Stardew Valley

calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
edited January 30 in Gaming
Since it seems that Stardew Valley is in the current zeitgeist of Bald Move, I figured I'd start a thread about it. What system/platform do you play on? What are your favorite crops/towns people/activities? Are you for or against JojaMart? What layouts do you prefer for your farms?

I play exclusively on the Switch and I love it. In each playthough, I have always been anti JojaMart. I really like the look of the Riverland Farm layout but it is terribly inefficient. Emily and Sebastian are my favorite villagers. Also, Stardew Valley is one of the best/my favorite communities on Reddit.

I have found that https://stardew.info/ is a great resource where you clan basically plan your entire farm but part of the fun for me is just developing as I go. Amazing that this was made by one guy. I get so much joy and value from this game at this point it would probably crack my top 10

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 30
    I've been all about Stardew for a long while now.  I'm on Windows 10, game downloaded from Steam.  

Fav crops: the ones that make me money!  Strawberries in the spring, blueberries in summer, cranberries in fall.  I created a game using the four corners farm, and the bottom two corners are full on planted.  I'm at about $1.4M and entering winter, year 4.  

Fav townspeople:  Evelyn - how can you not love granny and her chocolate chip cookies? 
    Least fav:  Haley all day.  Can't stand her.  Shane is a close second, followed by Alex.

Fav activities:  hmm, maybe the night market?

Jojamart:  against!

I like checking out other people's farm layout images occasionally for ideas, but my current farm is just based on a couple of local homesteads that I thought were kind of cool.  

Also, if anyone's down to co-op, I'm in!
    Cecily
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 30
    I played this like mad until Spring hit the 2nd time and then I stopped, and I think I should thank my blessings and stay out? ;) So addicting.

Switch, for me.

Favorite villager was the emo son in the basement. Was that Sebastian? Bless him.
    Cecily
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I got this for myself for my birthday a few years ago on Xbox. My wife saw me playing...and I almost never got to play again. I did become the director though and had the iPad open to the wiki and we finished nearly everything in the game over 6-8 months maybe.

We still boot it up every once in a while. I think I've restarted my farm a few times now.
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Jim, A.Ron, Alexis and I are doing co-op on Steam.

At home, I'm playing on my Switch.  I'm in Summer of Year 2.  (I might make it into year 4 during this marathon stream...)

Favorite crops/activities: I like to play a little bit of everything available for each season.  I also like mining quite a bit, and I opened up the quarry by completing the bundles.  I just wish it weren't so far away and devastating to pass out/die.  I have restarted super productive days because the skull caves kill me so fast I don't even notice it's happening.  Then that monster Linus rifles through my pockets while I'm unconscious.
    My actual favorite moneymakers are the animals.  I have 5 cows, 2 goats, 4 chickens, 2 ducks, and 1 dinosaur.

My favorite townspeople are Leah and Elliot.  I also happen to be dating them both; I am working on dating all eligible bachelor/ettes at the same time.  Emily and Haley are next.  They like flowers and gems so it's super easy to get their hearts up.  I don't know why Lewis and Marnie dating is supposed to be secret for them but that's a fun dynamic, too.
    I really want to be best friends with the Wizard, mostly.

Jojamart:  N E V E R

I did the Hill-Top farm and it's not too efficient but it looks really neat.  It's almost entirely taken up by crop tiles, though.  

Thanks for sharing @calebthrower!

JaimieTMichelleMattyWeaves
    Oh, the Wizard, great NPC!
    Cecily
  • I bought this game a few years ago, installed it, but never actually started it up. You guys are motivating me to finally give it a go. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    JaimieT said:
    I was really convinced for a little while that I was going to end up being the apprentice he mentions needing, but it seems as though that was just a dialogue for him?  
    Michelle said:
    JaimieT said:
    I was really convinced for a little while that I was going to end up being the apprentice he mentions needing, but it seems as though that was just a dialogue for him?  

I don't know that it doesn't go somewhere..? (You probably know, huh? Or the internet does.) If it doesn't go somewhere, it's either there to lure try-hards into trying or maybe just an homage to what the typical wizard says when you encounter him in stories (or both).
    Michelle
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I hope Concerned Ape doesn't see this, but I've been splitting my time between SDV and Animal Crossing: New Leaf to get ready for the new Switch game on 3/20. My weakness in these games is I feel bad for neglecting my digital duties and friends  :D
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    Now that Stardew Valley is relevant in the BM community, I just want to say:

Leah is best girl, any other opinion is wrong.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I've had this game on my phone for a while but I've only really scratched the surface.

Is the best way to get into it by trial and error or would i benefit from looking for a "things I wish I knew when I started playing SDV" guide?
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Tesla recently added Star Dew to its arcade interface so @jim can play while on the road. 
    Jim
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina

It hurts because it's true
    Michelle
  • Hubby and I are trying to play co-op and our connection won't stay, so I can never join in. So frustrating!!!!
  • I put a good 10-20 hours into this when it first released.  Made it halfway through year 2.  My roommate also played it on my steam account and racked up the difference between my 10-20 hours and my 240 hours recorded play time.  Back in my day (**grasping suspenders and hobbling forward without bending knees**) there was only 1 layout.  You had to live with it, and love it.  Also, Emily was not available for romance, so I married Abigail.  

@PeggyB Looks like they're working on it!  https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1231643469115879424

PeggyB
  • I played on PS4. I went with the Standard layout, was anti-Joja Mart (obvi.), and married Leah. I liked to make diamonds and honey to get to 10 million gold.

Cecily