without cover when something like that happens.  Can't wait to see more from Lindelof's creation with Regina King leading the charge.  
    ElisarkcrawfOpusWho
  • Watched this last night, and really enjoyed it, so I'm in!
    I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so don't know if this was discussed, so please bear with me if it was: I'm super interested in History, particularly US History. So is my husband. Neither one of us knew a single thing about the Tulsa race riots. We had never even heard of it, and when we looked it up after the show, we were shocked and appalled - not only about the horrific events, but at the fact we went to school in different states and neither one of us knew about it, which makes it seems like it's basically been ignored and erased from general knowledge. Is this something that is taught in Oklahoma, or other states?
    MurderbearElisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Watched this last night, and really enjoyed it, so I'm in!
    I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so don't know if this was discussed, so please bear with me if it was: I'm super interested in History, particularly US History. So is my husband. Neither one of us knew a single thing about the Tulsa race riots. We had never even heard of it, and when we looked it up after the show, we were shocked and appalled - not only about the horrific events, but at the fact we went to school in different states and neither one of us knew about it, which makes it seems like it's basically been ignored and erased from general knowledge. Is this something that is taught in Oklahoma, or other states?
    This is the thing that has stuck with me the most after the episode. Definitely not something that is widely known and I am shocked it took a comic book show to shed some light on our shameful history.
    ElisaJaimieTOpusWho

We are extremely and intentionally bad at remembering our own history.
    Elisarkcrawf
    This is the thing that has stuck with me the most after the episode. Definitely not something that is widely known and I am shocked it took a comic book show to shed some light on our shameful history.
    I know The Watchmen movie (which is the extent of my knowledge of The Watchmen universe) has an alternative timeline, and I literally thought that entire scene was depicting an event from this 'alternative timeline'.
    It truly was shocking to learn that not only did this really happen, but the events and aftermath have been ignored for almost 100 years!
    ElisaMurderbearken hale
    edited October 2019
    And just now listening to the Instant Talk podcast, I would like to posit that just because Sister Knight beat the shit out of that dude doesn't mean she was "allowed" to do so. That happens so many times in other shows or movies (and sadly real life I'm sure) where a cop goes over the line to get the answers they want. Don Johnson wasn't exactly pleased when she brought the guy in on her own before he actually gave the word but since they had him, might as well find out what he knows.
    FlukesrkcrawfElisa
  • Plug for a wonderful YA historical fiction novel that both my then-13 year old daughter and I read last year that takes place in Tulsa today and Tulsa in 1921 before and during the massacre.  The book covers how the Black community was thriving and then the events that led up to its destruction.  And the book covers typical modern day YA issues from racial tensions today and even teen sexuality (very light).  So if you have a mature teen I recommend this book.  It gave us a lot to talk about and I learned something regarding another sad aspect of our American history that was conveniently buried.

Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham

MurderbearFlukesElisa
  • I'm grateful for the Instant Talk, even though I didn't catch it live. I completely misread what was going on with Don Johnson. I recognized that the "cops" on his porch were Kalvary men. But I thought they killed him, and Hooded Justice found him. But that he was working with the Kalvary makes much more sense with the foreshadowing earlier on in the episode.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    rkcrawf said:
    I'm grateful for the Instant Talk, even though I didn't catch it live. I completely misread what was going on with Don Johnson. I recognized that the "cops" on his porch were Kalvary men. But I thought they killed him, and Hooded Justice found him. But that he was working with the Kalvary makes much more sense with the foreshadowing earlier on in the episode.

I missed... all of this. Even in the Instant Cast. Everything makes much more sense. I thought HJ was morally ambiguous or it was a misunderstanding.
    Flukes
  • JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    I'm grateful for the Instant Talk, even though I didn't catch it live. I completely misread what was going on with Don Johnson. I recognized that the "cops" on his porch were Kalvary men. But I thought they killed him, and Hooded Justice found him. But that he was working with the Kalvary makes much more sense with the foreshadowing earlier on in the episode.

I missed... all of this. Even in the Instant Cast. Everything makes much more sense. I thought HJ was morally ambiguous or it was a misunderstanding.
    Fhaaaaaaqqq...I'm explaining it to a friend. And then I'm like, remember HJ asked if SK thought he could lift 200 lbs? Remember the kid watching the film of a black Marshall capturing a crooked white sheriff?

It was all right there and I didn't see it!
    FlukesElisaDee
    edited October 2019
    And how do we know those were Kalvary men on his porch? What was the foreshadowing of him being bad? I guess other than the most casual cocaine use of all time? (not that that makes you bad but definitely not behavior befitting of a chief) God I need this episode to hopefully make sense of some things!! Ha

Also, did anyone catch the character name of the person with Don Johnson in the airship? I missed it and just curious.
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:

Fhaaaaaaqqq...I'm explaining it to a friend. And then I'm like, remember HJ asked if SK thought he could lift 200 lbs? Remember the kid watching the film of a black Marshall capturing a crooked white sheriff?

It was all right there and I didn't see it!

No I mean Don Johnson being a secret white supremacists. I noticed the HJ 200 lbs hint and figured he'd hung the guy before they showed it (his death was still foreshadowed to me). And Veidt was riding a white horse... so I thought that was going to come in later, with Veidt. I guess I just missed the scene that showed DJ was bad.
    @Murderbear

Okay maybe I didn't miss anything... 
  • @Murderbear - Mostly circumstantial, from my perspective.

It looked (to me) like it was all white guys on the porch. I remember thinking that in the moment, but I didn't stop to think about it. Something just said to me, those aren't the cops we saw from the police station.

There is the conversation between SK and HJ about lifting 200 lbs. The film with the crooked white sheriff being caught by the black Marshall. Don Johnson protested about SK's capture and treatment of the prisoner. And J&A both said the picture of DJ.with his dad seemed like the dad was racist (which I think is odd, but I have to see the pic again).

Maybe it's not foreshadowing, but looking back, it all fits.
    MurderbearJaimieTken hale
    @rkcrawf I like it. That all makes sense. I think the 200 pounds thing is interesting too because it could be taken two ways. As in, hey do you think I can catch this sheriff and string him up? Or, "Do you think, I, could lift 200 pounds??" As in, there is no possible way I did this but I know who did.
    JaimieTElisa
    Yeah, I do think that was all foreshadowing. I guess I'm waiting to see whether he was fairly or unfairly hanged. 
    Murderbear
  • I assumed he was bad when the music as he stepped out to the car was extremely menacing and then he lied about having someone drive him to the hospital. It felt like he was on his way to silence him before anybody else could get there. He seemed really comfortable driving by himself and getting out of the car like he knew he wasn't going to be attacked by the kavalry, but there could be lots of reasons for that.
    Elisa
  • I also feel like her wasn’t listening to just news on the radio. Need to watch again a listen to pcast for sure. and doing blow don’t make you a bad person but why was everyone cool
    with it?
  • OpusWho said:
    I also feel like her wasn’t listening to just news on the radio. Need to watch again a listen to pcast for sure. and doing blow don’t make you a bad person but why was everyone cool
    with it?
    When was he doing blow? I feel I missed so much.

I can't tell what's context I'm missing from the comics, what's just normal Lindelof missing context, or what I'm just missing.

I think it's pretty damn cool but I wish we had a little more to go on. Also, I don't think coke ever made anyone a good person.
    OpusWho