Announcing Swizzbold!

2»

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    I know little about politics, be it my country or yours (wherever you are).  But @A_Ron_Hubbard is a voice I trust.  So I'll be giving it a go.
    rustywright4DoubleA_RonDrCynPizFlukesksa1001
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    visi0n said:
    Does the name Swizzbold have an origin story like Bald Move did?
    Just realized I’ve been saying Swizzbald! 
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    I don't post often, mostly just a listener and reader, but this sounds interesting and cheers to your new endeavor.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I'm very involved politically so I'm super excited for this. Aron also made an offhand comment years ago about a podcast devoted to economics and I thought that was really intriguing. 
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    First episode of Three Right Turns is live now! bit.ly/SwizzBold3RT1
    gguenotMichelleMattyWeavesDrCynPizFlukesrustywright4
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    It was really good. Once A.Ron got settled in it really started to click.

I have so many questions I want to send in that I haven't wanted to put in the lunch thread.
    A_Ron_HubbardFlukesrustywright4
  • Great first ep. I wanted to let you know I feel very much the same as you and I am coming from a similar position (live in Northwest OH, married, two kids, am a non-practicing catholic, have a desk job but love working on my house and a demolition derby or two).

The mission point that intrigued me the most was mission three, helping someone with progressive views articulate and defend this position without sounding like a pompous ass. My wife's side of the family is very conservative and I typically avoid all political talk at functions mainly because I feel I am not informed enough on a particular subject and paralyzed by worrying about spreading mis-information that I'll just smile and nod. 

But an example I can give is when I was informed and felt I could provide a counter point was awhile back when the whole net neutrality thing was in the news. Since I was very passionate about that subject and had done a lot of personal research, when the topic came up I was able to have them understand this wasn’t about government imposing draconian measures it was about keeping the top players from monopolizing pipes and getting preferential treatment. And they actually understood that government enforcement of the internet wasn't the evil that right said it was. Wether it changed their minds I don't know, but being able to explain the information that they were being exposed to was at the very least inaccurate felt really good. 

One question though, will you be posting the upcoming topic somewhere ahead of the recording so we could submit our thoughts and/or questions on the subject or will the episodes just be free flowing about whatever someone sends in or what you want to talk about?

One thought would be to put a forum post out there highlighting what the next episode will focusing on. Example might be: Next episode will be on xyz topic, what are your thoughts? 

Really looking forward to this podcast and I hope it gains traction.
    gguenotksa1001rodjdaniels
  • Hey I think I made a mistake posting feedback for #3RT on reddit....Where will the discussions be taking place @A_Ron_Hubbard?  Loved it BTW!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Nah, until we get an official channel going the /r/swizzbold subreddit is the place to be. After the initial wave of cross promotion is over, we're planning on pushing swizzbold talk to the various social medias, email, and reddit.  For right now, nobody feel bad for commenting where ever they find convenient! :)
    rodjdaniels
  • Can @Jim do an android-themed podcast?
  • Man, I missed most of the Black Klansman drama. I remember a mention on a lunch but didn’t know there was that much of an uproar and a mass exile or exodus. 

Maybe you’ll humanize some of the Right for me to where I don’t automatically loathe them.
  • I listened to your introductory episode and appreciate it very much. I’m a white woman from the Deep South born into  a poor, racist, redneck family. I got out by getting an education and getting involved with creative, artistic people, and my proudest accomplishment is raising two adult children who have empathy and compassion for other people.

I started listening to your podcasts back when The Walking Dead was good. I kept listening to you guys and dropped other similar podcasts because you seem like two intelligent friends I might have, discussing a topic I’m interested in, and not requiring me to say anything. Somewhere along the line it dawned on me that I was listening to two white straight guys who apparently don’t fear or distrust women, and who make an effort to understand the issues confronting people who are not white straight guys instead of copping out with “whoa, can’t go there, PC, blah blah.” 

I am recommending 3RT to everyone, and I’m listening to try and pick up tips on responding politely (effectively?) to people who are repeating lies they have been fed by Fox News, etc. For instance, an elderly woman who says she doesn’t watch Netflix because “Obama is a part-owner in that.” My first reaction is to yank this racist bitch’s false teeth out and hide them, so I guess you can say I need to get off the ledge. I’ve gotten to where I just keep my gobsmacked mouth shut, and I’m not sure that’s the right thing to do.

Anyway, congratulations, I hope this podcast is the hit that it deserves to be, and I would love to see you get rich and famous while paying your taxes and not whining about it.
    RyanReesemanA_Ron_HubbardDeerustywright4MichelleJaimieT
  • rodjdanielsrodjdaniels Houston, TX
    I am currently listening to the intro podcast and I have to say, I'm really picking up what you're putting down here.  As a black man born in Arkansas raised in Oklahoma and living in  Houston, Texas for the past many years I've seen just about everything. I too was raised in a small town that was 95+ percent white. It wasn't until I moved to Texas, and specifically Houston that I had a crash course in multicultural experiences. 

I grew up in a lower-middle-class household where my parents had me at 16 and were the first in the family to go to college. They have worked their way up to upper-middle-class and now live overseas in the middle east working for an international oil company.

I myself grew up very religious, in a southern baptist church but now attend a much more inclusive methodist church. But as I just turned 34, bought a house, got married, have 2 kids (and one on the way) politics all of a sudden mean a lot more to me. I see the effects every day. From worrying about taxes, or my son's safety at school to having to explain to him why his brown skin might cause his kindergarten teacher to treat him differently.

I consider myself to be liberal and progressive-leaning, but of course, that is a continuingly developing stance. I have an accounting degree and working on masters and CPA and often don't fit the traditional black man in America narrative. My friends and I have dabbled in podcasting ourselves as a way to convey the thoughts of educated, young, black men living in a wildly conservative part of the country.

I try to surround myself with people who don't think as I do. None of my friends are religious, and most are 2nd generation immigrants from East Africa. I am an inherently skeptical person and sometimes that clashes with many views and beliefs, even my own.

But with all that said, I can't tell you how excited I am to have a place to listen to well thought out, opinions on politics and have a sounding board for my own growing opinions.  I came in listening to GoT podcasts, West World kept me and now the racially charged mystery box that is Watchmen has me hooked. Keep up the good work and I hope to write in early and often.

A_Ron_Hubbardrustywright4JanelMoonMan13Michelle
  • I really really appreciated that first episode. There’s nothing else out there like it that I know, it’s something I’ve been craving for awhile. Thanks @A_Ron_Hubbard,  looking forward to future episodes.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @skicreative ;

Street epistemology is a really great method to having calm conversations that get people to think. Right now it's huge in the atheism community -- you can understand why, since atheism has that stereotype -- so FWIW it might help you. I've lost so much anxiety around conversations now. 
    A_Ron_HubbardFlukes
    JaimieT said:
    @skicreative ;

Street epistemology is a really great method to having calm conversations that get people to think. Right now it's huge in the atheism community -- you can understand why, since atheism has that stereotype -- so FWIW it might help you. I've lost so much anxiety around conversations now. 
    Wow, TIL about street epistemology. What a great concept.
    JaimieT
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @A_Ron_Hubbard & @Cecily, great first ep of OWT!  Looking forward to next week's ep!
    JaimieTFreddy
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    JaimieT said:
    @skicreative ;

Wow, TIL about street epistemology. What a great concept.

Yeah! We have the idea that most people change their minds on their own time, with plenty of thought. SE inspires and expedites thinking. 

Plus it's so fucking chill. And when you pair the right question with the right moment, it's a dopamine rush.
    gguenotFreddyA_Ron_Hubbard
  • rodjdanielsrodjdaniels Houston, TX
    I loved the first episode of OWT. I could relate to doing all the most challenging relationships things at one time. My wife and I are both previously divorced, I had a son from my first marriage, we got engaged, bought a house, did 5 weeks of renovations, then found out she was pregnant right after moving in, planned and had a wedding, and the baby...all in 15 calendar months.

Not to mention another baby on the way, due in March. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Needless to say...I have a lot of questions and weird family situations. Looking forward to sending them in and hearing advice from a voice I enjoy listening to.
    A_Ron_HubbardJaimieT
    I loved the first episode of OWT. I could relate to doing all the most challenging relationships things at one time. My wife and I are both previously divorced, I had a son from my first marriage, we got engaged, bought a house, did 5 weeks of renovations, then found out she was pregnant right after moving in, planned and had a wedding, and the baby...all in 15 calendar months.

Not to mention another baby on the way, due in March. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Needless to say...I have a lot of questions and weird family situations. Looking forward to sending them in and hearing advice from a voice I enjoy listening to.
    That sounds insane! I don't remember if we mentioned it on the pod, but Cecily and I call it "full on catastrophe living", after a book title we saw in a self help section. You sound extremely strong and squared away, but don't forget to take care of yourself!