Winds of Who Cares

edited February 2020 in Game of Thrones
I was recently talking to someone who's read the Songs of Ice and Fire series since the beginning with me. We talked about how we both were dreading re-reading A Dance with Dragons because have forgotten so much since 2011. As a test I started listening to the audiobook when I could and it couldn't hold my attention. We were both leaning towards not reading Winds of Winter and just reading an online synopsis.

The article that came out this week had a few tidbits that have cemented my position. Winds of Winter delayed due to changes of the ending. It is already over 3,000 pages.

Edit: I was wrong. 3,000 pages for last two book estimated by GRRM. 

I'm out, I'm so fucking out. Why would I do that to myself? With the book come with a disclaimer to not have sharp objects nearby or there is a greater chance you will impulsively cut your wrists.

GRRM may not be my bitch but he is certainly to blame. He had an amazing world and managed to turn it all to ash. His inability to finish the book series ruined the show and probably the books as well.

As an early fan it is disappointing.
Flukesblacksunrise7

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    A three-thousand-page book had better be the most interesting, captivating, enthralling thing I've ever read or I absolutely will not make it through.
    CapeGabeblacksunrise7
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    While I would not be shocked to see GRRM release a 3,000 page book, I don't know where the article came from but I believe almost nothing I see regarding him. Also keep in mind the books they made him split into two are only about 1,700 pages combined. Maybe since there has been such a long wait, there is an expectation for a bigger book but I'm skeptical of that many pages.
    skinner_box
  • edited February 2020
    While I would not be shocked to see GRRM release a 3,000 page book, I don't know where the article came from but I believe almost nothing I see regarding him. Also keep in mind the books they made him split into two are only about 1,700 pages combined. Maybe since there has been such a long wait, there is an expectation for a bigger book but I'm skeptical of that many pages.

My bad. I was wrong on the 3000 pages. It was in almost every article I read but I misunderstood. It is over 3000 pages for the last two books combined. That is from GRRM blog.

First,  that is still way too much.

Second,  how does he know? Either he has written both books before releasing WoW or he is guessing which he can be extremely wrong as all his books end up way larger than he intended. 

The funny thing is what made his first three books great was his not wanting editor's interference but the remaining books could really have used a ton of editor's interference. 

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    CapeGabe said:

My bad. I was wrong on the 3000 pages. It was in almost every article I read but I misunderstood. It is over 3000 pages for the last two books combined. That is from GRRM blog.

First,  that is still way too much.

Second,  how does he know? Either he has written both books before releasing WoW or he is guessing which he can be extremely wrong as all his books end up way larger than he intended. 

The funny thing is what made his first three books great was his not wanting editor's interference but the remaining books could really have used a ton of editor's interference. 

Okay, 3,000 for the last two is a lot easier to believe, if he's right. But yeah, that's still a lot of damn pages for two books!

I wholeheartedly agree though about 4&5. I hated how many new characters and places and plots were introduced so late into the story.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I wouldn't immediately blame GRRM for saying the last books were 3,000 pages. Cui bono? The journalists.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I think the delayed bit is wayyyyy more last straw then the number of pages. 
  • I still care.  I love ASOIAF and didn't hate the major story beats of Season 8, so I'm eagerly anticipating Winds and getting the "real" story.

I also thoroughly enjoyed both Feast and Dance, both of which had some of my favorite elements and chapters of ASOIAF.  Even when GRRM meanders in narrative, I still love his prose.
    Elisatpelzy
  • Feast is my favorite GoT book. This is the hill I will die on. 
    ElisaMurderbear
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    A Game of Thrones is the only one I read.  I'm just waiting for you lot to report back on the changes from the show and books' final act(s).  :)
  • It will remain my most anticipated book until it actually comes out. I’ll wait for however long it takes, even if it’s forever. Plenty of other books to read. 

Dance is still my favorite book in the series, depending on what day you ask me. Storm sometimes sneaks in, but nothing really compares to the combined Feast/Dance read. 
  • Now he's just trolling everyone: 

The upcoming video game titled Elden Rings had also George R R Martin as the main story writer. The Winds of Winter is a big book containing several chapters and hence GRRM is giving priority to the projects that could be finished in a short time, delaying TWOW launch date.
    awookieeBroRad33RyanReeseman
    CapeGabe said:
    Now he's just trolling everyone: 

The upcoming video game titled Elden Rings had also George R R Martin as the main story writer. The Winds of Winter is a big book containing several chapters and hence GRRM is giving priority to the projects that could be finished in a short time, delaying TWOW launch date.
    There’s a launch date?  :D
    CapeGabe
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    CapeGabe said:

Have you heard about the North Grove!?
    DoubleA_Ron
  • Freddy said:
    CapeGabe said:

House Forrester: Australian for Beer
    Freddy
  • I "read" all the books via audiobook (for awhile, I was doing a 6hr car drive, round-trip, around once a week, so it was a little easier to plow through the books this way).  Had I actually tried to read a GRRM book, I would have gotten "lost in the woods".  That being said, occasionally, I would zone out while listening to some chapters and what I decided to do was after I would finish a few chapters, I would go online and read a chapter by chapter synopsis of what happened to make sure I a) understood everything that transpired in the chapter and b) didn't completely miss something in the chapter.  So, when Winds comes out, I'll probably do a quick synopsis read of Feast and Dance and then start the audiobook (assuming there is one) for Winds and hope I can find my chapter by chapter breakdown as well.

Schlupp
    Freddy said:
    CapeGabe said:

I miss the Tell Tale playthroughs. Some of the hardest Bald Move laughs I've had. I remember watching one of The Walking Dead Bad Guy Clemintine episodes and thinking "Damn, Cecily is a hell of an on-air talent. I hope she makes it her career."
    DoubleA_Ron
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited March 2020
    Freddy said:
    Freddy said:
    CapeGabe said:

I miss the Tell Tale playthroughs. Some of the hardest Bald Move laughs I've had. I remember watching one of The Walking Dead Bad Guy Clemintine episodes and thinking "Damn, Cecily is a hell of an on-air talent. I hope she makes it her career."
    I watch -- or listen to, rather -- all of the playthroughs with regularity... looking forward to them wrapping up Bad Guy Clem and (hopefully) Life is Strange.  Bald Move Lunches and playthroughs are literally the only reason I subscribe to YT Premium.

Pretty sure it was one of the TWD playthroughs where A.Ron was hassling @Cecily and she busted out the "Hey, no one's paying me to do this shit" line.  Fucking iconic.

Still wish “The Illusion of Choosin’” would have made it onto a Bald Move shirt.
    ken haleFreddy
  • Freddy said:
    Freddy said:
    CapeGabe said:

I watch -- or listen to, rather -- all of the playthroughs with regularity... looking forward to them wrapping up Bad Guy Clem and (hopefully) Life is Strange.  Bald Move Lunches and playthroughs are literally the only reason I subscribe to YT Premium.

Pretty sure it was one of the TWD playthroughs where A.Ron was hassling @Cecily and she busted out the "Hey, no one's paying me to do this shit" line.  Fucking iconic.

Still wish “The Illusion of Choosin’” would have made it onto a Bald Move shirt.

Ditto! They were the best. The playthroughs were why I became a member. Some of the best laughs, Stormin' Norma, the stone n bone, and the potato fucker. Good times.

I would rock that shirt!
    Freddy
  • Original 1999 book reader here. I've read it all twice. Even with the terrible ending of the show I'm still all in. I've loved every book so far and if he wants to write 5000 pages sign me up. I just wish he would actually release them. 
    darwinfeeshyken hale
  • edited March 2020
    If this pandemic lasts 10 more years he might finish:

‘Game of Thrones’ Author George RR Martin Says He’s Writing ‘Winds of Winter’ During Coronavirus Self-Quarantine

JSDCAGiovanniCoryTeresa from ConcordNoeltpelzy
    CapeGabe said:
    If this pandemic lasts 10 more years he might finish:

‘Game of Thrones’ Author George RR Martin Says He’s Writing ‘Winds of Winter’ During Coronavirus Self-Quarantine

Fake news.
    Murderbear
    Whatever he does during the quarantine will be compulsive. Not productive.
  • I'm fully in. Maybe I wouldn't be if the show ending was more satisfying. Also I have questions I feel I was promised the answers to lol. What's up with Quaithe? Why are the seasons weird? How did they defeat the White Walkers the first time around? I could go on lol...

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I feel like GRRM is trying. Probably not as hard as he can, but he wants people to not hate him lol. Sorry for getting morbid about this. A human life is more important than "tits and dragons". However, I think people are really underrating the chances that ASOIAF is finished posthumously. Some of greatest authors of the last couple centuries had posthumously completed works. I think there's 99% chance we still get WoW, if GRRM doesn't finish it himself. There's a 1% chance that GRRM takes legal action to stop that, but who knows. I think there's a 50/50 chance we get Dream of Spring in any form. Maybe like 1:6 odds GRRM completes the series. 
    Ben
  • Well we're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of Dance being released and GRRM still has "hundreds or more" pages to write. He said he wrote hundreds in 2020.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/02/02/reflections-on-a-bad-year/

Honestly just wild when you think about it. 

In the meantime I'm about to dig into the 1200+ pages of "Rhythm of War." Sanderson isn't as good as Martin IMO but I've found the Stormlight Archives to be pretty entertaining and the man has kept up a solid pace of churning out books.
  • I'm firmly in the "I will be pleasantly surprised when it comes out and buy it on release day, but will not lose sleep over worrying when it will be released" camp. I still want him to finish, but I don't think he will. 

awookiee
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This was five and a half years ago lol

• It is amazing how poorly the end of GoT was received. It went from a cultural juggernaut to basically no one who isn't still waiting for book 6 caring about it in less than a year. Fucking wild. I can't think of another show that lost relevance that quickly. Lost maybe? But I still see lost memes (basically only this one though)

The thing that made GoT stand out so much was the world building, that it felt like there was this whole continent with such a rich and interesting history that there are people who are basically scholars on this fictional place. Not everything needs to be like this, but the world was exceptionally well thought out and (almost) every detail was accounted for in some way with a million other details you would never even think about and weren't relevant at all to the main plot. That plus the awesome setup and the great early to middle parts of the story, to betray all that with the ending we got on the show was just bananas. They should have just went straight chalk and did the couple of things people had been waiting for since the 90s like Jon killing the Night King, Arya killing Cersei, etc. People would have still been mad about not having their minds blown but at least you could rewatch the series without feeling like all that setup was pointless
    Giovanniblacksunrise7Noel
  • MrX said:
    Well we're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of Dance being released and GRRM still has "hundreds or more" pages to write. He said he wrote hundreds in 2020.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/02/02/reflections-on-a-bad-year/

Honestly just wild when you think about it. 

In the meantime I'm about to dig into the 1200+ pages of "Rhythm of War." Sanderson isn't as good as Martin IMO but I've found the Stormlight Archives to be pretty entertaining and the man has kept up a solid pace of churning out books.
    Well said. That's exactly how I feel. Sanderson isn't as good as GRRM but at least he can put out a book every three years like clockwork. RoW was my last favorite in the series but still a good read. 

I can't think of any other reason that Martin isn't finishing these books than lack of focus. 
    Giovanni said:

I can't think of any other reason that Martin isn't finishing these books than lack of focus. 

From his comments it seems like it he just doesn't know what to write that will make everyone happy. He seems to take the criticism really personally, especially from the hardcore fans.