The Witcher - SPOILERS

13»

Comments

• @Teresa from Concord - 3 episodes into the rewatch, with the podcast that you mentioned (which is also very good). My original watch was so surface-level, I feel like I dismissed a lot of what is going on. While the A-plot is kind of straight-forward, the hints/foreshadowing being dropped in the various timeline are so well-done.

It is a mistake to background-watch this show. I think that was part of my issue the first time around. They are also throwing a lot of unfamiliar names and places at you, that it distracts from the context of who and when these people are. I would be shocked if viewers that are unfamiliar to the games or books would fully pick up everything that the show is putting out there on the first watch. 
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    rkcrawf said:
    It is a mistake to background-watch this show. I think that was part of my issue the first time around. They are also throwing a lot of unfamiliar names and places at you, that it distracts from the context of who and when these people are. I would be shocked if viewers that are unfamiliar to the games or books would fully pick up everything that the show is putting out there on the first watch. 
    That was definitely one of my mistakes.  Episode 3 or 4 (the one with the incestual princess turned into a monster) I missed much of the ending of that.  I think that was episode 3, and episode 4 was the banquet?  I missed parts of that and was only vaguely sure it was the same warrior queen from earlier.

Had I not binge-watched it, or was more familiar with the material, that wouldn't have been nearly as much of a problem.  I'm pretty sure I watched it in less than a 24 hour period (2-3 episodes one night, and the rest the next morning/afternoon/evening).  I did the same thing with The Mandalorian.
    rkcrawf
  • @Cory And to be fair, I don't think the Mandalorian is all that deep, so you can background watch it and not miss stuff. 

I found myself (with sub-titles on) hearing them refer to Calanthe in different eras, and Ep 3 explicitly called out King Foltest in each timeline, as an adult and as a kid (with the sister he was Lannistering). And now on rewatch, I'm like, "It was all right in front of me." But I was kind of hanging out, thinking "Okay, these people are dancing at a ball, and Geralt is fighting the monster of the week."

So my hope is that people give it a second try. Obv, there are still going to be people who don't like the show, which is cool. But I hope it's not because they wrote the show off as being shallow binge. There's a lot of political and character stuff going on. It's another one that would have benefited from a weekly release.
    Coryawookiee
  • Wow. I am surprised by the vitriol in the early part of this thread.  Starts out a little tough, but by the end it really picks up steam.  I really liked Cavill with the strong, silentish, sarcastic dry humor. 
    BroRad33rhcoopTeresa from Concord
  • Doctor_Nick said:
     I really liked Cavill with the strong, silentish, sarcastic dry humor. 

Agreed, I've never seen one well placed 'Fuck...' convey the entirety of the characters current state of mind and plot situation so well. <span>:smiley:</span>

• Hollyoak said:
    Like Xena or Hercules but with better production values. 
    I had exactly the same thought. I wonder how much Jaskier's presence contributes to that. 

This is a show where Geralt and Yennefer hook up in episode 5 and then have instantly had an extended on again-off again relationship over months or years in episode 6. So, it's that kind of show. And if you can take stuff like that and some corniness, I think there's a lot to entertain here. As someone who never played the games or read the books, it's nice to get characterization and personality for characters I've seen quite a lot of fan art and cosplay for over the years (though did they kill Triss in the season finale? She wasn't in great shape). Cavill especially is pretty good as Geralt. 

I was surprised we made it to the end of the season without having Yennefer meet Ciri. Got to leave something for season 2, I guess. 

Also, did that mage that recruits Yennefer to join them and later fights the black knight one on one turn evil after that rather violent knock to the head? He kills that wounded mage rather brutally. Or was that guy a traitor?

I did appreciate that they give the guy who played Yoren on Game of Thrones the line about "a feast for the crows". 

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    The Bald Move podcast on the show convinced me to give it a try and I enjoyed it.  More modern in tone and higher fantasy/magic than most of GoT (TV show) so it doesn't feel like a GoT retread.  Cast did a great job.
    BroRad33