What grinds my gears (today)

Comments

• I generally respect ARons views even though sometimes I don’t agree. One thing I’m tired of hearing though and I feel needs rectified is regarding “the drug war” he always talks about. I do agree, we should not be wasting our resources on it. But one thing ARon claims is that low level, non violent drug offenders are sent to jail for long periods of time. This is a complete fallacy. Generally, police and prosecutors do not care or want to deal with low level drug offenses. Besides being a waste of time, it also takes up too much room in the jails and costs hours of pointless paperwork. On top of that, it wouldn’t be the police putting these people in jail, it would be the judicial system. Anyway, I felt that this needed rectified. PS. Serial S3 is extremely inaccurate and biased. In many cases (not all of them) most of the issues that are talked about can And would be understood if only the other side had a voice. A voice which is always muffled by policies to protect victims and offenders. It would be interesting and I’d pay to see ARon actually talk to a prosecutor or police officer so these issues, which he is generally naive about, can be discussed with facts and research instead of emotionally held fallacies. By the way with no context to my rant here, I again love these guys for their commentary and respect much of their well though out opinion. In the drug war case, ARon should probably do some real research.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    A booth near ours at this trade show somehow thinks they’re not like the thousandth company to have robots doing a light saber battle. With their loud off-brand-ass Star Wars music. Every 15 minutes. And then a guy on a mic keeps saying “oh yeah the force is strong here at  ‘Acme Brand’” and “These ARE the droids you’re looking for.”  Ugh.

And the light saber battle isn’t even good. Dollar store light sabers too.  For 3 days now.  
    CapeGabe
  • This is a What Grinds My Gears (today) for my neighbor that I thought I'd share because it is unreal.

My neighbor went to renew his license in Boston. The registry misspelled his name while entering it in the computer. His name is MacKay and they put MacKoy. Turns out there is man in North Carolina with the same name and birthday as my neighbor except his last name is MacKoy.

They tell him his license is suspended for a ton of moving violations. He finds out the error they made, the guy was a different race as him so it is clear there was a mistake. They tell him it will take two months to do a complete investigation and fix. He says it wasn't his mistake, it was theirs. They essentially say "sucks to be you".

It's not like his wife can just drop him off at work until this is resolved. He works making repairs on multiple facilities and needs his truck for tools and to go multiple places.

He called his state representative who acknowledged that was insane and uncalled for. The rep is trying to contact someone in the registry he knows well. Currently my neighbor is home raking the leaves in his yard hoping the rep calls with good news.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @CapeGabe That sucks for your neighbor. 

Reminds me of a situation that my mom had a while back. Once the situation on the border of US-Mexico was getting worse in the late 2000s, the security measures spiked. Well it turns out that this somewhat low-level criminal that was wanted had a very similar name to my mom’s. So all of a sudden she would always get searched extra at airports. We travel to Mexico often, mostly her because her side of the family lives there, so it’s understandable that it’s going to happen every now and then. But then it started happening every single time she went through TSA.

It’s always an annoying/testy situation going through TSA but this was absurd. My mom, who had barely gotten a parking ticket her entire life, was having to go through a “step aside” search every single time she flew to Mexico. Which was at least four times a year. My entire family was annoyed and really upset. 

Long story short her name just triggered some sort of automatic signal to do a side search. My dad, who worked for the City of Dallas for a long time, used pretty much any and all the connections he had to move up, trying to get to to someone who had the power to get this to go away. Eventually it did and she was traveling with relative ease. But what sucks is knowing that if our situation wasn’t as fortunate, it would’ve never gotten resolved.
  • @Noel there has to be a class where government workers learn to do their jobs but also when to act like an intelligent empathetic person.

Update on the neighbor, what was a major frustration with the Mass RMV turned to NC RMV yesterday when they told him the reason it will take months is there are so many other people being screwed in line ahead of him.

He keeps asking the Mass RMV "If you tell me you know there is a mistake why can't you give me a temp license for 2 months?" Always told no.
  • Im Grinding my own Gears, "The Curse of Oak Island" why do I watch this show, I actively tell myself I am wasting my time, that nothing ever happens, that they are not going to find anything, people are getting excited about mud, and making huge claims over a metal pin, its so dumb, but I cant stop watching it, ill skip a week, but then get sucked back in. haha
  • Over the weekend my wife and I were in a Joann store, looking at decorations and what not. It was crowded, as you would expect for a December weekend and there was this woman playing her own music loudly out of her cell phone. She even had an earbud in as proof that she had the option of listening to it on headphones. I was honestly pretty floored by the audacity. I mean, I've seen kids do something like that, but this was like a mid 40s grown ass adult!  
    MichelleDee
  • Travis said:
    Over the weekend my wife and I were in a Joann store, looking at decorations and what not. It was crowded, as you would expect for a December weekend and there was this woman playing her own music loudly out of her cell phone. She even had an earbud in as proof that she had the option of listening to it on headphones. I was honestly pretty floored by the audacity. I mean, I've seen kids do something like that, but this was like a mid 40s grown ass adult!  

You take public transit at all? There is at least one of these idiots blasting their phone on every train car.
    Travis
  • CapeGabe said:
    Travis said:
    Over the weekend my wife and I were in a Joann store, looking at decorations and what not. It was crowded, as you would expect for a December weekend and there was this woman playing her own music loudly out of her cell phone. She even had an earbud in as proof that she had the option of listening to it on headphones. I was honestly pretty floored by the audacity. I mean, I've seen kids do something like that, but this was like a mid 40s grown ass adult!  

You take public transit at all? There is at least one of these idiots blasting their phone on every train car.
    Ugh... People, man.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Image result for people they're the worst seinfeld gif
    TravisMichelleNoel
  • I've lived in the Philadelphia area my whole life and I am so sick of the god damn Mummers. Every year there is a story about them doing racist and offensive shit and this year is no different.  I'm cringing as I'm listening these buffoons whitesplain about why walking around in blackface is "just tradition" and "just for fun." I'm glad the mayor disqualified them and is considering taking further action. Proclaiming this as harmless Philly tradition while hand waving away all the racist trash that goes on in the parade is just enabling hateful stereotypes and its beyond gross. 
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 2020
    Did EVERYONE in Eureka forget how to drive??  We have had tons of accidents in the past 3-4 weeks due to people's negligence or just plain ignorance of driving laws.   Tonight on the way home, I was stuck behind someone doing about 45-ish in a 55 zone - one lane each direction, solid yellow line (backroads home from work) - then, in town:
    • Someone cut across the street directly in front of me, causing me to hit the brakes hard
    • Someone turned into my lane just as I was approaching the intersection, then proceeded to putt-putt down the road
    • Someone ran a red light (I was about 6 cars from going through the green light)
    Keep in mind it only takes me like 15 minutes to get home.

Chinaski
  • My attempt to enact a ban on Christmas glitter (on bags, wrapping paper and ornaments) with my immediate and extended family was a total disaster.

I've been vacuuming since Christmas and my house still looks like a stripper exploded in it.

MichelleawookieeNoelTeresa from ConcordChinaski
  • Your boss calling and emailing you during your leave and insinuating you’re going to get in trouble if you don’t work. 
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited January 2020
    Morris88 said:
    But one thing ARon claims is that low level, non violent drug offenders are sent to jail for long periods of time. This is a complete fallacy. Generally, police and prosecutors do not care or want to deal with low level drug offenses. Besides being a waste of time, it also takes up too much room in the jails and costs hours of pointless paperwork. On top of that, it wouldn’t be the police putting these people in jail, it would be the judicial system. Anyway, I felt that this needed rectified.

Two facts:

1. While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners.
    2. About 1 of 10 prisoners in the US is in jail for a minor drug offense (e.g. possession of drugs, or minor trafficking of marijuana)

Based on these numbers, it seems clear that the US judicial system is really eager to put people in jail for minor drug offenses. So how is what ARon said a fallacy?

HatorianKillert0ast
  • The US has privatised its prison system which is absolutely one of the the worst policies ever and equates to the rich profiting on the poor and also is basically a modern day slavery system. 

The truth is the US has the worst incarceration problem not because it has more criminals than other countries. It’s because the police force is incentived to arrest people, the prisons are a profit making business and its good business for both of them to have a high recitivism(sp) rate. 

Unfortunately because of the way the US economy and society works it tends to be that minorities are more likely to be targets for this. Worse jobs, lower pay, easier access to illegal drugs activity, etc.

As a white male I can tell you white privilege is real as I’ve been caught by cops doing illegal activities in my youth and was let go. If I was black I doubt I get let go. 

If you look at countries that take their prison system seriously and actively work on rehabilitation it’s clear it works and convicted criminals are less likely to go back to jail. 

But it’s sad. Not only do US tax payers basically line the pockets of private prison owners these same owners use prisoners for labour and pay them less than a dollar an hour. 

And before anyone argues well if you don’t want to pay the the time don’t do the crime you don’t even understand the basic fundamental problem and it’s not worth arguing with you. 

michielterlouwNoelKillert0ast
  • The cruelty of sports.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    DMV on my day off  :#

place always reminds me of the purgatory scene from Beetlejuice. 
    Michelle
  • People who can’t say sorry when they clearly make a mistake. Instead of owning up they just ignore it. 
    MichelleNoel
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 2020
    double post
  • https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2018/04/05/americans-paid-34-billion-in-overdraft-fees-last-year-heres-how-to-stop-the-charges/amp/

Shit is literally taking money from people who have none and putting it into the pockets of those who do. This is absolutely the worst policy given the technology we have. We can verify anyone’s creditworthiness and funds. But no. This is much better business. 
  • Recently I seem all meat I buy at the supermarket is bad within a day. Open the package, get a whiff and down the disposal.

This is from multiple supermarkets. I usually prefer to go out of my way to go to a butcher (& pay more) or a bulk store (BJ's or Costco) and seal & freeze anything I'm not using right away but they aren't close. Sometimes convenience makes me just buy while I am food shopping.

I've never seen anything like this my whole life. Any supermarket in the past month has been a disaster.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @CapeGabe Do they have use by dates on them? Are they going off before that date? If so I’d be returning it. 

I get groceries delivered because I don’t drive and it drives me nuts that they will often give me meat or dairy that has a use by date of a day or two. Do they really think I’m drinking 2 litres of milk by tomorrow? But I just ring them and they refund me - the downside of course is then I have to trek out and buy whatever it is again. 
  • CapeGabe said:
    Recently I seem all meat I buy at the supermarket is bad within a day. Open the package, get a whiff and down the disposal.

This is from multiple supermarkets. I usually prefer to go out of my way to go to a butcher (& pay more) or a bulk store (BJ's or Costco) and seal & freeze anything I'm not using right away but they aren't close. Sometimes convenience makes me just buy while I am food shopping.

I've never seen anything like this my whole life. Any supermarket in the past month has been a disaster.

I’ve had similar issues with cheese lately. Which is surprising given cheese usually has a pretty decent storage date. Not to be a conspiracy guy but ever since the farming industry has taken massive blows in the US it seems the quality has declined. 

@Dee Australia has a pretty solid farming system so I wouldn’t be surprised there’s no issue with fresh meat there. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Total first world problems, but - why oh why do grocery store delis always insist on putting diced red onion in all of their salads?  I *love* Safeway deli's broccoli salad and crunchy veggie salad, but they put *so many* diced red onions in them.  I hate sitting there picking them out, but I can't stand raw onions and it totally detracts from the flavor of all of the other components.  But I mean, if this is the worst of my problems today then I'm still doing pretty good. :)
    But still!
    NoelDee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    There’s a woman who sits a few feet from me at work who never met a silence she couldn’t fill. Her current favourite topic is coronavirus. It’s 8:09 am here and we started at about 7:40. So far this morning she has had 7 separate conversations with people about how everyone is panic-buying toilet paper. Her voice is like nails down a blackboard. :-( 
    BroRad33
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Of the last 6 vinyl records I've ordered from Amazon, 3 of the ones they sent me are wrong. One of them they sent the same wrong record twice. Get your shit together Bezos. 
  • Michelle said:
    Total first world problems, but - why oh why do grocery store delis always insist on putting diced red onion in all of their salads?  I *love* Safeway deli's broccoli salad and crunchy veggie salad, but they put *so many* diced red onions in them.  I hate sitting there picking them out, but I can't stand raw onions and it totally detracts from the flavor of all of the other components.  But I mean, if this is the worst of my problems today then I'm still doing pretty good. :)
    But still!

Panera is the King of Onion Overuse.

My last job had weekly drug rep lunches and we had to tell the reps there was a ban on onions in the office.

A sandwich and salad lunch from Panera could be smelt for days.

Michelle
  • So I Buy a movie on Amazon, I own it, and then I go to watch it but I have to watch a trailer for an upcoming Amazon show first, like I get it if I'm streaming a movie I don't own, but I bought this one, no adds should be involved once I purchase it. Just saying.
    TravisCapeGabeMichelleDee
  • BroRad33 said:
    So I Buy a movie on Amazon, I own it, and then I go to watch it but I have to watch a trailer for an upcoming Amazon show first, like I get it if I'm streaming a movie I don't own, but I bought this one, no adds should be involved once I purchase it. Just saying.
    Welcome to "owning" content in 2020 lol.
    BroRad33