‘Star Wars’ Setback: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Trilogy

2»

Comments

• edited October 30
    Saying books 4 and 5 were unfilmable is ludicrous. Any time I see someone say that I know they’re just parroting what they heard someone else say who didn’t like those books for whatever reason. The whole reason Martin wrote this series in the first place was because he wanted to write something that was “unfilmable.” They’re build-up books just like Game and Clash, and I have a feeling people will look on them way more fondly once we get the explosion of Winds. 

I’ll never understand the hate for Feast and Dance, I think they’re incredible. Hell, Dance is my favorite book of the whole series, and Feast is right there behind Storm for my 3rd. Brienne’s chapters are Mad Max, Theon’s chapters are a horror movie, Cersei’s chapters are some of the most fun in the whole series, and a slow spiral into pure paranoia and lunacy, Bran is on a psychedelic journey through history, Arya and Sansa are training to be ruthless in their own separate ways, there’s tons of political intrigue at the Wall and in Meereen, Winterfell turning into a powder keg ready to explode with the impending battle between Stannis and Roose, you’ve got the rise of the Greyjoys and them becoming a major endgame obstacle, House Martell infiltrating every power structure of the capitol and slowly planning out their revenge on House Lannister, and possibly throwing their support behind Aegon and the Golden Company. 

God damn there’s so much great shit in those books, and the Double Dipshits blew right past ALL of it.
    Giovanni
  • Really it’s sort of impressive that Seasons 1-4ish were so good in retrospect. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited October 30
    fralmaas said:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/10/28/game-of-thrones-showrunners-david-benioff-and-db-weiss-confirmed-the-worst-suspicions-of-the-fanbase/#383d8bdbf37c

- "Benioff and Weiss emerged from their public hibernation to attend a panel at the Austin Film Festival, and finally answer some questions from fans. The two were brutally honest, essentially admitting that they were never fully qualified for the job from the beginning."

- "Benioff and Weiss still aren’t sure why George R.R. Martin entrusted them with his magnum opus, as the two didn’t have any comparable experience, or even an appreciation of the book’s themes. (...) In fact, Benioff once said: “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” which tells you all you need to know about his dedication to the art of storytelling."

- "The two went on to admit that they had absolutely no idea how to work with costume designers (kind of important for a fantasy series), and described their experience making Thrones as “an expensive film school.”"

- "The two never went online to read criticisms of the show from fans, who clearly understood the books better than they did. Well, Benioff searched online, once, but the results “upset him,” so he never did it again."

Well, this answers a few questions!

We need a Blood in Hollywood Valley documentary!

Oh wait, this is just 2 men, so nothing nefarious going on here...
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Hooooly shit, reading that, I revise my earlier thoughts about them being middling writers. They are not writers.
    BroRad33ken haleCretanBullFlukesBloodyTacoblacksunrise7
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Really it’s sort of impressive that Seasons 1-4ish were so good in retrospect. 
    I mean, they were still pretty meticulously pulling straight from the page at that point, right down to the dialogue. 

You can really track when they start going off the rails by paying attention to how the language and the logic of the show changes. Over the course of one offseason between 4 and 5, everything seemed to change. Season 5 is when Game of Thrones devolved from the subversive, never-know-what’s-going-to-happen-next political fantasy into schlocky, tropey, cliche-driven TeeVee. 

Never more obvious than when they wiped Stannis and Roose off the board, only to reset the exact same story but this time replacing them with the two sexy TV bois. 
    Giovanni
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    "Setback".
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 30
    Checks website. 
    Hmmmm.... not The Onion. 
    Understands now. 

fralmaas said:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/10/28/game-of-thrones-showrunners-david-benioff-and-db-weiss-confirmed-the-worst-suspicions-of-the-fanbase/#383d8bdbf37c

- "Benioff and Weiss emerged from their public hibernation to attend a panel at the Austin Film Festival, and finally answer some questions from fans. The two were brutally honest, essentially admitting that they were never fully qualified for the job from the beginning."

- "Benioff and Weiss still aren’t sure why George R.R. Martin entrusted them with his magnum opus, as the two didn’t have any comparable experience, or even an appreciation of the book’s themes. (...) In fact, Benioff once said: “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” which tells you all you need to know about his dedication to the art of storytelling."

- "The two went on to admit that they had absolutely no idea how to work with costume designers (kind of important for a fantasy series), and described their experience making Thrones as “an expensive film school.”"

- "The two never went online to read criticisms of the show from fans, who clearly understood the books better than they did. Well, Benioff searched online, once, but the results “upset him,” so he never did it again."

• edited October 30
    awookiee said:
    I'm clearly in the minority here but I'm actually disappointed with this.  I really want to see the Double D's get a chance to head and write their own big project after Game of Thrones to see what they can do with something they can call their own.  
    I never read the GoT books, but didn't the series spiral out of control once D&D were off the stuff that Martin wrote?  Isn't the cause of the show sucking that they started writing their own stuff (with Martin's plot guidance)? 
    In essence yes, the series did start it's downfall when they ran out of GRRM material to base it off of but I want to see what the double D's are capable of.  I think giving them a Star Wars project could have been an amazing, what they were going to be creating would clearly have some kind of backstory as I don't think they'd create something entirely new in the Star Wars universe is even possible these days.  But they would be in charge of scripting it from start to finish.  Everybody bashes them for how Game of Thrones ended BUT they did some absolute A+ work along the way.  
  • Considering their first idea for original content post GoT was “Confederate” I’m gonna say I’m not that enthusiastic their SW original material would be any better. 
    DeeCretanBull
  • Reading that article I find it amazing anything worth watching has ever been created. In a system run like that I am dumbfounded by what the series accomplished.

I guess it really is true, in Hollywood you fail upwards

This breaks down the madness fairly well:

• CapeGabe said:
    Reading that article I find it amazing anything worth watching has ever been created. In a system run like that I am dumbfounded by what the series accomplished.

I’m never going to be able to go back and watch those first few seasons again. I have no idea how I’m supposed to appreciate any of that shit knowing that it spirals into an unprecedented fucking disaster. 
    CapeGabeBroRad33blacksunrise7ken hale
  • CapeGabe said:
    Reading that article I find it amazing anything worth watching has ever been created. In a system run like that I am dumbfounded by what the series accomplished.

I’m never going to be able to go back and watch those first few seasons again. I have no idea how I’m supposed to appreciate any of that shit knowing that it spirals into an unprecedented fucking disaster. 
    As someone who never re-watched prestige TV anyway (it's so much time investment and there's so much out there I still need to see), this is great news for me =P 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    So...is it possible that GRRM didn’t finish the writing because he realized Benioff and Weiss were fucking idiots and didn’t want to give them any more if his work? I realize the big hole in this theory is we still DON’T have books!
    ken haleGiovanni
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 31
    I mean basically this week has thoroughly convinced me that D&D were overhyped as showrunners and most of the success on the part of GoT is due to hiring extremely talented below the line crew members and sheer dumb luck. However I must also stress that GRRM promised to have the fucking books done a long time ago and had he actually upheld that promise it’s entirely likely, and in fact probable, that the later seasons would have turned out more or less fine. So while we’re all dunking (rightfully I think) on D&D let’s not forget that GRRM still has his fair share of the blame for this. 
    BroRad33CretanBull
  • I mean if all a show runner did was find the right crew members to hire to produce 5ish seasons of some of the best television ever they would be among the best show runners on TV lol. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • Can we just give Dave Filoni some live action Star Wars now? I think he'd be perfect for some Old Republic movies and would really look forward to his vision. 
  • edited October 31
    This is what they actually said at that panel. The Twitter user cherry picked and misrepresented alot of what they said.
    http://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-weiss-reflect-decade-game-thrones-austin-film-festival/

While I did not like the last 2 seasons of GOT the way people alter quotes to fit the narrative is kinda terrible. It allows all these sites to make headlines for clickbait and rile people up.
    asmallcatawookiee
  • This is what they actually said at that panel. The Twitter user cherry picked and misrepresented alot of what they said.
    http://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-weiss-reflect-decade-game-thrones-austin-film-festival/

While I did not like the last 2 seasons of GOT the way people alter quotes to fit the narrative is kinda terrible. It allows all these sites to make headlines for clickbait and rile people up.
    I kind of figured they were taken out of context but I didn't care enough about game of thrones anymore to dig deeper. It's like, yeah guys, the last season sucked. But it doesn't need to be a secret conspiracy, or something we all should have seen coming, or whatever. It can just suck cause the people working on it didn't have the drive to make it good anymore, or cause they were never good enough without GRRM's work to go off, or because GRRM himself doesn't know how to end the story and the books are gonna be just as bad, or all of the above. We don't need to make up shit about why it was bad. 
  • fralmaas said:

Fascinating because they, in their honesty, have affirmed that they were everything every critic has said about them - no more or no less. What is sad is that if someone had posted these same criticisms, someone else would be defending D & D. 
  • Personally, I think it’s completely fair to hound these guys out of the entertainment industry entirely, so I approve of all this. What I’m really not looking forward to is five-ten years from now when people turn all hipster-contrarian on this and try to argue that everybody just didn’t “get” the last season.  
  • ken hale said:
    Personally, I think it’s completely fair to hound these guys out of the entertainment industry entirely, so I approve of all this. What I’m really not looking forward to is five-ten years from now when people turn all hipster-contrarian on this and try to argue that everybody just didn’t “get” the last season.  
    Yeah I fully expect this to get the SW prequel treatment 10 years from now. 

8 rEaSOns SeAsON 8 wAs AcTuaLlY tHe BEsT
  • "When the kids think of Game of Thrones, they think of Drogon barbequeing the Iron Throne...."

ken hale said:
    Personally, I think it’s completely fair to hound these guys out of the entertainment industry entirely, so I approve of all this. What I’m really not looking forward to is five-ten years from now when people turn all hipster-contrarian on this and try to argue that everybody just didn’t “get” the last season.  
    Yeah I fully expect this to get the SW prequel treatment 10 years from now. 

8 rEaSOns SeAsON 8 wAs AcTuaLlY tHe BEsT

• Imagine if the DDs were allowed to adapt the REAL sequel trilogy. If they were able to put to screen the original Thrawn trilogy then damn...

but to ask them to create the story of how the Jedi became to be or any other original idea then I’m Glad they are off. 
    blacksunrise7
  • I think these guys are pretty bad at what they do. I have no idea why they wouldn't have taken HBOs advice and gotten more writing help. A clear case of them being a bit delusional. 
    blacksunrise7