The Mandalorian - Episode 1 SPOILERS

JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
edited November 2019 in Other TV
Have Jim & Aron (&/or Cecily) said how they are going to cover this? 

Is it getting its its own feed, or is it just going to be on Bald Move TV?

FWIW, I think I’m right where I want to be with this... not “lips crossed; arms pursed”... but I’m at least modestly skeptical. I am intrigued but will get my hopes up 0.0% until Disney gives me a reason to do so.
aeastin79gameofthrones

Comments

• Don't think they are planning on giving it full coverage - just BMTV if anything. I believe they discussed it during the last "Empire Business" podcast.
    JoshuaHeterTravisElisa
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    MrX said:
    Don't think they are planning on giving it full coverage - just BMTV if anything. I believe they discussed it during the last "Empire Business" podcast.
    That's a missed opportunity. This series is going to be big. 
    JoshuaHeterMofojones333gameofthrones
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited October 2019
    We're not so sure about that.  It's likely, but it's entirely possible it (and even D+ itself) will be a flop. But if it is a huge show, we'll just split our Mandalorian coverage of s1 off from BMTV into it's own feed and carry on with s2, and probably not miss a beat. There are too many damned potential big series on too many damn digital services, and Mandalorian, incredible as it may sound, ended up low show on the totem pole. 
    JoshuaHeterFlukesElisaDarmock&Jalad@TenagralitelimeGeorgegameofthrones
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I think Disney Plus will do well, at least out of the gate, given the sheer amount of content they will have. And I just found out that Verizon struck a deal so that if you have their unlimited plan, you get a year for free.
    FlukesFreddyrhcoopDarmock&Jalad@Tenagragameofthrones
  • I’m generally jaundiced about Star Wars and I’m going to check out the Mandalorian. 
    rhcoop
  • At least they're not dropping all the episodes at once - that in itself must increase the chances of getting quality Bald Move coverage!
    awookiee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I would be super excited except I still struggle with paying for yet another service. 
  • I hate the concept of disney+ and had no intention of getting it, but when they announced the hulu bundle they had me. I mean, I’m already paying for that and I’m sure my sister’s kids will appreciate the disney login.   

That said, Mandolorian and VisionWanda hold almost zero interest to me, and, even when I’m paying for the service, they will need to get some serious critical buzz before I care to check them out. 
  • So, the show is set soon after ROTJ. If it goes even 2 or 3 seasons, they’ll be *super* tempted to recast one of the OT characters to throw into the story somehow... Chewbacca was in Revenge of the Sith for Pete’s sake.

Would they do this, should they do this, if so who and how so?
  • So, the show is set soon after ROTJ. If it goes even 2 or 3 seasons, they’ll be *super* tempted to recast one of the OT characters to throw into the story somehow... Chewbacca was in Revenge of the Sith for Pete’s sake.

Sebastian Stan can easily be a younger Luke. 
    awookieeJoshuaHeter
  • Hatorian said:
    So, the show is set soon after ROTJ. If it goes even 2 or 3 seasons, they’ll be *super* tempted to recast one of the OT characters to throw into the story somehow... Chewbacca was in Revenge of the Sith for Pete’s sake.

Sebastian Stan can easily be a younger Luke. 
    I second this, I saw this suggested elsewhere and thought holy shit, he'd be perfect looks wise for Luke.  
    JoshuaHeter
  • What did we think of the first episode? I thought it was pretty decent, but way too short. The last few minutes of the episode were awesome, and felt like a space version of the shootout at the OK Corral. 

Some dodgy CGI and the regular problems any pilot episode has, but otherwise pretty good. I’m bizarrely invested in watching this dude get a full set of Mandalorian armor forged. It’s like watching someone do a side quest in a video game.
    FreddyJaimieTMurderbear
  • I liked it alot. Something I actually never truly took into consideration was pacing. I'm so used to Star Wars movies where the pace generally has to be kinetic, so the first 15 minutes or so I realized I had to adjust my brain to the "slower" pace that an television format permits. It was weird for Star Wars but real nice. I'm interested in where this goes next. 
    JoshuaHeterrkcrawf
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    That was fun.

I'm not in love with the subject matter, so I might not stay with it, but it seems strong. It's dumbed down a little for kids but there's nothing wrong with that... it just makes for uninspired dialogue.
    FlukesJoshuaHeterMurderbearAww_PHuuCk
    I liked it alot. Something I actually never truly took into consideration was pacing. I'm so used to Star Wars movies where the pace generally has to be kinetic, so the first 15 minutes or so I realized I had to adjust my brain to the "slower" pace that an television format permits. It was weird for Star Wars but real nice. I'm interested in where this goes next. 

I watched some Rebels so I got prepared for that. I know what you mean. 
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • One thing I really wasn’t digging in this first episode was the soundtrack. There was more than one time where I thought they had started playing music from the Rocky movies.
  • Light spoilers...

I liked it. You can really tell it was made by people who love (and *know*) the SW universe.. the world building is 10/10 (for me)... and that’s not inconsequential. A big part of the greatness of the OT was the world building.

We even got a Life Day reference... which frankly was a must for me.
    JaimieTMurderbearAww_PHuuCkMofojones333
  • Light spoilers...

So are you saying everyone should watch the SW Holiday Special to prepare? 

Because that's sounds like the plan of an evil genius. 
    JoshuaHeterA_Ron_HubbardTeresa from Concord
  • edited November 2019
    I’m so impressed it has Werner Herzog and Brian Possein in the first episode. Great casting!
    JoshuaHeterMurderbear
  • CapeGabe said:

So are you saying everyone should watch the SW Holiday Special to prepare? 

Because that's sounds like the plan of an evil genius. 
    I’m not saying you *have to* watch the Holiday Special, just that the entire first episode won’t make any sense if you don’t know it by heart.
    CapeGabeA_Ron_HubbardDarmock&Jalad@Tenagrarkcrawf
    Light spoilers...

I liked it. You can really tell it was made by people who love (and *know*) the SW universe.. the world building is 10/10 (for me)... and that’s not inconsequential. A big part of the greatness of the OT was the world building.

This is good. I was trying to verbalize what it was the *most* of, than any of the other new shit. It's the most likely to be a real event lol. But you hit it saying the world building is 10/10.
    JoshuaHeter
    One thing I really wasn’t digging in this first episode was the soundtrack. There was more than one time where I thought they had started playing music from the Rocky movies.

I actually dug a lot of the soundtrack.

I thought this was pretty solid. A nice start for the series. I liked the performances. This is going to sound weird but, I thought the titular Mandalorian walked kinda weird in some shots. I don't know, he wasn't exuded confidence or...I dunno. It stood out to me for some reason.

Should we just turn this into a spoiler thread or make a separate one? It's not a huge necessity but as more people watch, they'll want to openly talk about it.

"I have spoken."
    Aww_PHuuCkTeresa from Concord
  • @Murderbear

Good call on spoilers. I updated the thread title.
    Murderbear
    Okay, and that shootout scene with the IG unit was pretty damn cool. I like the look of him rotating and spinning around while blasting fools. And he was voiced by Taika Watiti! Even better!

So, I wonder if they got their bounty orders from different people. IG said he was to kill the young Yoda-thing (how have they never named what race/species he is by now?) but clearly the Mandalorian was told to bring him back alive. But if he died, it was understandable given the mission. And the doctor fellow was quite unhappy about it possibly being killed.
    JoshuaHeterDarmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • edited November 2019
    One thing I really wasn’t digging in this first episode was the soundtrack. There was more than one time where I thought they had started playing music from the Rocky movies.

I actually dug a lot of the soundtrack.

I thought this was pretty solid. A nice start for the series. I liked the performances. This is going to sound weird but, I thought the titular Mandalorian walked kinda weird in some shots. I don't know, he wasn't exuded confidence or...I dunno. It stood out to me for some reason.

Should we just turn this into a spoiler thread or make a separate one? It's not a huge necessity but as more people watch, they'll want to openly talk about it.

"I have spoken."
    I know exactly what you mean with the walk. He looked really uncomfortable in his gait, like he was walking a Star Wars-themed runway in heels for the first time.

I’m going to have to recalibrate my expectations for episode 2. Everyone talked about how this was going to be dArK aNd GriTtY bro and it was pretty much the same adorably goofy shit that Star Wars has been since the very beginning, especially the learning how to ride a horse scene. 

I expect I’ll be fully on board after Episode 2, and if the gods are good, my boy will have another pauldron.
    FlukesA_Ron_HubbardAww_PHuuCk
    Also, this isn't Mandalorian related but it's SW related so, close enough. People have noticed on Disney + that the infamous Han/Greedo scene in Episode 4 has been changed. Again. Apparently this was done by George before the Disney acquisition. Hilarious. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20961173/disney-plus-star-wars-han-solo-greedo-new-hope-edit-george-lucas
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • This reminded me of playing the old Star Wars RPG.  
    MurderbearJoshuaHeterDarmock&Jalad@TenagraMattastic
    Also, this isn't Mandalorian related but it's SW related so, close enough. People have noticed on Disney + that the infamous Han/Greedo scene in Episode 4 has been changed. Again. Apparently this was done by George before the Disney acquisition. Hilarious. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20961173/disney-plus-star-wars-han-solo-greedo-new-hope-edit-george-lucas

I wouldn't have noticed any change on my own. 

That said, I wish SNL or someone would do a series of changes of this scene.
    JoshuaHeterMurderbear
  • JaimieT said:

That said, I wish SNL or someone would do a series of changes of this scene.
    Unfortunately, some things are beyond parody. 
    Murderbear
  • At least Jon Favreau knows the correct way to fan service, don't stuff it in my face an say "see, see this? Member this? This is cool, right?" He just puts a ton of props that I see and say "Hey, isn't that...? That's cool."
    Aww_PHuuCk