Most Underrated Actors/Actresses

Pretty straightforward. An actor you love and think is great/amazing but doesn’t get any love. I’m gonna keep mine to One but feel free to list out as many as you want. 

1. Ben Foster: he’s amazing in everything he does. 3:10 to Yuma, alpha dog, hell or high water, etc. The dude is one of the best actors in the business and gets no love. Seriously talented dude

FreddyDeeken hale

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Eddie Marsan. He’s probably my favourite actor, he’s in tons of things, and he is phenomenally good at any kind of role. I will watch pretty much anything he is in. 

Mark Bonnar. He’s great at both comedy (Catastrophe) and drama (he was devastating in Unforgotten). He’s another one who turns up in everything - well, everything I watch, which is mostly British. 

A year or two ago I’d have said Jodie Comer, but she’s exploded now and good on her. 

I 100% agree on Ben Foster. He is mesmerising to watch. 
    Hatorian
  • AlexAlex Seattle
    Ben Mendelsohn. He was a main villain in Rouge One but he works a lot and is usually great. Was really good in Mississippi Grind and Killing Them Softly.
    DeeHatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Alex He’s a national treasure here in Oz, definitely not under-rated at home. :-)
    HatorianElisa
  • J. K Simmons. Watch Whiplash and Counterpart and his acting is amazing. One of my favorite actors.
    HatorianNoelElisa
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    My man Kevin Corrigan.
    Plays a great straight man villain with solid comedic timing. Surprised he hasn't shown up in any HBO shows yet; he's perfect for them.
    DeeNoelHatorian
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Ben Foster!!!!!! Always thought he was such an underutilized actor.
    Hatorian
  • Freddy said:
    My man Kevin Corrigan.
    Plays a great straight man villain with solid comedic timing. Surprised he hasn't shown up in any HBO shows yet; he's perfect for them.

Yes! That guy's got a good recurring role on Community, but every time I see him I think it's Mark Ruffalo.
  • I mentioned him in another thread but I'm a huge fan of Garret Dillahunt.  It took me until maybe my third rewatch of Deadwood to even realize that it's him playing two vastly different major characters, and maybe I'm just dumb but I really think it's one of the most remarkable jobs I've seen done on a tv show.
    fidozrkcrawf
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Yvonne Strahovski from The Handmaid's Tale.  Granted, I've only ever seen her in this show but she has a decently sized filmography - Dexter, Chuck, and 24: Live Another Day are the most recognizable to me.  Her portrayal of Serena
    Waterford though is undeniably great though, probably the standout role of her career.

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 5
    Edit: double post
  • Carrie Coon.
    CapeGabehisdudeness915HatorianNoelUnderwood
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 5
    Warning: reality

All the women we forget about because they're no longer traditionally pretty enough to be given traditionally feminine roles. (I find these lists often involve men.)
    hisdudeness915
  • edited January 6
    Dang, Jamie's thrown me for a loop here because when I rack my brain I'm ashamed to admit that there aren't very many names of "character actresses" that spring to mind the way they do for some fairly obscure male actors, and I don't have a good reason for that.  I blame myself for being less attentive to the actresses that I do take note of...i.e. I can recall specific faces/roles that stood out but don't know the actesses' names.  But I also wonder the extent to which it is a systemic problem, as Jamie mentioned perhaps there are just less minor, but quality, roles available to women?   I might just be trying to let myself off the hook for phallocentrism.

As far as underrated actresses goes, I would like to mention Anna Gunn because I've long thought that it can't be a coincidence how she plays a major role in two of the best television series of all time (and yes, I'm talking about Deadwood again, lol, because it's great and she's brilliant in it).  I think she deserves more credit for that (I mean, credit beyond the two individual Emmy's, haha).
    JaimieT
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 6
    JaimieT said:
    Warning: reality

All the women we forget about because they're no longer traditionally pretty enough to be given traditionally feminine roles. (I find these lists often involve men.)
    I can think of a few.

Laurie Metcalf. Jackie from Roseanne is a great actress. She did Uncle Buck and Ton of other roles. Lots of cartoons. 

Sigourney Weaver. The first true female hero. 

Regina King. Never got the A star love but was one of HBOs greatest actresses of the 2000s
    NoelElisaDeeJaimieTken hale
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Clair Rushbrook
    Ruth Negga
    Sharon Rooney
    Suranne Jones
    Sarah Parish
    Wunmi Mosaku
    Kerry Fox
    Natasha Little 
    Linda Cardellini
    Martha Plimpton
    Sharon Small
    Rosie Cavaliero
    Sheridan Smith
    Michaela Cole

ElisaHatorianJaimieT
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Diego Luna
    Michael Peña

Those are my guys. I feel like they’re both properly rated, I just always automatically pull for my fellow Mexican/Mexican-American men.
    DeeElisaHatorianJaimieT
  • Joan cusak is another I would add. Her work in Shameless is superb and she has a lot of great roles in movies like Adams Family
    DeeJaimieTNoel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Don't hold back next time @Dee! :D I haven't heard of most of those. I gotta get busy.
    Dee
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited January 6
    Parker posey from Party Girl and Waiting For Guffman to Lost In Space she’s always interesting.

her two or so episodes on Louie were great.

steals every Chris Guest movie. Except Eugene Leavy in Mighty Wind.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 6
    JaimieT said:
    Don't hold back next time @Dee! :D I haven't heard of most of those. I gotta get busy.
    Most of them are British as that’s most of the TV I watch. There are so many incredibly good British actors and actresses just plugging away on BBC and ITV dramas. But they look like ordinary people so they’re never gonna get Hollywood big and start raking in awards.

You’re right though - men always dominate these lists. I did it myself with my first response. 
    JaimieT
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Molly Parker
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Molly Shannon! 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Kathy Bates
    Zsa004
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 7
    Double post
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Judy Greer is one I always thought would have been a fun rom com lead, but she’s usually relegated to the friend or the bitchy office worker or whatever. She’s a really good actress and she has a charming goofiness.
    ken hale
  • Aubrey Plaza surprised me in all 3 seasons of Legion, s1 she was outstanding. Before Legion I knew her from Parks and Rec and thought she was mildly funny, so I was blown away from the 1st season of Legion. Wish the series was as good as her acting but seems I’m more disappointed with shows than mind blown these days.
    Noel
  • kingbee67 said:
    Parker posey from Party Girl and Waiting For Guffman to Lost In Space she’s always interesting.

her two or so episodes on Louie were great.

steals every Chris Guest movie. Except Eugene Leavy in Mighty Wind.

Yes! I just rushed in here because as I was thinking about how I gotta watch season 2 of Lost in Space and Parker Posey was in my mind but you already gave her the shout-out!  I only really know her from ... ahem... Blade 3.  Superman Returns.  And Lost in Space (which is fantastic).  Blade 3 sucks but she's really one of my favorite parts of Superman Returns, and I absolutely love that movie.  I really need to rewatch those Christopher Guest movies I didn't even remember she was in them!
  • Ok this isn't really the right thread to put this in maybe but if you google "who has the most credits on imdb" it's kind of a weird list.
  • Stephen Graham

Snatch
    The Irishman
    Boardwalk Empire
    Gangs of New York

To name a few...Always great, usually very different roles. 
    DeeFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @rkcrawf Stephen Graham was amazing in Boardwalk Empire. When he did scenes with Al’s son it was heartbreaking. 

He’s also great in British shows - he’s one of those guys who shows up in everything. Particularly good in an arc in Line of Duty (awesome show - everyone should watch it), a cop in Little Boy Blue (a true story about a little boy who died after being caught in gun crossfire), and as a skinhead in This Is England. 
    rkcrawfFreddy