Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Just a quick update as this week's shaken out at work. My main project's team has been cut in half - all outside consultants and off-shore resources are gone save one. The good news is that it's both simplified my schedule (less coordination with India) and made me personally responsible for enough that I think I'm unlikely to be furloughed in the short term. There are no guarantees, but unless I'm being sandbagged in a truly sadistic fashion, I'm probably safe for now.

If I combine this with the support announced by our Provincial and Federal governments this week and the ability to defer my mortgage and some other bills if needed, I feel like my family will be ok financially for at least a little while. I am keenly aware that this makes us an exception.
    JaimieTMurderbearGiovanniJim
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    LordBy said:
    PCP = Primary Care Physician
    I was joking. Apparently not that well. 
    hisdudeness915LordBy
  • LordBy said:
    PCP = Primary Care Physician
    I was joking. Apparently not that well. 

Brave new world. After two knuckleheads drank aquarium cleaner because it sounded close to the malaria drug we can't take any chances. 

MurderbearGiovanni
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Darwinism?
    Murderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Isn't the UK at home test a test for antibodies to see if you've already had it?
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    The US now has the most confirmed cases - we’re winning!! MAGA lol
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    MichaelG said:
    More than China?  That's UNREAL, considering their population and it started there.

I mean obviously you're going to have more than us, but more than EVERY country?
    Cory said: Kool
    MichaelG said:
    More than China?  That's UNREAL, considering their population and it started there.

I mean obviously you're going to have more than us, but more than EVERY country?
    Actually I saw we passed China, I just assumed that meant we were in the lead but maybe Italy is higher. I don’t feel like chasing that stat down right now bc I might fall into a wormhole. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 27
  • edited March 27
    Cory said:
    MichaelG said:

In China,  after sticking their heads in the sand and then starting to take it seriously, they were literally boarding people in or forcibly removing people to put into quarantine areas. A bit easier to contain people when they have no freedom. 

On the flip side people in America are free to be total asses and endanger other people.

I guess the optimum place would be a free country where civic responsibility was exercised freely. 

GiovannirhcoopElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    That’s me all day. 
    CapeGabeMurderbearFlukes
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    https://us.yahoo.com/news/college-student-licked-airplane-toilet-144958668.html

I Guess it’s up to us millennials and Gen X to save the world. 

The boomers destroyed the planet and Gen Z apparently has no brain cells...
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Boris Johnson has tested positive.
  • MichaelG said:
    And for some fucking reason Trump's approval rating is going up. Maybe we deserve this as a country. 
  • edited March 27
    Here's a thought work podcast I've been listening to for some time that has some helpful mindset advice for overcoming anxiety. This link is to the first pandemic-specific episode, but she has released more since then too, and you can find them on her website or any podcatcher:
    https://unfuckyourbrain.com/pandemic-panic/ And guys, don't be put off by the intro about using feminism to rewire your brain. Most of her advice is universal, especially regarding this subject.

EDIT: I'm re-listening to the one I linked, and noticing that she often refers to "the model" - if you're new to this, she covers it in earlier episodes of her podcast, but these are screenshots I took from a free webinar she did a while back where she discussed her thought model. I'm an insane note-taker, and have been interested in this stuff for a while, because it really seems helpful for my non-woo based brain.

GiovanniJaimieTFlukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Marci said:
    Here's a thought work podcast I've been listening to for some time that has some helpful mindset advice for overcoming anxiety. This link is to the first pandemic-specific episode, but she has released more since then too, and you can find them on her website or any podcatcher:
    https://unfuckyourbrain.com/pandemic-panic/ And guys, don't be put off by the intro about using feminism to rewire your brain. Most of her advice is universal, especially regarding this subject.
    Thanks. I'm going to start listening to this.  

To be honest guys I'm completely stressed out and terrified.  I have reached my boiling point.  
    Marci
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I feel that. I'm looking forward to a normal night of sleep one day. I'm pretty good at keeping the anxiety at bay during the day, but it just waits until night when I'm falling asleep, when I can't be so vigilant. I have to play a podcast/YouTube to fall asleep to, every night.  :(
    MarcicdriveHatorianGan
    @cdrive

I hear you, I’ve been in the same place as you, but I’m starting to feel better.

I suggest drastically limiting the amount and type of information you are consuming. For me, it has helped to restrict my exposure to the written news, especially from national outlets like Nytimes and WaPo. I think they are doing good and valuable work, but I realized it was making me teeter towards panic and anxiety that was not beneficial to me. 

I’ve been listening to Nytimes The Daily, NPR’s Up First, occasional visit to the NPR news site, an extremely local paper, and maybe watching national/local news summary at night. 

Check out Sam Harris’ recent podcast called “meditation in an emergency.” Hammers home the importance of being very mindful of your thought patterns and information diet right now.
    MarcicdriveDeeGiovanni
  • Here's another podcast I like a lot: The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos.
    If you look at this link (or any podcatcher for the most recent episodes), she's been doing a series about coping right now. https://www.happinesslab.fm/
    I haven't listened to them all yet, but I generally find this podcast very helpful.

cdriveGiovanni
  • MichaelG said:
    I suggest drastically limiting the amount and type of information you are consuming. For me, it has helped to restrict my exposure to the written news, especially from national outlets like Nytimes and WaPo. I think they are doing good and valuable work, but I realized it was making me teeter towards panic and anxiety that was not beneficial to me. 

I’ve been listening to Nytimes The Daily, NPR’s Up First, occasional visit to the NPR news site, an extremely local paper, and maybe watching national/local news summary at night. 
    I need to work on this. It seems that it's all we can talk about, rightly so, but there's only so much information and you just drown in the same macabre cycle. I use a radio alarm clock set to NPR, and without fail, I wake up every day to the latest casualty/infection report. Not a good way to start the day locked in with myself.
    JaimieTMichaelGElisa
    Marci said:

EDIT: I'm re-listening to the one I linked, and noticing that she often refers to "the model" - if you're new to this, she covers it in earlier episodes of her podcast, but these are screenshots I took from a free webinar she did a while back where she discussed her thought model. I'm an insane note-taker, and have been interested in this stuff for a while, because it really seems helpful for my non-woo based brain.

EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST.

Btw, I think she cut the feminist stuff out. Mine says "updated" and it's not at the beginning.
    FlukesGiovanni
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'm up and down every day. I'm lucky to be busy during the day, but the anxiety creeps in quickly in any break. Time spent playing video games as an escape is usually a good proxy for my anxiety level and I've been playing at least 1-2 hours of Doom most nights this week.
    JaimieTGiovanni
    Some people are going to go through this pandemic having done no mental health work, and that's fine. There's not a right way to be. But, for some of us, this pandemic can be like fucking free therapy, because we're all experiencing it. We can all speak about it in an educated way. It's a wonderful model. And if we get to the other side, we're going to be better off for the work we did here. 
    FlukesMarciweeniegirl
  • JaimieT said:
    EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST.

Btw, I think she cut the feminist stuff out. Mine says "updated" and it's not at the beginning.
    I'm so glad you're listening to it @JaimieT! I think it's such a helpful approach.
    I registered but wasn't able to livewatch a free webinar she did last night, but she sent out a link to it that will be up for a short time. Hope it works - it's a locked Vimeo and I think only people who were registered got the link, but here it is:
    I haven't listened yet, but plan to in the next day or so.

I'm listening to all the recent Happiness Lab podcast episodes, and I particularly resonated with the one with Bill Irvine. It's titled "Rising to a Challenge." I highly recommend it!

JaimieT
    I need to go grocery shopping and after my recent scare with getting sick, I'm feeling even more cautious. Delivery/Pickup options are not available, sold out. I'm thinking about wearing my N95-adjacent mask... I guess if I think I MIGHT have had it I really should. But I fucking hate getting looked at, and the idea of checking out with a cashier with the mask on is also terrible... insulting somehow. Funny how it could mean death for me and others but it's still a concern. Similar to how some people fear giving a speech more than death, I guess. The evolutionary compulsion to blend in for survival. Maybe I should go to the Kroger down the street, which has manual check-out.

---

@Marci - I am thinking about joining that group myself. It seems like something I've been looking for lately. Thanks for the link!
  • @Marci - I am thinking about joining that group myself. It seems like something I've been looking for lately. Thanks for the link!
    Oh, that's cool! I plan to do it at some point too. I actually had planned to start it soon, since I just wrapped up a round of therapy to deal with some specific issues and was feeling really good about that, so it seemed like a great time to get deeper into thought work. But since the job loss, I'm a little hesitant to spend the money right now. Still, it's cheaper than therapy and I have more time for it now, so it may be a good time to do it anyway. From what I can gather, you get a good overview of the model within the first 5-6 weeks and you get a lot of materials you can continue to work with on your own. If you stay in for 3 months, you get some additional bonus stuff, plus the extra time on exclusive podcasts she does just for members and with the group on Facebook. There are additional things for more time in too, but I was estimating that I would want a 2-3 month membership (it's $97 per month).

Good luck with the grocery trip. I'd feel a little weird about the mask too, but I think it may become the new normal soon, and you're right - you'd be protecting yourself and others if you did it.

JaimieT
  • Teresa from ConcordMarciDoubleA_RonJaimieTCapeGabeMichaelGDeeFlukesMattyWeavesCoryand 8 others.
    So many people are wearing masks right now! This is truly the best reality. If it were socially acceptable I wouldn't even have a face.
    MarciMrXCoryGan
    JaimieT said:
    So many people are wearing masks right now! This is truly the best reality. If it were socially acceptable I wouldn't even have a face.
    Our grocery stores out here are getting trippy:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/plexiglass-sneeze-shields-coming-to-a-supermarket-near-you/

JaimieTGan