What are you playing?

Comments

• Oh shit I missed the steam sale on a plague tale! UGGHHH. Damn. Wait, it's free on game pass?! SCORE. 

Anyway, I finished the Outer Worlds (not to be confused with the Outer Wilds, which I also finished recently and which was a great experience). Outer Worlds was....fine. Like aggressively fine. I finished it, it held my attention for 20ish hours, and it was free with game pass, so it was good enough for me to play. But I've basically already forgotten everything about it except how much it was like fallout new vegas (which I also thought was fine, but I finished) and how TERRIBLE the load times were. And that it would randomly not load the saved games list when you tried to to a manual save, so you just couldn't save.

Also that it still had the endlessly dumb encumbrance mechanic that so many western RPG's insist on having even though it adds absolutely nothing to gameplay but annoying bookkeeping. If there's so much shit to pick up in your game that you think you need this mechanic, have there be less junk and make drops rarer but better. Outer Worlds lets you take perks that basically render the weight limit meaningless, so at this point, why are we still doing it? My only regret playing it on xbox was that I couldn't enter the console command to completely eliminate this stupid limit, which I do for all bethesda/obsidian games immediately upon starting when I play on PC. 

Also started playing Metro Exodus. I forgot how good the Metro world was. Metro 2033 remaster (called redux for some reason) is $20 on steam and I think free with game pass, so if you haven't played it and you like story-driven FPS's you owe it to yourself to play it. Metro 2033 is SO GOOD. 
    ken hale

• Big update for Satisfactory. 

Good bye all.

See you in a few months. 

Murderbear
  • Going through Zelda Breath of the Wild and trying to get all the Korok Seeds. It’s a bitch
    JaimieT
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Is anyone still playing Destiny 2. Shadowkeep expansion was just release. And I have been sinking some real time into it. Its frustrating...the match-making takes forever. Seriously, it could be 5 minutes if not longer of wait time while you go get a drink/shower/make dinner/putz around. However, there seems to be nonstop activities to do, and leveling up is so satisfying. Destiny, I have such a strained relationship with you. 
    Well, I was back on my bullshit of playing Destiny 2. But I seem to have hit the light cap. I haven't gotten a weapon or equipment higher than 960 in ages. I think I could get higher, but the Raids seem like such a pain and not my idea of fun. So I suppose outside of maybe some campaign missions, I am pretty much done until the next expansion. 
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 4
    I've been playing Control off and on the last couple of weeks. I held off for a long time as I have a base PS4 and I heard bad things. Well, I have to say, I am wowed by that game often. It does occasionally chug along when there is a LOT going on but it is still pretty impressive.

It's kinda tough. Not super punishing but you only get health from damaging/killing enemies. My favorite thing is when you get to a hard spot, die, endure VERY long load times, run back to the trouble spot, get very close to killing the troublesome enemy, die, another long loading screen but then this time as you're running back, here's three random enemies to pop up and potentially hurt you so you have even less health to fight the enemy that has been kicking your ass. Fun stuff.

Whining aside, this game is a trip. I love the feel of it and the weirdness is done perfectly. Very cool game.
    BroRad33
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Knocked out the FF7 Remake demo. About what I expected, but not in a bad way. Few things:
    • The cinematics and voice acting really make it feel like you're playing a anime movie.
    • The combat is a lot of fun and intense. Although, I could see it getting repetitive.
    • Barret is apparently voiced by Robert Downey Jr's character in Tropic Thunder, and is at least 90% a racist stereotype.
    • Midgar looks gorgeous and much more alive. I'll definitely wait until reviews come out before purchasing, but if I get to explore much more of the city than in the original, I'll probably buy it based on that more than anything else.

bizmarkiefadercdrivedarwinfeeshyken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Freddy said:

• Barret is apparently voiced by Robert Downey Jr's character in Tropic Thunder, and is at least 90% a racist stereotype.

I just watched a video of it and yea... he's rough. When the characters were like 4 triangles with small repeated animations it made sense that they would move around dramatically and wave their arms around but seeing those animations translated it looked so bizarre to me. Barret in the elevator looked like a real person doing an impersonation of a PS1 model
    I feel like Square Enix has really been hiding the fact that this is a multi part game. It was mentioned like once a long time ago but they are still just calling this game Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Not Volume 1 or Part 1 or anything like that. The rumor is that this is until you leave Midgar. I have a feeling if they don't get out there in front of this, you're going to have a lot of disappointed people out there who assume they are getting a full game.
    ken hale
    edited March 4
    I will say that the demo was cool, Barret makes me cringe and Badger from Breaking Bad voices Wedge and I got a kick out of that.

Damn this game does look very, very good. (Literally mean graphics, the gameplay was very solid too though)
    edited March 4
    I feel like Square Enix has really been hiding the fact that this is a multi part game. It was mentioned like once a long time ago but they are still just calling this game Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Not Volume 1 or Part 1 or anything like that. The rumor is that this is until you leave Midgar. I have a feeling if they don't get out there in front of this, you're going to have a lot of disappointed people out there who assume they are getting a full game.
    That's perfectly fine by me as long as there is a solid 60 dollars worth of gameplay in each installment. Either that or 60 bucks gets you all the installments, and they come out within a reasonable time of each other.
    Murderbear
    It's fine that the game is what it is but it's pretty misleading marketing unless you've been following the announcements and development of it over time. They don't even call it part 1 or anything. I mean, look at this cover:

Murderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    anyone give the new Castlevania mobile game a shot? i seldom play mobile games, but i love me some Castlevania.

Freddy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Man FF7 brings back so many memories. 

The death of a main character 
    the hunting for certain enemies and characters
    the attempt to get the gold chocobo 

Will always be the greatest game ever. 
    Aww_PHuuCk
    Hatorian said:
    Man FF7 brings back so many memories. 

The death of a main character 
    the hunting for certain enemies and characters
    the attempt to get the gold chocobo 

Will always be the greatest game ever. 
    I just like that it involves a genetically grown assassin turning into a demigod. Brings back so many memories of my fictional childhood. 
    MurderbearHatorian
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 20
    After a week of being holed up with more weeks to come, I'm trying to keep everyone in the house from going stir crazy.  So new video games I think would help.  I'll probably download Super Smash Bros for the Switch.  $60 is a bit of a hit but I'd rather get it digitally than try to find it used in a store right now.  

Also PS Plus this month has the HD remake of Shadow of the Colossus.  I got fairly deep in this game before Life tugged me away from it.  So I'd like to revisit that plus with my 2 boys I think it would totally blow their minds.  And the little one can just have fun galloping around on a horse.  There is a free Sonic game this month on PS Plus also.

Anyways I raise my controller and salute you all. Let's tough this out.   

edit: wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. ok hell yes.

ken hale
    I started up Divinity Original Sin 2 after all the hype around Baulders Gate 3. That game always looked great but was so intimidating and I knew it would need a bunch of time invested to get into it. This is probably as good of a time as it'll ever be to get into a 100+ hour RPG.

So far it's really good. I heard people talking about how this is as close as you can get to playing D&D in video game form and I can totally see it. The amount of freedom they give you to kinda just do what you want and roll with what happens is amazing.
  • cdrive said:
    After a week of being holed up with more weeks to come, I'm trying to keep everyone in the house from going stir crazy.  So new video games I think would help.  I'll probably download Super Smash Bros for the Switch.  $60 is a bit of a hit but I'd rather get it digitally than try to find it used in a store right now.  

Also PS Plus this month has the HD remake of Shadow of the Colossus.  I got fairly deep in this game before Life tugged me away from it.  So I'd like to revisit that plus with my 2 boys I think it would totally blow their minds.  And the little one can just have fun galloping around on a horse.  There is a free Sonic game this month on PS Plus also.

Anyways I raise my controller and salute you all. Let's tough this out.   

edit: wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. ok hell yes.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my top 3 games of all time, and this newer remake is definitely the best version to play. The gameplay, atmosphere, and music all mesh together perfectly, and how can you not love a game that's all boss-fights?

The main drawback of the game is that the controls are obtuse, but that's only an issue at the beginning of the game.
    cdriveJaimieT
    edited March 22
    Halfway through the first summer of Stardew Valley. Still in the salad days, so to speak. Actually, quite literally. So far all I've grown are salad ingredients. Just brought my first chicks (affectionately named Jimbot and A. Ron), so here pretty soon I'll be in the chicken and cobb salad business. Business on the ole Charnal House Farm is booming. So... Suck it, Trumpona Virus!
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I keep wishing I could play The Return of the Obra Dinn fresh. What a fucking game. It should be its own genre. Too clever by half. If you haven't checked it out, DO. And you're welcome. 

I picked up Papers, Please by the same creator, and only spent 3-ish hours on it. So I need to try it again, especially given the state of the world. I am feeling all kinds of Soviet moods. 
    MurderbearAlkaid13
  • edited March 22
    Hail Arstotzka

JaimieTMurderbear
    Hearts of Iron IV.

i have had it for a while but it has such a steep learning curve I find myself going back to easier RTS like Age of Empires or Company of Heroes. But now with all this time at home I’m gonna force myself to learn both by jumping in and watching YouTube videos. The game is right up my alley and looks Super fun. I just want to learn how to actually play it. 
  • Warzone cause ima basic B
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    DOOOOOOOM!
    Flukes said:
    DOOOOOOOM!

How is it? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on all of the systems they piled onto it
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    JaimieT said:
    I keep wishing I could play The Return of the Obra Dinn fresh. What a fucking game. It should be its own genre. Too clever by half. If you haven't checked it out, DO. And you're welcome. 

I picked up Papers, Please by the same creator, and only spent 3-ish hours on it. So I need to try it again, especially given the state of the world. I am feeling all kinds of Soviet moods. 
    CapeGabe said:
    Hail Arstotzka

Man, I played the hell out of Papers, Please. Its incredibly difficult and certainly not something you can background play, or play with other distractions going on. But once you get a system for checking and verifying the info, you start to feel like a real bad ass. The only thing these days, with the political climate, it does make you feel icky and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth at times. 
    JaimieT
  • Hatorian said:
    Going through Zelda Breath of the Wild and trying to get all the Korok Seeds. It’s a bitch
    Why anyone would do that to themselves is beyond me. Post a picture of the achievement please. Good luck!
    MFG said:
    Hatorian said:
    Going through Zelda Breath of the Wild and trying to get all the Korok Seeds. It’s a bitch
    Why anyone would do that to themselves is beyond me. Post a picture of the achievement please. Good luck!
    I gave up a few weeks ago. Not even half way there and if they were just about finding them I might continue but some of the trials are actually difficult and time consuming. I’ve switched over to playing RTS lately. 

Steam had Epic Battle Simulator on sale for $2 so I bought it for shits and giggles. The kids love it. Watching velociraptors fighting chickens and dragons is a lot of fun. Or having 1000 wolverines fight 1000 venoms. So many options. 
    MFG
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited March 24
    JaimieT said:

Return of the Obra Dinn is the best puzzle/story game I’ve played in years. Everything about that game is excellent, everything. The only possible complaint I could have is that I want more of it. 

Personally I’ve been playing the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, essentially 6 games for $30. If you’re a fan of Mega Man games, these are some of the best in the franchise. 
    JaimieT
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Flukes said:
    DOOOOOOOM!

How is it? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on all of the systems they piled onto it
    I haven't read or heard any reviews aside from the mentions J&A have given it, so I don't know how my experience compares to other opinions. That said, I'm having a blast with it. id's really managed to modernize the franchise while still making it feel like the Doom of old. 

The gameplay is fast and furious in combat encounters. The enemies have good aim and take some strategy to defeat, but there's no standing around carefully picking off enemies. That's a recipe for a swift death. Even at the "Hurt Me Plenty" difficulty, I'm finding it challenging.

The best feature outside of gameplay is the loading times. They are fast. In a game where you'll die a LOT, it takes less than 10 seconds to get back into the action. I have a quality Samsung SSD in my PS4, so I may have shorter times than most, but compared to some recent games, the loading is lightning fast.

One neat feature is they built in cheat code collectibles that you can use when you replay missions for achievements, exploration, and collectible hunting. They don't impact your progression to use - you just can't use them your first time through a mission. I found an Unlimited Extra Lives cheat on the first level. 

Also, the game sounds amazing. I recommend headphones for the full experience.