MR ROBOT FINALE 4.12, 4.13

Comments

• still thinking about the finale (really enjoyed the show, overall), but, was anyone else reminded of this (:p) ?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFUjiHBfIiw
  • edited December 2019
    The first hour was very compelling, the 2nd hour was a little rough given all that was to be resolved. Imo Esmail wrote himself into a corner with Elliot killing Felliot. Seems that closed so many possibilities for where the story could have gone and still reach the same conclusion. 

I was fully prepared to not have all my questions answered. The finale gave me just enough emotional closure with Elliot, while leaving enough loose ends for the mythos to continue. If there’s one thing the internet loves it’s a mythology to speculate or bitch  over. Bravo Sam, now........Homecoming S2 please.
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    All the cars are white? Really?
    Not only were there a ton of white cars, but most of them were Teslas.  I thought it was the same pre-2016 Model S (front end differs on 2012-2016).  However, there was a post 2016 Model S in a couple shots and a Model 3 in the scene by the parking lot in front of his apartment when he went to get his black Escalade.  All Teslas, all white.  Were those Jim's?
    adobo1148Elisarkcrawf
  • adobo1148 said:
    The first hour was very compelling, the 2nd hour was a little rough given all that was to be resolved. Imo Esmail wrote himself into a corner with Elliot killing Felliot. Seems that closed so many possibilities for where the story could have gone and still reach the same conclusion. 

I was fully prepared to not have all my questions answered. The finale gave me just enough emotional closure with Elliot, while leaving enough loose ends for the mythos to continue. If there’s one thing the internet loves it’s a mythology to speculate or bitch  over. Bravo Sam, now........Homecoming S2 please.
    Given that Flliot was stuck in a recursive loop and was unkillable thus would return at the next iteration of the loop, what types of storylines did you feel were closed off from this decision. (Genuinely Curious btw)
  • If anyone is still confused by the minutae of the finale, check out this post. https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/eens3q/mr_robot_finale_explanation_for_those_confused/
    Dummyrkcrawf
  • I don't know why but Dom showing up as a patrol officer just completely took me out of the episode. 
  • Elliot Alterson? 
  • adobo1148 said:

Given that Flliot was stuck in a recursive loop and was unkillable thus would return at the next iteration of the loop, what types of storylines did you feel were closed off from this decision. (Genuinely Curious btw)
    I guess I was initially confused by Elliot killing Felliot, but as you reminded me of the recursive loop, it makes more sense. I have to remind myself the Mastermind constructed this F universe for the real Elliot. The mention of the Mastermind identity does make me think of when we as the audience see the Mastermind throughout the series. Its a little frustrating introducing the concept of a Mastermind this late. Did Mr Robot interact with the Mastermind when we see Elliot spike Olivia’s coffee?
  • edited December 2019
    In S2, Was Elliot being in prison the work of the Mastermind, and every time we heard Mr Robot telling Elliot that control is an illusion, Mr Robot was in fact talking to the Mastermind?
  • Rewatching season 1 and episode 4 makes so much sense now.

• I wrote the boys an email about this very thing, but I wanted to share my thoughts here as well.  Did anyone else feel like Mastermind was very much like Joy of "Inside Out"?  Not quite the same in that Joy wasn't an outright personality, but in that in her attempt to make Riley happy, she hijacked her emotional stability.  She was very much both the villain and the protagonist, much like Mastermind is here.

Loved the ending, loved that it made me think of my favorite Pixar film, and can't wait for a 4k bluray rewatch.
  • Man, what a ride. Definitely going to end up in my top 5 series. There is so much to contemplate here. One of the few shows where repeat viewings will reveal  more layers. 

Im a little disappointed we didn't find out more about Whiterose's machine, but at the same time I'm a little relieved. I'm not sure how more details would have been satisfying. 

I'm glad that the Mastermind didn't give up control easily, his struggle to survive at all costs is such a real portrayal of a human. Even when confronted with the reality the denial and will to survive mirrored his trying to kill Elliot inside the loop. It was all about him and his experience with full control was something he couldn't fathom relinquishing. Even when it was based on his own lie to himself. 

The final minutes were just incredible. Darlene really nailed those last emotional lines of the show. I can't wait to experience it all again. 

Elisa
  • Sam Esmail's name has been thrown around the Briarpatch commercials like crazy.  Another USA show and I'll be watching it.  Looks like he's executive producer of that and Andy Greenwald is the creator.   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8289758/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_3
    Elisa
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Hunkulese said:
    One minor complaint is we never found out what Whiterose's machine did.

Also, how often was real Elliott awake? Mr. Robot and Darlene made it seem like the Mastermind had him stuck in the loop for pretty much the entirety of the series, but who was the one that learned about Vera, which started the whole additional personality questions.

I think it says a lot about my state of mind that my three favourite shows from the 10s were The Leftovers, Mr. Robot, and Bojack.
    Mr. Robot mentioned that The Mastermind Elliot was in that dream loop once when he was going through morphine withdrawals so maybe real Elliot came out during that time frame? But I took it as since the beginning of the series we never really saw real Elliot and I guess technically never did. I think you are right and we are supposed to assume he came out with Vera for some reason but I don't think that was ever explained why.
    rkcrawf
  • edited December 2019
    Here's a question for everybody that I don't think ever got answered.  What the hell did Whiterose show Angela in that same room Elliot was in before the reactor blew up?  After she left that room she was clearly a different person.  The part that I remember specifically is after the Dark Army took out all the E Corp buildings and Angela was just sitting there rewinding the TV over and over and over saying look everybody's fine.  I don't really think there is an answer to this but if there is or you have any ideas of what Whiterose showed her please enlighten me. 

Here's another question that really doesn't matter but I'm curious to hear what others think.  To make things more simple we've got Elliot, Mr. Robot, and the Mastermind.  Is Mr. Robot only a created personality for the Mastermind or does Elliot see/talk to him as well?  If so then he's a split personality of a split personality right?
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    awookiee said:
    Here's a question for everybody that I don't think ever got answered.  What the hell did Whiterose show Angela in that same room Elliot was in before the reactor blew up?  After she left that room she was clearly a different person.  The part that I remember specifically is after the Dark Army took out all the E Corp buildings and Angela was just sitting there rewinding the TV over and over and over saying look everybody's fine.  I don't really think there is an answer to this but if there is or you have any ideas of what Whiterose showed her please enlighten me. 

Here's another question that really doesn't matter but I'm curious to hear what others think.  To make things more simple we've got Elliot, Mr. Robot, and the Mastermind.  Is Mr. Robot only a created personality for the Mastermind or does Elliot see/talk to him as well?  If so then he's a split personality of a split personality right?
    Yea that Angela thing never really got answered. I mean as far as we know Whiterose's machine never really worked. So maybe some kind of mind altering/control/hallucination thing that showed Angela what it could look like but never actually happened? I don't know, could be a number of things.

And I believe Mr. Robot is a distinct personality of the real Elliot as he was created as the type of father/protector the young Elliot never had. And I think we see that when young Elliot was at the movies when he was sitting alone wearing the Mr Robot jacket saying "shh, the movie is about to start" that was supposed to be Mr. Robot. And The Mastermind I think was created right around the time or a bit earlier at the time the show started. 
    awookieeElisarkcrawf
  • Just to be clear, Mastermind Elliot is rage Elliot?
    rkcrawf
  • kuman07 said:
    awookiee said:

Yea that Angela thing never really got answered. I mean as far as we know Whiterose's machine never really worked. So maybe some kind of mind altering/control/hallucination thing that showed Angela what it could look like but never actually happened? I don't know, could be a number of things.

And I believe Mr. Robot is a distinct personality of the real Elliot as he was created as the type of father/protector the young Elliot never had. And I think we see that when young Elliot was at the movies when he was sitting alone wearing the Mr Robot jacket saying "shh, the movie is about to start" that was supposed to be Mr. Robot. And The Mastermind I think was created right around the time or a bit earlier at the time the show started. 
    @adobo1148 yes I meant it as Mastermind Elliot is Rage Elliot.  And I blanked and forgot when I was writing this that the Mr. Robot persona was created when he was a kid so clearly he's a creation of the actual Elliot and not Mastermind Elliot.
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Just to be clear, Mastermind Elliot is rage Elliot?

When one of his impulses when meeting his gentler, kinder self is to murder that self, I'd say that makes him rage Elliot  :)

I wasn't expecting Whiterose's story to be wrapped up at the moment she had killed herself, but watching Elliot descend into some kind of shattered madness for two hours was worth it.

Immediately noticed all the white vehicles and Tesla's. The black SUV that was his car, was the that the one he woke up in a couple seasons back after losing time for a few days? Might have to go back and look. My first thought was this scenario was going to end up with him waking up in that vehicle again with this episode(s) having been the missing days and resetting his loop (when literal time travel was still on the table). Or is the implication that missing time was a few days when Real Elliot had retaken control in the past? We know Real Elliot does come out from time to time since he was the one that told Darlene that Vera was back I think, right?

When do we get the baldmove re-watch podcast with new analysis and feedback for each episode?  :)
    Elisablacksunrise7
  • I think the guys said next Monday. They’ll need that long to unpack this mind fuck.
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    I think the guys said next Monday. They’ll need that long to unpack this mind fuck.

I mean the RE-watch podcast, where we all start over at S01E01 and go through it again week by week....  :)
    rkcrawfElisa
  • ‘You didn’t commit to the sacred pact you formed.’ -Mr. Robot to Mastermind Elliot; S1E2 when Elliot falls off the pier. 

So even then, Robot was trying to save the real Elliot by knocking the Mastermind offline,
    Elisa

• redlancer said:
    adobo1148 said:
    I think the guys said next Monday. They’ll need that long to unpack this mind fuck.

I mean the RE-watch podcast, where we all start over at S01E01 and go through it again week by week....  :)
    I’m on Ep3 now of S1. I do wish they had a S1 podcast, but I know they don’t have the time. 
  • edited December 2019
    @adobo1148 We are almost always seeing Mastermind through the entire series. For example, when he falls off the pier, we don’t see him ask for Shayla or Krista. He says he doesn’t remember doing it. That blank time is the real Elliot asking for them. Mastermind wouldn’t ask for help, which is why he doesn’t remember.

i suspect there are a few times when Elliot really pops out on camera, likely with Darlene and Angela. I think if we look for times when Elliot appears to be happy or vulnerable to others, we’re seeing Elliot.

and yes, MM is Ragelliot. Think of it like Batman’s dark side or what Yoda says...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. And the other saying, depression is rage turned inward. 
    Elisa
  • redlancer said:
    adobo1148 said:

That I would like very much
    rkcrawfElisablacksunrise7
  • F me. It is all right there. The dinner party in S1. Elliot is getting along and happy in his “maze.” Then the TV broadcast happens with the Washington Township scandal. He leaves, has a “flashback” of his mother saying his dad was weak and that he was weak. A bus goes in front of them, and Mastermind reappears while the voiceover says “the bug forces the software to adapt.”

Elisablacksunrise7
  • Has it been disclosed whether slater and rami knew everything from the beginning ? Or when they were told?
  • Zsa004 said:
    Has it been disclosed whether slater and rami knew everything from the beginning ? Or when they were told?

I think they're both listed with producer credits for at least the last 2-3 seasons, so I imagine would have been in the loop on most of the plot points