HAPPY PRINCESS BRIDE DAY!!!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
I just heard Jim scream from the other room.   I asked him what's up, and he said he was just notified that the last share of "The Princess Bride" had been bought from the community commissioned part of the store.

Congratulations, we did it.  After 28 years, we're finally going to force him to watch this movie.  
AntManBeeMurderbearDeeTravisNikkiPduncanpowersSheIsGeekyAllicynEmmelyneRaiyneand 3 others.

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Haha, now the rest of us will rewatch and be like "Huh, this was better in my memory", probably.
    Travis
  • Anybody want a peanut?

NikkiPsteph_bEmmelyne
  • Dee said:

Haha, now the rest of us will rewatch and be like "Huh, this was better in my memory", probably.

I feel like I watched it at some point in the last 5 years or so and it held up great. That said, I may watch it through rose tinted glasses. I always really loved that flick.
  • I saw it recently too and it was still pretty funny, but given the expectations I look forward to Jim's lukewarm reaction and the ensuing pitchforks.
    Travissteph_bAdmount
  • edited November 2015
    This movie killed Andre The Giant but I still love it. Im curious to hear Bald Move thoughts on Alternate Universe Saul Berenson
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited November 2015
    I've never seen this either. So I'm with Jim. I think I've avoided it at this point because of how everyone talks it up.
  • Yes!!!! I watch it every couple years - it's held up. In fact I now cry at the end when the grampa says, "As you wish," bc it means "I love you." *grabs tissue*
    duncanpowersTravisEmmelyne
  • When I got the email that the charge had gone through, I cheered out loud at my desk!
    [Deleted User]SheIsGeekytristanTravisNikkiPEmmelyneMichelle
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I watched it with my kid a year or two ago, held up like a champ. Wesley and Buttercup are still stupidly beautiful, Andre is still awesome, fezik is still funny, Inigo 's story is still compelling, and the framing device of the Grandson and grandfather is still oddly touching. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
    TravisMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    This is all very heartening. Not so scared to rewatch now. :-)
    Travis
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard, have you shown him The Neverending Story? Even though the effects on it are old, my 10-year old students loved it more than any other movie I showed them.
  • DoubleTDoubleT Melbourne, Australia
    Jim's never watched this? Inconceivable!!
    TravisNikkiPMichelle
  • I can't get over that Homeland dude is prepare to die dude.
    [Deleted User]
  • Well, I'm sure Jim will at least be able to relate to the sick little boy, trapped and unwilling to hear the story. Perhaps he too will begrudgingly get into it. :)

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
     I'm pretty sure he saw Neverending Story, though I couldn't swear to it because I could see his parents being all like "Magic dragon, no way", although I could also see them saying "it's all imaginary and not real, so it's okay."  Which is crazy, sense of course it's all imaginary.  But when people believe in real no shit demons entering your home through television and books, all bets are off. 
    duncanpowersMichelle
  • ^^That's precisely why I never saw Neverending Story as a child. I love hearing about which movies and shows you guys were and weren't allowed to watch because I had a similar upbringing in the charismatic movement and will never forget some of the crazy logic applied to situations like that. So few people on the "outside" can relate since most are still in it.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited November 2015
    DoubleT said:

Jim's never watched this? Inconceivable!!

This word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
    DoubleT
  • Falkor is my spirit animal.
    FlashGordonReniNikkiP
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard, I didn't mean Jim, I meant your son :) My point was kids these days still love that movie despite the aged effects. It's still super inspirational.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I've never seen Princess Bride... Guess I gotta watch it now, huh??
  • @TaraC73, we're converting all hold-outs.
    duncanpowersTaraC73
  • One of us... One of us...
    TravisNikkiP
  • mike3point14159mike3point14159 International Falls MN
    Have fun stormin the castle.
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Yay!!! @Jim don't knock it until you've seen it. It's *so* good! If anything, there's some cool pirate & giant testosterone-y stuff to balance the sweet fairytale parts. :) And Billy Crystal rocks in this role.
    Travis