Best Under the Radar Shows?

Comments

• MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Schitts Creek.

I wasn't sure what exactly to expect, and it may have become one of my top five shows.

TravisTeresa from ConcordElisamajjam0770
  • Schitts Creek.

I wasn't sure what exactly to expect, and it may have become one of my top five shows.

I really dig that one. Fun show.
    majjam0770
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2019
    fidoz said:
    Raising Hope was a very underrated comedy.
    I loved that show. Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt’s chemistry and comic timing was what really made it. 
    TravisHatorianken hale
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2019
    *duplicate post*
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2019
    Not sure if it's under the radar anymore but Bon Appetit's Gourmet Makes with Claire Saffitz is the most delightful show currently being made. And it's all free on YouTube! Here's the original episode - they've gotten longer and more compelling over time, and you really come to love all the supporting cast.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2019
    Dee said:
    fidoz said:
    Raising Hope was a very underrated comedy.
    I loved that show. Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt’s chemistry and comic timing was what really made it. 
    Missed this post in the shuffle somehow. Great pull, @fidoz . Raising Hope was fantastic! Totally agree about Plimpton and Dillahunt. They were so wonderful together.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2019

Hunkulese said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Since there's already a strong Canadian theme, I'll add ReGenesis. One of my favourite shows of all time and Canada's best (only?) attempt at a premium cable show. It focuses on a virology-microbiology lab that deals with stuff like bioterrorism. Lots of (mostly) realistic science and phenomenal acting. Really digs into the moral and ethical ramifications of what we're able to accomplish through science. It's also probably Ellen Page's breakout role.

It's currently on Prime video and the Roku Channel. I might have to immediately rewatch all four seasons since there is nothing else at all on TV these days.

A friend of mine worked on that show...Peter Outerbridge is a dick.
    "A friend of mine worked on that show... "blank" is a dick."

That's likely something that's been said about every show in existence. Famous people that are nice to us normies are the minority.
    That's a fair point :)
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Not sure if this is considered under the radar but maybe in U.S., Peaky Blinders. Really like how each season is 6 episodes too. Makes each season a nice concise, cohesive story. And the dialogue and writing is some of the best on TV right now.
    Elisablacksunrise7
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2019
    I'd forgotten about this, but was reminded about it tonight...Nirvanna The Band The Show.  It won't be to everyone's taste, but if your sense of humour jives with the show you'll absolutely love it.  It's basically about two guys who are in a band called "Nirvanna The Band" (intentionally trying to confuse people about them being Nirvana) who are trying to get a gig booked at a (real) club in Toronto called The Rivoli.  Each episode is basically about them trying to pull some stunt to get noticed by the Rivoli's booking agent.  The show is a combination of being scripted and improv and it incorporates real people who don't realize that it's a show (like Borat).

Travisneilfgks
  • Borgia: Faith and Fear

I love this show.  It's like Young Pope-level spiritual introspection and Game of Thrones-level everything else.  The showtime one that came out around the same time always got more attention but I thought that shit was cheesy and unwatchable in comparison.

Terriers

Maybe not under the radar it's such a cult favorite, or maybe it isn't and only in my mind it is?  Hard to describe, in my opinion it's kinda like Big Lebowski but more grounded in a grimy modern noir aesthetic, while still frequently very funny.  Donal Logue is great in the lead, a recovering alcoholic private investigator.  Fantastic character.
    CretanBull
  • Does Freaks and Geeks count as under the radar?  Only one season before it got cancelled, tons of future stars and talent, was not very popular in its day because NBC botched its marketing and air dates.  What a great show though.
    CretanBull
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Dee said:
    Reno 911 

It just started back up again. It's only on Quibi though. I almost signed up for a trial, but get this: Quibi is only available on Android and Iphone. No PC, no TV.
    Dee
  • This one is not only under the radar but also in Danish and fairly old:

I recommend it every time I have the opportunity, as it's on my top 5 of TV shows.

It's a character-driven series focused on a Danish town spanning from the 30's until post-war times.
    CretanBull
  • Does Fringe count for these purposes now? I got a inclination recently and tried to find it and you can't stream it anywhere without buying it to my knowledge. F'n crime. That show was great.
    bizmarkiefaderneilfgksElisamajjam0770
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I don't know if this is UTR given the amount of promotion I've seen, but I gave Upload on Amazon Prime a shot and I've been enjoying it. Robbie Amell is a better actor than I previously gave him credit for.
    TravisneilfgksEine Frau
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Travis said:
    Does Fringe count for these purposes now? I got a inclination recently and tried to find it and you can't stream it anywhere without buying it to my knowledge. F'n crime. That show was great.

That's a huge bummer, I was thinking about rewatching Fringe ever since playing through Control over the winter. I thought it was on Netflix but that could have been years ago at this point, it's not there anymore.

Travisneilfgks
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 7
    Does anyone remember The River or Traveler (both aired on ABC)?   Traveler starred Matt Bomer and only ran for a few months.  Apparently the reviews were mixed but I thought it was great.  Its Wiki is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveler_(2007_TV_series)

The River aired in 2012.  It was a thriller about an explorer/professor-type who went on a quest in the Amazon and never returned, so his family goes on the search to find him.  I have no idea why ABC cancelled it.  Its Wiki is here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_(American_TV_series)#Main

TravisMattyWeavesCretanBull
  • Travis said:
    Does Fringe count for these purposes now? I got a inclination recently and tried to find it and you can't stream it anywhere without buying it to my knowledge. F'n crime. That show was great.

That's a huge bummer, I was thinking about rewatching Fringe ever since playing through Control over the winter. I thought it was on Netflix but that could have been years ago at this point, it's not there anymore.

Right?! That's what I remembered too. Must have been cast out in a licensing thing, or maybe no one was watching it. You can buy it from Amazon, but there are a shit ton of episodes involved so it isn't cheap. I'm still pondering doing it piece by piece, but it adds up fast. I may have forgotten to check the Fox ap, but I think I would have looked (unless we're locked into commercials and I dropped it for that), but it sucks. Fringe is really great.
    bizmarkiefaderneilfgks
  • Flukes said:
    I don't know if this is UTR given the amount of promotion I've seen, but I gave Upload on Amazon Prime a shot and I've been enjoying it. Robbie Amell is a better actor than I previously gave him credit for.
    I really dug Upload. Super charming and just a fun ride. That the Office/Parks and Rec tree just keeps on giving. I love it. I guess Greg Daniels has been developing it for like 30 years.
    Robbie Amell was a pleasant surprise. I remembered him from one of those CW shows (was it Arrow that he was on? I know his brother is Arrow) and never really thought much of him. Kind of pegged him as a replacement level "hot guy" but he was good. I came up with the joke watching it that they actually wanted to get Steven, but the role required that the lead be able to move his arms while talking so they decided to call his brother.

For what it's worth, I do like Steven Amell. I actually think he's not bad, but that a super weird quirk that he seems to have. Bizarre.
    neilfgksFlukesEine Frau
  • Rome is the best show nobody talks about. And it's only two seasons — with a fast-advancing plot and a bunch of humor — so it's an easy watch.
    CapeGabeCretanBullTeresa from ConcordElisa
  • Black Sails was an extremely well done show and I feel like most people don't know about it. I didn't up until the final season was released and that show was far more complex than what you would expect out if a TV show based on pirates.
    ReniCretanBullElisa
  • edited May 6
    In the U.S., The I.T. Crowd doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Don't let the laugh-track dissuade you, it's a gem of a show (and on U.S. Netflix).

CapeGabeDeeCretanBullneilfgksHatorianFlukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @darwinfeeshy Pretty much any British (or Australian for that matter) show that doesn’t involve Phoebe Waller-Bridge is under-rated in the US. You have so much of your own stuff the rest of us barely get a look in. 
    ShellyElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    In the U.S., The I.T. Crowd doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Don't let the laugh-track dissuade you, it's a gem of a show (and on U.S. Netflix).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass, and I’ve just finished my milk. 
    CretanBullHatorian
  • i'll shout out "In Treatment" (the US version)
    it was on HBO and starred Gabriel Byrne
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Treatment_(American_TV_series)
    would recommend checking it out, if it sounds interesting to you (available to stream from HBOnow/go/etc.)
    CretanBullDummy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Current: what we do in the shadows
    past: Jericho
    CretanBullFlukesfidoz
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    neilfgks said:
    i'll shout out "In Treatment" (the US version)
    it was on HBO and starred Gabriel Byrne
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Treatment_(American_TV_series)
    would recommend checking it out, if it sounds interesting to you (available to stream from HBOnow/go/etc.)
    Oh thats a great one. It is draining, just like therapy. But a really awesome show.
    neilfgks
  • The Riches
    This is one of those shows that I rented on a whim and ended up loving it. Starring Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver as Gypsy drifters that steak the identities of a family they find in a car accident. And they spend the whole show trying now to get caught while living the rich life, and they deal with Gypsy family members wanting a bit of their riches. 

Terriers
    I just love shows that only last about one to two seasons but here’s another one. Donal Logue is one of the most underrated character actors of the last two decades. The ultimate “that guy” actor and this show, premiering around the time of breaking bad’s hype, was a great one that got cut too early. The writing was dark, funny, and smartly written and the supporting cast is very strong. FX did this one dirty. 
    neilfgks
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Walnut Frey Oh wow, I remember The Riches! Eddie Izzard was great in that. He needs to act more. 
  • It's already been mentioned once in here, but since it just aired its finale and I've realized lately that it's one of my favourite shows of the last few years, I feel like I should talk a bit about Brockmire. Far deeper and smarter than a vulgar comedy about an alcoholic baseball announcer has any right to be, each of its four seasons are wildly different, yet all feel of a piece with each other, despite going in increasingly unexpected directions (if you don't know anything about the premise of the final season I won't spoil it, but it is wild). And on top of all that, it's just flat-out hilarious throughout, with Hank Azaria at his absolute best. A real overlooked gem.