MLB 2020

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
with spring raining starting today, i think it's about time for an MLB 2020 thread! i'll be doing my annual Ferris Bueller Opening Day Off on 3/26, and hopefully will be in attendance for the Astos first regular season road game on 3/30. looking forward to this season!

hey @Noel - y'all got a new fancy stadium this year huh? any plans to checking it out sooner than later?

Michelle

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 23
    Let's go, Oakland! :star: Oakland Athletics

Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Astros World Champs let’s go!
    MichelleNoelMurderbear
    edited February 23
    I'm ready for a whole lot of this this season.  :)

cdrive said:
    Astros World Champs let’s go!
    I gotta say, that's some real dedication. :sweat_smile:
    cdriveChinaskiNoel
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    you see what Brett Anderson said when asked if the A's cheated? :D

"I know the A's weren't cheating," Anderson told The Athletic. "Because, one, I don't know if they could afford it. And to relay from f---ing 300 yards away in the video room? What were we going to do, get some vendor to throw some popcorn up in the air, or something? It's too f---ing far to relay something.

"The lights go out, it's a curveball," Anderson said. "If there's a sewage backup, it's a fastball."

Michelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    hey @Noel - y'all got a new fancy stadium this year huh? any plans to checking it out sooner than later?
    Later, unfortunately. My work schedule has changed over the last few months so it’s gonna be tough for me to get out in time for first pitch at 7:05.  :/

But if all goes well, I’ll be at a game around a month or so into the season. Sucks that I probably won’t be there for first time the Astros are in town. I also want to see what my more baseball-dedicated friends say about it. Best places to sit, areas to avoid and best food options etc.
  • thoughts on how well Betts will do with his new team?
  • mjmullady said:
    thoughts on how well Betts will do with his new team?

I think he'll do decent.  Maybe some of his power numbers go down from playing half his games at Fenway.  But whether he's going to be worth the contract he's looking for, that remains to be seen to me and this year might say a lot about it.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28948489/mets-noah-syndergaard-expected-undergo-tommy-john-surgery

Man this is why you can’t build a team around pitching. The Mets arguable had one of the best rotations since the 90s braves with Degrom, Syndergard, Harvey and Matz. When they swept the Cubs in 2015 I thought it was the start of a similar pitching dynasty but nope. Harvey’s arm fell off, Matz hasn’t turned into the pitcher he was prospected to be and Sydergard can’t stay healthy. 

Meanwhile the Red Sox, Cubs and Astro’s all won WS on the back of position players. Specially the Cubs and Astros who drafted multiple position players with top 5 picks. 

Obviously you need an Ace as Sherzer proved with the nationals last year. But it’s so hard to not only hit on pitching but stay healthy. 
  • In the end the truth will come out and we will find out that the pandemic was started by the Astros to keep fans this season at away games from taunting them for cheating.

HatorianMichelleNoel
    CapeGabe said:
    In the end the truth will come out and we will find out that the pandemic was started by the Astros to keep fans this season at away games from taunting them for cheating.

CapeGabeChinaskiNoelMichelleHatorian
  • We are so in a simulation. 

i should be tailgating right now, getting ready for Opening Day :(
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
     :'(    omg tailgating with some ice cold beers sounds sooooooooo effin good right now!  Just getting an ice cold can of beer tossed your way and cracking it open....BUSCHHHHHHHHHHH   

ChinaskiMichelle
    Chinaski said:
    Right?!?!??????
    This sucks. :cry:
    Chinaski
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I think I’m going to pick the best most exciting season for my team and rewatch as if it’s the first time. Of course I’m controlling the outcome because obviously I’ll pick a year we win the World Series!
    Chinaski
    I think I’m going to pick the best most exciting season for my team and rewatch as if it’s the first time. Of course I’m controlling the outcome because obviously I’ll pick a year we win the World Series!
    Yankees right? i remember they pretty much destroyed everyone the year after i graduated high school, which was the 1998 season.
    Teresa from Concord
    RIP Astros Legend Jimmy "The Toy Cannon” Wynn.

Grew up in Cincinnati playing against Roger Staubach in football and Pete Rose in baseball. 

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    damn. this is a very interesting read. talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29161983/passan-20-questions-why-financial-battle-2020-mlb-season-get-really-really-ugly
  • Interesting to read stuff from former players and active players.  Clearly for multiple reasons, it would be great to have some professional sports back in our lives and would be uplifting, but obviously, players are deserving of their compensation as well as they deserve safe conditions to play as well.  Just going to be an interesting battle/decision that is made.

On a side note, if the season does get cancelled, I really think it's kind of cheap for suspensions and such to be counted.  Suspensions should be enforced once games are actually being played.  At least, that's my opinion.