Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Speaking of things that'll never happen, I would love for this pandemic stuff to be a wake-up call about our cavalier attitude towards the reality of solar flares. I'd love for us to prep our electrical grid so the world isn't without electricity for 2 months (or whatever). Talk about a body count! But, oh well. We're fucked. 
    Have I told you how much I love your eternal optimism lately?  *flutters eyes*
    JaimieT
  • My county (Orange County, FL) currently lists 52 cases and 2 deaths, but I imagine the number of cases is significantly higher than that because Florida is just not testing much at all. Our county population is over 1.3 million people, and the entire state of Florida has done just over 16,000 tests to date. County leaders and the mayor of Orlando finally issued a stay at home order starting tomorrow, since the state government refuses to do it.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    A couple of days ago police were given the go-ahead to fine people $1000 for individuals who ignore orders to self-isolate or stay away from parks and beaches (which were closed), and $7500 to businesses who fail to comply.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Speaking of things that'll never happen, I would love for this pandemic stuff to be a wake-up call about our cavalier attitude towards the reality of solar flares. I'd love for us to prep our electrical grid so the world isn't without electricity for 2 months (or whatever). Talk about a body count! But, oh well. We're fucked. 

I can't see how this situation is much different than that one, and people are so upset we're not handling it well...... *sigh* People are the worst. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 25
    On a lighter note, Joe Buck out here doing quarantine play-by-play on Twitter.

JaimieTAlkaid13GiovanniNoel
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Dispatch from Crazy Town:

This will require a little build-up:

So, for security purposes, we have badge readers on all the doors to prevent people from just waltzing in, notably what with the pandemic and all, I was told to deactivate driver’s badges so that they would only have access to the front lounge which is cordoned off from the rest of building. This made sense at the time because the drivers frequently interact with lots of people across lots of states so for health reasons it’s good to distance them from the employees. Apparently no one in upper management told anyone this other than me though because as late as this Monday people were still just letting drivers in to wander around and touch whatever, this after I explicitly told management that probably they should have a company safety meeting so people got the memo. Also whoever assigned badges before I got here did a terrible job with giving out access levels because I found several drivers had access levels far beyond their pay grades which I had to correct to prevent them from entering. 

So that leads into today’s fun; ostensibly, we have both an HR Department and a Safety Department who, logically, would keep track of when employees or drivers quit and make sure to deactivate their badges so they couldn’t, I don’t know, come in and shoot the place up if they felt vindictive or something. Now I’ve long since given up on anyone in that department being timely on doing that so I’ve taken it upon myself to make sure everyone’s badges are in fact deactivated when they quit. This of course is in addition to my actual role of removing their access to company files and logins and whatnot which perfectly within the IT role.

Now the way this should work is that the HR Department (which consists of 8 people) is informed when someone quits, because that’s a key part of their job, and then they send me notice that said person has quit. What I’ve found in the last few weeks is that this has fallen apart completely. Now, it’s a trying time and everyone is rather busy so I have a reasonable level of forgiveness for mistakes and tardiness. However, at least 4 separate times in the past two weeks someone has quit and HR didn’t notify me of this event  for several days after. In fact, today, I learned that an employee had quit, two weeks ago, and not only did I not learn about this until today, I only found out because I noticed he wasn’t at his desk, asked his coworkers how he was doing, and then learned he’d quit; so HR knew about it, and didn’t even tell me. Surprise surprise, guy’s badge was still on, still had access to all his old logins and company files, hell he was still getting company emails; for two weeks!
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Alkaid13 said:
    Dispatch from Crazy Town:

This will require a little build-up:

So, for security purposes, we have badge readers on all the doors to prevent people from just waltzing in, notably what with the pandemic and all, I was told to deactivate driver’s badges so that they would only have access to the front lounge which is cordoned off from the rest of building. This made sense at the time because the drivers frequently interact with lots of people across lots of states so for health reasons it’s good to distance them from the employees. Apparently no one in upper management told anyone this other than me though because as late as this Monday people were still just letting drivers in to wander around and touch whatever, this after I explicitly told management that probably they should have a company safety meeting so people got the memo. Also whoever assigned badges before I got here did a terrible job with giving out access levels because I found several drivers had access levels far beyond their pay grades which I had to correct to prevent them from entering. 

So that leads into today’s fun; ostensibly, we have both an HR Department and a Safety Department who, logically, would keep track of when employees or drivers quit and make sure to deactivate their badges so they couldn’t, I don’t know, come in and shoot the place up if they felt vindictive or something. Now I’ve long since given up on anyone in that department being timely on doing that so I’ve taken it upon myself to make sure everyone’s badges are in fact deactivated when they quit. This of course is in addition to my actual role of removing their access to company files and logins and whatnot which perfectly within the IT role.

Now the way this should work is that the HR Department (which consists of 8 people) is informed when someone quits, because that’s a key part of their job, and then they send me notice that said person has quit. What I’ve found in the last few weeks is that this has fallen apart completely. Now, it’s a trying time and everyone is rather busy so I have a reasonable level of forgiveness for mistakes and tardiness. However, at least 4 separate times in the past two weeks someone has quit and HR didn’t notify me of this event  for several days after. In fact, today, I learned that an employee had quit, two weeks ago, and not only did I not learn about this until today, I only found out because I noticed he wasn’t at his desk, asked his coworkers how he was doing, and then learned he’d quit; so HR knew about it, and didn’t even tell me. Surprise surprise, guy’s badge was still on, still had access to all his old logins and company files, hell he was still getting company emails; for two weeks!
    Jesus H. Christ. Poor off-boarding is a HUGE security and safety concern - as you well know. I don't envy you.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited March 25
    It’s fucking ridiculous, I’ve already assumed that they’re too incompetent to turn off people’s badges but I literally can’t help them if they refuse to inform me an employee has quit when they’ve had a week’s notice. Again I’d cut them some slack if this wasn’t the fourth time in a few weeks, and I’ve had about as many conversations with The HR Manager about this so she’s either ignoring me or has the attention span of a goldfish. 
  • Earlier this month I reallocated my son's 529 to a more conservative mix of investments ... Thinking of doing the same for my 401k today after 2 days of growth ... I have a suspicion we're not at the bottom and it could help limit the damage this year

On the other hand trying to time the market is dumb and I should just leave it be because I'm not retiring for 25+ years .... right??

JaimieTDoctor_Nick
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

I can't see how this situation is much different than that one, and people are so upset we're not handling it well...... *sigh* People are the worst. 
    I don't disagree.

But I don't want to live in a constant state of fear and anxiety (well more so than it's become already).
    JaimieT
    edited March 25
    I... I think I might have it.  :D I'm gonna wait a day before I do anything, make sure I'm not psyching myself out.

Edit: Ehhhhhh I probably have it. I made an appointment for tomorrow.

Give me that sweet, sweet immunity.
    ken hale
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

I don't disagree.

But I don't want to live in a constant state of fear and anxiety (well more so than it's become already).

It sucks because I adopted a "that'll never happen" philosophy with both pandemics and solar flares...  I need to prep better going forward, I guess.
    Flukes
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    MrX said:

Earlier this month I reallocated my son's 529 to a more conservative mix of investments ... Thinking of doing the same for my 401k today after 2 days of growth ... I have a suspicion we're not at the bottom and it could help limit the damage this year

On the other hand trying to time the market is dumb and I should just leave it be because I'm not retiring for 25+ years .... right??

I would leave it alone.  Now is the time to buy if you have a solid gig and available cash sitting around. 
    MrX
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    This chest pain is, uh... scary.

I just want to say, ITT I maintained my right to not be careful, but in reality I was so careful. So, be extra careful if you don't want it! If I have it, I got it from the grocery store, Target, or 1 of 3 restaurants I got take-out from.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    JaimieT said:

I just want to say, ITT I maintained my right to not be careful, but in reality I was so careful. So, be extra careful if you don't want it! If I have it, I got it from the grocery store, Target, or 1 of 3 restaurants I got take-out from.
    oh man I really hope you don't have it.   :/
    JaimieT
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    JaimieT said:

I really hope you're ok Jaimie. Please let us know if you're able to get tested.
    JaimieT
  • Jaimie!! Stay optomistic, the chest pain could just be a mild heart attack from all the stress! Just kidding, of course. I really hope you don't have it and I'm glad you made an appointment to get checked out. Please keep us updated.
    JaimieTMichaelGFlukesweeniegirl
    Look, if I'm going upend my life for this sunafabitch, I sure as hell better get it at some point! Thanks for the sympathy, I'll update my status tomorrow after seeing the doctor.
    MichaelGFlukes
  • edited March 25
    Good luck and remember if you can't get a test: 

JaimieTasmallcat
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    On a personal note regarding mental health - take from it what you want.

I've been seeing a therapist for the past month or 2 for depression. Lately, I've been having increased anxiety and fixation on consuming news and information during almost every waking minute.  Just completely fixated on my phone, bouncing from site to site and social media platforms.  It got to the point where it was making me physically ill. I felt like a rat pushing a reward button that was just zapping me with adrenaline every so often. I just couldn't stop pressing that button to get more and more news and information about this thing.  It has been getting really bad.  

My therapist advised that I narrow my focus to 2 sources, preferably video based. So for example, watch the white house press task force press briefing (including the reporter question time), and maybe watch the evening news for about an hour, the more local the better.  I'm considering subbing out the press briefing for PBS Newshour, we'll see. This is my first week of trying this. It's really hard for me not to ping my phone right now for more information, but I do feel a little bit better. I encourage everyone to evaluate your media consumption right now and be mindful about how it's effecting your mental health. 

I don't want to be uninformed or in  denial about what is going on around me, but I want to focus more on information that effects me and my family, not overwhelmed by the constant awful news pouring in all over the world right now. 

Again, just hope everyone remembers that your mental health is critical right now. Take care of yourselves and each other. I'm thankful for this forum to read other's experiences and share my own as well. 
    JaimieTCoryDeeJimElisaweeniegirl
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    JaimieT said:

I'm 17+ days out and my breathing and chest still aren't right. Take care of yourself and if things go sideways don't hesitate to get help.
    @JaimieT take care Jamie. Who did you make an appointment with? Many providers do e-visits before recommending you go in and potentially expose yourself or others, have you considered this?
    edited March 25
    This is a worthwhile read that won’t necessarily  freak you out - a local guy here in my town (a podcaster actually as well), my age, who has recovered. Don’t see a lot off accounts like this out there now:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/covid-19-rocked-his-world-and-hes-young-and-healthy/

Private browsing will give you access if it’s blocked.

For what it’s worth, I work in a large public library system and my wife is a teacher - even with our relatively large work networks, we don’t personally know anyone who has even been tested for it yet, let alone a positive (knock on wood). And I live in the hot zone. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Seriously fuck this guy....if the world does end I hope he’s eaten alive Mad Max style as a hungry mob invade his mansion and tear him apart. 

MichelleDeeNoel
    fidoz said:
    JaimieT said:

I'm 17+ days out and my breathing and chest still aren't right. Take care of yourself and if things go sideways don't hesitate to get help.

Were you ever tested for it? I went back to check your initial comment discussing symptoms but it didn't say.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

I don't disagree.

It sucks because I adopted a "that'll never happen" philosophy with both pandemics and solar flares...  I need to prep better going forward, I guess.
    You're not alone, there's about 7 billion of us.
    JaimieT
    Very good @Hatorian. Someone mentioned praying earlier and I knew we had to get around to this, balance the scale of partiality.

@MichaelG Yeah, none of the test process will involve exposing others.

@fidoz It's sometimes hard to tell if this chest shit isn't bizarre anxiety. But I have soreness, fatigue and head fog too. I'll know tomorrow.
    Hatorian