What are you binging right now?

Comments

• Anyone seen Giri/Haji on Netflix? Was looking up Kelly McDonald after the Trainspotting podcast to see what she's doing now.  Lo and behold, she has a  series that came out last year on Netflix. 

And either Google and Netflix are trolling me together or its a huge coincidence, but Giri/Haji showed up in "my recommendations" right after I searched for Kelly McDonald.
    Elisa
  • Watched all of Room 104 over the last couple days and overall it’s great. So varied, sometimes hilarious, sometimes sad, sometimes remarkable. For a half hour show, it’s really well put together. 
    Elisa
  • Just got caught up on Killing Eve and found this show a very pleasant surprise. I had heard very good things about it but I wasn't sure I'd personally like it very much. Sandra Oh is very good but Jodie Comer absolutely steals the spotlight. She is absolutely electric and although she plays what would typically be a very unlikable character you can't help but love her. 
    Elisarkcrawf
  • Justified rewatch. So goddamn glorious. I almost let myself forget how great that show is. Gonna give season 5 a short leash, but we're mid season 4 now and fuckin loving every minute.

Also, running through Friends again which has been really fun. Been a long time, just the right length too. The jokes are landing again. Feels good.
    Freddy
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Anyone else check out Normal People on Hulu? I'm just 2 episodes in but it's really good. 
    FreddyNoel
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 30
    The Expanse. Started on Saturday, and I'm halfway through the finale of season 3 as we speak. This show is a lot of work. I swear to God, I'll stare intently, bored out of my mind for 5 minutes straight because nothing is happening, but I look away for one second and I've missed the introduction of 3 new characters, 4 ships, and an entire new discovery that violates the laws of molecular physics. The pacing is brutal. Also, Space John Snow is trying too hard. He's no Paul Walker, that's for sure.

I'm all in though. The story is interesting, and the world (universe!?) is even more interesting. Oh yeah, and Amos is the best character on the show. It took me a while to get why people liked him so much, but once you get it, you get it.
    NoelElisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited April 30
    24 season 2 right now. It's the apex of pre-golden age TV.  Jon bois did an amazing 30 minute recap of the entire show which everyone should watch

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Never Have I Ever. I wouldn’t have bothered as it seemed a bit teeny bopper, but my daughter told me I’d like it so I watched the first episode and ended up binge watching the lot over the weekend. It has some very familiar tropes, and the main character is perhaps a little too mean to be really likeable (a Mindy Kaling specialty), but the actress playing her is really good, and there is a ton of charm among the other characters. 
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 3
    Black Sails.  Just read a book about pirates, so am loving the name dropping of real characters so far (Vane, Bonny, Rackham etc..) and the real customs (electing the quartermaster and the captain).  Just into season 1 so far.  
    Elisa
  • My wife and I set out to "check out an episode" of Upload on Amazon yesterday and ended up tearing up the thing over about 5 hours. It had been an incredibly stressful and exhausting week, but we didn't really mean to spend the whole day on the couch, but the show did it. It's by Greg Daniels who was one of the main people behind The Office so it's not too surprising that it would be just dripping with charm. It's really ambitious too. They aren't the same by any means, but I thought a bunch of times while watching it about The Good Place and how Shur gave us his big, bold idea, outside of the box show and here is Daniels'.

One thing that I amused myself with was, with them picking Arrow's brother as the lead, was imagining Robbie Amell saying "they wanted my brother for this role, but luckily it requires talking and moving your arms at the same time so he was disqualified."

Anyhoo, really fantastic, super fun show. I highly recommend it if anyone feels at all inclined.
    Elisa
  • Travis said:
    My wife and I set out to "check out an episode" of Upload on Amazon yesterday and ended up tearing up the thing over about 5 hours. It had been an incredibly stressful and exhausting week, but we didn't really mean to spend the whole day on the couch, but the show did it. It's by Greg Daniels who was one of the main people behind The Office so it's not too surprising that it would be just dripping with charm. It's really ambitious too. They aren't the same by any means, but I thought a bunch of times while watching it about The Good Place and how Shur gave us his big, bold idea, outside of the box show and here is Daniels'.

One thing that I amused myself with was, with them picking Arrow's brother as the lead, was imagining Robbie Amell saying "they wanted my brother for this role, but luckily it requires talking and moving your arms at the same time so he was disqualified."

Anyhoo, really fantastic, super fun show. I highly recommend it if anyone feels at all inclined.
    Also binging it. I'm halfway through. I like the idea and the world but find just about every character unlikable. I'm guessing that some will make the journey to be a better person by the end but it is hard to want to spend time in a world where I don't like hardly anyone.

TravisElisa
  • Black Sails.  Just read a book about pirates, so am loving the name dropping of real characters so far (Vane, Bonny, Rackham etc..) and the real customs (electing the quartermaster and the captain).  Just into season 1 so far.  
    Black Sails was a very underrated show. That show was extremely well written and acted. Might have to revisit this in the near future.
    ElisaDoctor_NickBroRad33
  • CapeGabe said:
    Travis said:
    My wife and I set out to "check out an episode" of Upload on Amazon yesterday and ended up tearing up the thing over about 5 hours. It had been an incredibly stressful and exhausting week, but we didn't really mean to spend the whole day on the couch, but the show did it. It's by Greg Daniels who was one of the main people behind The Office so it's not too surprising that it would be just dripping with charm. It's really ambitious too. They aren't the same by any means, but I thought a bunch of times while watching it about The Good Place and how Shur gave us his big, bold idea, outside of the box show and here is Daniels'.

Also binging it. I'm halfway through. I like the idea and the world but find just about every character unlikable. I'm guessing that some will make the journey to be a better person by the end but it is hard to want to spend time in a world where I don't like hardly anyone.

I can dig that. I was more charmed by the characters, particularly the leads, but my wife kind of split the difference between our takes from what I gather (her comment was that she really liked it, but "can you imagine if the performances were top notch instead of just "fine to good."). I'm not sure where the episode splits were, the whole thing is a bit of a blur for that aspect, but there may be room for the turnaround that you're hoping for. Thinking about where you might be I think there is some of what you're hoping for to come. Either way, I do hope there is a season 2 and if so the characters flesh out a bit more to pad that side of things though. Definitely a spot where they can grow. I really do like the concept a whole lot though. 
    CapeGabeElisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Black Sails.  Just read a book about pirates, so am loving the name dropping of real characters so far (Vane, Bonny, Rackham etc..) and the real customs (electing the quartermaster and the captain).  Just into season 1 so far.  
    You are in for an absolutely awesome ride. The 1st season is the weakest and then it just goes sublime. 

awookieeDoctor_Nick
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited May 7
    Not that it is really binge'able since the whole season hasn't been released yet, but I am surprised I am not seeing more attention for "Run" on HBO. It has Domhnall Gleeson and Merritt Wever leading the cast. It is a tight 30 minute, suspense-comedy about a couple who dated in the past and meet back up....and the rest is a mystery that is unraveling week-to-week. Its really awesome, and the two leads' chemistry is off the chart. There are 4 episodes available now, and if it helps, Phoebe Waller-Bridge executive produced it. 
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    Terriers on Hulu. Went in expecting one thing and am surprised to see where it's going. Not quite as sold on it so far as some of the praise I've heard over the years, but it's a single season, so I'll push to the end. 

I do appreciate the San Diego setting. I'm happy any time a series is set in a major city that isn't L.A. or especially New York. 
    ken hale
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Not that it is really binge'able since the whole season hasn't been released yet, but I am surprised I am not seeing more attention for "Run" on HBO. It has Domhnall Gleeson and Merritt Wever leading the cast. It is a tight 30 minute, suspense-comedy about a couple who dated in the past and meet back up....and the rest is a mystery that is unraveling week-to-week. Its really awesome, and the two leads' chemistry is off the chart. There are 4 episodes available now, and if it helps, Phoebe Waller-Bridge executive produced it. 
    I asked on The Watch FB page if anyone would really care if the train they were on derailed and the overwhelming sentiment was no. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I bought the entire News Radio series a few weeks back. Such a joy revisiting this great series.
    ChinaskiFreddy
  • Quantum Leap and BSG on NBC streaming, for no good reason. I've seen Battlestar before, but started listening to the Battllestar Galticast, which triggered a rewatch. I watched some of Quantum Leap during the original run with my mom, and got nostalgic when I saw it on. It's a little interesting, but doesn't quite live up to modern standards. 
    rkcrawf said:
    Quantum Leap and BSG on NBC streaming, for no good reason. I've seen Battlestar before, but started listening to the Battllestar Galticast, which triggered a rewatch. I watched some of Quantum Leap during the original run with my mom, and got nostalgic when I saw it on. It's a little interesting, but doesn't quite live up to modern standards. 
    It is funny that they went to such lengths of CGI'ing in Al in, because they didn't want his shadow as he is a hologram. Where it could easily have been hand-waved away with different camera angles, or explain it that he is just a vision of Sam's or something. Dean Stockton and Scott Bakula rarely had an in-person scene together because of that. 

But yeah, some of those episodes are really cringy, like when Sam is transported into a developmentally delayed kid or when he was a female. But others were really cool, like the two-parter where he leaps into Lee Harvey Oswald. The ending for that one blew my young mind. 
    rkcrawf
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    rkcrawf said:
    Quantum Leap and BSG on NBC streaming, for no good reason. I've seen Battlestar before, but started listening to the Battllestar Galticast, which triggered a rewatch. I watched some of Quantum Leap during the original run with my mom, and got nostalgic when I saw it on. It's a little interesting, but doesn't quite live up to modern standards. 
    I was obsessed with QL back in the day and I started doing a rewatch a few years ago with my daughter. We got through about a season and a half and then kind of lost interest because it has this weird religious overtone that I never noticed the first time I saw it. 
    rkcrawf
  • @Dee, Yes that is there. And it is just hokey, in some places. Like its an after school special. But there are some great moments. If it’s the standard 24 episodes a season, I can’t say I will binge the whole thing. I’m just going to hit the good ones.

I also closed the loop on Star Trek Voyager. I dropped off at some point, and I never got to see the finale. It was actually pretty good. I don’t think I could rewatch 7 seasons, but the finale was worth watching. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m rewatching 30 Rock and I just want to say that Maulik Pancholy is an under-rated gem. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Dee said:
    I’m rewatching 30 Rock and I just want to say that Maulik Pancholy is an under-rated gem. 
    Reaganing is one of my all time favorite episodes of television. 
    DeeTeresa from Concord
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Do YouTube binges count? Because if so I cannot stop watching the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen videos 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    fidoz said:
    Anyone else check out Normal People on Hulu? I'm just 2 episodes in but it's really good. 
    Just started this earlier tonight and I just finished the fourth episode. I can’t get enough. I love this show SO much. Whatever eventually happens between Marianne and Connell will surely break my heart, but I want know everything about their journey.

I love how this series is filmed. Everything just feels so REAL. I don’t know how else to describe it. The sex scenes early on were so good, everything felt so natural and their chemistry is undeniable. 

Shout out to 30 minute episodes. And shout out to Ireland, even though sometimes the dialogue gets away from me due to the accents.
    fidoz
  • Holy shit! The new season of Dead to Me is so good! 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 15
    Top Chef season 3, working forward from there.  It's interesting to go back and see some of today's most renowned chefs when they were not as famous.
    Dee said:
    rkcrawf said:
    I was obsessed with QL back in the day and I started doing a rewatch a few years ago with my daughter. We got through about a season and a half and then kind of lost interest because it has this weird religious overtone that I never noticed the first time I saw it. 
    Man, if you made it to the series finale, the religious overtones would knock you over with a hammer. I remember liking the finale, but looking back on it, it really was pretty obvious about that sort of stuff. 

Dee said:
    Man, I miss that show. Definitely not politically correct, but this clip will never not crack me up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abVadyreVJo

Travis said:
    Holy shit! The new season of Dead to Me is so good! 
    The first season blew my socks off. I am almost scare to start up the second, so I am glad to hear that it is amazing. 
    Dee
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 15
    @Garthgou81 I need to rewatch season 1 and do fear a little recency bias, but I think I liked season 2 even more. I did get SUPER into season 1, but man it gets pretty batshit in a really good way. I don't think you'll be disappointed. We finished it up a couple of days ago and were both super psyched with how it all went, and also super bummed to be done.