Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Cory said:
    Dee said:
    @Cory We got that news - it was all over the Guardian Aus site for a few days. 
    Oh wow, it was an hour and a half from here.
    It was on the news here. Covered pretty thoroughly. But the people didn’t talk about it much. I had someone say to me, “what shootings?”Very tragic and sad. And many state governments are taking this pretty seriously. NY and California for example. 

PS @Dee Florida is the great US punchline. 
  • Dee said:
    It just astounds me that the US is pushing 70,000 deaths in a matter of weeks and the government has not only barely acknowledged it, but encouraging everyone to pretty much go about their business. Imagine if 70,000 American people died in a war within a few weeks. Or wiped out in a terrorist attack. We would never stop hearing about it. But this - eh. 
    Exactly! You would NEVER hear the end of it. But now we're losing approximately the same number of Americans per day (some days more, some days less) as were killed on 9/11. That's because $$$ > lives. They're rushing to reopen because then they can stop paying unemployment. Wharton has an alarming model predicting the number number of deaths vs. GDP and employment for several scenarios:
    Meanwhile, they issued almost 8000 warnings to people not wearing required face masks at a South Beach park and finally had to close it again because nobody would listen. A security guard for a dollar store in Michigan told a woman she had to wear a mask, so she stormed off, then her husband and son returned 20 minutes later and shot and killed the guard for "disrespecting" her. We have demonstrations going on where people are in close contact, with no masks, screaming and threatening violence if lockdowns continue instead of demanding better testing, safety measures, worker protections, financial assistance, or literally anything that would actually help. They seem to think that if we just fling the doors open and declare that we're back in business while tens of thousands of bodies pile up that things will somehow just return to normal again. It's insanity.

FlukesDeeGiovanni
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    The anti-vax movement is already gearing-up to oppose the future vaccine and efforts at contact tracing.

The lack of strong, consistent, national leadership in the US will result in a painful resurgence of the virus over the next few months and that same lack of leadership will make a repeat lockdown largely ineffective.

If we do climb up to that potential 3,000 deaths per day in June, a run rate of 90,000 per month, we’ll end up with over 500,000 this year. Flirting with US Civil War level fatalities.

Look around at the countries who have managed this better. There are many. You don’t need to be draconian autocrats like China. Look at South Korea, New Zealand, Iceland, etc.

It’s increasingly embarrassing to be an American.
    bizmarkiefaderMarcicdrive
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    LordBy said:

It’s increasingly embarrassing to be an American.
    It's especially frustrating because "flattening the curve" was mainly to buy us time to roll out measures to contain this and we have nothing to show for it. We're just trying to tread water and we're still losing thousands of people a day, and this is the fucking plan, not the bad scenario we were trying to avoid. Now we have states starting to reopen businesses so they can force people off unemployment while white nationalists storm capital buildings with assault riffles. It's tragic, so many people are going to die or have lifelong effects that didn't need to. We could have weathered this storm and protected working people but instead we're making an extremely large blood sacrifice to preserve the capital of the ruling class.
    MarciNoelGiovanni
  • Dee said:
    Hey @Evan, how are you and your family doing?
    Hey! We're slowly but surely coming out of the woods, thanks for asking <3. My brother got the worst of it, but he'll be okay. He's spending a lot of his time sleeping. It was just an unbearably uncomfortable few weeks. I can't adequately describe how awful it was to not be able to get a decent breath in for so long. My heart rate was pretty crazy at times, and that was cause for concern. My mother hadn't used her inhaler on a consistent basis in years, but it hasn't left her pocket. All around a shit time, but it looks like we'll be fine. I'm more or less asymptomatic now, aside from fatigue. 
    We got off lucky. We were lucky to just have felt incredibly uncomfortable. 
    I hope everyone is surviving here. Sorry for the wall of text. 
    MarcicdriveNoelFlukesDeeMichelleGiovanni
  • "Florida on Monday night removed data from the Department of Health website that showed 171 patients had coronavirus symptoms or positive test results in January and February, before any cases were announced to the public." Nine of the cases were in Orange County, where I live. I've been a little dismissive of people thinking they had coronavirus earlier than March here, but it looks like it happened. I had a miserable illness from mid-January through almost the end of February. I felt pretty terrible for almost 6 full weeks. I ended up at urgent care twice and my doctor once, got multiple chest x-rays, breathing treatments, steroids, antibiotics. I still wheeze a little at night. It still seems like it probably wasn't COVID-19, since I don't think I ran a fever, but I had a terrible cough, breathing problems, and extreme fatigue. If antibody tests become widely available, I might want to take one.

Dee
  • Oh man I really thought we were gonna dodge the protest idiocy here in Massachusetts. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Evan said:
    Dee said:
    Hey @Evan, how are you and your family doing?
    Hey! We're slowly but surely coming out of the woods, thanks for asking <3. My brother got the worst of it, but he'll be okay. He's spending a lot of his time sleeping. It was just an unbearably uncomfortable few weeks. I can't adequately describe how awful it was to not be able to get a decent breath in for so long. My heart rate was pretty crazy at times, and that was cause for concern. My mother hadn't used her inhaler on a consistent basis in years, but it hasn't left her pocket. All around a shit time, but it looks like we'll be fine. I'm more or less asymptomatic now, aside from fatigue. 
    We got off lucky. We were lucky to just have felt incredibly uncomfortable. 
    I hope everyone is surviving here. Sorry for the wall of text. 
    Don’t apologise for wall of text round here - have you not seen the rest of us blather on writing novels about our scintillating thoughts? 

That’s rough you guys were so sick, but given how much worse it could have easily been you do seem weirdly lucky. Stay safe and take good care of yourselves 
    Noel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 5
    cdrive said:
    God, the responses. The conditioning in America  is just a work of genius on the part of the right wing. It’s all about how they can’t afford to not work, the privileged rich can talk about staying home and being safe etc.

In Australia when this started, everyone was like “Well okay, but what are you guys (government) going to do to help us achieve that?”. There was no question about whether they would dish out money to support people and businesses through it; it was expected and it happened. I mean, it’s our money. 
    GiovanniMarci
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Think about how much energy and resources America spends making sure that nobody gets even slightly more than they "deserve" even during something like a global pandemic with mass unemployment.
    DeeGiovanniMarciDashEngine
  • MrXMrX CO
    asmallcat said:
    Oh man I really thought we were gonna dodge the protest idiocy here in Massachusetts. 

Never underestimate the townies.
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    Think about how much energy and resources America spends making sure that nobody gets even slightly more than they "deserve" even during something like a global pandemic with mass unemployment.
    OMG what if they spend it and help stimulate the economy? Oh the horror of those greedy freeloaders spending money which will help the economy start moving again!

The idea that folks are more worried about some working people getting one over on the system to have some extra cash to spend than they are about the large scale manipulation of the system by big interests, or even just by people with government relationships, is crazy. Stepping over suitcases full of money to pick up pennies.

There is not enough stimulus. Many industries will take years to recover in the best of scenarios, and some just won’t ever recover. The great thing about putting money into the pockets of people who live paycheck to paycheck is that the money flows right back out into the economy. Penny-pinching with this kind of nonsense, aid to state and local governments, etc., is going to look really foolish in the eyes of history.
    bizmarkiefaderMarciDeeGiovanni
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 6
    Just bought a Wahl Peanut on Amazon. Arrives next week.  Today for me was officially the first "Company Logo Hat Day"  It's getting hairy around here!  I was going to use a dog grooming Wahl we already have but my wife reminded me we have shaved clumps of dried poop from Heinrich's butt with that thing.  I was still going to do it but she wouldn't let me. 

FreddyMarciFlukesJoshTheBlack
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    @cdrive

Or you could always go to this town near me:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/governor-to-snohomish-barber-refusing-order-cut-it-out/

Feels like an onion article - this picture sums up half of America right now:

No one wearing masks, or gloves, or distancing. All for something that is very non-essential. I empathize that the man wants to work and make a living. But if you're gonna do this, demonstrate that you know how to do it with common sense safety measures. 
    cdriveGiovanni
    ^ God damn it's so dumb it hurts to look at!
    Noel
  • Considering that the older someone is the more likely they are to vote republican, and with who is most at risk of dying from COVID-19, "let's make a bunch of our supporters sick and maybe die" is certainly a strange political strategy. 
    Giovanni
  • To the extent there's any thinking behind it I believe the calculation they are making is that the risk they are accepting by reopening is the majority of deaths will be in minority populations who won't vote for them anyway. It's no less monstrous than the deaths of seniors, but it's how the people who acknowledge there will be deaths would rationalize the reopening strategy the US is bumbling towards. The people who think this is all an overreaction or a hoax are in a separate category all together.
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    “Lockdown vs Anti-Lockdown is peak polarization, has every element of highly fractious and counterproductive debates: 

- assuming the other side is all-or-nothing 
    - strawmen 
    - belief the other side is motivated by contempt
    - false choices
    - nutpicking (finding least sympathetic proponents and using them as emblematic) 
    - self-righteousness, overconfidence in one's predictions
    - not admitting when your side as vaguely formed was wrong (ventilators/hospital capacity predictions and flu-like contagiousness/mortality)
    - belief that what is happening is unique to your society/social system (America is middle of the pack in most dimensions when it comes to this virus).”

- Zaid Jilani
    FlukesJSDCA
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I didn’t think I’d ever say this but the Illinois governor is doing a pretty good job. And he’s letting the other states basically be the guinea pigs before opening up. Smart guy and the best governor we ever had. Daley did wonders for cleaning up Chicago but he was crooked. Pritzker is the man. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    This makes my blood boil...

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/nearly-1-5-us-children-left-hungry-since-211425720.html

spending 650billion on defense spend while our children starve. Fuck you lobby’s and Congress. I hope whatever happens in the afterlife they all get what they deserve. 
    MarciGiovanni
    Sorry - just a little bit of H-Town pride, but it was a gorgeous day yesterday when the fly-by came through:

Flukes
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I’d say they’re six feet apart. And definitely wearing masks. 
    cdriveLordByNoelFlukes
  • “Lockdown vs Anti-Lockdown is peak polarization, has every element of highly fractious and counterproductive debates: 

- strawmen 
    - false choices
    - nutpicking (finding least sympathetic proponents and using them as emblematic) 
    - not admitting when your side as vaguely formed was wrong (ventilators/hospital capacity predictions and flu-like contagiousness/mortality)
    - belief that what is happening is unique to your society/social system (America is middle of the pack in most dimensions when it comes to this virus).”

- Zaid Jilani
    Debate?  What debate?
  • - belief that what is happening is unique to your society/social system (America is middle of the pack in most dimensions when it comes to this virus).”

- Zaid Jilani
    Is this a joke? 6x as many cases as anywhere else in the world. 
    Dee
    Giovanni said:

- Zaid Jilani
    Is this a joke? 6x as many cases as anywhere else in the world. 
    I imagine the author was not including the total number of confirmed / reported cases as one of the dimensions to which he was referring.
    edited May 7
    tom_g said:
    “Lockdown vs Anti-Lockdown is peak polarization, has every element of highly fractious and counterproductive debates: 

- strawmen 
    - false choices

- Zaid Jilani
    Debate?  What debate?
    I imagine the author is referring to the wide range of competing views that have been publicly expressed (by a wide range of people with a varying range of expertise) concerning the appropriate timing and method of lifting certain restrictions imposed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
  • “Lockdown vs Anti-Lockdown is peak polarization, has every element of highly fractious and counterproductive debates: 

- strawmen 
    - false choices

- Zaid Jilani
    Experts v willfully ignorant should not be thought of as a debate.
    DeeDemic