Oscar's Pool

Comments

• Chianski and Awookie tied....
  • It’s gonna come down to visual effect. That is the only one you guys are separate on
  • Tie breaker goes to whoever had more “blue” scores as in the big awards
  • @Chinaski you and I both.
    Chinaski
  • edited February 10
    Clearly I was a little behind on the refreshing the thread lol. I was going back and forth Lion King/Avengers/1917 for visual effects.  Nail'd it.
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    good job @awookiee my dude! respect!
    awookiee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Are we behind in updating it?  I thought Bombshell won for Makeup?
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Disappointed with the Laura Dern win. She's to much the same in every character she plays. She needs to figure out how to make the audience continue to watch a character that is written to not be likable.
    awookiee
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Disappointed with the Laura Dern win. She's to much the same in every character she plays. She needs to figure out how to make the audience continue to watch a character that is written to not be likable.
    She was the worst part of that movie.
    Teresa from Concord
    I wish we had the music category. I would have gotten that one right ;-)
  • edited February 10
    Are you talking the performers that are playing at the show because both original song and original score are categories in the excel spreadsheet?

And I second what everyone has said about Laura Dern.  
    awookiee said:
    Are you talking the performers that are playing at the show because both original song and original score are categories in the excel spreadsheet?

And I second what everyone has said about Laura Dern.  
    Haha I don’t remember that so I guess I got it right. Go Elton!
  • Yea. Awookie is gonna win. 

Lara durn got her I’ve been good for so Long award
    The only good thing about Joaquin winning is that his speeches are always...entertaining? Rambling? Cow-focused?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 10
    Chianski I haven’t locked the spreadsheet. Nows your chance to change your pick to give you a shot to tie 
    Hatorian said:
    Chianski I haven’t locked the spreadsheet. Nows your chance to change your pick to give you a shot to win 

haha nah. i'm sticking with my picks. shout out @awookiee. i'm ok with what i picked last week.
    Hatorianawookiee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Whoa!  Didn't see that coming!  I'm gonna have to go see Parasite now.
    Congrats to @awookiee on winning the pool!
    awookiee
    edited February 10
    yes! so glad Parasite won! shoulda went with my taste. regardless, i think i still did pretty good.
    MichelleTeresa from Concorddarwinfeeshyawookiee
  • Wow. Parasite cleaned up. 
  • 1917 was who I thought was going to win, but Parasite is who I wanted to win.  I figured they'd end up giving director to Parasite and film to 1917 but I'm extremely happy Parasite basically swept the categories it was nominated for; best original screenplay, foreign film, director, and to top it all off best film.  1917 was extremely good but it was more of a technical achievement than anything in my opinion.  
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm thrilled Parasite won. Fuck 1917 tbh. Sick of war movies.

This feels like the first time in a LONG time the best film of the year won.
    darwinfeeshyRyanReeseman
    Big thank you @Hatorian for doing this. I had a lot of fun. I normally don’t pay attention to award shows but I would definitely do this again. 

And congrats @awookiee for the big win!
    Hatoriancalebthrowerawookiee
  • Thanks @Hatorian for putting this together.  It was much more fun than I expected.  2019 was an amazing year for movies but looking ahead at 2020 it's not looking very good at the moment.  Hopefully there's several great movies coming out that we haven't heard about yet.  
    Hatorian
  • awookiee said:
    Thanks @Hatorian for putting this together.  It was much more fun than I expected.  2019 was an amazing year for movies but looking ahead at 2020 it's not looking very good at the moment.  Hopefully there's several great movies coming out that we haven't heard about yet.  
    Yeah the landscape looks bleak as hell for 2020. No real buzz for anything coming out of Sundance either. 2019 was just so stacked from a filmmaker standpoint and so backloaded with greatness that it’s going to look rough for a long time in comparison. It’s a rare year when that many high-profile filmmakers put out bangers. 
    If the forums are 100% working next year I predict they'll be a lot more participation. I think many got tired of 504 and gave up.

And I laughed when I realized I was the only one that didn't pick Joaquin Phoenix for best actor. I know he was the favorite to win, but I couldn't do it. I didn't think it was Oscar worthy, and the movie itself was just ok. The last 1/3 truly saved it.

For 2020 the only thing on my radar is No Time to Die because Daniel Craig is my hall pass. But others to be excited for? I'm with @awookiee and @RyanReeseman.  The New Mutants and Black Widow too obvious? Maybe Charlie Kaufman's I’m Thinking of Ending Things? I wasn't expecting Parasite so maybe there's a sleeper in the mix?
    JaimieT
  • If the forums are 100% working next year I predict they'll be a lot more participation. I think many got tired of 504 and gave up.

And I laughed when I realized I was the only one that didn't pick Joaquin Phoenix for best actor. I know he was the favorite to win, but I couldn't do it. I didn't think it was Oscar worthy, and the movie itself was just ok. The last 1/3 truly saved it.

For 2020 the only thing on my radar is No Time to Die because Daniel Craig is my hall pass. But others to be excited for? I'm with @awookiee and @RyanReeseman.  The New Mutants and Black Widow too obvious? Maybe Charlie Kaufman's I’m Thinking of Ending Things? I wasn't expecting Parasite so maybe there's a sleeper in the mix?
    Black Widow, Mulan, and A Quiet Place 2 for sure. 

The only thing on my radar from an indie perspective right now is Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir: Part II, Rose Glass’ feature debut Saint Maud, and Janicza Bravo’s Zola, which is apparently a movie commissioned entirely from a Twitter thread about two strippers who take a trip to Florida, and the wild hijinks and falling-out that ensued. 
  • I think Dune from D V is coming out. That should clean up all the technicals. 
    really hoping the Nightmare Alley remake, directed by Guillermo del Toro comes out this year. loaded cast and obviously GDT is terrific!

Dee
    Have their been any current movie podcasts yet this year? I wonder which 2020 movie will be the first that @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard deem worthy. 
    haha shout out Guillermo :D

Michelle