Art in the Time of Corona

Comments

• MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited April 2
    @Schlupp

2 combo cookers heated hot as hell’s asshole actually. Same idea though - Bake them lid on for 20 mins on then 20 off:

SchluppMichelle
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    redlancer said:
    Working on my Arcade Cabinet for retro gaming fun. Just finished the control panel.
    Starting the wiring this week hopefully

Circling back around to say this is awesome, gonna need some action shots,  take care out here in the PNW.
  • Got some new art done and boy, was it fun to make! I just finished taking Sterling Hundley’s Ideation Lab course. This was my final assignment. It’s called “Sweeper of Dreams” and it was inspired by a short story by Neil Gaiman. I mixed ALL the media for this one ;) It’s 13” x 19” on masonite, with collage, watercolor, ink, acrylic, and colored pencil. 
    I truly had so much fun working this one out that I’m figuring out ways incorporate this process into my next bunch of pieces.

cdriveJaimieTMichellenealMoonMan13
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    That is beautiful, Marci!
    MarciMichelle
  • Thank you @JaimieT! I've never really collaged before, but I really liked it. I'm working it into a piece I'm working on now and I hope it's going to be cool!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Marci you are so talented!
  • Thank you @Michelle!
    Michelle
    edited April 13
    I finished it. I finished it. I finished it.

My UX portfolio.

I still have some tweaks, but it's 99% done. Dear God that SUCKED. It took me about 30 hours. I was delaying it for years. Years. I delayed job hunting because I didn't want to update this portfolio. (I wasn't in love with my last job, and planned to job hunt while I was still working there, but didn't.) Well, I'll be quicker about doing it in the future. It wasn't that bad, once I did it. And the main shit is behind a password but here's a link if you're curious.

It's not high art, but it's kinda art. I mentioned it at the top of this thread and I wanted to say it's done. I enjoy the web design stuff, but the stuff where I have to sell myself, that's just painful. 

And now I can get back to writing novels.
    nealMichelle
  • Looks really good, @JaimieT! I'll bet it feels great to get that done too! You went to Kent State?! Main campus? That's my school!!! I'm old though, so it was a long time ago :)
    JaimieT
    Marci said:
    Looks really good, @JaimieT! I'll bet it feels great to get that done too! You went to Kent State?! Main campus? That's my school!!! I'm old though, so it was a long time ago :)

An online degree. I did my undergrad in Ohio though, physically. Ohio has a special place in my heart. 
  • That's cool! I'm from Ohio originally. I was at Kent in the 80s. I studied technical theater there (scenic and lighting design). We had a great theater program there. One friend from then is now in To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway, and another is Alice Ripley, who won a Tony Award a few years ago, and also Tina Fey's husband Jeff Richmond, who produces and composes music for a lot of her shows and used to pop up on 30 Rock once in a while. Good times!
    JaimieT
  • Kent does have a great theater program.  I saw them do Hair a few months ago it was FAN-TASTIC.
    Marci
  • That's so cool @neal! I haven't been back in years, but man, we had a great time when I was there. We did some excellent shows.
    Yeah, theater kid! I was a theater minor in my undergrad, and I took all technical courses. Fucking best days of my life in that theater. That's cool so many of your friends went on to be successful!
    Marci
  • Yeah, theater is just so much fun! Cool that you got a taste of it too @JaimieT! The summer I turned 21, I landed a job at the Colorado Shakespeare Festival in Boulder. The whole company lived in 2 of the frat houses across the street from the CU campus. We worked really hard, we played really hard, and we had an amazing summer!
    JaimieT
    Happy Earth Day!  This is a collage of some of my photos from my lil' area of Humboldt County. :heart:

JaimieTNoelMarci
    @Michelle So beautiful! I love the road and the snow bank one.
    Michelle
    JaimieT said:
    @Michelle So beautiful! I love the road and the snow bank one.
    Thank you!   I do feel fortunate to be surrounded by the beauty of nature here.  :)
  • On a whim, a while back I wrote here on the forums; several vignettes about how I met my (now) wife.  If I find time, I'll search them out and finish them off in a google doc or something.  I originally figured if I was able to get them down it would make a nice gift to share with her.

Other than that, I helped my dad rewrite a song that he wrote when he was my age.  I have no musical talent so it was just some rewording, really.
    JaimieTMichelleChinaski
  • Such beautiful photos @Michelle!

Here's my latest Bird Whisperer piece for the month of April. It's 8" x 10" watercolor and colored pencil on illustration board.

JaimieTNoelOldGriswoldMichelle
    edited May 1
    Here's an update on my artistic endeavor right now, if you're interested. It's the sort of thing I'd find interesting anyway.

I'm completely blocked on my current project and I'm trying to figure out why. I think I figured out one aspect. Shame. I'm doing a lot of self-help work on shame lately. I've been running from feeling shame my whole life, and I have built up a fuckton of self-imposed shame around my writing. 

I finished a novel in 2010. I started writing it in 2005. I rewrote it several times, edited it with a writing group, queried it, sent chapters to agents who were interested in the pitch. But it was never published, and I didn't want to self-publish it either. Many people have read it, and I'm sure it can't be as terrible as it is in my head. But I've done everything in my power to bury it. Which naturally is so motivating when you're trying to write your second and third novel. Oh yeah, I finished a second manuscript in 2015 which I promptly buried. Look how trustworthy I am, muse!

So, I think my project is to reread the first novel. I also need to find some way to love it, but one step at a time.

It's funny... as I'm procrastinating after this realization, I google'd, "Reading your first novel," to find solidarity. LOL. All the hits are for writing your first novel. Another reminder of how silly it is that I'm ashamed of something many people would aspire to. (Shame on top of shame... I love my brain.)

It's going to be pretty intense. I never thought I'd do this. Wish me luck!
    @Marci I liked this earlier, but I want to say I love the inky blacks, and the shading among the yellow (white on top, green below). It comes together nicely.
  • edited May 1
    Thank you @JaimieT! It was something a little different for me, and I really enjoyed it. I like to try different things for my Bird Whisperer projects when I can, and sometimes I find new techniques I can use later.

I have no idea if this would help with writing, especially with something in long form like a novel, but I got way more productive with my artwork when I stopped putting pressure on myself about making each piece better than the last. I mean, I want to improve, but I just started trying to go with the flow and see what happens. Some pieces will be better than others, but I just have to keep making more art and let the chips fall where they may. Obviously a novel requires a lot of planning, but maybe there's a way to lift some of the pressure you're putting on yourself by reframing the way you think about it? I dunno... I just draw pictures ;)
    JaimieT
  • There's an illustrator whose work I particularly love named Justin Gerard, and he's doing a monthly #letsmakemonsters prompt. The first was for "Rabbat" so this is what I came up with. I also recorded myself drawing the whole thing and sped the video up to make it less than a minute. I don't think I can upload it here, but if anyone wants to see it, here it is on Instagram and Twitter.

JaimieTMichelle
    @Marci I have never heard that before! I like it. That's a good idea. It's true that I'm putting too much pressure on myself, and that's one way to ease off. 
    Marci
  • Awesome! I'm glad it was helpful @JaimieT. It's so easy to put too much pressure on yourself and nothing kills creativity more than doing that. I used to think every piece had to be a major portfolio piece and The Greatest Piece I've Ever Created, and it was paralyzing. By just thinking about each one as one among many, many pieces I'll do, it made me enjoy the process more and loosen up a lot, and the work got better because of that.
    JaimieT
  • edited May 21
    Since I'm unemployed, I've been really focusing on my painting skills and getting ready to get a Patreon going, along with a print shop. I'm working on a bunch of new paintings, but I decided to sit down and really work on my painting skills, take my time, and rework some pieces I did last year so that I would have a portfolio to show at a workshop and conference I went to last fall. The one on the left was the best I could manage less than a year ago. The one on the right is the same piece with just a lot more time put into it. I also painted out the parts that weren't working and just redid them. I'm doing this with several other pieces that seemed finished before and pretty excited to see where I can take them.

JoshuaHeterOldGriswoldJaimieTMichelleNoelSchlupp
    @Marci - phenomenal.
    JaimieTMarci
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited May 23
    I’m still working my way through a Boston Bruins logo cross stitch for my son. Progress is slow but I’ll get there. It's tough find time to stitch as much as I'd like with my classes finishing up and grad school work.  This is half of the yellow which I will then I'll finish the bottom half of the yellow. Then I’ll go back and fill the inside with black

JaimieTMarciMichelle
  • Thank you @Michelle. I didn’t realize how much better the rework was until I was looking at work-in-progress pictures and put the previous “finished” one beside it. I went to a great workshop last November and got helpful feedback from some really amazing artists. One of the most common was to work on my level of finish. Now I really get what they meant! And in a few months, I’ll probably look at this and go, “wow, I could do so much better now.”
    JaimieTMichelle