Last Movie You Saw & What Did you Think

Comments

• Just saw the new Jumanji: The next level last Saturday and absolutely loved it. DJ and Kevin Hart nail the embodiment of Danny Devito and Danny Glover. These movies are surprisingly entertaining as far as reboots go. 
    ChinaskiFreddybizmarkiefader
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    jleav382 said:
    Just saw the new Jumanji: The next level last Saturday and absolutely loved it. DJ and Kevin Hart nail the embodiment of Danny Devito and Danny Glover. These movies are surprisingly entertaining as far as reboots go. 
    saw this with the fam on xmas day and i agree 100%. fun popcorn movie. in addition to DJ and KH nailing DD and DG.. Awkwafina nailed her part too!
  • Frozen II with my 4-years old daughter, it's not that bad but I prefer the first one. 
    It's like watching a musical and a movie all at ones. 
  • edited January 2020
    1917 is unlike anything I’ve ever seen, and unlike anything in the history of film. I can’t even begin to imagine how they constructed some of the shots in this movie. It’s intimate and harrowing and dirty and loud and just the most nerve-racking 2 hours. I’m OK with this winning everything now.
    awookiee
  • 1917 is unlike anything I’ve ever seen, and unlike anything in the history of film. I can’t even begin to imagine how they constructed some of the shots in this movie. It’s intimate and harrowing and dirty and loud and just the most nerve-racking 2 hours. I’m OK with this winning everything now.
    100% agree with you on this.  I would pay a lot of money to have someone break down how exactly this was shot and how they managed to do what they did.  I doubt they'll get into that much of it in the special features once a Blu Ray comes out but I really hope it does include something showing/explaining how they did it.  This should win all of the awards for directing and especially for cinematography.  
  • awookiee said:
    1917 is unlike anything I’ve ever seen, and unlike anything in the history of film. I can’t even begin to imagine how they constructed some of the shots in this movie. It’s intimate and harrowing and dirty and loud and just the most nerve-racking 2 hours. I’m OK with this winning everything now.
    100% agree with you on this.  I would pay a lot of money to have someone break down how exactly this was shot and how they managed to do what they did.  I doubt they'll get into that much of it in the special features once a Blu Ray comes out but I really hope it does include something showing/explaining how they did it.  This should win all of the awards for directing and especially for cinematography.  
    Saw it last night. Absolutely incredible. I just sat there in wonder of how they did this. 
    awookiee
  • I loved Blinded by the Light. It hits all the right notes, so fucking emotional.....,...I was crying at the end
    Dee
  • Definitely didn't know the guys were covering 1917, that just made my day.  I've got some listenin to do.
    i'd be curious to compare opening weekend numbers for 1917 had it been released nationally before the golden globes.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I agree with everything said about 1917. It's a technical marvel, but I will say that it started to feel a little bit video game level-esque to me after a while. In my mind I could see the GTA "here we go again" meme lol.
    Chinaski
  • Watched Plus One. I thought it was a pretty lackluster rom-com. Maya Erskine was trying way too hard to be quirky and Jack Quaid just flatlined the entire movie. 
  • amyja89 said:
    I agree with everything said about 1917. It's a technical marvel, but I will say that it started to feel a little bit video game level-esque to me after a while. In my mind I could see the GTA "here we go again" meme lol.
    I was particularly confused by the staging in one of the sequences. It just made me go, “wait where are all the people that were just with him?” 
  • Just saw Rocketman. Was a bit disappointed. It wasn’t bad, but I had high expectations. I was expecting a typical bio pic, but parts are like a musical, which broke me out of the story. And I don’t think his story was that compelling, as great an entertainer as he is. 
  • Just watched Gimme Danger the fantastic documentary by Jim Jarmusch on Iggy and the Stooges. Lots of great vintage footage and great insight by Iggy himself. 
  • fidoz said:
    awookiee said:
    Saw it last night. Absolutely incredible. I just sat there in wonder of how they did this. 
    Don't know if you've seen it but here's one behind the scene/making of video that you might find interesting. 

gguenot
    watched Uncut Gems yesterday. i thought it was alright. a bit unbelievable for my taste. some parts were pretty hectic and gave me anxiety (taking a gummie was bad idea haha). shout out Kevin Garnett for some surprisingly good acting chops.

FreddyHatorianken hale
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:
    watched Uncut Gems yesterday. i thought it was alright. a bit unbelievable for my taste. some parts were pretty hectic and gave me anxiety (taking a gummie was bad idea haha). shout out Kevin Garnett for some surprisingly good acting chops.

He is by no means the best part of the movie, but he is great. I know he was basically playing himself, but I would love to see him in something else. Haven't seen a basketball player act that well since He Got Game.

If anybody wants a funny review of Uncut Gems, a podcast out Dallas I stumbled onto recently just dropped one:

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited January 2020
    ken hale said:
    It's not a movie but a three-part true-crime documentary on Netflix called "Don't Fuck with Cats."  It's good.  Probably goes in a direction you don't expect so I won't spoil it.  It's basically about internet-doxing for justice and how that played out in this one specific, well-publicized case.  It really pulled me in and I'm shocked I just watched the whole thing in one sitting (it could probably have been shorter), but it did leave me with a lot of unanswered questions, almost like loose plot threads that would have been really interesting if the filmmakers investigated or explained further.  Ultimately, the doc makes an attempt at tying things together with some deeper moral or meaning, but that falls flat, in my opinion.  Still a good one if you like these true-crime stories.

I just watched this and I loved it. I was slightly disappointed that when there is the slight twist you mentioned, they don't really explain one aspect of it. I won't give it away but I will hint that when it happens, my first thought was how did the FB group miss that?? And while the overall explanation of what was going on with that was satisfactory (and honestly he is a goddamn horrible genius) that one specific detail wasn't really explained and it bugged me.

I went to Reddit to find out about it and it's all explained in the psychologist's report. I know they left it out of the doc as a creative choice to tell the story in an interesting way, and that's fine. But then going and doing my own research I thought, am I falling into the trap of what they said at the end? And was that the filmmakers plan all along?? Probably , not.
    ken hale
    Just finished 1917. Loved it. A lot funnier than I expected. Surprised that aspect doesn't get mentioned as much. Although... I was the only person in the theater laughing.
  • Freddy said:
    Just finished 1917. Loved it. A lot funnier than I expected. Surprised that aspect doesn't get mentioned as much. Although... I was the only person in the theater laughing.
    Haha I totally know what you mean. The part with the hand and the corpse (without more context this isn’t a spoiler and it’s such a minor scene anyway)
    Freddy
    gguenot said:
    Freddy said:
    Haha I totally know what you mean. The part with the hand and the corpse (without more context this isn’t a spoiler and it’s such a minor scene anyway)
    Easily my favorite sight gag. Funny enough, came shortly after my favorite character. War, Lieutenant Leslie!
    gguenot
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Bought and watched Parasite. FINALLY!!! God it was so good and I’m so glad I was able to avoid being spoiled.  
    JaimieTRyanReeseman
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    cdrive said:
    Bought and watched Parasite. FINALLY!!! God it was so good and I’m so glad I was able to avoid being spoiled.  

Ooooh it's for sale? Score!
    cdrive
  • cdrive said:
    Saw it at the theater on Wednesday. Loved that movie. 
    cdrive
    edited January 2020
    I'm watching it again now. :smile:
    cdrive
  • I've committed myself to movies in 2020. When I was a younger man, it wasn't unusual for me to go to the theater 4-5 times a week. Now that my kids are older, I'm getting back on the horse. So far in 2020 I've seen 16 new (to me) movies. 7 in the theater and 9 streaming. Tonight I'm watching Skyfall for the first time. 
    cdriverkcrawfawookieeTeresa from Concordken hale
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Man movies are expensive. It helps me justify buying a movie on demand. $15 at home with house libations and food staring at a 70”? I was an usher at a theater as a teenager. I know the game. I still love getting it at a theater. Now with all this 4DX shit also? Still got mad love for the silver screen but sometimes schedules are difficult. 
  • cdrive said:
    Man movies are expensive. It helps me justify buying a movie on demand. $15 at home with house libations and food staring at a 70”? I was an usher at a theater as a teenager. I know the game. I still love getting it at a theater. Now with all this 4DX shit also? Still got mad love for the silver screen but sometimes schedules are difficult. 
    I'm doing the Regal Unlimited so I can see as much as I want for $20/month. 
    cdrive
    edited January 2020
    Parasite was as good the 2nd time.

The ending
    is great. It's a coda that I think is not real, as per him waking up in a coma and laughing about how unreal the doctor and detective were. Also per him literally writing a scene for his father elsewhere in the movie. I don't think the Morse code conversation happened. Regardless, it's there to analyze.

The genius part is the question of him wanting to save his father. The movie shows the father being saved, and hugged, then it goes back in time to the point where the son is writing the letter, leaving this event pointedly as a question and possibility. Is it possible for a boy to win vindication for his father's sins? Is it possible to do better than our parents? Well, that all depends on if you believe a person in poverty can achieve the basic thing of affording a fucking house after years of trying. The less we, as a society, allow for this condition, the more we've doomed ourselves to tragic endings.

cdriveRyanReeseman
  • I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend. I liked the acting, but was underwhelmed by the story. I appreciate that it’s a film buff/Hollywood appreciation movie and liked what they did with the historical events. But I found a good portion of the movie above average, but not great. 

A few hours ago, I saw 1917. That was a ride/experience. I thought some of the filming devices would be distracting and hurt the story. Wrong! I noticed it at times, but it wasn’t gimmicky and didn’t hurt the story at all. I think Sam Mendes deserves every bit of credit he gets for this film. 
    BroRad33