Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Alkaid13 said:
    Dispatch from insanity-ville:

Just had an impromptu meeting that was supposed to “cheer me up” somehow after I expressed some concern about the current state of the country; it was “explained” to me that, apparently, 5G “breaks O2 into separate Oxygen atoms” which is why everyone is having breathing problems.
    Caught between laughing, being angry and just feeling sorry for those people. Please, keep it coming with these updates!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @cdrive Wow... My favorite has got to be when Bun told the first officer that he has a million instagram followers. Cop probably has no clue who he is.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I have no clue who he is. And I didn’t know they made velvet sweats that tight. Damn. 
    Freddy
  • Denmark's stimulus plan: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/denmark-freezing-its-economy-should-us/608533/

Basically, if a company keeps a worker on the payroll rather than lay them off, the government will pay 75% of their salary.

Based on GDP the same cost in the US would be 2.5 trillion dollars. Yet the US is proposing a 2 trillion dollar plan with a one time check of 1200 dollars for people. I don't even understand. The odds are so in favor of corporations in this country that it's laughable. I say this as someone who will not lose my job. 

I'm so sorry for all the people who need help and the government failing them. :(
    MichaelGweeniegirlHatorianDeeFreddyrkcrawfElisa
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I have no clue who he is. And I didn’t know they made velvet sweats that tight. Damn. 
    He's a really well know rapper from the Houston area. Also happens to be a professor at Rice University. And I'm pretty sure his wife got COVID-19 from that lady in Walgreens. She just looked like she was infected.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Freddy said:
    @cdrive Wow... My favorite has got to be when Bun told the first officer that he has a million instagram followers. Cop probably has no clue who he is.
    I love it when people get confronted for writing checks their ass can’t cash.  Bun B is strapped.  Straight up shot a perp breaking in his home coming at his wife and trying to steal his car like not even a year ago.
    NoelFreddy
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Giovanni said:
    Denmark's stimulus plan: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/denmark-freezing-its-economy-should-us/608533/

Basically, if a company keeps a worker on the payroll rather than lay them off, the government will pay 75% of their salary.

Based on GDP the same cost in the US would be 2.5 trillion dollars. Yet the US is proposing a 2 trillion dollar plan with a one time check of 1200 dollars for people. I don't even understand. The odds are so in favor of corporations in this country that it's laughable. I say this as someone who will not lose my job. 

I'm so sorry for all the people who need help and the government failing them. :(

Just stole this and tweeted it out. Good stuff. 
    Giovanni
  • Giovanni said:
    Denmark's stimulus plan: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/denmark-freezing-its-economy-should-us/608533/

Maybe I'm completely naive about how our / the world's economy works but I've thought for a while now that the U.S. should just pause all payments / interest / fees on everything and shut down the stock market for a few weeks / months. Tell everyone non-essential to stay home. Everyone essential (food distribution, healthcare workers, electric / water, etc) can take extra precautions and continue working to keep the country running during the pause. Pay them for their work as well. The biggest hurdle is certainly compliance but starting with banks and credit cards companies would get you 90% of the way there, yes? Once the virus settles down, you could create an oversight group that people can submit claims of wrongful fees / interest they were charged during that period.

From what I can tell, money is only the incentive that gets people to do the things necessary to run our country. Right now we have another pretty strong incentive!

Tell me I'm crazy. I'm happy to hear that it wouldn't work if I can learn a little in the process.
    FlukesMichaelGFreddyGiovanniElisaawookieeweeniegirl
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    Jim said:
    Giovanni said:

Maybe I'm completely naive about how our / the world's economy works but I've thought for a while now that the U.S. should just pause all payments / interest / fees on everything and shut down the stock market for a few weeks / months. Tell everyone non-essential to stay home. Everyone essential (food distribution, healthcare workers, electric / water, etc) can take extra precautions and continue working to keep the country running during the pause. Pay them for their work as well. The biggest hurdle is certainly compliance but starting with banks and credit cards companies would get you 90% of the way there, yes? Once the virus settles down, you could create an oversight group that people can submit claims of wrongful fees / interest they were charged during that period.

From what I can tell, money is only the incentive that gets people to do the things necessary to run our country. Right now we have another pretty strong incentive!

Tell me I'm crazy. I'm happy to hear that it wouldn't work if I can learn a little in the process.
    Ha! Good one @Jim!

rkcrawf
    edited March 25
    I just want the scientists and doctors to make the calls, not CEOs, not economists, certainly not Donald J’s gut,. 

We feel uniquely unsuited and ill equipped to handle this as a country right now - it’s stunning.
    Elisa
  • MichaelG said:
    I just want the scientists and doctors to make the calls, not CEOs, not economists, certainly not Donald J’s gut,. 

We feel uniquely unsuited and ill equipped to handle this as a country right now - it’s stunning.
    I honestly believe that America will be the hardest hit of any country by the time this is over. We started with a piss-poor healthcare system, we've responded glacially, we're anti-science and legendarily disunited. It's going to be bad.
    cdriveDoubleA_RonMichaelGFreddyNoelMarciElisatom_gFlukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    There it is. Fuck dude, Jim don’t pull punches and he ain’t wrong. 
    MichaelGNoelFlukes
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Jim said:
    MichaelG said:

I honestly believe that America will be the hardest hit of any country by the time this is over. We started with a piss-poor healthcare system, we've responded glacially, we're anti-science and legendarily disunited. It's going to be bad.
    And what’s worse is the undeniable truth that no monumental change will come of it.
    Elisa
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    MichaelG said:

So, what we want from policy is to minimize human suffering, right? Of course, the most prominent source of human suffering is (premature) death. But, it's not the only source. 

It is simply a straw-man to say that those who are concerned about the economy are only worried about their portfolio, or the stock market, or GDP. 

Right now, the most imminent threat of premature death is the Coronavirus. But, it's not the only threat. If the global economy is thrown into a decade(s)-long depression, then there will be plenty of premature deaths (e.g. from suicide, lack of access to healthcare, etc.). And of course, there will be plenty of additional human suffering of other forms if there is a decade(s) long depression. 

The point is this. Right now, of course those making the decisions should be physicians, epidemiologists, etc. But, once we have enough data - once the dust settles - economists / game theorists are (arguably) those who should have the largest say in regard to policy.
    Elisa
    Jim said:
    MichaelG said:

We responded late and incompetently, and apparently going to just say fuck it and pull the cord early, because markets. He’ll blame China and the press if shit goes really sideways, which it will. There’s also a non zero chance he postpones the general election, IMO.
  • Jim said:
    Giovanni said:

I don’t think you appreciate the complexity of financial markets. For this to happen it would take the whole world getting on the same page, with no country vying for benefit. Basically throwing a switch to make the world into a utopian communist society for a few months with everyone knowing that you plan to throw the switch back and nobody trying to benefit from either throw of the switch.

Let me run down a few examples:
    - You would have to freeze pay (nobody gets paid) because companies can’t meet payroll without access to the corporate paper markets.
    - Farmers, miners, manufacturers, etc. would have to operate on trust because they buy and sell commodities on futures exchanges and all have outstanding contracts that would expire during that period (poor example: farmer sold their spring wheat crop to someone already, that someone is probably not the ultimate consumer of that crop and was planning to sell it later, shut down the market and you get a million tons of wheat delivered to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange while bread production grinds to a halt).
    - International trade relies on currency markets and letters of credit, and practically everything has international aspects to its supply chain.
    - Freeze financial markets and folks who rely on them for income/liquidity can’t buy food. Smallish number that doesn’t also draw social security, but not zero.

It’s late and I’m drinking, but there are many other problems unless you freeze all money during that period across national borders and just go with everyone who can pitch in does without compensation, and everyone who needs something takes no more than they absolutely must without paying. 
    JimJaimieTrkcrawfFlukes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 25
    Our fifth positive was just confirmed.  That's three in one day in this small(ish) county.

My youngest niece FaceTimed me tonight to say hi, and when I asked how she was, she said "good, probably gonna get corona but whatever".  I think she was half kidding, but only half.  I tried to ease her mind and just remind her and her sister (who was in the room with her) that they need to stay home, wash hands, sanitize, etc. and that they'll be okay as long as they keep doing what they're supposed to do.  The mood lightened a bit after that, but *sigh*. :heartbreak:

As nervous as it is making us as adults, think of how the kids must feel, like their future is possibly uncertain.  It breaks my heart to think that any child, especially my nieces (who I am so close with that they feel like my own kids) are feeling this way.  :cry:
    DeeJaimieTNoelElisaweeniegirl
  • Not to just shoot stuff down. I think we could get through this by guaranteeing medical coverage and a universal basic income at the poverty line for every person/family until the employment market recovers to a reasonable level (like 6%-ish). Put it into law that it auto-renews until then so there is only one tough vote for congress to take.

You’re still going to see lots of income-rich/cash-poor folks go bankrupt (lots of people can live pay-check to pay-check making $200k/yr with houses, cars, boats, etc.). You’re going to have to pay for it with significant taxes later. It would guarantee a consistent base level of demand in the economy though.

I’m less a fan of locking people into their existing jobs. We need more people at Walmart, Amazon, Costco, grocery stores, etc. right now so don’t lock-in laid off waitresses and bartenders to their current places of employment. I don’t think the demand for restaurants, live sports, live music, live theater, movie theaters, cruises, etc., is going to be the same after this so don’t lock everyone in to those jobs. This pandemic is going to change to economy in unexpected ways, and we need a labor market that can adapt and is not frozen in time to the way things were before while also taking care of basic expenses and healthcare.

The GOP will never agree to this because they know people will like it want it never to end.
    JaimieTElisa
  • LordBy said:

The GOP will never agree to this because they know people will like it want it never to end.
    This. I think that's why they are pushing for a one-time payment with future payments TBD, instead of guaranteed payments each month until this is over. They don't want people getting even a whiff of the changes required in our automated future.
    Flukes
  • @LordBy You're right, of course. I'm just an idealist.
    Elisa
    I just saw this on Facebook.  This is San Francisco - normally one of the busiest cities in the world.

NoelJaimieTMarciElisaChinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Michelle said:
    I just saw this on Facebook.  This is San Francisco - normally one of the busiest cities in the world.

Crazy. Dallas has a connecting freeway on the north side of downtown called Woodall Rodgers. It’s extremely busy during most business hours but especially during rush hour, just like any major freeway near a city, and it was dead this morning. Dallas Morning News shared a picture on their IG and I was kinda floored. It makes sense, but the evidence confirming it makes it feel that much more real. 

I got take out from this local spot earlier (around 8:15ish) and it was a ghost town for the most part. It just looked like 2am at 8pm. The drive thru places had customers, but parking lots were very empty. I had a feeling of peace that my part of town, and most of Dallas is really pushing their restrictions. But I can’t help but feel scared and worried. A case was confirmed near my best friend’s house, about two miles away, and him and his wife have two small boys.
    MichelleMarciCoryChinaski
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Speaking of things that'll never happen, I would love for this pandemic stuff to be a wake-up call about our cavalier attitude towards the reality of solar flares. I'd love for us to prep our electrical grid so the world isn't without electricity for 2 months (or whatever). Talk about a body count! But, oh well. We're fucked. 
    Freddy
    Another from SF, this one of the Golden Gate Bridge:

NoelMarciJaimieTElisaFlukesChinaskiweeniegirl
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited March 25
    Noel said:
    Michelle said:

I got take out from this local spot earlier (around 8:15ish) and it was a ghost town for the most part. It just looked like 2am at 8pm. The drive thru places had customers, but parking lots were very empty. I had a feeling of peace that my part of town, and most of Dallas is really pushing their restrictions. But I can’t help but feel scared and worried. A case was confirmed near my best friend’s house, about two miles away, and him and his wife have two small boys.
    Very similar here, restaurants with open drive-thrus and empty parking lots.
    Grocery stores with reduced hours (the first hour for seniors and high-risk individuals).

We're still running full tilt, a possible case at work Monday night.  An individual felt ill, had tested negative, and positive for Influenza B, was sent back to the hospital to be retested, his crew sent home, and we were only notified the following afternoon.

Apparently it's just as essential to make tires for the (your?) military as it is for 18-wheelers.  You guys planning on starting any wars, by chance?
    Noel