Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:

and half of which make up 1 of only 2 plants in North America of that kind.

What do you sell so I can go panic buy a bunch? I really hope it isn't tractors...

I should clarify I assume our competitors have plants in North America or are building them.

Unfortunately, you cannot buy it in the private sector, so you can't panic buy any, but it's steel cable for tires (specifically passenger truck tires in my case).
  • Last I heard, no confirmed cases in West Virginia.  Seems we are a naturally socially distant people.
  • Cory said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:

What do you sell so I can go panic buy a bunch? I really hope it isn't tractors...

I should clarify I assume our competitors have plants in North America or are building them.

Unfortunately, you cannot buy it in the private sector, so you can't panic buy any, but it's steel cable for tires (specifically passenger truck tires in my case).

I'll go out now and panic buy a bunch of tires just to be safe.

• CoryCory New Scotland
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:

Much appreciated.
    If you want to run around dealerships slashing Michelins, that would help too. lol
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Cory said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:

Much appreciated.
    If you want to run around dealerships slashing Michelins, that would help too. lol

CapeGabe
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cory said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Cory said:

Much appreciated.

Don't worry Bib, I wouldn't hurt you.
    calebthrower
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    maybe it’s cause I just finished The New Pope but this is really beautiful 

https://twitter.com/siskathleen/status/1238395121663643648?s=21
    ChinaskiJaimieTMichelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    They closed my apartment gym. I was using that gym to manage my symptoms for a medical condition I've been dealing with for 1+ year. I fucking hate this shit. 
    MichaelG
  • GanGan
    edited March 2020
    Its getting pretty scary.

Stores running out of stuff.
    All k-12 schools closed.
    Many colleges online only now
    Many people temp laid off work
    Parks closed
    People acting crazy

I was told that in one county in PA that they did the same thing as Italy and closed down everything except gas, groceries and pharmacy.Edit: France is doing the same.

When will this shit show end?
    edited March 2020
    Unlike Italy, everyone has a fucking gun here. By all means, please aggravate our populace by denying them most forms of relaxation.

At some point, what are we trying to stay alive for?
  • Gan said:

Certainly not anytime soon. The "I'm healthy" demographic is on the lose all over the world.

The US bars are packed with St Patrick Day parties this weekend. No virus can stop the tough American drunks.

I also saw a photo of a UK bar packed shoulder to shoulder. 

Lot of orphans I guess because they don't seem to give a shit about their parents and grandparents.

I'm #teamCorona now. The baby boomers had a good run.  :D
    hisdudeness915Freddy
  • CapeGabe said:
    Gan said:

Certainly not anytime soon. The "I'm healthy" demographic is on the lose all over the world.

The US bars are packed with St Patrick Day parties this weekend. No virus can stop the tough American drunks.

Lot of orphans I guess because they don't seem to give a shit about their parents and grandparents.

I live with my almost 70yo father. He has a lot of health issues. Im trying to stay as isolated as possible. Im thinking about going to my sisters (she is in rehab) and staying at her apartment.
  • They’re predicting peak hospitalizations in May in NYC. 
  • I live around the Kips Bay area in nyc and the bars/restaurants have been packed around me yesterday night and tonight. As much news as there has been, a lot of people are not taking this seriously
    Warning: radical thoughts I'm having about a radical time

When this started, and all the jokes about how introverts already practice social distancing were flying around, I thought it was so optimistic. Even as an introvert, I get a ton of my mojo from being out in society. I just don't like talking to people all the time; but I enjoy the vibes. How long can we go on fighting people over grocery shelves, told to stay in our apartments, not being allowed to travel, to vacation, limited in the release exercise can give us, and now people can't hang out in bars and socialize? How long before we're organizing secret hangouts? Why are we waking up, living shitty lives, and going to bed, indefinitely?

Some extroverts are defying this bullshit? Good for them. I always thought humanity should go to its death without compromising on what makes us feel alive. 

We're a social species who need socialization like we need air, and if it means some older people can't get air a few months from now, well, that's not how the human brain reasons. I'm not sure why it should change now.
    edited March 2020
    I really think this is part of the systemic problem of rich Americans not giving a shit about the average person. They will cancel our lives if there's a hint that they might not get a hospital room when they need one. This isn't humanity coming together to fight something; this is the same pro-rich bullshit. Maybe the war happens over this.

People are calm right now because they're still shocked OR they think this'll be over in a month.
    Elisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    CapeGabe said:

I haven't seen more than a few twitter threads on this so I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like England's plan is to try and spread it among the least vulnerable as quickly as possible banking on some kind of herd immunity. Boris said something about his political hero being the mayor from Jaws who kept the beaches open so I don't know wtf they're doing over there. Everything is terrifying right now. Super excited to just roll from this back into California fire season, hopefully quarantine doesn't intersect with power outages. 
    ken haleElisa
  • edited March 2020
    You're going to end up quarantined anyway, might as well not kill a bunch of people and voluntarily isolate now. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-cautionary-tale-italy-dont-do-what-we-did/?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true
    MarciElisa
  • Hey folks

I was doing pretty well, taking things relatively seriously but not like a zombie apocalypse prepper or TP black market trader.

Then I read this tweet thread:
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1238817274590629888.html

I'd say I'm normally pretty level headed but this is putting the willies up me.
    hisdudeness915Marciken haleElisa
  • This stuff really gets my blood boiling. 

-----
    Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”
    He thought about it more. “I honestly feel like it’s a public service,” he added. “I’m being paid for my public service.”
    Chris Anderson, an Amazon seller in central Pennsylvania, said he and a friend had driven around Ohio, buying about 10,000 masks from stores. He used coupons to buy packs of 10 for around $15 each and resold them for $40 to $50. After Amazon’s cut and other costs, he estimates, he made a $25,000 profit.

Mr. Anderson is now holding 500 packs of antibacterial wipes after Amazon blocked him from selling them for $19 each, up from $16 weeks earlier. He bought the packs for $3 each.

-----

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

I understand these guys are trying to make a living, but this is why things get f'ed up.

• Giovanni said:
    This stuff really gets my blood boiling. 

-----
    Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”
    He thought about it more. “I honestly feel like it’s a public service,” he added. “I’m being paid for my public service.”
    Chris Anderson, an Amazon seller in central Pennsylvania, said he and a friend had driven around Ohio, buying about 10,000 masks from stores. He used coupons to buy packs of 10 for around $15 each and resold them for $40 to $50. After Amazon’s cut and other costs, he estimates, he made a $25,000 profit.

Mr. Anderson is now holding 500 packs of antibacterial wipes after Amazon blocked him from selling them for $19 each, up from $16 weeks earlier. He bought the packs for $3 each.

-----

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

I understand these guys are trying to make a living, but this is why things get f'ed up.

Can’t a swat team be dispatched to this Asshole’s house  and  procure those supplies , with or without his consent. 
    JaimieT
  • I have zero problems with people robin hooding that guys supply. Shouldnt be an evil asshole.
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    The OH pharmacy board approved remote work for technicians and pharmacists (with the exception of dispensing) so IT at my job is prepping for all of us to move to work at home for the next month or so. Definitely alleviates some of my concern about my son’s daycare potentially closing for the next 3 weeks like OH schools and will allow us to stay home more. Thankfully I’m a couponer and have a decent stockpile of food and supplies before everyone started clearing shelves out. 
    Elisa
  • Hey folks

I was doing pretty well, taking things relatively seriously but not like a zombie apocalypse prepper or TP black market trader.

Then I read this tweet thread:
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1238817274590629888.html

I'd say I'm normally pretty level headed but this is putting the willies up me.
    It is so scary. My sister heads up the food service department for a somewhat rural hospital in the midwest and she's freaking out a bit. She says they not only are not prepared, but they're not even starting to understand how prepared they need to be. She says they're nearly maxed out when things are normal. And while people are complaining about having to stay home, she's wondering when she'll even get to be home, and how quickly she'll get infected. She's in very good health but still, she's 61, and I'm very worried for her.

I spent a lot of the day yesterday trying to talk sense into people on Facebook who are still acting like this is no big deal, bragging about how many times a day they're still going out to eat, how the media is blowing this out of proportion. I tried to explain the exponential nature of how this spreads and how you're infectious long before you even know anything is wrong. Unfortunately, the unconvinced are not listening and won't until people they know start getting seriously ill and dying. 'Cause this is 'Murica and you can't tell me what to do! I luv my freedumb!
    ----
    From a piece by Megan McArdle in the Washington Post:
    "There’s an old brain teaser that goes like this: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lilypad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on.

Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?”

The answer is 47 days. Moreover, at day 40, you’ll barely know the lily pads are there.
    But go back to those lily pads: When something dangerous is growing exponentially, everything looks fine until it doesn’t. In the early days of the Wuhan epidemic, when no one was taking precautions, the number of cases appears to have doubled every four to five days."
    ----
    On a lighter note, since I didn't hoard enough toilet paper to last me 5 lifetimes, and the stores can't keep it in stock, looks like I'll be joining the much-discussed Bald Move bidet brigade in order to conserve as much as possible! I went back through the old posts to see the recommendations and everything. So here's to new adventures?!

Giovanniken haleDee
  • JaimieT said:

When this started, and all the jokes about how introverts already practice social distancing were flying around, I thought it was so optimistic. Even as an introvert, I get a ton of my mojo from being out in society. I just don't like talking to people all the time; but I enjoy the vibes. How long can we go on fighting people over grocery shelves, told to stay in our apartments, not being allowed to travel, to vacation, limited in the release exercise can give us, and now people can't hang out in bars and socialize? How long before we're organizing secret hangouts? Why are we waking up, living shitty lives, and going to bed, indefinitely?

Some extroverts are defying this bullshit? Good for them. I always thought humanity should go to its death without compromising on what makes us feel alive. 

We're a social species who need socialization like we need air, and if it means some older people can't get air a few months from now, well, that's not how the human brain reasons. I'm not sure why it should change now.
    I really don't agree with this sentiment, and I think it's unfortunately very representative of how too many people in America are thinking right now.  I'm reading a lot of news from Europe right now about the measures those countries are starting to take, the shortages they are experiencing across all areas of society, from groceries to medical supplies to hospital beds, and the way that their citizens are kind of coming together to recognize the need to assume some personal hardship at this time.  

Americans won't fucking do that.  We won't be singing patriotic songs together from our balconies or joining together in applause across our cities from our separate homes, thanking our public health professionals.

No, we will be cussing out doctors and nurses who tell us we can't get an appointment for our latest hypochondriac panic, hoarding supplies like gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer that should be reserved for hospitals, bitching and defying it outright if our cities try to impose any kind of quarantine, and killing each other for toilet paper a week from now instead of just washing our asses.  Whereas most countries around the world will mitigate the damage from this virus through some sense of collective responsibility, America, at best, will be dealing with the fallout of this for much longer, if we don't outright devolve into complete lawless individualism.  

I really don't think that cutting back on our "socialization" for a few weeks or maybe months is as important to us as "air," and the thought of elderly people dying as they struggle for breath in their homes because they can't get a hospital bed, much less a ventilator, isn't something that I think should be so easily dismissed.  But I know it will be, even when it's not just "some older people" that are dying from this, because this is America, and our right to not have our social lives interrupted far outweighs any sense of civic duty we feel these days.
    Marciadobo1148CapeGabeDeeElisaGiovanniFlukes
    edited March 2020
    ken hale said:
    JaimieT said:

I really don't agree with this sentiment, and I think it's unfortunately very representative of how too many people in America are thinking right now.  I'm reading a lot of news from Europe right now about the measures those countries are starting to take, the shortages they are experiencing across all areas of society, from groceries to medical supplies to hospital beds, and the way that their citizens are kind of coming together to recognize the need to assume some personal hardship at this time.  

Americans won't fucking do that.  We won't be singing patriotic songs together from our balconies or joining together in applause across our cities from our separate homes, thanking our public health professionals.

No, we will be cussing out doctors and nurses who tell us we can't get an appointment for our latest hypochondriac panic, hoarding supplies like gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer that should be reserved for hospitals, bitching and defying it outright if our cities try to impose any kind of quarantine, and killing each other for toilet paper a week from now instead of just washing our asses.  Whereas most countries around the world will mitigate the damage from this virus through some sense of collective responsibility, America, at best, will be dealing with the fallout of this for much longer, if we don't outright devolve into complete lawless individualism.  

I really don't think that cutting back on our "socialization" for a few weeks or maybe months is as important to us as "air," and the thought of elderly people dying as they struggle for breath in their homes because they can't get a hospital bed, much less a ventilator, isn't something that I think should be so easily dismissed.  But I know it will be, even when it's not just "some older people" that are dying from this, because this is America, and our right to not have our social lives interrupted far outweighs any sense of civic duty we feel these days.

I don't think Americans are unique. 

This is just more American exceptionalism bullshit.
  • Every time I think this administration can't possibly get worse, they somehow still manage to surprise me.

"The Trump administration has offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine, German media have reported.

The German government is trying to fight off what it sees as an aggressive takeover bid by the US, the broadsheet Die Welt reports, citing German government circles.

The US president had offered the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac “large sums of money” to gain exclusive access to their work, wrote Die Welt.

According to an anonymous source quoted in the newspaper, Trump was doing everything to secure a vaccine against the coronavirus for the US, “but for the US only”."

Giovanni
  • JaimieT said:

I don't think Americans are unique. 

This is just more American exceptionalism bullshit.
    But the psychological phenomenon of "American exceptionalism," which is absolutely real, is exactly what makes us unique in, and uniquely unequipped to deal with, a situation like this.  That's my whole argument.  I do hope I'm wrong.
    MarciDee
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2020
    The part that scares me the most is when people walk around like 3,312 is even remotely the number in the U.S. The fundamental lack of understanding of what "confirmed cases" numbers mean when it comes to something this contagious and with this long of an incubation period is shocking. I have one St Patricks day event on Tuesday at my local dive bar and short of some really good news or serious drop in rise of cases in the Dallas-Ft Worth area, I'm not going. Meanwhile, my facebook feed is filled with people out and about like just because our town (30 minutes from a hot zone) doesn't have a "confirmed" case, it means we are in the clear for now.
    JaimieTMarciCapeGabeMichelleDeeGiovanni