Star Trek: Picard (Spoilers Included)

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    adobo1148 said:
    I'm not sure they needed to reintroduce Hugh. Unless he plays an integral role to the plot, they could have had just any former Borg as the executive director of this cube. It's not that big a deal, maybe a little too fan servicey.

Wait, did I miss this?
  • When Soji is talking with the ex borg Romulan woman she specifically says the name Hugh when referring to the director of Cube. I know icouldn’t  believe it myself.
  • I get that someone has to look after the grapes, but a couple of ex bad ass tal shiar agents would come in handy during this mission. More Laris and Zhaban please! 
    visi0n
  • JL, love it, hate it, indifferent?
  • Well, there goes A-Ron's TOPDAB thing from Mr. Robot.  If the Federation is so amazing, how come Raffi is living in a trailer, jealous of Picard's ancestral chateau?  And more of a magic jetpacks thing, but, man the variab;e transporter technology is just annoying.  And why oh why can the failing Romulan death squad not be beamed out of Chateau Picard?  
    CecilyA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Yeah the problem with the "we have replicators so there's no scarcity" economy in star trek was always that real estate is still a thing and the replicators ain't out there making new earths. So maybe it's a "you're guaranteed an apartment unit" type deal but rich, moneyed families still have estates that the "poors" can only dream of. 

Also, I think Star Trek writers would be endlessly happier if transporters had never been added to the fiction. They make so many barriers and dangers pointless if you stop to think about it for a second. Better to just think of transporter tech as a deus ex machina and either you can live with it or you can't. 
  • Well, there goes A-Ron's TOPDAB thing from Mr. Robot.  If the Federation is so amazing, how come Raffi is living in a trailer, jealous of Picard's ancestral chateau?  

My impression is it was more of a self-imposed situation. She wanted to be out in the middle of nowhere with the 'woe-with-me' attitude while smoking her plants and being angry at the world. 
    Cory
  • I'm finding it interesting that they chose to work in the future-events from the Kelvin timeline in the Bad Robot movies with the TNG-era aftermath following Nemesis.   I'm not sure though if this represents a future Picard where the divergent Kelvin timeline is history to these characters or not?      Maybe there will be snake-jazz to clear that up.

If this is a future where Kirk's daddy was killed by time-traveling future-tech wielding freakishly strong and tall Romulans and Kirk's trajectory towards the Enterprise was changed by youthful motorhead hijinx and bar-fights:  I could see the Federation as being very different by the TNG era.   Maybe this version of the Federation never was the true economic utopia that Roddenberry insisted on but something more moderately utopian?

At any rate, there is an uncomfortable amount of "how much things cost" to square with the pure utopian vision we were told about in STTNG S1E26.    It'll be interesting to see if (and how) they address it or if it just gets hand waved as socioeconomic inertial dampeners. 

I think there will be an AI through-line connecting Picard with this Season of Discovery.  Seems like these writers really wanted to tell an AI story and I'm on board for it so far.   Speaking of?  I like the way they introduced Rios but when I see his ships holograms are all doppelgänger's it triggers my "red shirt disposability" forward sensor array.    
    blacksunrise7
  • Is the latest podcast not working for anyone else? not working on site, doesnt even show up on itunes/podcast eps. Im talking about the The End is the Beginning podcast, just to be clear.

Also I keep getting errors on the forum as well.
  • Gan said:
    Is the latest podcast not working for anyone else? not working on site, doesnt even show up on itunes/podcast eps. Im talking about the The End is the Beginning podcast, just to be clear.

Also I keep getting errors on the forum as well.
    I saw it come down on the premium firehose feed yesterday after work but I haven't seen it hit the Podcast Maneuver feed yet, on iTunes.  The web player seems to work for me, though.    
  • Not working for me. The web player is there, but trying to play it (in both Chrome & Firefox on both my PC and my Android phone), it spins endlessly and the time index says "NaN:NaN:NaN." I'm thinking they pushed the post out before they'd uploaded the file there. Or...something.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It should be playing fine now peeps!
    bazjensterDrCynPizvisi0n
  • edited February 12
    I am hoping that when 'Carnal by Romulus' cologne goes on sale in the Merch shop, it will be available in a 'reclaimed' Borg Cube box - limited edition. Shame it's so close to valentines. 
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Yeah the sexy Romulun part of this show is awful and cringey. Luckily the rest of the show is hitting me well enough to keep watching. 
  • The new episode is not in my Overcast feed....Anybody else having trouble?
  • I know im probably in the minority, but I find the Soji/Narek thing pretty compelling. They seem pretty natural with each other, chemistry feels very believable. Yes its not very Star Trek, buy nonetheless competently executed. 

Also new addition to the crew, Elnor of Rivendell, nice. He basically  looks like ab elf.
    manhattnik
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited February 13
    adobo1148 said:

Also new addition to the crew, Elnor of Rivendell, nice. 

Lol, my first thought was "so Romulan Legolas, then?"
    adobo1148manhattnik
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    edited February 14
    I see I've been beaten to the Elvish Romulans observation with comments funnier than I would've made. Notice they went out of their way to show us that Jeri Ryan is in a costume which actually allows her to breathe? 

I have given up even trying to make sense of all this timeline stuff. Is Vulcan blown up here or not?

The show is getting more and more ridiculous. I liked the Romulans better when we knew nothing about them other than that they're snotty and the universe's worst dressers. 

This is turning into LOTR.

The "bridge flashback" moments are not interesting, just reinforce the idea of Picard kinda losing it. Was he really so naive as a starship captain? 

• manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    "Don't kill anyone unless I tell you to."
    "OK."
    No way that could possibly go wrong. 
  • I see I've been beaten to the Elvish Romulans observation with comments funnier than I would've made. Notice they went out of their way to show us that Jeri Ryan is in a costume which actually allows her to breathe? 

I have given up even trying to make sense of all this timeline stuff. Is Vulcan blown up here or not?

The show is getting more and more ridiculous. I liked the Romulans better when we knew nothing about them other than that they're snotty and the universe's worst dressers. 

This is turning into LOTR.

The "bridge flashback" moments are not interesting, just reinforce the idea of Picard kinda losing it. Was he really so naive as a starship captain? 

Imo, The show’s premise premise really demands a deeper dive into Romulan culture. I do like this idea of elite women Romulan warriors, Romulan samurai if you will. Now if they’ve always been an enemy of the Tal shiar have they by extension always been allies of the federation or at least frenemies?
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited February 14

No, Vulcan is perfectly fine in this timeline. This story is set in the at the starting point of the branching timeline where the 2009 Star Trek movie is set. In this universe Spock disappeared while trying to stop the Romulan star from going Nova. He failed and it did.

In the 2009 movie, we follow Spock to that new timeline where he went back to the past and found out the other Romulans had gone back in time and killed Kirk's dad, the bad guys blow up Vulcan, etc, etc. In the movie, this is explained as becoming an alternate reality as opposed to them actually changing the future where the STNG characters are. 

For this show, we essentially didn't follow Spock, and see the aftermath of him failing to keep Romulus from being destroyed. 

FlukesCory
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited February 15
    Why do I feel like Allison Pill is playing her Newsroom character?

The Federation sent Wallenberg class transports to evacuate the Romulans....
  • I am 100% on board with the Picard and crew storyline and 0% on board with the borg cube storyline, mostly because hot romulan and not-dahj are two of the most boring characters I've ever seen. I literally look away to something else whenever it's on and then have to look over and rewind to read any subtitles. How on earth did they make an abandoned Borg cube this boring? 
    Cory
  • Its probably my imagination but it looked like Espn’s Bill Simmons playing Bruce Maddox
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • edited February 20
    I'll give it a rewatch but for me, this week's episode had the cheese factor turned up to Warp 9.5    7 of 9's whole deal just felt like a Kirk double fisted blow of heavy-handedness.   The akimbo-blaster rifle scene-closer made me actually LOL a bit.  Reminded me of Starship Troopers, "C'mon you apes do you want to live forever?" 

pew pew pew pew..

Also, Maddox womp womp.   

At episode 5, I feel like this is the campaign on a Call of Duty: In Space! video game. 
    I'm in the tank for this show, though: hoping for a strong finish.
    Cory
  • Cheesy until the dark turn at the end, which saved the episode.  I don't know why they can't do the more optimistic stuff seriously, but they certainly turned up the camp for that "facer" operation....
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I wish you could both experience this show how you're choosing to (probably by watching it) and have it meted out to you in random bursts like I am. It's really quite spectacular. I get to laugh at the bad-good; the dopamine!

Today's was: Icheb was brutally ripped apart.
    Jim
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    This episode pretty much lost me.  Yawn.

The guy playing Maddox felt more like Dr. Jacoby from Twin Peaks.  Nothing at all seemed like Bruce Maddox to me.

The guy "playing" Icheb did look like the original guy (or what I would believe him to look like 15 years later).  I half expected him to secretly be alive, which would have been cliched, but probably better than what we got.

Picard and Seven felt like foreign versions of their characters.

At least the episode wasn't watered down with the Borg Cube or the "newest" Spock lookalike.

For anyone not aware of the Narak/Spock comparisons: I can barely tell which is which.

JaimieTmanhattnik
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    The guy on the right has a slightly wider face at the temples, duh. :D God, that's bad.