2019 Top 10 - Bald Move fans edition

2»

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Yes Counterpart  :'(
    rkcrawf
  • edited December 2019
    It's tough to remember what shows happened during the earlier part of 2019 but 

1. Mr. Robot
    2. Chernobyl
    3. Game of Thrones (go ahead come at me, it had it's problems but I still enjoyed it a lot.  Also looks amazing on 4k disk)
    4. Watchmen 
    5. The Expanse 
    6. Stranger Things
    7. Succession
    8. Legion
    9. True Detective
    10. The Boys

Honorable mentions... Umbrella Academy, Mandalorian, Mindhunter, When They See Us, The Deuce, Euphoria.
    rkcrawf
  • rkcrawf said:
    After last night's finale, Mr. Robot jumps to the top of my 2019 list. 

1. Mr. Robot
    Glad to hear it was a strong finale.  I only saw the first couple episodes of season 4, and will finish when it gets to Prime. I've enjoyed the show intermittently, but sometimes found it aimless.
  • 1. Fleabag

2. Watchmen 

3. Succession 

4. Legion 

5. Mindhunter 

6. Mr. Robot 

7. Chernobyl 

8. True Detective 

9. Barry 

10. Russian Doll 

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Dang I forgot Los Espookys.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I knew I forgot one!
    The Crown was SO good! :heart:
    Noel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    So, check your mail box guys and girls because you have all been indicted by me for When They See Us.  
  • edited December 2019
    1) Mr. Robot (easily)
    2) Chernobyl
    3) Dark
    4) Edit: I forgot Counterpart
    5) everything else I watched tied
    rkcrawf
  • cdrive said:
    So, check your mail box guys and girls because you have all been indicted by me for When They See Us.  
    Thanks for the reminder
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2019
    ok work is slow right before the holidays and I was bored ... so I tallied up everyone's lists rank-choice style (i.e. 1 = 10 pts, 2 = 9 pts, and so on) and now I present to you the Bald Move forum's top 10 based on what everyone has posted in this thread so far (and with the caveat that I may have screwed up transcribing some of the lists to a spreadsheet).

Pretty clear gap between the top 5 and everything else. Out of the top 10 I think Succession is the only show that hasn't been covered in any form on Bald Move this year ...  cough *watchsuccessionjimandaron* cough

Place Show Points
    1) Chernobyl 106
    2) Watchmen 103
    3) Succession 94
    4) Fleabag 88
    5) Mr. Robot 82
    6) True Detective 54
    7) The Expanse 47
    8) Stranger Things 46
    9) Barry 41
    10) Legion 32
    ChinaskiJaimieTMichellecdriveDeerkcrawfNaugustineadobo1148NoelDoctor_Nickand 4 others.
  • adobo1148 said:
    cdrive said:
    Thanks for the reminder
    I would have listed it, but I thought it came out last year based on the Emmys. If it came out this year, it’s def on my list... prob above True Detective. 
  • In no particular order, list probably skewed by recency bias:

Unbelievable

Dark

Catastrophe

Fleabag

Succession

The Expanse

Chernobyl

Russian Doll

The Watchmen

The Deuce

Honorable mention:

Dirty John

Game of Thrones

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited December 2019
    Top 10 (too close to order)

Veep
    Game of Thrones
    Chernobyl 
    Stranger Things
    Succession
    Fleabag
    Barry
    The Boys
    Dead to Me
    Russian Doll

edit: so I guess it’s important to notice the top ten is for 2019. Deleted a few oldies but goodies 
    Elisa
  • edited December 2019
    This has been one of the best years for scripted TV in recent memory, so many great shows. Here are my favorites:

1. Succession. Just phenomenal drama with exceptional writing and acting. One of the best sophomore seasons of a show ever, right up there with Leftovers S2.  It's also one of the best comedies too.
    2. Mr.Robot: Esmail nailed the landing and I'm comfortable putting Mr.Robot in the pantheon of all-time great shows.  Some truly stand-out, cinematic episodes with a finale that hit me in a profoundly poignant way.
    3. Euphoria: Love the filmmaking here. This is a perfect example of "it's not what, it's how".  Very good lead performances as well. Looking forward to what Sam Levinson does with S2.
    4. The Mandalorian: Pure pleasure and better than I expected considering how unfocused Disney Star Wars has been. The essence of this show is a simple western, but it's done with such love and care that you can't deny its charm.
    5. Mindhunter:  I love psychology and trying to make sense of human behavior in the extremes and this show scratches that itch.  It doesn't hurt that David Fincher is behind it either.
    6. Watchmen: The sequel to Watchmen I didn't know I needed or wanted. Hooded Justice's origin story alone made this show worthwhile, but there's a lot of great ideas and typical Lindelof weirdness.  Only nitpick was the often clunky exposition.
    7. Game of Thrones: I'm not on the hatewagon.  Overall I was mixed positive while fully acknowledging the flaws.  I was just too invested in this show/story to not love at least some of it, and I did.  Jaime knighting Brienne is still one of the best TV moments of the year along with some others that will stay with me for a long time. Not the brilliant and cohesive finale we all hoped for, but not the flaming garbage pile some would have you to believe.
    8. Chernobyl: Unexpected gem of 2019.  Even though I knew a lot about the disaster, it's very good and important viewing.
    9. Sex Education: A pleasant surprise early in the year.  Not complex, but a great cast and solid writing make for one of the better high school dramedies I've seen.
    10. Servant: A psychological thriller/horror that came out of nowhere last month and I love it. Creepy and atmospheric, you don't ever really know what is going on.  Very well shot and acted. Only 30 minute episodes so not a big investment. Already renewed for S2 so I hope this show catches on.

Some honorable mentions off the top of my head: True Detective / Fleabag / Big Mouth / The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Dark / Russian Doll / Stranger Things / Love, Death & Robots / South Park / Rick & Morty (so far)

Elisarkcrawfadampasz
  • As much as I want to create a top 10 list of the best shows of 2019, I have no idea where to start.  I don't trust myself to be objective and fear it would just be a list of the shows I've watched recently, and I'd leave off all the stuff from earlier in the year.  

Instead, I'd like to present you with my 2019 Year In Review!  This is not completely accurate.  My various media center's "scrobble" my TV and Movie watches to the service linked to above.  Various issues with (my end of) the scrobbling caused some stuff my roommates, and even people I share my plex library with, to scrobble to my account.  Also, a lot of the time, things would scrobble multiple times at once!  Movies I've seen at the theater, or movies and shows I watched that did not originate in my own library have to be manually marked as watch on the service.  I cannot honestly say I was zealous in doing that.  I did my best to go through and remove things I'm certain I didn't watch, or that got marked multiple times.  I did not try to add things I watched that were missing.  

Anyway, here it is again:  https://trakt.tv/users/joshtheblack/year/2019
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    My abbreviated list:

Fleabag (absolute perfection)
    Succession
    When They See Us
    Watchmen
    Unbelievable
    Russian Doll

Shows I have not watched yet that, based on reviews or previous seasons, might have made the list: Chernobyl, BoJack, Undone, Better Things, Catastrophe, Years and Years, Gentleman Jack.
    cdrive
  • I'm really surprised by the amount of love Succession is getting. I never thought it looked good, but I guess I'll give it a shot if so many people hold it in such high regard. My top 10:

1. Mr Robot
    2. The Deuce
    The Boys
    True Detective
    Russian Dolls
    Barry
    Watchman
    Silicon Valley
    Mrs Fletcher (My love of Kathryn Hahn knows no bounds)
    Stranger Things
    Elisaken hale
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 6
    Ok 2019 is a wrap ... here's the consensus list updated with new entries and expanded to the top 15 (I've excluded lists where people said they were not ranked in order).

Place Show Points
    1) Watchmen 119
    2) Sucession 113
    3) Chernobyl 109
    4) Mr. Robot 101
    5) Fleabag 98
    6) True Detective 61
    7) tie The Expanse 47
    7) tie Stranger Things 47
    9) Barry 46
    10) The Boys 35
    11) Legion 32
    12) The Mandalorian 28
    13) tie Mindhunter 24
    13) tie Dark 24
    15) Unbelievable 20
    HatorianNoel
  • Dummy said:
    I'm really surprised by the amount of love Succession is getting. I never thought it looked good, but I guess I'll give it a shot if so many people hold it in such high regard. My top 10:

1. Mr Robot
    2. The Deuce
    The Boys
    True Detective
    Russian Dolls
    Barry
    Watchman
    Silicon Valley
    Mrs Fletcher (My love of Kathryn Hahn knows no bounds)
    Stranger Things

It really is that good. Won a couple awards at the a Golden Globes tonight (ah yes, it's dumb awards show season!), including best tv drama, and best actor for Brian Cox.
    Dummy
  • Just to throw it out there cause I like to give Genndy Tartakovsky credit, I watched his new show Primal last night (free on adultswim.com in the US).  Pretty great compelling drama, especially when you consider no dialogue.  Highly recommend and it's a very low investment.  5 episodes each maybe 20 minutes.  Supposedly 10 episodes ordered but it ended in a "good" way, such that I don't think you need to watch more, but I know I will if more are released.
    ken hale
    MrX said:
    Ok 2019 is a wrap ... here's the consensus list updated with new entries and expanded to the top 15 (I've excluded lists where people said they were not ranked in order).

So I am not excluded, I numbered my top 10  ;)
    1. Veep
    2. Fleabag
    3. Succession
    4. Chernobyl
    5. Barry
    6. The Boys
    7. Russian Doll
    8. Stranger Things
    9. Game of Thrones
    10. Dead to Me

• MrXMrX CO
    edited February 5
    Alrighty with the Baldies imminent I am resurfacing this thread to give a final talley (thanks @Teresa from Concord for the ranking!) for the forum's top 15 shows of 2019, rank-choice style. 

PlaceShowPoints
    1) Succession 121
    2) Watchmen 119
    3) Chernobyl 116
    4) Fleabag 107
    5) Mr. Robot 101
    6) True Detective 61
    7) Barry 52
    8) Stranger Things 50
    9) The Expanse 47
    10) The Boys 40
    11) Legion 32
    12) The Mandalorian 28
    13) tie Mindhunter 24
    13) tie Dark 24
    15) Unbelievable 20
    Teresa from Concord
    I have a question, though.  There are people who indicated that their lists were in no particular order.  So how do you rank the shows in those people's lists, and how do you get a definitive top 10 with that in mind?  
  • Michelle said:
    I have a question, though.  There are people who indicated that their lists were in no particular order.  So how do you rank the shows in those people's lists, and how do you get a definitive top 10 with that in mind?  
    If I'm not mistaken, he had said something about not including those people's responses in the rankings.  It was only people that had them ordered 1-10. 
    Michelle
    awookiee said:
    Michelle said:
    If I'm not mistaken, he had said something about not including those people's responses in the rankings.  It was only people that had them ordered 1-10. 
    Oh ok, I missed that part. 
    Michelle said:
    awookiee said:
    Michelle said:
    Oh ok, I missed that part. 
    It's why I resubmitted my choices...in order...because I want to count too!