The Mandalorian - Episode 1 SPOILERS

Comments

• really enjoyed it. The CGI didn’t bother me cuz of the practical effects of most creatures and scenes. 

I agree with a lot of the above that they did a great job of paying homage to the original without slamming it down your throat. 

Even the first piece of armor the Mando gets is the same shoulder that Luke hit Vader on in TESB. 

I kind of wish the IG unit was 88 and he was going to play a more permanent role in the series but regardless that scene was amazing. 
    Flukes
  • CapeGabe said:
    At least Jon Favreau knows the correct way to fan service, don't stuff it in my face an say "see, see this? Member this? This is cool, right?" He just puts a ton of props that I see and say "Hey, isn't that...? That's cool."
    Agreed. This is something the spin off films thus far have clumsily handled. As much as I love Rogue One, still cringe a little at the C-3P0 cameo and the run in with the ANH cantina drunks. And don't get me started with the fan service in Solo, so god awful. 
    CapeGabeRyanReesemanrkcrawf
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I thought it was a great time and felt very Star Wars to me. I only got a 4K TV a few months ago, so the effects didn't bother me because everything looks a little janky to me still. :D

I wonder if they had to get Lucas's blessing to add a Yoda's race character.

I dig the conceit, but it's a damn shame to hide Pedro Pascal's face.
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • I quite enjoyed the episode. Things I loved:

Werner and Carl
    IG Unit
    The non-Star Wars-y music

One thing I hated:
    A mini carbonite factory on his ship. Like... It takes something that Darth Vader and Boba Fett improvised in ESB and tries to make it something that Mando bounty hunters have always been doing.
    RyanReesemanCapeGabeDarmock&Jalad@Tenagrarkcrawf
  • CapeGabe said:
    At least Jon Favreau knows the correct way to fan service, don't stuff it in my face an say "see, see this? Member this? This is cool, right?" He just puts a ton of props that I see and say "Hey, isn't that...? That's cool."
    Agreed. This is something the spin off films thus far have clumsily handled. As much as I love Rogue One, still cringe a little at the C-3P0 cameo and the run in with the ANH cantina drunks. And don't get me started with the fan service in Solo, so god awful. 
    Their obsession with keeping this universe as small as possible is so frustrating to me. 

I hope they make a hard pivot to stuff we’ve never seen before after IX, and I’m pretty excited for those announcements.
  • One thing I hated:
    A mini carbonite factory on his ship. Like... It takes something that Darth Vader and Boba Fett improvised in ESB and tries to make it something that Mando bounty hunters have always been doing.
    I felt the same when I first saw it but I think it does make sense that freezing Han Solo in carbonite would be something that would get around and others would see the use for copying the practice. I mean he was on display at Jabba's palace specifically to show him off. 
    rkcrawf
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hatorian said:
    really enjoyed it. The CGI didn’t bother me cuz of the practical effects of most creatures and scenes. 

I agree with a lot of the above that they did a great job of paying homage to the original without slamming it down your throat. 

Even the first piece of armor the Mando gets is the same shoulder that Luke hit Vader on in TESB. 

I kind of wish the IG unit was 88 and he was going to play a more permanent role in the series but regardless that scene was amazing. 
    They sure made it sound like Taika Waititi was going to have a prominent role throughout the series. He could very well be playing an angry IG-88 for the rest of the series.
    Hatorian
    Flukes said:
    I thought it was a great time and felt very Star Wars to me. I only got a 4K TV a few months ago, so the effects didn't bother me because everything looks a little janky to me still. :D

Does it look almost too real when you're watching 4k stuff? Pretty much all 4k TVs have some sort of motion smoothing turned on by default. It's called something different on every brand, but if you Google "soap opera effect" and your TV, you should be able to find what settings to turn off.

It took me months as well to realize that's not how 4k was actually supposed to look, and it made a big difference when I switched the smoothing off.
    FlukesMurderbearCory
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Hunkulese said:
    Flukes said:

Does it look almost too real when you're watching 4k stuff? Pretty much all 4k TVs have some sort of motion smoothing turned on by default. It's called something different on every brand, but if you Google "soap opera effect" and your TV, you should be able to find what settings to turn off.

It took me months as well to realize that's not how 4k was actually supposed to look, and it made a big difference when I switched the smoothing off.
    It does. It reminds me of when I saw one of the Hobbit movies at 48FPS. I'll see if I can find that setting. Thanks!
    rkcrawf
  • Was pleasantly surprised to see Dave Filoni directing, he's by far may favorite person in Lucasfilm and IMO has the ability to save Star Wars if ever given the chance (if you're of the opinion it needs saving). I definitely see him as the potential Kevin Feige of that side of the House of Mouse.

This first episode actually has a very similar feel plot-wise to the Clone Wars animated movie that was a precursor to the animated show (but not the 2003 version, the 2008 version, so much Clone War...) and that was Dave Filoni's brainchild. In the animated movie we get the first appearance of Ahsoka meeting with Anakin, and they are, surprise surprise, tasked with rescuing a baby before bounty hunters and the separatists can get to him and kill the baby to frame the Jedi. In that case it's actually a Hutt baby instead of a 'Yoda' baby.

Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Hunkulese said:
    Flukes said:

Yes, this is a thing ALL TV owners should know about, not just the folks with 4K sets. Especially if you ever play video games on your television. Turn off all of that MotionSense or whatever else your TV does to try and "fix" your picture. It's almost way worse and will muck it up and make your picture more blurry or unnatural. Anything you are watching or playing, has probably already been optimized for your viewing pleasure without your TV's help.
    Flukes
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Kevin Feige is Kevin Feige now. :)
    rkcrawf
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited November 2019
    JaimieT said:
    Kevin Feige is Kevin Feige now. :)

Maybe, but I'll take their word for it for now that he just wants to do a Star Wars 'side project' as far as creating content.

They could certainly hand him the reigns to the whole thing, which they kind of did in his new position, but definitely see Dave Filoni as the 'boots on the ground' guy who can make Star Wars work again. 
    Well if Kevin Feige is only doing a side project he is definitely not Kevin Feige then. ;)
  • There are a million ways to frame this issue, so I’ll just put it out there in the most in-your-face way possible to get at the heart of the matter...

Suppose the “baby” at the end of Episode 1 is the offspring of Yoda (the timeline checks out)...

Your thoughts?
  • There are a million ways to frame this issue, so I’ll just put it out there in the most in-your-face way possible to get at the heart of the matter...

Suppose the “baby” at the end of Episode 1 is the offspring of Yoda (the timeline checks out)...

Your thoughts?
    That sounds exactly like something that Star Wars would do.

Your thoughts?

I thought the Jedi were forbidden to get busy? Yoda the oathbreaker?

I saw on a video that 50 years before is Anakin's birthday give or take a year so there are a couple of ways they can go with this. Maybe this is the one that was supposed to restore balance to the force. Even do a double bluff and has nothing to do with either.

It will be interesting where they go with this. I'm guessing it is going to be man on the lam with baby story. That is not my favorite storyline but I am extremely encouraged by this first episode.
    CapeGabe said:
    There are a million ways to frame this issue, so I’ll just put it out there in the most in-your-face way possible to get at the heart of the matter...

Your thoughts?

I'm just going to assume Yodas reproduce like mogwai.
  • Are they about to do the Star Wars version of the Baby Cart Assassin?

MurderbearDarmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • I hope the IG unit comes back because it could make for a funny running gag of it threatening to self-destruct.

Mandalorian: Well, I guess we're going to have to walk back....

IG 88: Self-destruct sequence initiated....
    awookieeFlukes
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 2019
    Kevin Feige has had very little to nothing to do with this series. He wasn’t announced until after the first season was shot. Unless there was background shanigans we didn’t see or were told of. He wasn’t even in the credits. 

Without being said, Man Jon faveru started the MCU with Iron Man. If he and feige could replicate their work we are set for the next ten years of great Star Wars content. 

JaimieT
  • drale03 said:
    This reminded me of playing the old Star Wars RPG.  

I miss SW Galaxies. They desperately need a new MMO to go with this new content!

Flukes
  • I finally got the time to sit down and watch the first episode last night and it did not disappoint.  I do wish it were longer but I'm already completely on board with this.  I did home theater installs previously and 2nd thing almost every installer did was go into the settings and turn whatever motion smoothing technology the TV has to off so whoever first brought that up, good call out.  I really hope there are either more IG units or that specific one gets repaired because that was both visually awesome seeing it spin and shoot and as @Dummy said the "self destruct sequence initiated" was hilarious and would make for an amazing running gag throughout the series.  
    DummyFlukes
  • Yeah I need an open-world (galaxy) RPG Star Wars game in my life.
    Murderbear
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited November 2019
     I feel this was a very solid first episode. I love that this show both felt very much like Star Wars while feeling like something entirely new. The music style was fantastic and I enjoyed the way Pedro Pascal carried himself as a Mandalorian. I think I'm going to enjoy seeing the underbelly of the Star Wars universe. I was a bit worried that this would turn in to a buddy cop show with the Mandalorian and the Bounty droid so I was relieved when that didn't happen. Looking forward to more 
  • CapeGabe said:

Clone?

CapeGabe said:

It will be interesting where they go with this. I'm guessing it is going to be man on the lam with baby story. That is not my favorite storyline but I am extremely encouraged by this first episode.

I'm thinking a Star Wars mashup of Raising Arizona and Children of Men could be super fun.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, I hope there’s more of the IG units....I thought it was a strong start, though they could have had a little more iconic sounding music for the Mandalorian if they were going for The Man with No Name theme at the cantina. 
    awookiee
  • @CapeGabe @MrX

For better or worse... George Lucas has actually weighed in on this: Jedi aren’t allowed to have attachments...

... but they are allowed to have sex.

So, Yoda couldn’t get married, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t down to clown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1989505.stm
    awookieeCapeGabeTeresa from ConcordDarmock&Jalad@Tenagraksa1001
  • @CapeGabe @MrX

For better or worse... George Lucas has actually weighed in on this: Jedi aren’t allowed to have attachments...

... but they are allowed to have sex.

So, Yoda couldn’t get married, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t down to clown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1989505.stm

Now there no doubt in me that there has to a Team America: World Police like puppet sex flashback between Yoda and Yaddle this season.

JoshuaHeterDarmock&Jalad@Tenagra
    I can see them going the direction of Yoda being able to reproduce asexually. It'll be an egg. Keep it friendly for the kids. 
    JoshuaHeterDarmock&Jalad@Tenagra