Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 21
    Dee said:
    @Freddy South Oz, mate. Best reds in the world. 
    A Penfolds tour is on my bucket list. Same goes for trying every one of their products.
    DeeMichelleElisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:
    I’ve been without power since Saturday (due to a huge snow storm) and no sign of it coming back because there is a shelter in place now, so no one to work on the power lines. They were estimating for Friday evening. But now that the shelter in place has happened, they’ve stopped all estimations. I’ve gotten very used to the dark and freezing weather. I’m an essential employee for the county, so I’ve been forced out of my house for that. My food has all gone bad at this point. Outside of chips and the like...I know this is peanuts compared to what others are facing. But it’s rough out there. 
    PG&E should be part of the essential workers.  I can’t imagine at all that they would leave you out of power and not be out to work on the lines at all.
    This may be the funniest thing I’ve read so far. Yes electricity is essential. But PGE is a joke. 
    ken hale
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Michelle said:
    I’ve been without power since Saturday (due to a huge snow storm) and no sign of it coming back because there is a shelter in place now, so no one to work on the power lines. They were estimating for Friday evening. But now that the shelter in place has happened, they’ve stopped all estimations. I’ve gotten very used to the dark and freezing weather. I’m an essential employee for the county, so I’ve been forced out of my house for that. My food has all gone bad at this point. Outside of chips and the like...I know this is peanuts compared to what others are facing. But it’s rough out there. 
    PG&E should be part of the essential workers.  I can’t imagine at all that they would leave you out of power and not be out to work on the lines at all.
    This may be the funniest thing I’ve read so far. Yes electricity is essential. But PGE is a joke. 
    Yeah, I meant the guys out working the lines, the 'first responders', the ones out busting their butts to fix stuff.  It's not their fault their bosses are jerks.  Those guys are most likely working to solve problems like @Garthgou81's.
    Chinaskiken hale
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Australia streaks ahead in the race to see whose government can fuck up the handling of a public health emergency the most: 

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/coronavirus-four-cruise-ships-dock-australia-national-ban/12077824
    FreddyMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Noelhisdudeness915MurderbearJSDCAFlukesElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Found a good little video on how to make hand sanitiser. 

Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Power has been returned. Thanks everyone for their concern. I just took the best shower of my life. Holy Toledo. All you Bald Movers rock 
    CoryDeeMurderbearhisdudeness915DoubleA_RonGiovanniMichaelGAlkaid13Teresa from ConcordJSDCAand 13 others.
  • Dee said:

Just know if you use 60% alcohol and then dilute it with aloe the resulting solution going to be less that 60% which is below the recommended concentration for effectiveness against viruses. Gotta use higher % alcohol.
    GiovanniDeeMichelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    As a big Tom Clancy fan I laughed when @A_Ron_Hubbard mentioned the novel where President Jack Ryan stopped the financial catastrophe by resetting the clock. And then I thought A_Ron is right. Makes perfect sense to freeze everything until we get through this. After all, what is valued is made up anyway. 

I vote A_Ron for president!
    NoelFreddyMarci
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    As a big Tom Clancy fan I laughed when @A_Ron_Hubbard mentioned the novel where President Jack Ryan stopped the financial catastrophe by resetting the clock. And then I thought A_Ron is right. Makes perfect sense to freeze everything until we get through this. After all, what is valued is made up anyway. 

I vote A_Ron for president!
    Uh uh, you can't have him to yourself, I already nominated him for PM of Noth America.
  • MrX said:
    Dee said:

Just know if you use 60% alcohol and then dilute it with aloe the resulting solution going to be less that 60% which is below the recommended concentration for effectiveness against viruses. Gotta use higher % alcohol.
    Finally a good use for Everclear, cause it sure as shit isn't made for drinking. 
    MrXMichelleFlukes
  • Italy reported 793 dead in one day today.
    Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    A picture from my spot in line to get into Costco this morning. I showed up about 15 minutes before it opened.

Even those of us living the bidet life need some toilet paper. We were low enough I was worried about running out this week, but I figured there was no way I was getting any toilet paper this far back in line.

When I got into the building, they had a queue setup with empty pallets and were counting people in like a nightclub and they handed you a disinfectant wipe for your cart and hands.. They also had signs to tell you what they had stock of so you knew what to expect. I bought three of the things on this particular board.

Some of the people in the line (including the guy behind me - despite my dirty looks) were not doing a great job reading the signage. 

Everyone was super chill and did ok keeping their distance inside the store. And the board didn't lie, I got the coveted paper products and there was still plenty left.

One per membership!
    JaimieTCoryMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Pic didn’t work, @Flukes!
    NoelFlukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Dee said:
    Pic didn’t work, @Flukes!
    I can't see them on my phone, but I can on the full site. Weird. I'll look at it later.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We hopped over Iran, Spain, and Germany today so now we’re 2nd behind Italy outside of China. 

MichelleElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Holy shit. 700 in Italy dead in 24 hours....if people don’t see these numbers in first world countries and not take this seriously there is something wrong with them. 

The UK number can’t be right? 1000 in a day? If that’s correct Boris Johnson has blood on his hands. They made the conscious decision not to enact certain policies when it became clear this was going to be an issue. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Hatorian said:
    Holy shit. 700 in Italy dead in 24 hours....if people don’t see these numbers in first world countries and not take this seriously there is something wrong with them. 

The UK number can’t be right? 1000 in a day? If that’s correct Boris Johnson has blood on his hands. They made the conscious decision not to enact certain policies when it became clear this was going to be an issue. 

I think the theory behind building a herd immunity is short term it will be worse but long term they won't have to fuck with what we have to fuck with.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    From what I read though people a lot smarter than Boris and his cabinet have said there is no scientific proof herd immunity will work in this case. They are literally playing with lives and yes it might work but if it doesn’t...well then at least it will be cheap to buy land in the UK....
  • Supposedly they will need 80% of people to get the coronavirus for herd immunity to work.  Also the disease is definitely not benign in people over the age of 20.
  • Not per capita.

cdrive said:
    We hopped over Iran, Spain, and Germany today so now we’re 2nd behind Italy outside of China. 

Not per capita.

cdrive said:

Granted yes but not per testing or per quick measures also.  
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 22
    Our government just announced it is doubling the unemployment payments for six months and also loosening a bunch of requirements for it. I work in government welfare so this is huge news for me. I don’t work in unemployment but I would
    not be surprised if I get seconded to do some stuff there for a while. 

This is great news for casuals whose jobs are so precarious at the moment. I imagine this just took a load off a lot of people. 
    CoryNoelElisaMichellecdriveFlukesJaimieThisdudeness915GiovanniMarciand 1 other.
  • My wife is getting better, but both my kid and I have fevers. Wish there was a way to get tested, but our state took the stance of only testing those who end up hospitalized. I understand the logic, but not knowing really sucks. 
    CoryElisaMarciMichelleweeniegirlken hale
  • Oy. Just had “the meeting" at work on Friday. I'm in a surgery private practice, and the hospitals here shut down elective surgeries, without explaining what the parameters defining “elective” are. Urgent discectomies? Craniotomies for malignant brain tumors?  Neither of those are generally emergency surgeries. They sort of maybe walked back this policy some, possibly leaving it up to surgeons to use their judgment. 

But still, any way it happens most surgeons are going to be totally hammered financially by this. In our meeting, it was basically laid out to us that the parters have agreed to underwrite our pay out of their own personal money until the end of April, but after that our practice basically will shut down, most all of us will be laid off, and our health insurance will be cancelled.  
    DeeGiovanniken hale
    BALD MOVE is now on lockdown.  Ohio and Louisiana just joined the group.  
  • Giovanni said:
    My wife is getting better, but both my kid and I have fevers. Wish there was a way to get tested, but our state took the stance of only testing those who end up hospitalized. I understand the logic, but not knowing really sucks. 
    I hope you and your family are going to be ok. If it you start feeling much worse, definitely go to the hospital and try to get tested. I also just read that @Garthgou81 had a power issue. I'm really glad you made it through that, buddy. It sounded rough. Everyone be safe! Take the precautions seriously and we'll get through this in time.
    NoelJaimieTMichellecdriveGiovanni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    mykhailo said:
    Oy. Just had “the meeting" at work on Friday. I'm in a surgery private practice, and the hospitals here shut down elective surgeries, without explaining what the parameters defining “elective” are. Urgent discectomies? Craniotomies for malignant brain tumors?  Neither of those are generally emergency surgeries. They sort of maybe walked back this policy some, possibly leaving it up to surgeons to use their judgment. 

But still, any way it happens most surgeons are going to be totally hammered financially by this. In our meeting, it was basically laid out to us that the parters have agreed to underwrite our pay out of their own personal money until the end of April, but after that our practice basically will shut down, most all of us will be laid off, and our health insurance will be cancelled.  
    It’s so bad that at a time when so many will need health care they will lose their insurance because it’s tied to their work. I hope things don’t drag on for people in situations like yours. :-(
    JaimieTElisaJimMarci
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Well, our government has announced that all non-essential services are shut down - gyms, cinemas, etc. Restaurants and cafes can only do takeaway (that’s Lily’s job gone for the foreseeable future). No non-essential travel. Each state has closed its borders. 

It’s such a fucking joke, though. Schools and offices still open. Bottle shops considered “essential services”. It’s all over the place. 
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    We're in a state of emergency as of 6 hours ago.