What are you binging right now?

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Chinaski said:
    Rescue Me was good. why hide your head in shame? think i may rewatch that next.

This show brings back memories of the Blockbuster mail service watching three episodes at a time on DVDs. I liked Rescue Me but I wonder how weird this is to watch this far removed from 9/11, I remember at the time feeling like it was exploiting the firefighters who died or risked their lives for cheap sympathy points.

Chinaskiken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    Rescue Me was good. why hide your head in shame? think i may rewatch that next.
    Only because I forgot about it. I’m a proud fan. I have the DVDs!
    Chinaski
  • I watched all ten season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Season 9 was my favorite, but that show is really consistent.  Definitely weird seeing all the actors age so much over what are relatively short seasons.    

That show's pretty heavy on toxic male energy, so I started The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel next.  really good, of course.  I only planned to watch one season but I'm right on to the second now.  It's funny, this show came out around the same time as another "standup" - themed show called "Im Dying Up Here."  I started watching that one and passed on this.  That was the wrong choice.
    darthcaedus1138
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ken hale said:
    I watched all ten season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Season 9 was my favorite, but that show is really consistent. 
    i was not a fan of S9. it was just bad and forced writing. esp with annoying ass Lin-Manuel. it had some moments, but def the worse season of the 10 imo.
    fidoz
  • I've been rewatching Breaking Bad for the first time since it ended. I feel like I am going to be the only person in the universe who thinks this but the first 3 seasons really have not held up well for me. I am on Season 4 and it is as good as I remembered but I am surprised how much the show has dropped in my esteem during this rewatch. 
    CoryElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Interesting @BrooklynMD. Now I want to rewatch to see if that happens. 
  • JaimieT said:
    Interesting @BrooklynMD. Now I want to rewatch to see if that happens. 
    Maybe it's just white anti-hero fatigue from the last 2 decades but I can not for the life of me muster any sort of sympathy or affection for Walt even in the beginning. Perhaps that's colored by what I know about him in the future but the only thing about him that makes you root for him is that he has lung cancer, and while that is of course tragic, it's also a pretty cliche way for generating sympathy for your main character. I also realize how insane the backlash against Skyler was considering she is the only person acting even remotely rationally early on.

But the biggest thing is that everyone raves about how tightly plotted and constructed every detail of this show is, but on this rewatch I realize just how insanely lucky Walt gets at every turn. He gets in a near impossible bind 2-3 times a season and by sheer dumb luck he gets away to cook more meth and this time around it just seems really unbelievable. The writers don't do a good enough job in the first season establishing how smart Walt is supposed to be so some of the near misses seem  like plot contrivances and false tension. That being said, Gus Fring and Saul Goodman are just as awesome as they ever were. 
    JaimieT
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I've been rewatching Breaking Bad for the first time since it ended. I feel like I am going to be the only person in the universe who thinks this but the first 3 seasons really have not held up well for me. I am on Season 4 and it is as good as I remembered but I am surprised how much the show has dropped in my esteem during this rewatch. 
    For some reason, I remember the show just being a nonstop thrill ride. But it has some really slow parts. I still love it, but I am worried about watching it again also, because I don't want to be disappointed either. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    PSA Bosch season 6 released a little early. It's up on Amazon now.
    CapeGabe
  • edited April 17
    Chinaski said:
    ken hale said:
    I watched all ten season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Season 9 was my favorite, but that show is really consistent. 
    i was not a fan of S9. it was just bad and forced writing. esp with annoying ass Lin-Manuel. it had some moments, but def the worse season of the 10 imo.

I really just disagree.  I haven't laughed so hard in a long time as I did at season 9, and this is after binging the whole series I haven't laughed that hard.  They finally just turned the absurdity up to 11 and I was losing it at how over-the-top his mannerisms and off-script ranting was.  Honestly a LOT of the plots are very forced (or overly contrived)  throughout the whole series, so I didn't even notce that.

Chinaski
  • edited April 17
    fidoz said:
    I feel like that show must hold the record for longevity among streaming shows. Quick google search doesn't answer the question but six seasons is a lot for a streaming-service drama, right?

• Netflix has their philosophy of many shows but not necessarily long lasting or high quality. I wonder if Amazon will try to do theirs differently
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    ken hale said:
    fidoz said:
    I feel like that show must hold the record for longevity among streaming shows. Quick google search doesn't answer the question but six seasons is a lot for a streaming-service drama, right?

Orange Is The New Black ran 7 seasons. Bosch has been renewed for a 7th and final season. 
    ken hale
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Finished Schitt's Creek last night. A comedy shouldn't make me cry this much.
    MrX
  • Dee said:
    Bluey. It’s an Australian children’s TV show and each episode is about 6 minutes long. It is so charming and genuinely funny (and not just dumb toddler jokes funny), and really calming amidst all the stress going on. I’m hooked and I’ve been watching a bunch of episodes each night before I go to sleep. 

If you have access to it (it won an Emmy so I’m assuming it on American TV somewhere?) I highly  recommend checking it out. You don’t need to have small children to enjoy it. Seriously. 

@Dee I owe you a million dollarbucks for this recommendation! Started watching Bluey with my 4.5 yr old and love it. It's a beautiful little show.
    Deeken hale
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I was watching Bosch and googling the different actors as I'm wont to do when I discover the actress that play Maddie Bosch is Madison Lintz who also played Carol's daughter Sophia on The Walking Dead. Madison Lintz is the sister of Matt Lintz who played Henry, Carol's adopted son on The Walking Dead. 
    ken hale
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 18
    @MrX How good is it! I’ve watched all of S1 and S2 and now I’ve gotten in the habit of rewatching a few favourite episodes when I go to bed. I’ve never been so obsessed with a children’s show even when I was child. 

P.S. Dad is so great. My new favourite TV dad, move over Hal from Malcolm In The Middle. 
    MrX
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    It sucks bluey is on Disney plus which isn’t available here but luckily a lot of episodes are on YouTube. And there’s always the Bay if needed 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian For this one I’m gonna say acquire by any means necessary.

HatorianNoel
    I’m already on it. The countdown to 100% is a few hours
    NoelDee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian Cool, cool, cool, cool. Let me know when you’re ready to discuss favourite episodes. 
    There’s only a season 1 right? But it’s like 52 episodes? So basically once a week since maybe 2018?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 18
    @Hatorian There’s half a season two that was just released last week - 26 episodes. 
    edited April 18
    Nice! Good to know there is reinforcements on the way after s1. Kids love it. My
    fav So far was hospital. Given my recent time spent there. Honestly all the episodes that have them playing male belief of stuff like a hotel or claw machine is gold. 
    Dee
  • I'm 2 episode away from finishing my Mad Men rewatch for the umpteenth time.  This might really be my last go-through for a while, I feel like there's nothing left for me to glean from another rewatch at least in this stage of my life.

I finished The Young Pope and while I loved the Bald Move coverage I was really forcing myself to get through this show.  It was promising at certain moments but then it would just slip through my hands again.  I thought that would turn around for me, but it never hooked me.  Does anyone have any experience not really liking The Young Pope but enjoying The New Pope more or less?

The Twitch party is pushing me to catch up on The Expanse and finally read books 7 and 8 but I want to pace myself on the show and see if these Twitch parties continue because they are such a good time.  I love this community.  

JaimieT
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 18
    @Hatorian Hospital is one of my favourites. Hotel is great - “Hello, how are you? We are very nice.” “My name is Slobbadobba.” 

Other S1 faves for me: Bike, Bob Bilby, Butterflies, Takeaway, Yoga Ball, The Creek, Bumpy And The Wise Old Wolfhound, and the one I love the most is Camping. 

Do you have any favourites yet, @MrX?
  • BOSH
    Amazon

This has been one of my favorite series for a while and look forward to the premier each May. The atmospherics in this show are second to none. Modern Noir. Being an east coaster I've never felt any connection to LA stories but this show purposely make LA a character and it really draws you in.

This season was good. It was a combination of an old book and a recent book.

Mild Spoiler
    They take a trope story and go somewhere else with it.

Next year will be the final season.

• Dee said:
    @Hatorian Hospital is one of my favourites. Hotel is great - “Hello, how are you? We are very nice.” “My name is Slobbadobba.” 

Other S1 faves for me: Bike, Bob Bilby, Butterflies, Takeaway, Yoga Ball, The Creek, Bumpy And The Wise Old Wolfhound, and the one I love the most is Camping. 

Do you have any favourites yet, @MrX?

We're pacing ourselves so haven't watched a ton yet (still trying to limit screen time with all this craziness :# ) but I really liked the one that took place in Bluey's school, was very artfully done. Also enjoyed The Pool, that has been a good one to bring up how doing the boring stuff is important too.

And yes, the dad is instantly a top-tier tv dad.
    Dee
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    CapeGabe said:
    BOSH
    Amazon

This has been one of my favorite series for a while and look forward to the premier each May. The atmospherics in this show are second to none. Modern Noir. Being an east coaster I've never felt any connection to LA stories but this show purposely make LA a character and it really draws you in.

This season was good. It was a combination of an old book and a recent book.

Mild Spoiler
    They take a trope story and go somewhere else with it.

Next year will be the final season.

Just finished season 6. Great season. Gonna be interesting to see where they go with Edgar in the final season. 
    CapeGabe
  • Watching Peaky Blinders for the first time and it is incredibly. I have no clue how I’ve never seen it before but Cillian Murphy is hypnotic and I’m in love with Helen McCrory 
    JSDCAElisadarthcaedus1138