Twitch Watch Party Tonight, 4/8/20! ST:TNG, "Encounter at Farpoint" 1 and 2

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Hey, we're going to try the twitch side of Watch Parties tonight at 9PM EST.  There are a few advantages; one, we can show the video and audio in sync with our webcams and mics, which is a first. This has been something we've wanted to do for a long time.

All  you need is a twitch account, an Amazon Prime account, and to link them together. More info on that process and where to watch here: https://baldmove.com/watch-party/announcement-2/

If this works out, there may be other shows we experiment with. Hope to see all the Picard fans there tonight... "Farpoint" is pretty terrible, but you know we love Trek so we're going to have a lot of fun with it. All are welcome, Trekker/Trekkie/Normie, Club Member or no!
ChinaskiJaimieTMichelleBrooklynMDGeorge

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Sooooo stoked for this.
    A_Ron_HubbardCory
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Total normie (is that someone who doesn't watch the show?) here, but will be there for the fun side of this.  :)
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • soooo few watchable episodes of seasons 1. Conspiracy was good. it's not ep 1 or 2 though.

I always love John DeLancie though, so....
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    TNG is on Prime?  Can I do this from Canada?
    JaimieTA_Ron_Hubbard

• The Expanse and Good Omens are on the list! Woo hoo.

This was fantastic.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cory said:
    The answer is no. Not even with a VPN.
    I need to get this working on my Chrome browser. Whatever I had was NOT what everyone else had because I had to play J/A on my phone, with chat. Couldn't get chat to show up in my browser. Eh, later.

@Cory that's a bummer!

Cory
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Cory said:
    Cory said:
    The answer is no. Not even with a VPN.
    That blows! Hopefully they'll roll it out to other locales soon. In the meantime, we'll try to do a countdown for everybody so they can sync up the old fashioned way.
    Cory
    edited April 9
    Just a thought... can't you pause and it's synced for us? Some chat involvement would be nice, maybe in the commercial breaks, or just once halfway through. Otherwise it's like we're watching a video of you watching something. But I know you were doing that a little. 

Edit: if it's possible for you to pause/skip around the episode, if you ever wanted to, say, rewind something funny to see it again, that would be so exciting for this technophile... that's the sort of fantastic interaction that only flies IRL, and to think we could do that over the internet is exciting. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    @JaimieT It worked fine for me in Chrome, though I was busy with other things and didn't get to participate.  I just tried it out briefly to see how it worked.  

After going to twitch.tv/baldmove it asked me to authorize my prime membership, then it replaced the main video with the episode and put a smaller video above chat with the boys feed.  I had to unmute the boys feed manually, as it was muted by default.  Then everything just worked!  

I was playing boardgames via boardgamearena.com and yucata.de with my normal wednesday night group, so I turned the sound down really low and closed it out after 5 minutes or so as it was too distracting and I didn't want to lose the games.  (I won both the games we played!)
    edited April 9
    @JoshTheBlack Chat is hidden on my browser for some reason. I tried EVERY FUCKING BUTTON. It's hard to Google how to fix this; you get a lot of chatter about showing chat in OBS for streamers. If anyone knows where the toggle button is and wants to tell me, that would be great. 

Edit: oh God, I think I found it. Wowowow I hovered on it so many times but didn't click, last night. "Expand" seemed not right.
  • JaimieT said:
    @JoshTheBlack Chat is hidden on my browser for some reason. I tried EVERY FUCKING BUTTON. It's hard to Google how to fix this; you get a lot of chatter about showing chat in OBS for streamers. If anyone knows where the toggle button is and wants to tell me, that would be great. 

Edit: oh God, I think I found it. Wowowow I hovered on it so many times but didn't click, last night. "Expand" seemed not right.
    I had same problem. I ended up opening Twitch on my phone and setting it to Chat Only.

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I watched the twitch and did chat on my phone, and then my TV has an Amazon app that I synced as best I could. I’m sure there was a fancier way to do it but I wasn’t about to try to figure it out.
    edited April 9
    CapeGabe said:
    JaimieT said:

I had same problem. I ended up opening Twitch on my phone and setting it to Chat Only.

Yeah, it's really fucking hard for me to believe I didn't push that button, because I pushed every button about 10 times. In the end, I did that too -- put chat on my phone. It wasn't a great way to watch. I'd prefer it on the screen. But I'll figure it out eventually.

And Jesus, there was like NO time to troubleshoot anything on stream. To my memory, the time between stream start and episode start was like 20 seconds. :D 

Oh, and I couldn't put the phone stream to "chat only" because then it would hide the BM commentary! I just didn't set it to watch party mode (which isn't available on mobile anyway).
  • I watched on my phone due to being busy with other stuff, but this seemed fantastic and was funny even without being able to see the episode. I hope you guys do this often.
  • Gad dam that was fun!  Do more please.
    Teresa from ConcordJaimieT
  • Apparently these newfangled internet apps want your computer to be less than 8 years old...
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Once I was able to get over the issue with my internet causing occasional buffering, it was all good.  The vid of the actual show didn't do it, just the vid of the guys watching.  So I played the vid on my desktop and listened to the guys' audio portion on the app on my phone.  It was fun though, despite my many stupid jokes. :smirk:  Definitely looking forward to the next one!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    JaimieT said:
    Just a thought... can't you pause and it's synced for us? Some chat involvement would be nice, maybe in the commercial breaks, or just once halfway through. Otherwise it's like we're watching a video of you watching something. But I know you were doing that a little. 

Edit: if it's possible for you to pause/skip around the episode, if you ever wanted to, say, rewind something funny to see it again, that would be so exciting for this technophile... that's the sort of fantastic interaction that only flies IRL, and to think we could do that over the internet is exciting. 
    I believe that once the party is going it cannot be paused or stopped until the end of the episode, a weakness as compared to Netflix's implementation. We tried that several times with our Pawn Stars test stream. We can pause, but the behind the scenes/control panel keeps the time line rolling and there doesn't appear to be away to stop/pause that. I don't think that's like an intended feature, it's just the system isn't very mature. 

Also, if the thing crashes or stops for whatever reason, there is no way to resume, which I could foresee being a major bummer down the line. 
    Wow, they really haven't developed this very much. It's not tremendously distinct from a verbal countdown, yeah. 
    CapeGabe
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 12
    We wish you a Merry Qmas
    We wish you a Merry Qmas
    We wish you a Merry Qmas
    And a Happy Q Year
    JaimieT
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Freddy said:
    We wish you a Merry Qmas
    We wish you a Merry Qmas
    We wish you a Merry Qmas
    And a Happy New Q
    That ornament is on our tree every year. Alexis hates it, but she tolerates for my sake.