My Star Wars Re-Watch...Please, Join in!

Comments

• Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

Pre-watch Impression: Of the three original films, this is the one that I've seen the least number of times...but I've still seen it a dozen+ times.  I haven't watched it since it came out on VHS so it's also the Star Wars movie that has been the longest since I've last seen it.  As a kid I loved this movie.  I was 9 or 10 when it came out, and I really felt like this movie was aimed right at me when it came out.  Most people hated the Ewoks, but to a kid they were the best thing ever...they were essentially child-like characters that a kid in the audience could really relate to - it was a way for us to see ourselves in the movie.  I got older and jaded like everyone else, but I'm going to try to watch this with the wide-eyed optimism that I had as a kid.   Pre-watch rating: 8/10
    Post-watch Impression:  I was pretty confident that I was going to like this, but it held up better than I expected and I loved it.  I think a lot of the complaints about this movie (most of which are Ewok based!) get hung up on little nit-picky things and the true power of the story gets lost.  Anakin was pulled to the dark side because he wanted to save his wife.  He got pulled back to the good side because he wanted to save his son.  That's great.

One of the themes in the entire series is that technology represents a lack of humanity.  Vader is evil because he's more machine than man, Luke blows up the Death Star when he turns off his targeting computer and trusts his instincts.  In both the prequels and this series of films, the Jedi teach their students to suppress their feelings and emotions.  That disconnect leads to their downfall...the Jedi 'taught' the humanity out of their students, made them more robotic - and that's bad.  

In the final battle with Vader, Luke gives in to his emotions and rages (a pull to the dark side) but when he cuts of Vader's hand - he's reminded of his own hand.  He stops attacking, looks at his own robotic hand, is reminded of his lack of humanity...he turns his lightsabre off and throws it away.  This is the Star Wars Kobayashi Maru.  If Luke kills Vader, the Emperor wins.  If Luke doesn't kill Vader, he'll be killed.  But Luke finds a way out.  He stops fighting, and simply chooses to believe in his dad - an ultimate expression of humanity.  It's in that moment that he declares himself a Jedi because that's when he understands Yoda's lessons ("you won't need your weapons" and "wars don't make great warriors").  By believing in his father, he neither has to fight or be killed.  He's saved by his faith in his father.  Luke gives Vader an opportunity to redeem himself and then surrenders his fate to whatever Vader does.

This movie was brilliant.  Post watch rating: 10/10.

HatorianJaimieTken haleblue_sleeve
  • Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Pre-watch Impression: This is going to be a tough one.  I absolutely loathed this movie when it came out.  I'll give it full credit for its technical achievements - it looks and sounds incredible.  I also really like Rey and was super interested in her story.  I hated everything else.  I did a search and dug up what I wrote about it at the time:

"The Force Awakens shit all over the past and ruined any meaning that the original core characters had.  It fundamentally changed the franchise from being a fairy tale to a deconstructed post-modern reality tale....no, they don't live happily ever after, Luke is a failure, Han and Leia get divorced, Han gets his ship jacked, their son is a psycho, Han gets murdered and R2-D2 is suffering from catatonic depression.

What they offer in the wake of that is a plot that is essentially a repeat of the original Star Wars and teases that the current crop of characters might be analogous to the ones that they just shit on (Rey is the new Luke, Kylo is the new Vader, Snope is the new Emperor etc).  The basic message was, your old movies didn't amount to anything, but here's the same thing with new versions of those old characters."

My feelings haven't changed since then (Rise of the Skywalker only re-affirmed them) but I'm going to do my best to watch this with an open mind.  For the technical achievement and Rey, I give it a 7/10.  For everything else I give it a 1/10.  For my pre-watch rating I'll average them out: 4/10.

RyanReeseman
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 2020
    I am completely fascinated by the phenomenon where you note the pessimism of TFA and the beloved characters but not the pessimism of TLJ and the beloved character(s). I suspect there's more psychology behind that than meets the eye, even though we're ostensibly already psychologically deep. I'm not holding my breath we'll figure it out here. My latest theory is we find reasons to build our case for disliking something after we've already disliked it, and those of us who are psychologically fluent just find more interesting reasons. But are any of us scratching the truth? Hm.

We've talked around this before, but mentioning it now in case you see something new.
    CretanBullrkcrawf
  • JaimieT said:
    I am completely fascinated by the phenomenon where you note the pessimism of TFA and the beloved characters but not the pessimism of TLJ and the beloved character(s). I suspect there's more psychology behind that than meets the eye, even though we're ostensibly already psychologically deep. I'm not holding my breath we'll figure it out here. My latest theory is we find reasons to build our case for disliking something after we've already disliked it, and those of us who are psychologically fluent just find more interesting reasons. But are any of us scratching the truth? Hm.

We've talked around this before, but mentioning it now in case you see something new.
    It's not that I don't see the characterization problems in TLJ, it's just that I accept that Rian inherited what JJ left him and he did his best with what he was given (and part of what made Rise of Skywalker so bad is that JJ didn't extend Rian the same courtesy).  The seeds of everything (minus flying Leia) that people hated about TLJ are in TFA...Rian took what he was given, tried to make sense of it and did his best to course-correct.  I don't want to spoil (or taint!) my re-watch opinions of TLJ but I didn't particularly like that movie, but I appreciate what he was attempting to do - and he showed that he understood Star Wars in ways that JJ doesn't.  TLJ is a very ambitious movie that mostly failed.  Both of JJ's movies lack any ambition at all and completely failed (IMO).  My pre-watch impressions of the 3 latest movies is that none of them are good, but at least one tried to be great.
    RyanReeseman
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @CretanBull I agree 100%. Even with all its faults, Rian did a better job with the universe. It’s not complicated or psychological. 
    CretanBull
    I don't want to get this thread off-topic, but what I was describing *is* complicated and psychological, even if your own fandom of a specific movie is not (per your assertion).
    CretanBullrkcrawf
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited January 2020
    Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Pre-watch Impression: This is going to be a tough one.  I absolutely loathed this movie when it came out.  I'll give it full credit for its technical achievements - it looks and sounds incredible.  I also really like Rey and was super interested in her story.  I hated everything else.  I did a search and dug up what I wrote about it at the time:

"The Force Awakens shit all over the past and ruined any meaning that the original core characters had.  It fundamentally changed the franchise from being a fairy tale to a deconstructed post-modern reality tale....no, they don't live happily ever after, Luke is a failure, Han and Leia get divorced, Han gets his ship jacked, their son is a psycho, Han gets murdered and R2-D2 is suffering from catatonic depression.

What they offer in the wake of that is a plot that is essentially a repeat of the original Star Wars and teases that the current crop of characters might be analogous to the ones that they just shit on (Rey is the new Luke, Kylo is the new Vader, Snope is the new Emperor etc).  The basic message was, your old movies didn't amount to anything, but here's the same thing with new versions of those old characters."

My feelings haven't changed since then (Rise of the Skywalker only re-affirmed them) but I'm going to do my best to watch this with an open mind.  For the technical achievement and Rey, I give it a 7/10.  For everything else I give it a 1/10.  For my pre-watch rating I'll average them out: 4/10.

Post-watch Impression: This is a really tough one for me.  I'll say off the bat that - objectively - this is a better movie than I've given it credit for.  I'll also say that I still think that it ruins everything that the Star Wars movies represented.

The first 45 mins or so of this movie are really good, A+.  Rey is a fantastic and compelling character.  Fin's perspective (the moral convert) gives us something new and interesting.  Poe - who I didn't like at all the first time I saw TFA - is a character that I short-changed.  He's still the one-dimensional character that I originally wrote off, but I didn't give him credit for being an archetypal 'ace fighter-pilot/adventurer' that has been the backbone of dozens of movies and hundreds of comic books that I grew up loving.  45 min in, and I'm realizing that I've been really unfair about how good this movie is.

And then Han Solo shows up, and it's all downhill from there.  The second he shows up, it's all about him and the new characters who they've done a great job of building up in the first half of the movie are suddenly relegated to background accessories.  Rey goes from being a bold and confident decision-maker who'd been propelling the story forward to being...nothing.  It's like the first half of the movie is her party, then her dad shows up and sucks all of the fun out of things.  There are still some good scenes when he first shows up (scenes about him), but once they meet up with Leia and the others, tonally the whole movie falls apart - the old folks are energy vampires who drain the fun.  For the life of me, I don't understand why JJ went down this road but it ruined what was building up to be a good movie.

I'm not going to go off on my rant that many of you have already read before, and I won't nit-pick plot points (I haven't done that to any of the other movies so I won't do it here) but I will point to this as emblematic of JJ's decision making processes...why hire Adam Driver, who is super handsome and can act, and hide him behind a mask?

I don't bring this up as a nit-pick, but asking just in case I missed something along the way.  When Kylo is 'worshipping' Darth Vadar's mask, he talks about how his goal is to fulfill Vadar's will - but Vadar's redemption and killing of the Emporer was the most definitive (and final) expression of his will. Is this just a case of Kylo missing the plot, the way we see people killing in the name of Jesus for example, or is there some backstory somewhere where Vadar's redemption isn't known and maybe Luke gets credit for killing the Emperor (and maybe blamed for killing Vadar too?).  I'm just asking because that would make sense, but I've never really dug into the extended universe stuff.

Post watch rating...first half of the movie 8/10.  Second half 4/10.  I guess that evens out to a 6/10.
    awookieeRyanReeseman
  • Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Pre-watch Impression: After watching TFA I kinda realized that Star Wars wasn't for me anymore so I had no intention of seeing this when it came out.  I ended up seeing it because my cousin and I go to the movies together pretty often, she wanted to see it and there was nothing else playing at the time so I agreed to check it out.  My expectations were low to non-existent.  I was pleasantly-ish surprised by it.  I can't say that I liked it, but I definitely didn't hate it.  I totally appreciate how Rian tried to fix a lot of the things that I thought were broken with TFA.  The two things that stood out of me, and still do, are the revelation that Rey's parents were nobody special (a theme driven home by the stableboy at the end of the movie) and how Luke emulated Obi-Wan and sacrificed himself to allow his friends to escape, which served to reinforce the lessons that Yoda gave him - the very ones that lead to his father's redemption ("you won't need your weapons" and "wars don't make great warriors").  Not a great movie, but Rian showed that he understands what made Star Wars special.  Pre-watch rating: 6/10.
    rkcrawfRyanReeseman
    Nice! A 6/10 for TFA is much more sympathetic to me. I can understand your reasoning perfectly. And yeah, the Rey stuff at the beginning is my Star Wars mood.
    CretanBullrkcrawf
  • Stupid Disney+, I've sat down to watch The Last Jedi and it will only give me the French version again.  Zut-alors!
    ken hale
  • Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Pre-watch Impression: After watching TFA I kinda realized that Star Wars wasn't for me anymore so I had no intention of seeing this when it came out.  I ended up seeing it because my cousin and I go to the movies together pretty often, she wanted to see it and there was nothing else playing at the time so I agreed to check it out.  My expectations were low to non-existent.  I was pleasantly-ish surprised by it.  I can't say that I liked it, but I definitely didn't hate it.  I totally appreciate how Rian tried to fix a lot of the things that I thought were broken with TFA.  The two things that stood out of me, and still do, are the revelation that Rey's parents were nobody special (a theme driven home by the stableboy at the end of the movie) and how Luke emulated Obi-Wan and sacrificed himself to allow his friends to escape, which served to reinforce the lessons that Yoda gave him - the very ones that lead to his father's redemption ("you won't need your weapons" and "wars don't make great warriors").  Not a great movie, but Rian showed that he understands what made Star Wars special.  Pre-watch rating: 6/10.
    Post-watch impression: This surprises me more than any of the other movies that I've seen, but I really, really liked this movie - it benefitted so much from a second viewing.  In terms of theme, TLJ is the strongest movie of the franchise and in terms of character it's as good as the best of them.  In my Empire Strikes Back review I mentioned that when it first came out that people didn't really like it, and now many consider it the best (or second best at worst).   I think TLJ is destined for the same.  Time will tell, but I think people's opinion of this will go up over time and eventually be considered one of the best Star Wars movies.  I'm already there.  Post-watch rating: 8.5/10.

gguenotRyanReesemanken hale
  • I haven't decided if I want to watch Rise of the Skywalker again.  I just saw it a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure if my pre & post impressions will change very much - if at all.  I am curious though...after watching all of the movies, my general opinion of them has gone up overall.  I think once I let go of some bitterness I was able to see the movies on their own terms and the little things - all of which are still problems - didn't bother me as much. 
    rkcrawfRyanReeseman
  • Really glad you liked TLJ so much. I respect your opinion in the forums and don’t know what would have happened had you not liked it  :p

CretanBull
  • After doing my re-watch, this is how I rate and rank each movie:

A New Hope -10
    Empire Strikes Back -10 
    Return of the Jedi -10
    The Last Jedi  - 8.5
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - (8.5*) 8.0
    Revenge of the Sith - 7.0
    Solo: A Star Wars Story - 6.9
    The Phantom Menance - 6.5
    The Force Awakens - 6
    Attack of the Clones  - 4.5

*I originally have Rogue One a 8.5, I arbitrarily dropped it to 8.0 because I like The Last Jedi more and didn't want them to have the same rating. 
    gguenotDummyDoubleA_RonRyanReesemanken hale
  • gguenot said:
    Really glad you liked TLJ so much. I respect your opinion in the forums and don’t know what would have happened had you not liked it  :p

I always liked it more than TFA, but I think that I was too bitter from watching TFA to really give it a fair chance.  I went into all of these movies with the most open mind as possible and did my best to not get hung up on the little things.  Also, and this is totally subject, plot isn't high on my list of what makes a movie good.  It's important, obviously, but I like themes, character development, character arcs, good writing, underlying ideas and concepts...I like movies that challenge me and force me to think.  I can watch and enjoy movies that have no or little of those things too, but generally speaking those are the qualities that suck me in.
    gguenot
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thank @CretanBull, this was a fun read.
    CretanBullDummy
  • Cory said:
    Thanks for following along!
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    After doing my re-watch, this is how I rate and rank each movie:

A New Hope -10
    Empire Strikes Back -10 
    Return of the Jedi -10
    The Last Jedi  - 8.5
    The Force Awakens - 6

*I originally have Rogue One a 8.5, I arbitrarily dropped it to 8.0 because I like The Last Jedi more and didn't want them to have the same rating. 
    Great reviews. I really enjoyed reading along. If my memory of these movies is accurate I feel you were a bit generous starting with Solo down. I think I’d go a full point lower. I do feel a rewatch of Rise is needed to 100% capture my opinion, but I am too disappointed to do so. So based on one watch, and using your scores as a baseline (minus my 1 that makes TFA a 5), I’d give it a 4 - because Clones HAS to be at the bottom. 
    CretanBull
  • After doing my re-watch, this is how I rate and rank each movie:

A New Hope -10
    Empire Strikes Back -10 
    Return of the Jedi -10
    The Last Jedi  - 8.5
    The Force Awakens - 6

Great reviews. I really enjoyed reading along. If my memory of these movies is accurate I feel you were a bit generous starting with Solo down. I think I’d go a full point lower. I do feel a rewatch of Rise is needed to 100% capture my opinion, but I am too disappointed to do so. So based on one watch, and using your scores as a baseline (minus my 1 that makes TFA a 5), I’d give it a 4 - because Clones HAS to be at the bottom. 
    I kind of agree with you.  I was doing my best to watch and evaluate these movies on their own terms and just go with what they were attempting to do.  I didn't dock marks for inconsistencies, plot holes, silly stuff (like Jar Jar Binks!) - even though those are all things that rightfully impact a viewer's thoughts and enjoyment of a movie.  I felt like I had to do it this way because if negativity crept in I'd get super harsh and probably lose the will to keep watching movies that I knew wouldn't be very good.  So I was generous, simply because I needed to be :)

Having said that, Revenge of the Sith was a genuine surprise.  It could be picked apart for sure but after the slog that was Attack of the Clones, Sith felt like a fun watch.  I also think that - to a degree - The Phantom Menance is unfairly maligned.  It's not great, but it's better than its usually given credit for.  The podrace was cool (a nice nod to Ben-Hur!), and by showing us a truly innocent Annakin it gives real weight to his fall from grace.  I think that hit home a little harder because I watched all three in a matter of days and not years apart as they were released. TFA got a bump in my rating because of how good the first 45 minutes are and because I viewed it on its own terms.  If analyzed in the context of the Star Wars universe and the impact it had on the overall mythology of Star Wars I'd give it a 0 because it completely ruined the greatness of the original trilogy.  I was as generous as I could be with Clones...that's just a bad movie.  It does add something in terms of story and connective-tissue, but it's not a fun watch at all.  The whole thing hangs on a love story portrayed by actors who have zero chemistry with each other.  It's a dud.  With Solo...it's just a fun movie.  There's nothing to think about, no mythology, no wonder...just eat some popcorn and watch.  That sounds more negative than I intend it to be...I'd describe some of the highest-grossing films of all time the same way.

^ I don't mean for any of that to sound argumentative if it comes across that way...I'm just trying to share what my headspace was at the time :)
  • Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Post-watch Impression: 
    Agree with your review 99%. The movie grinds to a halt when Solo shows up. It reminded me of some of the Star Trek movies (TNG or Chris Pine) where they try to integrate TOS cast members. I think there is so little of Han/Luke/Leia together bc Disney was trying to move past that...but there's no way to do that w/o pissing people off. But the ending with him, is really good. I think I teared up the first two times I saw him die. 

I think they put Kylo in a mask because "masks make men cruel." ;) No, I think JJ/Disney tried to walk a line between new and nostalgia, and it smells like ALL of the new movies have studio notes that walk back breaths of fresh air that start to appear.
    CretanBull
    I have a theory that new properties like Marvel can have more integrity because most of the execs don't have any knowledge of it, so no notes. Whereas Star Wars, even the execs have opinions about what they like. I never liked the criticism that "Star Wars is cannibalized by its own success" but this is one instance where I understand it.
    CretanBullrkcrawf
  • Cory said:
    Ditto what Cory said.  I really enjoyed throwing out my 2 cents here and there with your reviews and having someone run through this entire series of movies giving their pre post thoughts was really fun to read and interact with you regarding the different things we loved/hated with the movies.  Also loved the pre watch ranking and post watch ranking, it worked extremely well for this kind of rewatch... So what's next on the docket for @CretanBull rewatch reviews????
    CretanBull
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Just binged the original trilogy BUT watched Solo and Rogue One first. Seeing A New Hope as the middle chapter in the story really highlights just how really, really, really, ridiculously in over his head Luke was.
    Doctor_NickCretanBullken hale
  • rkcrawf said:

Post-watch Impression: 
    Agree with your review 99%. The movie grinds to a halt when Solo shows up. It reminded me of some of the Star Trek movies (TNG or Chris Pine) where they try to integrate TOS cast members. I think there is so little of Han/Luke/Leia together bc Disney was trying to move past that...but there's no way to do that w/o pissing people off. But the ending with him, is really good. I think I teared up the first two times I saw him die. 

I should have been devasted when Han died, but my honest reaction was "Good, now kill the others and let's get back to Rey".
  • awookiee said:
    Cory said:
    Ditto what Cory said.  I really enjoyed throwing out my 2 cents here and there with your reviews and having someone run through this entire series of movies giving their pre post thoughts was really fun to read and interact with you regarding the different things we loved/hated with the movies.  Also loved the pre watch ranking and post watch ranking, it worked extremely well for this kind of rewatch... So what's next on the docket for @CretanBull rewatch reviews????
    Thanks!

As for what's next...I dunno, I'm open to suggestions!
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited January 2020
    Watch the Clone Wars show. (Sort of sarcastic?)
    CretanBull
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Watch the Clone Wars show. (Sort of sarcastic?)
    I've never seen it at all so I couldn't do the pre vs post style of review, but I could watch it and share my thoughts.

It would be fun to pick a tv or movie series and do this with the whole BM community, like to a mass re-watch of The Wire or something like that but organizing a and keeping a schedule that everyone could follow would be a bit tough.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm not even a big SW fan (heck, i saw them in actual order, and still haven't watched the one that just came out). but i really enjoyed following this. nice work @CretanBull!
    It would be fun to pick a tv or movie series and do this with the whole BM community, like to a mass re-watch of The Wire or something like that but organizing a and keeping a schedule that everyone could follow would be a bit tough.
    obviously The Leftovers comes to mind. i remember following Murderbears thread when he first watch it and that was super fun. shout out @Murderbear ;

CretanBull
  • edited January 2020
    rkcrawf said:

Post-watch Impression: 

I should have been devasted when Han died, but my honest reaction was "Good, now kill the others and let's get back to Rey".
    LOL, this was exactly how I felt. Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo are so instantly electric on screen and I just remember thinking “Wow, this is what it must have felt like for those people who first saw the original movies in the theater.” 

And then old Star Wars shows back up to take you out of the movie, and as soon as it happens you just start looking around like “Hey wait a minute, this *is* just Star Wars all over again. Why is this just the Empire vs the Rebels again? A BIGGER Death Star? A map hidden in a droid what in the ass are we doing???” 

All of a sudden I was painfully aware that we were just going to remake the original trilogy. But then they let an actual film maker do The Last Jedi, and for the first time in my life I fall in love with the character of Luke Skywalker. Hamill’s doing the best work of his career, the movie looks gorgeous, there’s a wild chemistry brewing between the hero and the villain due to a fascinating new Force concept, and this is all I ever wanted this new Star Wars to be. Then we take an 11-minute detour into shit town, but at the very end we get a pretty good payoff with the reveal that there is a whole group of war profiteers funding both sides of the conflict. Which, you’d think someone could have done something interesting with that in the 3rd movie, like maybe explaining how this group of insidious people were the reason why the remnants of the Empire were able to reconstitute itself as the First Order so quickly after its defeat. Either way, we’re all set up for a lot of interesting shit to break in a lot of interesting directions in the 3rd movie, right?

THIS SUNDAY PREPARE TO BE *ANNIHILATED* AS BAD ROBOT GUY AND REDDIT PRESENTS: A THOUSAND STAR DESTROYERS WITH DEATH STAR CAPABILITIES!!!!! AT MERCEDES BENZ STADIUM FEATURING ALL YOUR FAVORITE TROPES AND THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN CRONENBERG WHO DIED 36 YEARS AGO!!! *GUITAR SOLO* DON’T MISS YOUR CHANCE TO WATCH STAR WARS BE STUPID AGAIN THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!

CretanBullken hale
  • rkcrawf said:

Post-watch Impression: 

Easy Kylo.
    CretanBullJaimieTgguenotRyanReeseman