Coronavirus / COVID-19

2456763

Comments

  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'd be willing to get infected so medical personnel could study me, as long as I didn't get fired.

  • It's not like buying enough canned goods to make hearty soups for a month hadn't crossed my mind. 

    Shut-ins for the win!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    CapeGabe said:

    It's not like buying enough canned goods to make hearty soups for a month hadn't crossed my mind. 

    Shut-ins for the win!
    Like this?


    Teresa from ConcordCapeGabenstinson
  • This seems to be worse than originally thought.

    What is interesting is the ripple effect that is coming from China withholding certain exports. Either by quarantined workers slowing the whole supply chain or withholding products for export they need (like surgical masks) there is going to be a huge shortage from anything made in China.

    Maybe importing all goods into the USA instead of producing some of them is a bad idea after all?

    Now with the recent outbreaks in Italy & Seoul I think it is time for me to start working on the disaster prepper kit.

  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    CapeGabe said:
    This seems to be worse than originally thought.

    What is interesting is the ripple effect that is coming from China withholding certain exports. Either by quarantined workers slowing the whole supply chain or withholding products for export they need (like surgical masks) there is going to be a huge shortage from anything made in China.

    Maybe importing all goods into the USA instead of producing some of them is a bad idea after all?

    Now with the recent outbreaks in Italy & Seoul I think it is time for me to start working on the disaster prepper kit.


    I guess I don't know your age, so maybe you are in the at-risk group. But are you worried about anyone specific? Those of us who aren't very young or very old should be fine. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    1000 pt DOW drop today after Xi confessed China failed in containing it.

    I can pretty much all but confirm that Coronavirus fucked over my trip to Tokyo in April.  99% sure that is going to be cancelled.  My wife and I are super bummed about that.

    It's also wreaking havoc on H-Town's Chinatown restaurant scene.  Local news is reporting about it.  We have a really thriving Asian restaurant scene that was growing fast but now no one wants to go out to eat at these places and many restaurants are having to fire staff, reduce their hours and even a few have closed.  
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    cdrive said:

    It's also wreaking havoc on H-Town's Chinatown restaurant scene.  Local news is reporting about it.  We have a really thriving Asian restaurant scene that was growing fast but now no one wants to go out to eat at these places and many restaurants are having to fire staff, reduce their hours and even a few have closed.  

    What the hell, really? Do people think this food is all being imported from China? There has been a pretty racist element to the reporting of this so far but what do people think makes their local restaurant scene dangerous?

  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 24
    cdrive said:

    It's also wreaking havoc on H-Town's Chinatown restaurant scene.  Local news is reporting about it.  We have a really thriving Asian restaurant scene that was growing fast but now no one wants to go out to eat at these places and many restaurants are having to fire staff, reduce their hours and even a few have closed.  

    What the hell, really? Do people think this food is all being imported from China? There has been a pretty racist element to the reporting of this so far but what do people think makes their local restaurant scene dangerous?


    It's probably just pattern matching ape brain thinking. This all started during the Chinese new year when people were traveling to see family, and some of these people are more likely to have Chinese family, etc. 

    God, I really wish we had distinct words for light racism (this), medium racism (having unfounded beliefs), and heavy racism (harmful actions).
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Yeah it’s messed up. Some coworkers and I are going to make an extra effort to drop in for lunch and support the area.  So many restaurants there I’d be bummed if they closed and so many cool new restaurants, new ones every week it seems like that are in the fragile infancy stage.


    JaimieTbizmarkiefader
  • JaimieT said:

    I guess I don't know your age, so maybe you are in the at-risk group. But are you worried about anyone specific? Those of us who aren't very young or very old should be fine. 
    I'm not in a severely dangerous age category at 50 but the whistleblower doctor that died was 37. They are shutting down entire Italian cities. Due to earlier and continuing Chinese lies this is way worse than earlier thought. Mortality rate is lower than SARS or MERS so far but the infection & incubation time is much higher. Plus we won't know the true mortality rate until after seeing what happens it Italy. Then we'll know for sure how much the Chinese fudged the numbers.


    What the hell, really? Do people think this food is all being imported from China? There has been a pretty racist element to the reporting of this so far but what do people think makes their local restaurant scene dangerous?


    I don't think it's that crazy to think that way. Not entirely thought all the way out but understandable thinking. Chinese immigrants live in Chinatown, many go back to visit and bring virus, with over a month long incubation, back. Now what makes them think that if it's down the street it's going to stay there is the stretching of the mind.

    JaimieTBeth
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I moved the majority of my 401k to money market this morning.....  I had it pretty aggressive previously...
    Aww_PHuuCkBeth
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    cdrive said:
    I moved the majority of my 401k to money market this morning.....  I had it pretty aggressive previously...

    You think this is the start of the big crash?

    I need to buy $500 worth of Roth IRA, but I'm going to try to time the drop lower...
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 26
    CapeGabe said:
    JaimieT said:

    I guess I don't know your age, so maybe you are in the at-risk group. But are you worried about anyone specific? Those of us who aren't very young or very old should be fine. 
    I'm not in a severely dangerous age category at 50 but the whistleblower doctor that died was 37. They are shutting down entire Italian cities. Due to earlier and continuing Chinese lies this is way worse than earlier thought. Mortality rate is lower than SARS or MERS so far but the infection & incubation time is much higher. Plus we won't know the true mortality rate until after seeing what happens it Italy. Then we'll know for sure how much the Chinese fudged the numbers.


    BTW, you have a 1.3% chance of death. (which isn't nothing!)

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

    I have a 1 in 500 chance of dying, if infected.  B)
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    JaimieT said:
    cdrive said:
    I moved the majority of my 401k to money market this morning.....  I had it pretty aggressive previously...

    You think this is the start of the big crash?

    I need to buy $500 worth of Roth IRA, but I'm going to try to time the drop lower...
    Man I dunno but I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  There was a decent market correction this morning that is holding so far (and it should be said obviously I am in no way a financial investment expert), but I just don't see it improving. 

    I guess if I explain my reasoning further it will get into Swizzbold territory, but I'm actually going to preparation shop during lunch today.  Growing up in Houston has taught me that stores can get stripped of everything in the matter of a day.  And the head of the CDC literally just made a statement yesterday that it's a matter of when not if pertaining to a spread in the US.  And going on she said 'people need to start to prepare for a severe disruption to normal daily life in the near term.'  Juxtapose that with the WH at the same time going out there sounding like Baghdad Bob and I'm ready to buy cases of water & ramen.   
  • As a person of Chinese descent who lives in Europe, the paranoia locally here is pretty crazy. Just walking on the streets, I'd see people staring and I've heard some of my friends say that people would bluntly start talking about the coronavirus after seeing them. It's a bit sad that in times of an epidemic some people choose to side-eye those who have nothing in common with the people who are responsible for the inadequate control effort, except their race. Oh well. I do live in a somewhat conservative town where immigrants are not extremely popular, but this whole thing has just made it just a bit worse than before.
    DeecdriveAww_PHuuCk
  • Friendly neighborhood epidemiologist here...  I teach infectious disease epidemiology so I have been following this from the jump.  Until today, I really haven't been all that concerned. 70k cases in a country with one billion people and cities with population densities that makes NYC look rural has resulted in a rate of 7 cases per 100,000 population. That is REALLY rare. Add to that a low mortality rate, we aren't looking at the 1918 flu pandemic which wiped out somewhere around 50+ million people.  But now, the CDC is announcing that it's on its way, San Francisco just declared a state of emergency (I know someone whose flight to SF was cancelled from Memphis?!?), I am with you, @cdrive, I am seriously going to start hoarding cold medicine and food. I have been through a "snow storm" here in the south...  Can't imagine what the threat of an "epidemic" would do to this city.  
    awookieeJaimieTcdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @ray_x03 I'm really sorry to hear you're experiencing that.  A lot of ignorant people out there. 

    @Vikki12 ; Cooool! A real infectious disease epidemiologist in the thread!

    Just so you know I wasn't lying:

    3 cases of ramen, 3 cases of water, a whole bunch of canned goods and extra toiletries.  #prepped! The store was completely wiped out of hand sanitizer...
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • JaimieT said:

    BTW, you have a 1.3% chance of death. (which isn't nothing!)

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

    I have a 1 in 500 chance of dying, if infected.  B)

    If you told me I had a 1.3% chance of hitting Powerball I wouldn't be able to sleep until the drawing so I'm not sure how to feel about that number.

  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 26
    God damn it, why didn't I read these new comments before placing my grocery pickup order at Whole Foods? I would have bought more food!

    Well..... nothing I can do to fix it.......... no way I'm actually going to walk into the grocery story............ too much effort....

    Easier to just beg food off of some family when I haven't eaten in 3 days. I am but 1 person.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    CapeGabe said:
    JaimieT said:

    I guess I don't know your age, so maybe you are in the at-risk group. But are you worried about anyone specific? Those of us who aren't very young or very old should be fine. 
    I'm not in a severely dangerous age category at 50 but the whistleblower doctor that died was 37. They are shutting down entire Italian cities. Due to earlier and continuing Chinese lies this is way worse than earlier thought. Mortality rate is lower than SARS or MERS so far but the infection & incubation time is much higher. Plus we won't know the true mortality rate until after seeing what happens it Italy. Then we'll know for sure how much the Chinese fudged the numbers.


    BTW, you have a 1.3% chance of death. (which isn't nothing!)

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

    I have a 1 in 500 chance of dying, if infected.  B)
    And have a 499 chance of becoming a zombie?
  • JaimieT said:
    God damn it, why didn't I read these new comments before placing my grocery pickup order at Whole Foods? I would have bought more food!

    Well..... nothing I can do to fix it.......... no way I'm actually going to walk into the grocery story............ too much effort....


    This is how Americans will be saved from the virus...  we're too lazy to go outside or anywhere and get exposed  :)
    cdriveJaimieTawookiee
  • cdrive said:
    @ray_x03 I'm really sorry to hear you're experiencing that.  A lot of ignorant people out there. 

    @Vikki12 ; Cooool! A real infectious disease epidemiologist in the thread!

    Just so you know I wasn't lying:

    3 cases of ramen, 3 cases of water, a whole bunch of canned goods and extra toiletries.  #prepped! The store was completely wiped out of hand sanitizer...
    I'm not seeing any face masks in that stash sir. Time to level up your survival game and get a couple before they sell out when the inevitable panic sets in for the community. They been selling out at my local Daiso over in Jersey.



  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Don't worry folks. Mike Pence is in charge. The coronavirus will be prayed away soon enough. 
  • Breaking fake news: President Trump just cured polio
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited February 27

    Got ‘em my dude. Thanks to my in-laws we’ve had some since January!


    Aww_PHuuCk
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 27
    You need the vents! These just suck in air from the sides... 

    So it'll never get to the point I need a mask, but I dropped $60 on an allergy mask last year (for pollen) that has a vent. It's graded to filter out germs, supposedly. So I got mine.
  • Quick tip. Everyone is focused on masks. 

    Buy gloves. Most places still have plenty in stock. But gloves are just as important. Put them on when you leave the house and take them off when you get home. 

    T
    Aww_PHuuCkJaimieTcdrive
  • CapeGabe said:
    JaimieT said:

    BTW, you have a 1.3% chance of death. (which isn't nothing!)

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

    I have a 1 in 500 chance of dying, if infected.  B)

    If you told me I had a 1.3% chance of hitting Powerball I wouldn't be able to sleep until the drawing so I'm not sure how to feel about that number.

    That's a 1.3% chance if you get sick, which is also a very low chance. 
  • Going to weigh in on the mask issue...  The reason why masks, in general, aren't usually recommended are 1) user error with the surgical masks and 2) the N95 masks (the ones with the vents) are usually overkill.  Unless we live in a densely populated city, we don't really come into contact with people coughing within 3-6 feet of us all that often so the N95 mask is overkill for most of the general population. They are best left for medical personnel. The surgical mask does let some air in so they aren't as effective as the N95 at keeping droplets from getting to your nasal passages/eyes, but largely because people don't pinch the nose thingy (technical term) down tight, tie knots in the elastic if you have a tiny pea head (like me) to keep it tight across the face, etc.  Also, the mask gives a false sense of security and people tend to fall right back into normal habits while wearing it, rubbing their eyes, poking their fingers under their mask to scratch an itch, etc. which defeats the purpose.  If you have touched something with the virus, you just contaminated the mask and introduced the virus to your face.  Lastly, when you get home, if the front of the mask is contaminated and you take it off incorrectly, i.e. grab it by the front and not the ear loops, you just contaminated your hands.  

    There is a quote in Contagion about the average person touching their face 2 or 3 thousand times a day.  That is the high end of the research, but it is high!  Minimum one thousand per day. I have shown this movie in my class a few times and it is hilarious to watch my students suddenly become hyper aware of the fact that they were all leaning their face on their hands while watching. This is where the masks can help, it reduces that number substantially, at least while you are in public, and gives the virus a chance to die and/or you can get to a place to wash your damn hands.  

    All that being said, if you ever find yourself taking care of someone with a highly contagions respiratory infection, GET  MASKS!  Put one on the patient so they aren't spewing virus everywhere when they cough and wear one yourself!

    A random aside, the is the first time in my 20 year career I don't have to explain to people what I do for a living.  Usually the conversation goes "Epidemiologist?  That's skin right?" Over 80k people sick, but I am finally relevant.
    JaimieTcdriveCapeGabe
  • I’m in a pickle. My family and MIL FIL have a 7 day Caribbean cruise booked in 2 weeks. With the virus in Latin America, and a cruise ship in Caribbean already denied ports due to a crew member with the flu, we’re questioning the trip. 

    This morning two cases popped up in Mexico. I hope Norwegian or the government will make the decision for us. It’s looking more and more risky.
Sign In or Register to comment.