Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    Cory said:
    Dee said:
    @Hatorian It’s nearly the end of March and it’s 33 today. Bring your boardies. 
    Its 4am, my cat is whining and crying to go outside and its -1. Trade you.
    Cat and cold weather? YES PLEASE!
    Two unfixed cats that I have to keep separated until I can get them fixed, hopefully in a month.
  • My wife (who's pregnant) started to have a fever last night, our kid did too. They've both been coughing for a few days now, but the initial diagnosis was just a sinus infection.

She had another phone call with a doctor today. They told her to assume we have covid19 and to quaratine for 14 days. They also told her they would only do testing if the symptoms became critical. 

I've started to develop a sore throat too. Which is to be expected when locked up in a small house with two people coughing all over the place. 

It's funny how it takes a pandemic to show the discrepancy between testing for the rich/famous and the rest of the country. 

Luckily were not in the high risk category, but you always worry a little when someone is pregnant. 
    JaimieTcdriveNoelElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @Giovanni They'll both be fine. But being sick is never fun. Hang in there.
    Giovanniken hale
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    @Giovanni I have seen a lot of reports that Covid-19 patients who delivered while sick gave birth to healthy babies.  How far along is your wife?

Also, @everyone, a peer reviewed study out of France led by Dr. Didier Raoult showed very promising results in reducing viral load to undetectable levels in as little as 6 days using a publicly available generic malaria drug called hydroxychloroquine in combination with azithromycin.  This study was very small (<100) and was not blinded at all.  This means the studies success could just be statistical noise.  Results were 100% of cases were reduced to no detectable viral load by day 6 on the drugs.  It looks like there are a couple of studies starting now at larger scale that will be double-blinded to verify the results.  In the meantime, at least Belgium and some of France have decided to go ahead and start treating patients with the combo.  Here is an article about it on medscape (free account required to read.)

This also matches pretty well with information published by Chinese doctors at the Department of Science and Tech of Guangdong Province and the Health Commission of Guangdong Province.
    GiovanniElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Giovanni awww man that suuuuuucks.  I'm sorry to hear what you're going through.  Hang in there man.   
    Giovanni
  • Thanks for the encouragement @JaimieT

@JoshTheBlack only about five months. So quite a ways off. I read about pregnant women in China all having healthy babies, so not super worried. If you heard her coughing though you might be concerned. :p 
  • Well, that didn't take long. My job got "suspended indefinitely" starting tomorrow. I figured it was coming at some point before long because we do work for the theme parks and places like Disney Stores, but I wasn't expecting it quite this soon. I guess I'll have lots of time to make art now.
    cdriveJaimieTken hale
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey, wanted to drop a thread that I think accurately represents my current thoughts on the crisis:
    I like this guy, he does a lot of good videos on socio-political topics. But I agree with everything he said in that thread. We are at a turning point. Our measures are effective even with the haphazard, disorganized way we've been going about it. Things will get worse over the next 2-3 weeks and then they might get better. After 6-8 weeks, assuming we ramp up testing, we can be at a level to start implementing the South Korean protocols and get back to mostly business as usual until effective treatments or a vaccine is available.

This is a big deal, and we'll all be taking financial hits. But honestly, I'm kind of blown away by the economic relief measures being talked about by *conservative* leadership, and have hope things will get even better. I expect to lose A LOT during this, but maybe most of us can survive financially, and we can take care of the worst hit among us with special relief, etc.

This can really change the way people see the world.

Marcicdrivehisdudeness915JaimieTNoelSchluppJSDCAGiovanniFlukesMichelleand 4 others.
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    OliviaD said:
    So my work is still trying to figure out the logistics of sending hundreds of techs and pharmacists home with the correct equipment so we can perform remote entry. Yesterday I was refilling my water and started talking to a coworker who had been on PTO for a couple of weeks and I asked the usual polite water cooler coworker questions. “How was your time off?” “ do anything fun?” And this is how I learned my coworker just returned from a two week vacation in the UK and defied quarantine protocol by coming to work. So there’s that. 
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!  I can't believe they just stood there breathing their corona breath into your face and spreading it all over Cincinnati!!!
    OliviaD
  • Hey, wanted to drop a thread that I think accurately represents my current thoughts on the crisis:
    I like this guy, he does a lot of good videos on socio-political topics. But I agree with everything he said in that thread. We are at a turning point. Our measures are effective even with the haphazard, disorganized way we've been going about it. Things will get worse over the next 2-3 weeks and then they might get better. After 6-8 weeks, assuming we ramp up testing, we can be at a level to start implementing the South Korean protocols and get back to mostly business as usual until effective treatments or a vaccine is available.

This is a big deal, and we'll all be taking financial hits. But honestly, I'm kind of blown away by the economic relief measures being talked about by *conservative* leadership, and have hope things will get even better. I expect to lose A LOT during this, but maybe most of us can survive financially, and we can take care of the worst hit among us with special relief, etc.

This article in the Atlantic written by 2 public health experts also lays out a good path forward. Key is tests. Lots of tests, for a long time!! If we can do that we won't have to keep up these extreme social distancing measures indefinitely.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/how-we-beat-coronavirus/608389/
    Elisa
  • This poor guy didn't have any way to know, but I wonder how many people he spread the virus to while at Disney World and Universal.

Marci said:
    Well, that didn't take long. My job got "suspended indefinitely" starting tomorrow. I figured it was coming at some point before long because we do work for the theme parks and places like Disney Stores, but I wasn't expecting it quite this soon. I guess I'll have lots of time to make art now.

Welcome to the club! Also trying to make art, but hard to do when my mind is stressed. 
    Marci
    My mom called today. I haven't talked to her or my dad on the phone for over 2 years, although I did see her at the Christmases. I answered. It was a brief conversation about Coronavirus worries; yet another surreal event, for me, in this post- world.

She only convinced my dad yesterday that he should be concerned about his health. But he's still not careful... he only worries about giving it to my 5-month-old niece, so he's careful around her. 
    Marcihisdudeness915cdriveCory
  • JaimieT said:

Welcome to the club! Also trying to make art, but hard to do when my mind is stressed. 
    Yeah, it is hard to do when you’re stressed. I’d been enjoying my regular work, which is busy but not super taxing mentally. I’m going to try to get myself into a good routine so I can actually get some stuff done while I have the time. Also gonna KonMari the shit outta the house because I’ve been wanting to do that.
    JaimieT
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Day 1 of working from home.  It's a weird transition but I can easily get used to it; I'm really into it, actually.  Any of you who have wfh before can relate. :)   And, our county is putting a shelter-in-place motion into effect at 11:59 tonight through (tentatively) April 6.  

Sending love to the community here today.  We can definitely all use a good dose of it right now. :heart:
    MarciJaimieTMurderbearcdriveNoelbridgy1112Elisa
  • Pretty cool that this has prompted people like Willie Nelson and Paul Simon to be on a Twitch stream tonight. I wonder if this whole situation will finally bring live streaming to older generations.

https://luckreunion.com/tilfurthernotice
    cdriveMichelleElisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hey, wanted to drop a thread that I think accurately represents my current thoughts on the crisis:

@A_Ron_Hubbard for PM of North America!

Not leaving out the rest of the world, but I don't want to speak for every continent.
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Pretty cool that this has prompted people like Willie Nelson and Paul Simon to be on a Twitch stream tonight. I wonder if this whole situation will finally bring live streaming to older generations.

https://luckreunion.com/tilfurthernotice
    Ooh and Kurt Vile! Thanks, man. And yes I think we will learn much from this. 
    johnnytruant
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited March 2020
    Sup my dudes, long time no post! Just thought I'd drop in here to share that Scribd are giving anyone who wants it a 30 days free subscription without any card details needed, lots of audiobooks and ebooks to ride out some of this quarantine. Here's the link for sign up!

Been a wild week here in the UK, I'm pretty much committed to staying at home for the foreseeable future as we live with my 84 year old grandmother. I work from home anyway so it hasn't been a professional problem for me yet. My mum is a teacher who works in a special unit with expelled kids from nearly all troubled backgrounds, so even though the government is shutting schools from tomorrow, she is still going to be at work because they have to make provisions for the at risk and vulnerable kids who's home situation is not acceptable for a 24/7 lockdown type scenario.

My dad is a builder and has had a nervous tick kind of cough for at least a year or so, so fuck knows what is up with him, we won't know if he's showing an early symptom or just being himself! All we can really do is make sure we sanitise and all that jazz and not sit on granny's lap, which we don't tend to do! ;-)

She's pretty much housebound anyway, bad knee being her only 'underlying condition' besides age, so I'm not as worried as I could be. My other grandparents are Spanish and live in Valencia, and are both incredibly healthy for their age. My abuela was an NHS nurse the whole time she lived in the UK so I'd like to think she's got some smarts!
    JaimieTMichaelGDeeNoelMurderbearcdriveFreddyElisaAww_PHuuCk
  • About now would be the time to start that Bald Move Fred Rogers Cult in Beaver Island... just saying. 

Would there be fever screenings and tests offered before stepping foot on the promised land? 

MichelleNoelcdrivehisdudeness915JSDCA
  • amyja89 said:
    Sup my dudes, long time no post! Just thought I'd drop in here to share that Scribd are giving anyone who wants it a 30 days free subscription without any card details needed, lots of audiobooks and ebooks to ride out some of this quarantine. Here's the link for sign up!

Been a wild week here in the UK, I'm pretty much committed to staying at home for the foreseeable future as we live with my 84 year old grandmother. I work from home anyway so it hasn't been a professional problem for me yet. My mum is a teacher who works in a special unit with expelled kids from nearly all troubled backgrounds, so even though the government is shutting schools from tomorrow, she is still going to be at work because they have to make provisions for the at risk and vulnerable kids who's home situation is not acceptable for a 24/7 lockdown type scenario.

My dad is a builder and has had a nervous tick kind of cough for at least a year or so, so fuck knows what is up with him, we won't know if he's showing an early symptom or just being himself! All we can really do is make sure we sanitise and all that jazz and not sit on granny's lap, which we don't tend to do! ;-)

She's pretty much housebound anyway, bad knee being her only 'underlying condition' besides age, so I'm not as worried as I could be. My other grandparents are Spanish and live in Valencia, and are both incredibly healthy for their age. My abuela was an NHS nurse the whole time she lived in the UK so I'd like to think she's got some smarts!
    Are the pubs closed yet? I forget the latest - I wonder the last time they’ve ever closed pubs in the U.K., let alone bars in the US. Not in my lifetime. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    @MichaelG Some are, some aren't. Boris' last noncommittal steps were to 'advise' to stay away from social gathering hubs like pubs, bars, clubs, the theatre etc. So he's basically just leaving it up to individual business. I understand the notion of letting businesses make as much money as they can before an inevitable closure period, but until a sweeping rule is laid out, people are just going to ignore the advice.
    MichaelGCory
  • amyja89 said:
    @MichaelG Some are, some aren't. Boris' last noncommittal steps were to 'advise' to stay away from social gathering hubs like pubs, bars, clubs, the theatre etc. So he's basically just leaving it up to individual business. I understand the notion of letting businesses make as much money as they can before an inevitable closure period, but until a sweeping rule is laid out, people are just going to ignore the advice.
    Yea, even until this past Tuesday when the banhammer came down, people were crowding breweries and bars and Seattle (ground zero in the US), it was enraging. 

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    LA and the county are going “safer at home”
    So I guess will see what happens. Good luck stay safe.
    Elisa
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited March 2020
    kingbee67 said:
    LA and the county are going “safer at home”
    So I guess will see what happens. Good luck stay safe.
    Newsom announcement coming in five minutes... mandatory statewide lockdown, I’d imagine

EDIT:  There it is
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Cecily said:
    OliviaD said:
    So my work is still trying to figure out the logistics of sending hundreds of techs and pharmacists home with the correct equipment so we can perform remote entry. Yesterday I was refilling my water and started talking to a coworker who had been on PTO for a couple of weeks and I asked the usual polite water cooler coworker questions. “How was your time off?” “ do anything fun?” And this is how I learned my coworker just returned from a two week vacation in the UK and defied quarantine protocol by coming to work. So there’s that. 
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!  I can't believe they just stood there breathing their corona breath into your face and spreading it all over Cincinnati!!!
    IKR? Hamilton county now has three confirmed cases. Its all this guys fault (totally kidding..sort of)
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2020
    We're now up to two GOP senators who sold off stocks after a (non-public) COVID-19 briefing in late January. So they were worried enough to protect their financial interest but not do their duty to help protect us from an imminent pandemic. Yikes.
    JaimieTGiovanniCoryMarciweeniegirl
  • Oh and I just ordered a box of surgical masks on eBay for my wife (a pediatrician) because supplies are low. So that's great!
    Noel
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    California stay at home is just was we’ve already been doing in SF. I can’t believe the articles are using the term lockdown. Nothing like freaking people out. We need to stay level-headed and get through this. 
    MichelleElisaken hale