The Witcher - SPOILERS

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    I finished it last night (although a bit drowsy towards the end so might need to rewatch the last 20-30 mins).

I've never played the video game(s?) and didn't know there were books until I started reading this thread.

For those that have played the games, or read the books:

Is the storyline in the series the same story in the books, or more importantly in the video games?  I'm much more likely to play the video games... someday.
  • Went in cold and enjoyed it. The multiple timelines were easy enough to follow, and the story of the week with Geralt was fun enough to keep me entertained. 

• @Cory.  I haven't read the books, but I've heard this first Season is essentially the first book. I believe the video games are based on some of the later books, so I'm sure there will be some overlap in future seasons. I've played The Witcher 3, and highly recommend it as a great open world RPG, and a great story. I've heard Witcher 2 also has a great story, but the original Witcher game is skippable.
  • I recently listened to all the audiobooks which I didn't enjoy that much because I didn't like how the narrator handled female voices. :-) I don't think the story in the books has aged very well, it felt unneccessarily convoluted although I liked certain parts.
    The first season was ok I guess but they shouldn't rely so heavily on the CGI and wide panning shots because it is not very convincing. I didn't like what they did with Nilfgaard, the armour looked stupid, nobody was wearing shields walking into swarms of arrors and magic and I'm pretty sure they value their mages just as much as any other faction.
    Will be starting the witcher 3 game tommorrow.

ElisaMurderbear
  • Apparently "The Witcher 3" (the video game) just set its all time concurrent players record, More people are playing now than at its launch, almost 95k.

The power of Netflix I guess...

ken hale
  • I bought a used copy of The Witcher 3 several months ago in anticipation for the series and planned on playing it before the series started but never got around to it.  So of course what do I do after I watch the series, why not buy and start with the 2nd Witcher game that I don't have time to play through because I want to get the full experience.  My decision making is horrible sometimes. 
    BroRad33
  • Schlupp said:
    I recently listened to all the audiobooks which I didn't enjoy that much because I didn't like how the narrator handled female voices. :-) I don't think the story in the books has aged very well, it felt unneccessarily convoluted although I liked certain parts.
    The first season was ok I guess but they shouldn't rely so heavily on the CGI and wide panning shots because it is not very convincing. I didn't like what they did with Nilfgaard, the armour looked stupid, nobody was wearing shields walking into swarms of arrors and magic and I'm pretty sure they value their mages just as much as any other faction.
    Will be starting the witcher 3 game tommorrow.

How did you get through the audio books with the bad narrator?  That's usually an instant refund for me. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I loved it. Henry Cavill nailed it as Geralt. Just absolutely pitch perfect. Anya Chalotra was incredible as Yennefer. I was wholly impressed by how much they nailed the look and feel of The Witcher world. The monsters were perfect. The architecture and feel of the world was bang on. Honestly blown away. I was really nervous about it when I first heard this was happening. I don't think they could have done it much better.
    CapeGabeawookieeBroRad33hisdudeness915Kela15bizmarkiefader
  • mtron32 said:
    How did you get through the audio books with the bad narrator?  That's usually an instant refund for me. 
    Well, I had some leftover audible credit and started with the short stories which were kind of confusing anyway. After that it was mainly a sunk cost thing and I hoped I would get used to it. I didn't really. :-)  

mtron32
  • As someone that typically wants no part of any show that contains magic, I have to say that The Witcher does a better job of explaining the rules of the universe better than any fantasy I’ve ever seen in movies or TV. This makes it feel like there are higher stakes and our favorite characters are actually at risk.
     I have a weird relationship with fantasy and The Witcher. I used to think all fantasy was dumb. Then, my GF pulled me into GoT and the political intrigue had me hooked. I started playing The Witcher 3 in between GoT seasons because I needed something to scratch my GoT itch. TW3 just might be my favorite video game of all time now.
     As excited as I was for a Witcher series, the movie snob in me could not be convinced that they wouldn’t mess it up. I am happy to report that I REALLY enjoyed Season 1. There were a few things that made me audibly groan over the coarse of the season, but I was expecting to be groaning a few times per episode. I always hated when magic happened in GoT because it never felt earned or explained in any way. If I had known how much magic was going to be involved with The Witcher, I probably wouldn’t have given it a chance. I’m glad that I did because The Witcher has proven that magic can be well done and follow logic. 
    rhcoopawookieeElisa
  • I had this song out of my head finally and then a friend went and posted this video.  Hands down the best rendition of this song I've heard. 

calebthrower
  • chrisk said:
    Fun fact. The queen of Cintra is the younger sister who jumps off the cliff in The Last of the Mohicans. Recognized her name in the credits. 

Spoiler: she's being typecast.

Spoilers for episodes 1-3 below:

I don't have much familiarity with the games, books, or story.  I agree with a lot of the comments here that the dialog and plotting is disappointing at times, like CW-level quality, which isn't necessarily a dig, but lower-budget-feeling than I expected from this.  (Netflix is maybe spread too thin to devote adequate resources to major projects?)  Specifically, the whole setup of Cintra losing to whatever the other army is called was really really dumb.  Like, that queen and her husband were the absolute worst strategists in history.  It couldn't be taken seriously, much less that the whole conflict wasn't properly established or explained, in my opinion.  The timelines were pretty cleverly revealed in the first three episodes, which I appreciated, as it makes the overall story more intriguing.  Some of Geralt's adventures felt disconnected, almost monster-of-the-week episodes, adding to the CW feel.  I'm only three episodes in so I'll grant that things may tie in to later plot developments.  I thought Cavill was doing an admirable job of portraying an emotionless protagonist, but I kind of felt bad for him because he should have taken the role less seriously.  It's kind of a goofy show, overall, but I'll probably finish it.  I still haven't watched the expanse or the new season of lost in space, either!  My last observation is that I found the whole She's All That transformation of Yennefer(?) in maybe episode three to be a little disappointing and somewhat problematic, but whatever, it was also a cliche so it's hard to get mad at.
    Elisarkcrawf
    edited January 2020
    After listening to the coverage for The Witcher, I will no longer feel bad about making fun of A.Ron for his pronunciations of names anymore. I'm pretty sure it's all been an act this whole time.  ;)

Really good coverage though. It was cool having a book reader on there too to give context for some of this stuff. I've really thought about reading those books but I always hear they are kind of bad so I always steered away.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Listened to about 16 minutes and then got the spoiler alert.  Looks like we got 7 more hours of Witcher to complete before I dive back in.  I admit though after the 1st episode, it is indeed trashy-fun, amazing world-building, and sorta clunky / all over the place.  Wife asked me if that is Superman and I was like ...hmm not sure...he does have that same steely-eyed & chiseled jawline thing.  Glad to confirm in the 1st 16 minutes of listening.  It's cute how Alexis talks so much like Jim.  Like same sort of conversation-style and cadence.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I just watched the first episode and love it already. I'm sad I can't participate in this thread because it's not broken into episodes and I don't want to read any spoilers (never read the books or played the game.) I jumped with excitement when I realized the Baldiegang returned from holiday, and then realized they were discussing the entire season. Ugh. I guess I wait for Lunchtime.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard. In case you are still curious about Witcher 3 builds, I had the most fun going all in on signs, especially Aard (Fus Ro Dah), Quen (Sheild), and Axii (Charm). I love putting up my upgraded sheild, and letting the enemies damage themselves and heal me at the same time. Aard and Axii allow you to one shot a lot of enemies.  If you combo the upgrades with blue mutagens and the Wolf Armor (I think?), signs become stupid powerful.
  • edited January 2020
    I tried out a couple different builds, but by far the most satisfying and effective was just going straight pure alchemy. Being able to coat your weapons with very enemy-specific oils and poisons, wreak insane amounts of havoc with your bombs, and get Geralt looking like an absolute lunatic as you down potion after potion was a hell of a good time. 

I imagine it’s the most challenging build, but it was definitely the most rewarding, but I’m also someone who very much enjoys alchemy in these types of fantasy games.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I enjoyed the show overall, but "O valley of P-ENIS!" is the dumbest bit of dialogue I've heard in many moons
    Been wanting to post my Geralt since @A_Ron_Hubbard was talking about builds. I went pretty much straight combat and magic. I rarely used alchemy but always wanted to do so. Also, I'm only wearing that ridiculous mask to complete the armor set and get the full benefits!

Also, damn, this game still looks so pretty! Toussaint rules.

• CoryCory New Scotland
    @Murderbear - I've been considering getting this game (not right away, still have Spiderman and the newest God of War to finish, hell I'm only halfway through GoW II).

I'm not a big, hardcore gamer like some of you guys are, though.

The "builds" are just personal preferences based on the way you want Geralt to do battle?

I loved, loved the Batman Arkham games, mostly like the Spider-Man games.  In both of those games, you get XP (or something similar) to upgrade your gadgets/abilities.  In GoW it's similar (you upgrade your weapons and magic abilities I think).  Is this game something similar?
    Cory said:
    @Murderbear - I've been considering getting this game (not right away, still have Spiderman and the newest God of War to finish, hell I'm only halfway through GoW II).

I'm not a big, hardcore gamer like some of you guys are, though.

The "builds" are just personal preferences based on the way you want Geralt to do battle?

I loved, loved the Batman Arkham games, mostly like the Spider-Man games.  In both of those games, you get XP (or something similar) to upgrade your gadgets/abilities.  In GoW it's similar (you upgrade your weapons and magic abilities I think).  Is this game something similar?
    Indeed. Games like Batman and God of War are lighter in the RPG elements but they are definitely still there. Those games you'll preeeeety much have all of the abilities by the end whereas in The Witcher 3, you can ignore an entire third of the ability tree and still play for 122 hours and do everything in the game like I did. Speaking of God of War, I have been wanting to play through that again. Such a good game!

I would definitely recommend Witcher 3 though. It's almost always on sale for ~$15 for the complete edition on PSN and it's certainly worth it to get the full version. Blood and Wine DLC probably adds an additional thirty hours to the overall game. And it does a great job of having a difficulty for everyone. You can make it punishingly hard or just on "story" difficulty and everyone is a pushover.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm definitely a 'just on "story"' kind of player.  :D :#
    Murderbear
    edited January 2020
    Ain't no shame in it! I think I played Witcher 3 on medium difficulty. I had to play the new Star Wars game on story mode difficulty for sure. I'm not the kind of sadist that loves beating their head against the wall trying to get through tough combat skirmishes.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I know I have a finite time to play, and I'll give up if it's too hard.  I can't use up all my "Witcher TV watching time" playing The Witcher 3!
    Murderbear
    Any podcast recommendations? Bald Move is not covering per episode. 
  • Like Xena or Hercules but with better production values. Pretty god-awful, actually. I did watch the entire first season, but the last two episodes I was kind of background-watching. The best aspect of it was the vague connection between the Witcher and the princess. Makes me wonder why and how they are connected. 
  • I just finished the finale. I liked the season. I went in skeptical, esp once I saw the initial production value. But I really dug Renfri. From there, I had to read a recap to help orient me with the main characters of Ep 1. I was kinda going along with it, and I had the timeline spoiled for me. But by ep 4, yeah, I was in. I thought Cavill found a role thet he's suited for. I was good with the comic relief of the bard and the Law of Surprise, Calanthe and Mousesack, and def have a crush on Yennifer. 

Sign me up for Season 2. Might do a rewatch to pick up on stuff I missed.
    @rkcrawf I just finished the season this minute. All I have to say is “When is season 2?”  I really lik this show. Since the boys aren’t covering it I listen to the Winds Howling podcast. It’s pretty good and helped with the subtleties I sometimes miss. They release once a week so I paced my viewing to that schedule. Until today. I couldn’t wait and hit next to watch the finale. I’ll rewatch before their podcast. 
    rkcrawf
  • @Teresa from Concord I'm glad you found one. I will try to work this one into my rewatch. The first page mentions a cast by Entertainment Talk, but it has shite reviews on iTunes. 

I would like to change my Biggest Miss Baldies vote to this. I can see multiple possible reasons why it only got one podcast, but I'm definitely wanting to peel back the onion some more. 
    Teresa from Concord