MLB 2019

1313233343537»

Comments

• Red Sox going out of business sale. All good players must go.

All this is to keep them under luxury tax. Can do it because they know Red Sox fans will keep paying ridiculous prices even if they field a little league team. 

I really dislike John Henry. Hedge fund stat nerd. 

He owns the Globe and trolls the Pat's constantly but hardly reported his own locker room attendant child molester. Metoos everyone except own editorial staff which they don't even report the claims against them. 

MrX
  • Wow. You win 3 World Series in 15 years and always fielding a competitive team that is selling out. 

Getting rid of arguably a top 3 player for salary relief and a really good prospect is just wow. If I am a BoSox fan I’m furious. And as a cubs fan I’m even more shitty what they gave up for half a year of Chapman and a middle rotation starter. 

but maybe they knew I Mookie had a large part to play in the sign stealing scandal and they were worried if stories leaked he might be used as the scapegoat to make up for the lack of player penalties handed out for this. Or maybe he’s just got a bad coke habit. 

If Mookie bets that return then the Cubs should just hold onto Bryant and play out the last 2 years of the championship window and let him walk. 
  • I don't think it will actually happen, but I'm going to laugh pretty hard if this whole Mookie Betts trade falls apart.  I don't think Boston ownership cares about the fans/media reaction to the trade but maybe they're starting to rethink it a little and are like "yeah, we didn't really get that much for him, let's raise this known medical issue in an attempt to either renegotiate or back out entirely".  Personally, I think the deal is happening.  It seems similar to the Kyrie being traded to Boston when the Cavs delayed the deal because IT was injured more than they thought (but ultimately, that deal still got done).
  • https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28655757/report-intern-introduced-astros-codebreaker-sign-stealing-program

Man, just more and more out of Houston.  If this was college, the program might receive the death penalty at this point.  I also think the GM was now justifiably fired.  If he didn't know what was happening, then he should be fired for just incompetance on a day to day basis of the team.  But also the whole "I didn't read my email" or "didn't read it in entirety" is not a valid excuse in my opinion.

• https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28655757/report-intern-introduced-astros-codebreaker-sign-stealing-program

Man, just more and more out of Houston.  If this was college, the program might receive the death penalty at this point.  I also think the GM was now justifiably fired.  If he didn't know what was happening, then he should be fired for just incompetance on a day to day basis of the team.  But also the whole "I didn't read my email" or "didn't read it in entirety" is not a valid excuse in my opinion.

Man, this guy seems like a bigger and bigger assclown every day, "Koch-Weser told MLB that the former GM would occasionally go to the Astros' video room during road games and make comments like, "You guys Codebreaking?""

What an idiot. 
  • https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-dodgers-pitcher-files-lawsuit-against-astros-wants-them-to-forfeit-31-m-190648512.html

Was almost waiting for this to happen.  Don't think this guy will actually win but he's got an interesting case.  Just wonder if maybe Houston will settle with him just to shut him up and try to make this story go away.

Rumor has it that Boston is going to get off easy.  Just wonder if that is the case if some sort of backroom deal was made since MLB didn't even want to investigate them in the first place.

Michelle
  • He’s got a very strong case. If they can prove they cheated during his time on the mound and he got demoted the next day after he’s probably gonna get a pretty sizeable settlement. And if they go to court he’s probably going to win an average reliever contract. Good for him though. It’s quite possible they ruined his career. 
    ChinaskiNoelTravisMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    jeez Jim Crane.. what a silly old stooge. worse sorry but not sorry ever. kick rocks dude.
    Travis
  • I'm just shocked that no one pressed him on the "in my opinion, this did not impact the game".  The immediate follow up is "if this wasn't impacting the game, then why the hell was the team doing it in the first place".  Not to mention that at least one Astro's players flat out said that it gave them advantage.  Or how about asking Crane why he fired his GM and Manager because they should have overseen the team better.  Well, you oversee them, so it starts from the top on down.  Too bad Manfred didn't want to go after an owner, it appears now that Crane should have received some sort of suspension and been ordered to stay away from everything related to the team for awhile as his punishment.

TravisMichelleChinaski
  • Whole thing is a joke. That organization is rotten and it obviously comes from the top. 
    Chinaski
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm really curious to see how this whole scandal affects the upcoming season - specifically, how the Astros perform and how teams that have consistently lost against them fare in the new season now that the Astros won't be using cheating techniques to win games.  

Also, let's go Oakland!  This could be your year now!
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    I'm really curious to see how this whole scandal affects the upcoming season - specifically, how the Astros perform and how teams that have consistently lost against them fare in the new season now that the Astros won't be using cheating techniques to win games.  

Also, let's go Oakland!  This could be your year now!
    same. also wondering how many more times teams are going to intentionally plunk them. i have a feeling the Astros are going to be in more than usual bench clearing brawls. 

heard a caller on the radio yesterday that said he got his ticket ready for when they come to town, with a sign that says 'PLEASE DON'T STEAL MY SIGN'.
    CoryMichelleTeresa from Concord
    edited February 16
    would be hilarious if teams play this between innings when Houston comes to town :D

MichelleNoel
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    R.I.P. Tony Fernandez.
  • https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28724451/red-sox-jd-martinez-thinks-astros-bashing-bit-much

I get what JD is saying with regards to moving past the cheating scandal.  However, where I sharply disagree with him is players constantly using video in game to disect their performance.  What were players doing before they had ipads or tablets during games?  Maybe they just used their wits to figure out what was wrong with their swing and if they didn't, then maybe they could acquire video after the game ended to diagnose an issue.  I mean, at this rate, why is a pitching coach not allowed to bring a smart device to the mound to show the pitcher exactly what they're doing wrong in order to make an adjustment in the exact moment?  My opinion, remove all video feeds and force the players to use their brains or advice from their teammates/hitting coach in order to figure out what happened during the last at bat.  And then after the game, use all of the technology you want to analyze your individual at bats for mechanical purposes.  And yeah, i'm fine if offense comes down a bit because of this.

Hatorian
  • I'll also add in this, this Jose Altuve tattoo story is now just comical with people trying to go all zapruder style on if he had the tattoo previously or not.  Or, the Ringer doing a piece about the timeline of when he could have gotten the tattoo and how long would it take.  Just funny at this point.
  • Really? This is strange. I hope you A's fans have a good data plan if you are in your car at all. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/oakland-athletics-ending-local-radio-broadcasts-sign-of-times-end-of-era.html

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    CapeGabe said:
    Really? This is strange. I hope you A's fans have a good data plan if you are in your car at all. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/oakland-athletics-ending-local-radio-broadcasts-sign-of-times-end-of-era.html

It's especially bad cause not all of their games are even on TV last time I checked, they had a bunch of radio only broadcasts. I actually occasionally listen to the station they've had A's games on cause it's a lot less commercial heavy than the other sports station here and even they never talked about the A's cause as far as I can tell nobody around here cares except for a handful of very dedicated fans. I wonder if A's games even did as well as their afternoon drive shows cause if not then I can't imagine anybody is lining up to pay for A's radio broadcast rights. I was shocked coming into these forums where somehow like half of you people are A's fans. I know they are sometimes competitive even with no payroll but I don't know how you stay diehard with a team that's constantly insulting you and refuses to even attempt to keep the myriad of great players who roll through oakland. AFAIK they're the only team that insists on operating at a profit. It's ridiculous.
    edited February 20
    CapeGabe said:
    Really? This is strange. I hope you A's fans have a good data plan if you are in your car at all. 

meh. if i listen to the game in my car it's on the MLB At Bat app anyways. they've bounce around stations so much it's hard to even know which station they're even on. sometimes i'd listen to the game after work, i'd get  home, then the next morning when i'd turned on my car i'd  be greeted by some conservative wacko or unexpected gospel music.
    MichelleTeresa from Concord
    edited February 20
    Chinaski said:
    CapeGabe said:

meh. if i listen to the game in my car it's on the MLB At Bat app anyways. they've bounce around stations so much it's hard to even know which station they're even on. sometimes i'd listen to the game after work, i'd get  home, then the next morning when i'd turned on my car i'd  be greeted by some conservative wacko or unexpected gospel music.
    Without reading the article, to my understanding from what I read on their Facebook post yesterday, they are moving all live content to the TuneIn app. A lot of people are confused by this, as it seems to be free for those in the Bay Area but available via subscription only to those outside of the Bay Area. Someone in Sacramento commented that they can still get the games on 1140AM, but I’m not sure how that affects everybody else who doesn’t live in the Bay Area. I’m kind of wondering if I’m going to need to subscribe to TuneIn (something like $9.99/month) rather than using it free if I want to listen to games etc. - and will they be blacking out games on tv to viewers outside of the Bay Area?  Am I still going to be able to watch on NBC Sports (tv or app)?  Will the live game audio still stream on the At Bat app?  It’s all sort of coming across as a way to cater to local fans only and the rest of us are just kinda screwed.  I dunno if I’m fond of this change, but it's possible that I don't have a firm understanding of what exactly the changes will encompass.

Edit:  I just read the article and it says that the games will still be available on the radio for markets outside of the Bay Area, including Redding (the closest market to me).  So, that's good. :smile:
    First game of the spring season starts tomorrow evening!  :heart:
    I am *so* ready for some good A's baseball!
    Chinaski
    i think it's ok to start an MLB 2020 thread!
    Michelle