407 Proxy Authentication Required

2»

Comments

• adobo1148 said:
    Something like a case molestation is normally baked into a character from the beginning. Like Elliot, we have nothing but wonderful memories of our Mr Alderson. The shock his character goes through is matched only by the shock the audience is experiencing, as if we were receiving the news ourselves.  Again it cannot be overstated how important Rami Malek’s performance is to selling the shock, disbelief, and horrific realization of this reveal. 
    It's quite literally baked in from the very first scene of the very first episode and completely re-contextualizes many previous scenes. Heres a non-complete list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/dy39dl/407_spoilers_something_big_happened_here_is_a/
    ksa1001
  • What I meant was we as the audience did not know about the molestation until the character learned of it.  Conventionally movies or TV shows bake this into a character from the beginning and as the character evolves, we would look back on this fact as if ok he was sexually abused, that makes sense. Esmail has  done something truly audacious by making the audience experience the reveal with the character, thereby forcing us to retcon the whole series and Elliot having to completely reevaluate his relationship with his father. 
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    What I meant was we as the audience did not know about the molestation until the character learned of it.  Conventionally movies or TV shows bake this into a character from the beginning and as the character evolves, we would look back on this fact as if ok he was sexually abused, that makes sense. Esmail has  done something truly audacious by making the audience experience the reveal with the character, thereby forcing us to retcon the whole series and Elliot having to completely reevaluate his relationship with his father. 
    ahhhhh, gotcha, gotcha. that's actually a fantastic point. I remember Aron had a saying back during the final run of BrBa. The best TV is shocking/entertaining in the moment, but perfectly logical and fitting in hindsight..or something like that....I have spent most of the day rewatching parts of and full episodes of S1-3 of Mr. Robot...So many things that seemed slightly out of place/odd make complete sense now. I don't think the 'reveal' of the 3rd personality is as important as we may have though just an episode ago. I bet the 3rd is some form of childhood Elliot and the "big reveal" that Sam was talking about is in fact this reveal because it absolutely does flip the entire show.
  • Def thinking of Laurie from Watchmen when she made her “masks” comment last week. 

I think Slater should be back bc it’s a manifestation of his ideal father...not his real father.

Two things didn’t pass the sniff test on first watch:
    1. Vera being this interested in Eliot’s well-being in Act V. It was so weird I kept asking myself if Vera could be Eliot’s third persona, but I’m glad that isn’t the case. I don’t know what to make of it now. 
    2. Either Eliot or Robot should have been a bit more motivated to move this along to get back to the White Rose stuff. It pops up occasionally, but it didn’t feel like the guy who was ready to burn anyone to get this hack done. They did establish he felt remorse for Krista, but it was still a surprise that it went this far. 

Hoping the internet rewatches S1 for me to look for hints about the dad. I mostly remember the scene in the store where the “customer” rips off the dad. There should be hints here and there. 

• The other thing I have seen most recently on the webs is that the vibe of Acts correspond to the 5 stages of grief in the Kubler Ross model. But there is debate as it was modified to be 7. But as art, matching it up thematically with 5 is still pretty brilliant. 
  • edited November 2019
    I would have also liked white rose to show up comforting Eliot and accepting him into the deus group, the Vera stuff being some rite of passage.
    Since Eliot is emotionally vulnerable right know I really want to see if white rose can reel him in for her project. Looking forward to the no more pain let's go into the nexus speech. :-)
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited November 2019
    I don't believe Elliot's father molested Elliot. It seems too predictable and cliche. I feel like Krysta and Mr. Robot put on a show to distract Elliot, so they could undermine Vera and get an opening to kill him
    I think you're in denial. That is way to heavy of a reveal to just sweep sway the next scene. Already people are combing the previous seasons for context, the one clip of young Elliot and his dad driving in the car, and his dad saying "don't tell your mom, it will be just our little secret" is particularly ominous.

Was looking forward to Vera being uterly steamrolled by Deus group/dark army when all their money showed up in his account, guess that won't happen...
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2019
    I haven't seen anyone talking about the frame skips (EDIT: I don't think that's called a jump cut) during and after the therapy session, Eliot's still losing time before he finds out the truth, Mr. Robot isn't in control, so the third alter must be present.  

In retrospect, the reveal seems well set up given the importance the window event has had throughout the seasons and real life dissociative identity disorder.  I'm not sure we have the whole truth yet, however.

I wonder if this changes anything about Eliot's relationship with his mom.  
    Elisa
  • edited November 2019
    I haven't seen anyone talking about the jump cuts during and after the therapy session, Eliot's still losing time before he finds out the truth, Mr. Robot isn't in control, so the third alter must be present.  

In retrospect, the reveal seems well set up given the importance the window event has had throughout the seasons and real life dissociative identity disorder.  I'm not sure we have the whole truth yet, however.

I wonder if this changes anything about Eliot's relationship with his mom.  
    I was thinking the same thing, but at this juncture in the show, his relationship with his mom wasn’t  relevant to the show, so why would it need reevaluating? He was probably abused by both parents, he’s only now realizing the abuse of his father. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I keep thinking the third personality is Elliot as his idealiZed self as a young kid. You know the one we saw with his Mom earlier this season.  Maybe he’s trying to get back his childhood. I don’t know just guessing here. 
  • I love when "Sam Elliot" gets mentioned on the podcast.  Long live A.Ron's word soup ways.

DummypodcartfanDoubleA_RonElisarkcrawfCecilyawookiee
  • I just re-watched the episode and it’s every bit as compelling as the first viewing. I do slightly agree with Aron that Vera’s presence throws off the flow during the “therapy”, but the performances MORE than make up for that choice. 

Elisa
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited November 2019
    Does Whiterose "know"... and does that have anything to do with why s/he insisted that s/he's on the same side as Elliot a couple episodes ago?
  • I fell off half way through season 2 and just never picked it back up but so many people were talking about this episode I decided to watch it. Surprisingly I wasn’t very lost for being 2 Seasons behind and all I gotta say is....

• Actually, it’s kind of an indictment of the show that 2 seasons later not that much has changed about Eliot’s situation. 

Hatorian said:
    I fell off half way through season 2 and just never picked it back up but so many people were talking about this episode I decided to watch it. Surprisingly I wasn’t very lost for being 2 Seasons behind and all I gotta say is....

• Thats true but the elapsed time in the Mr Robot universe has only been 7-8 months. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It’s mental illness. It just doesn’t go away. 
    rkcrawf